[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

15 hours ago, Christina Leong said:

Madol needs to grow up. He needs to man up. He has loved kangsoon for so long. He will let her go if he knew the truth about yoobaek. It is more of letting her go to a right person. So he could be at peace. And start painful journey to find true love and getting over with kangsoon. I know madol will be fine.

I think this is why I think it will be Ma-Dol.

I know that it doesn't make logical sense. This drama's title is TOP STAR YOO-BAEK. K-drama rules dictate that he gets the girl.

And all the hot moments are between Kang-Soon and YB. That almost-kiss in the shower? HAWT. The way she looked at him when she woke up in her attic? HAAWWWT.

There is no sexual tension between her and Ma-Dol. When the villagers are rejoicing that they are getting married, she looked like she was being dragged to the gallows.

So why do I think it will be Ma-Dol? I don't know.

But I just do. I can't shake the feeling.

Sorry I'm making everyone :tears:

Just remember, I'm often wrong.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay!!! Friday !

K nets comments as translated by 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/01/top-star-yoo-baek-ep-8-spoilers-kim-ji.html?m=1

i cracked up at the comment : KJS has entered my frame ...( won’t ever forget that line ) 

Article: Naver 'Top Star Yoo Baek' Kim Ji Suk's sincere confession towards Jeon So Min, "Stay by my side" 

1. [+514,-8]
Kim Ji Suk's acting is amazing. I cried together with Kim Ji Suk today. This drama is healing and it's my life drama. How do I wait till next week?

2. [+323,-4]
Kim Ji Suk cried at the end, I cried together with him. Through Top Star Yoo Baek, actor Kim Ji Suk entered my heart. 

3. [+305,-6]
Ah. I feel bad for Yoo Baek, but my heart hurts for Ma Dol oppa who had waited for her for years.. What should Oh Kang Soon do.. 

4. [+209,-1]
Yoo Baek isn't good in dating, but he has this strange charm that captures people's hearts. 

5. [+177,-1]
How do I wait till next week......... 

6. [+107,-1]
I hope the ratings go over 5%, please. This is my life drama. 

7. [+93,-1]
Yoo Baek today... Why does my heart hurt so much for him? Why is he so pitiful? Anyway, I'm watching this drama because they have old songs. I don't hate any of the leads too. I'll have to watch this next week too. 

8. [+89,-1]
It's really interesting. They portrayed the meeting of a man and a woman who do not know each other at all and how they begin to have feelings for each other in a comical and sweet way.. Their satoori is good. I've watched it again and again, even the reruns. Jeon So Min is really good at acting. I'm looking at Kim Ji Suk in a new light too. How do I wait till next week? The island is so beautiful too.. "Let's eat~~~" Why do I like this line so much? 

9. [+93,-6]
Kim Ji Suk has entered my frame through this drama. 

10. [+68,-1]
Looks like Kim Ji Suk is good in all comical, melodrama and emotional acting. I'm acknowledging his acting skills, really.

12 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I know that it doesn't make logical sense. This drama's title is TOP STAR YOO-BAEK. K-drama rules dictate that he gets the girl.

And all the hot moments are between Kang-Soon and YB. That almost-kiss in the shower? HAWT. The way she looked at him when she woke up in her attic? HAAWWWT.

There is no sexual tension between her and Ma-Dol. When the villagers are rejoicing that they are getting married, she looked like she was being dragged to the gallows.

Sorry if I offend you, but I hope you're wrong this time round. I would really throw something at my laptop screen if the writers play us for so many weeks with the push-pull between KS and YB and not have them be endgame.

On a happier note, it's FRIDAY, chinggus! I've been waiting so long to see my darling OTP. I'm gonna count down the hours while listening to the new OST and chanting "kiss kiss kiss kiss" like a prayer. @triplem @turtlegirl will you guys be free for a live recap? :grimace:

39 minutes ago, joonminfan said:

Sorry if I offend you, but I hope you're wrong this time round. I would really throw something at my laptop screen if the writers play us for so many weeks with the push-pull between KS and YB and not have them be endgame.

On a happier note, it's FRIDAY, chinggus! I've been waiting so long to see my darling OTP. I'm gonna count down the hours while listening to the new OST and chanting "kiss kiss kiss kiss" like a prayer. @triplem @turtlegirl will you guys be free for a live recap? :grimace:

No offense taken at all! I hope I'm wrong too, honestly.

I'm in denial. But I just keep getting this nagging feeling. It's... weird.

I will be happy to be wrong.

I will live stream so long as it's working! Last week I was in panic mode cuz I really didn't think it would work. Hopefully it doesn't act stupid on me tomorrow.

I'm getting so anxious now. But I think maybe I have to set my expectations lower and be prepared for a stare-off at the end. But seriously if that happens I might lose it. Seriously. :neutral:

Lol.

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

English subtitles didn’t do justice on growth and development of yoobaek. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. 

Madol, to me embodies perfect second lead who gets in the way of love triangle. It wasn’t his story. It was more of his love story about kangsoon. Madol to me is not a 3D character. We only know his love story towards kangsoon. We don’t know too much about him personally. Madol gives support and challenge to Yoobaek to fall in love and pursue kangsoon. He also brings out the the fire from yoobaek to fight for the girl he loves. 

I wish there is better English subtitles for this drama. The message Is not about the romance of kangsoon and yoobaek.  It has deeper message behind it. The price of fame and how they deal with public and private issues. It raises an empathy towards people in spotlights.  Yoobaek embodies the person who had to deal with two worlds: private and public. How the world perceives him outside and in another world, how they deal with it. What is the truth? Truth is often blurred and exaggerated. Reporters aren’t looking for truth anymore. They wanted to have rumor and catch gossips. Revenage and greed are all over the place. It shows the fragility of celebrities living in the spotlights. We often forget that they are human too. 

If you watch episode five, it is the most important part of the drama. It tells the truth about yoobaek and its message. Episode five is actually a mirror to episode one but it shows different perspectives. Episode one is public point of view. Episode five is yoobaek’s point of view. That was when I realize that it is story about yoobaek. From there, we were carried into yoobaek’s journey. I realized that yoobaek is a tragic character with heart of gold. Because of several circumstances from being poisoned by trusted fan, lost his father in early age, betrayed by his mother, being used by his step father, and all kinds of things he did, yet he receive no simple love or gratitude. To save him from

embarassment and pain, he put up his tough exterior self. His CEO lived in fear around him. Namjoo became jealous and rival with him. He refused any interviews. He became most misunderstood man because of his strict code of privacy. Later on, I realized that his strict code of privacy is to protect his mom’s image. She was investing and banking from yoobaek’s name. Also of course she is his mom. He had a duty to protect her. If the public learned about his mom’s misdeeds early on, she would be ostracized. It started to contribute his cold character. 

He finally at the moment decided to reconcile with his mom. However the fate turned his world upside down for a reason. 

Kangsoon, in a way, became his fate. She is opposite of him in terms of personality but they are also the same. Both have heart of gold. Both are strong. Both have pain. It was a fate that will help each other to heal, to learn from each other, to help each other to grow, and to fall in love. 

Madol came to ignite the fire between yoobaek and kangsoon. He is getting in the way, giving more challenge to yoobaek. Madol is a gentleman but also very naive and simple minded. Madol made some mistake on kangsoon. Kangsoon didn’t have the luxury to love in her timing because madol needs to become ship captain and make her fall in love with him in uniform. No one is allowed to pursue kangsoon. So she ended up falling in love with her favorite singer. She did love madol but madol made her feel that she wasn’t desirable to make her dependent on him. Kangsoon grew up seeing madol as a brother and close friend. She thought he was calling her wife as a game. Nothing serious. 

When madol confessed to kangsoon, he pushes her because yoobaek is challenging him. Madol is flawed but he is still a gentleman which remains consistent. He understood and he didn’t want kangsoon to be unhappy around him. He actually try to force her to follow him so she can grow to love him. 

Namjoo got in the way, told the truth about yoobaek. 

The thing is that, the drama is telling us that yoobaek is one of a kind. His soul is pure but it was covered with thorns because of circumstances. He had to taste something so bitter (rejected by kangsoon several times) to understand the sweetness of life and happiness  when truth about yoobaek will set him free. That is why I always feel there is a deep connection between yoobaek and kangsoon. 

Yoobaek’s journey is what makes drama so special. The love triangle is just an icing to a cake.

If kangsoon chose madol, it is another story. It will be about village girl who chose to marry her childhood love in loveless marriage but eventually will love him over the time. It does not have consistency to the story as whole. Or like love story of DC’s parents. 

Guyzzz swipe to the 4th pic, Nam Jo visits KS in her store ..so think this is when he tells her about YB. That’s followed by her breaking down at the beach .  

The naver article is in the link 

Oooh yes! I get to Google translate again :D

[OSEN = Park Soyoung reporter] tvN 'top star Yu Baek Lee' TVN 'Top-star Yu-Bae Lee' (dramas Lee So-jung, Lee Si-eun / Director Yoo Hae-chan / production tvN), which is raising interest in Kim Ji-seok-Jeon Sang-yeop's indefensible and unpredictable triangular love line, (Oh Gang Soon Station) - Huh Jung Min (South Station). The two of them have wondered why they met again for the first time they met at the Seoul House of Kim Ji-seok. In addition to this, Steele Jung Soon Min - Huh Jung Min has been reunited in Yeoja Island, which is an 'outlying island of civilization'. They are called 'Ome' and 'Gregory Peck Namzo', and they are two people who emit a keel like kemi from their first meeting, but their reunion seems more embarrassing than joy. Huh Jung-min, who seems to be facing an unexpected situation, and Jang So-min, who became a speculative figure, are curious about what happened between them. Especially, I am curious about the story that Huh Jung - min left Seoul to visit.

In the meantime, it is reported that Huh Jung-min will show his beauty as a unique friend of Kim Ji-seok in the 9th broadcast on the 11th. It is going to be hard carry on 'Nam Pitt (south jeon + cupid)' which leads the romance of pure white couples to flower way. TVN 'top star Yu Baek,' the production crew said, "Huh Jung-min is going to play the role of Cupid of love, which is similar to Yu Jou-won, who is a strong support group of Kim Ji- Kim Ji-seok's almighty key as a messenger of love to be played by Huh Jung-min, along with the action of a pureblown couple's romance, should be confirmed with this broadcast. " tvN 'Top Star Yu-Baek Lee' is a top-hit "Yu-Baek" who crossed into the remote island with a big accident and meets the virgin 'Kangsoon' on the Island of Slow Life. Today (11th) night, 11: 9 is broadcast.

Yes NJ Cupid of Love, be our savior!!

Also, must Kang Soon's nickname be "virgin kang soon" lol poor girl 

Also what the heck does it mean they are called the "ome" and "Gregory peck namzo" though I did always like Gregory peck, what does he have to do with our kdrama lol.

I am all caught up. Man! Soo much is going on and soo behind on dramas. I literally binge watched a lot of dramas in the past 2 nights. Lol. :lol:

I am soo excited to see what will happen in tomorrow's episode. I am crossing my fingers that KS runs off at the wedding and YB finds her. From the MV, seems like that's the case. Cannot wait.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Guyzzz swipe to the 4th pic, Nam Jo visits KS in her store ..so think this is when he tells her about YB. That’s followed by her breaking down at the beach .  

The naver article is in the link 

Kangsoon breaking down in the beach is crying for Yoobaek. I think she felt sorry for rejecting and hurting him that way.  Kangsoon breaking down after the party wearing hanbok is crying for turning Madol down. She has no ring on it. You can tell it is about Madol. It took her so much courage and take a big leap of faith. 

No wonder she tried calling Yoobaek without answering him. He answered sadly. I think it was a moment she felt bad and worried that he may be suicidal. I think after the call, Yoobaek went to the pool and think about her. Oh dear. 

29 minutes ago, turtlegirl said:

Oooh yes! I get to Google translate again :D

[OSEN = Park Soyoung reporter] tvN 'top star Yu Baek Lee' TVN 'Top-star Yu-Bae Lee' (dramas Lee So-jung, Lee Si-eun / Director Yoo Hae-chan / production tvN), which is raising interest in Kim Ji-seok-Jeon Sang-yeop's indefensible and unpredictable triangular love line, (Oh Gang Soon Station) - Huh Jung Min (South Station). The two of them have wondered why they met again for the first time they met at the Seoul House of Kim Ji-seok. In addition to this, Steele Jung Soon Min - Huh Jung Min has been reunited in Yeoja Island, which is an 'outlying island of civilization'. They are called 'Ome' and 'Gregory Peck Namzo', and they are two people who emit a keel like kemi from their first meeting, but their reunion seems more embarrassing than joy. Huh Jung-min, who seems to be facing an unexpected situation, and Jang So-min, who became a speculative figure, are curious about what happened between them. Especially, I am curious about the story that Huh Jung - min left Seoul to visit.

In the meantime, it is reported that Huh Jung-min will show his beauty as a unique friend of Kim Ji-seok in the 9th broadcast on the 11th. It is going to be hard carry on 'Nam Pitt (south jeon + cupid)' which leads the romance of pure white couples to flower way. TVN 'top star Yu Baek,' the production crew said, "Huh Jung-min is going to play the role of Cupid of love, which is similar to Yu Jou-won, who is a strong support group of Kim Ji- Kim Ji-seok's almighty key as a messenger of love to be played by Huh Jung-min, along with the action of a pureblown couple's romance, should be confirmed with this broadcast. " tvN 'Top Star Yu-Baek Lee' is a top-hit "Yu-Baek" who crossed into the remote island with a big accident and meets the virgin 'Kangsoon' on the Island of Slow Life. Today (11th) night, 11: 9 is broadcast.

Yes NJ Cupid of Love, be our savior!!

Also, must Kang Soon's nickname be "virgin kang soon" lol poor girl 

Also what the heck does it mean they are called the "ome" and "Gregory peck namzo" though I did always like Gregory peck, what does he have to do with our kdrama lol.

Oh gang soon station, ome, Gregory peck namzo, nam Pitt (south jeon + cupid) oh my i laughed reading the translation lol

Namjoo is like unlikely hero and Cupid to soonbaek coupling. He has been affected by truth about yoobaek effect.

I also notice the truth about yoobaek effect. Anyone who learned about yoobaek started to get affected positively about about him, backed him up, and try to help him as much as possible while he is away. Even though he didn’t know, they just helped him. Yoobaek didn’t even try to explain and show his true self. He is very humble and very lonely. Dong man and namjoo became instruments to soonbaek coupling. CEO for his mom. I think the reporter pretended not to be affected. He probably will help. 

Madol had the village people backing him to help his marriage to kangsoon. 

True yoobaek effect is giving positive vibes on everyone. I don’t know how yoobaek would feel when he found out what everyone had done. It is just, he is good person after all. Like a sea urchin with spikes all around, but he is sweet and soft inside. 

It is not kangsoon made him a better person. He is actually really good person from the beginning. His true self saved himself. Kangsoon is a fate that opens the key to bring his true self back. And he earned true friends who helped him through scandals and toils especially namjoo. Kangsoon is a key. Everyone is instrumental. It is beautiful journey of yoobaek. He lost in the beginning. Gains back even more than he ever imagine: precious true love and true friends. 

I love the drama so much. He is deeply flawed character who deserves happiness. And he got even more gifts at the end. 

I love the chemistry and coupling of jeon somin and Kim jiseok. They are perfect yoobaek and kangsoon. This drama and the leads deserves so much more. They worked hard and bear the cold. They both broke down their image and put themselves in character 100 percent. They made us laugh, cry, and heal. 

I am grateful to be part of healing journey of yoobaek. I hope to see somin and jiseok to work together to bring more comedy, romance, and chemistry. They are so wonderful together. 

Wish top star yoobaek to get awards. They are absolutely amazing. Jiseok, you are handsomest, smartest, and warmest person ever! He did so much for yoobaek. Hands down to him for his acting chop and hard work. He is so far amazing. If you get to read right English subtitles, you will fall in love with him 100 times more. 

Top star yoobaek also reminds me of pride and prejudice. Yoobaek is very much like Mr Darcy. Elizabeth Bennett is just headstrong and smart oh kangsoon. If you haven’t read the book, you will enjoy the comparison. 

I think the ceo called the reporter to come to meet him to meet the special guest about yoobaek: his mom! Reporter came for juicy details but ended up finding out the truth. He will also realize why yoobaek damaged his phone for overhearing the private conversation. 

The world is competitive and cruel. It doesn’t care if you have feelings or not. It just out there to tell half truths and let the rest interpret their own way. That is problem to our society and growing generation where information is often misinterpret, usage for cyper bullying, revenge, or etc. It is painful world to live. No wonder celebrities always found refuge in isolated place and people see them without judgements. 

Their worlds clashed. Fate brought a village girl and city boy together. Turned their lives upside down until they fall in love. The fate decided to bind them together through pain and suffering but to earn a courage to have a leap of faith to be together.... 

**ahem** do us a big favour, please kiss. Kiss little more =) we are dying out here. I know it has low ratings but it did so well in reruns. It is best drama and best chemistry. It makes us laugh, cry, and heal. Top Star Yoo Baek, hwating!

I'm moping around at work lol I can't focus. Hoping today's ep jogs along the angsty bits and skips to the hooking up section but I probably won't be that lucky so I shall strive to be patient :D

Anyway I heard they're having the wrap-up party tonight so we'll probably get updates later. It's not the last episode yet but it feels sad somehow, probably why JSM put up that insta post too. 

15 minutes ago, tibba said:

I'm moping around at work lol I can't focus. Hoping today's ep jogs along the angsty bits and skips to the hooking up section but I probably won't be that lucky so I shall strive to be patient :D

Anyway I heard they're having the wrap-up party tonight so we'll probably get updates later. It's not the last episode yet but it feels sad somehow, probably why JSM put up that insta post too. 

I am with you. Lost interest in anything. I am just waiting for midnight to come. Just want to see it and go crazy analysing and enjoying the chemistry. 

Archived