[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

Yipeeee @stroppyse you are here. Happy that you are checking this out.  

Do you mind taking a look at this preview as well? 

Spoiler

Thanks in advance.

This drama is actually not officially  subbed by anyone in English. There are chinese subs, so one of our very dear members,  @joonminfan will  kindly and painstakingly explain everything to us. There are  also Indonesian subs and the subbed sites translate it from Indonesian. So a lot is lost in translation. Never had so much challenge watching a drama that i really love :sweatingbullets:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RobinM said:

I feel bad her innocence is or maybe going to be shattered when she see’s how mean and ugly snobby classist Rich Seoul people can be... Her accent, demeanor and naivety are ripe for bullying :(

It is going to be a culture shock for her and I think there will be some angst ahead. It is like a fairy tale now but she might find Seoul life not right for her.  The issue ahead for the OTP is how different their lives and upbringing were before this. That will be the main stumbling block , more than Ma Dol .

From stroppyse's translation, it seems she has not accepted his confession yet.

So best guess from the preview translation is he will ask KS to stay in Seoul with him? What do we think? Have a bad feeling she will be returning to the island without him, though. Especially now if the drama has been extended...more time for angst. But, I will not focus on that now! Just on the cuteness to come next week :)Also, do we think MD is completely out of the picture now? Hrmmm. I like that he was talking to that other lady and she seemed interested in him. Maybe he can still find love, too. 

Well there is grandma to think about. How can she leave her? And You know Halmoni would not do well in the city.  Yes, they will have to figure it out with the prerequisite angst but  I trust in a happy ending because this a happy show :) 

3 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

P.S.

I wonder how could KS recognize NJ from tv while not with YB who is the most popular top star. Lol

While in the motel room, she saw NJ on tv in a drama , the one where NJ replaced TOP Star . This was just before the espresso advert that YB was in . That’s how she could recognise him 

Thx loads @stroppyse  . Can you also take a look at these scenes ? I’m curious as to what she said to diffuse the awkwardness after the hug ?

This drama has such great “feels”!  I feel so bad for MD, he really loves KS, but it’s sooo obvious that he’s not the one who has her heart fluttering.  Too much familiarity, maybe??? 

Going to Seoul seems exciting to her now, but she is too pure and innocent to survive in Yoo Baek’s world.  This is his attraction to her, her purity and innocence.  We can already see the changes in YB, especially about his jeans!  He initially went crazy when he saw what halmoni did, then he thought better of it and let it go.  To me, that was HUGE for him.  His former narcissistic self would have protested much more, and NOT have worn the jeans, much less with the patches on!  I thought it was funny, yet very sweet of him to accept the heart with which halmoni patched them.

YB has met a woman who is NOT after his money, nor his fame.......she is just herself, very comfortable in her own skin and completely selfless. KS gave up her dreams because of her love for halmoni....how sweet is that?  The more YB learns about KS, the deeper he falls in love with her.  And wants to become a better person because of her.  But taking her to Seoul, in his opinion, is opening up the world to her...which I think will cause the angst that’s yet to come.  I’m interested to see how all of this will affect KS, and how their relationship will progress.  I wonder if YB will be able to give up his world????

@triplem thanks for the tag on the kiss bts! :wub: I'm sorry to fangirl here for a bit but KJS looked so shy when talking about the kiss that he is going to film. Swoon~~~

Did they really extend it to 12 eps? I really hope they have enough material for that. As I said, please do not prolong the angst, or the love triangle. YB still needs to forgive and make up with his mum, and I think KS will be the perfect bridge between them. I also want to see KS maybe going back to school since she missed her chance. If the drama lets us see that YB knows about this little bit of backstory, wouldn't YB try to let KS to fulfil her dream? And yes, so many of you mentioned what YB and KS are going to do if they decide to be together. Seoul? Or the island? So many questions!

Anyway, I blew off work for an hour coz I couldn't help but want to translate the last 10 (???) minutes of Ep 5. Here it goes. I will do the rest tomorrow.

Ep 5

Outside the Motel

KS: Oppa, what are you doing? Let’s go in quickly.

MD: If you don’t feel comfortable, I can spend the night at the KTV singing.

KS: What is there to be uncomfortable about? The motel is definitely more comfortable than the KTV.

MD: Erm.. ok.. (still hesitates)

KS walks to the door of the motel, looks back and goes up to MD to pull him inside.

KS: Gosh, let’s go in already.

MD: Seriously.

As the walk into the motel together, with KS holding on to MD’s arm, YB stands at a distance watching them. He looks really sad.

In KS’s room

KS: Oh my, this is really classy! (sits on the bed) The bed is really big, and looks very comfortable!

MD: Erm yes. You rest up then. I’ll be upstairs in Room 503. Call me if anything happens.

KS: Oppa, the rooms are expensive. Why did you get two? We can just share one. Go and cancel yours.

MD: How about this? You and Oppa can share the room, and sleep on the same bed.

KS: What?

MD walks up to KS and reaches out for her hair, then ruffles it like he’s teasing her.

MD: Gosh, how can you sleep in the same room as a man? Oppa is a gentleman so I won’t do anything to you. But if it were anyone else, then it’s a no.

KS: Why not?

MD: Because I said so.

KS: Why not we have some alcohol in the room then?

MD: No way. Whenever you get drunk, you will become crazy.

KS: That was when I was younger. Now, I won’t get drunk anymore. I’ve become really good at holding my drink. Come on, just one drink. (tugs on MD’s arm)

MD: No way.

KS: Oppa! (tugs on his arm until he falls onto the bed)

MD stands up quickly and snatches the TV remote control from the bedside table to pass it to KS.

MD: Watch some TV and then go to sleep. I’m leaving now. Bye! (leaves the room in a hurry)

KS: What’s wrong with him? He’s so petty. (looks at remote) So this is a television remote control. (presses on it) Power on! (TV switches on) Oh my oh my! They are on! People are appearing on the TV!

MD stands shell-shocked outside KS’s room, trying to calm himself down, then leaves.

On the TV in KS’s room, the drama that YB was supposed to be in is playing. Now, it’s NJ who’s the lead. It’s the scene that YB was filming when he was supposed to kiss the FL but kept getting interrupted by the reporters.

NJ: For you, I will live, and come back to become the King.

FL (sorry I forgot her name): Your Highness…

KS: Who is this man? He’s handsome!

On the screen, NJ and FL share a kiss.

KS: Oh my oh my oh my! (Closes her eyes. She quickly switches channels and sees that it’s YB’s coffee commercial) This person…

YB (on TV): I want to bring her the strong scent of espresso…

KS: Top… Top Star-ssi? (stares at YB on TV)

YB (on TV): The unforgettable taste of Golden Espresso…

KS can’t help but smile at YB on TV, and in the commercial, YB smiles back and winks. KS just looks mesmerised. (LOL) KS raises her right hand up to her lips, then catches sight of the bracelet that YB had given her that morning. As she touches it, she recalls what he said to her.

YB: I hope you will not get hurt again.

KS (patting her heart): Oh my… my heart… why is it beating so fast? Did I drink too much of the espresso… or whatever bitter coffee it was… just now?

YB walks along the road, looking really sad and resigned. CEO and NJ are drinking in a bar. CEO tells NJ how YB went to meet his mum that day because it was her birthday, and saw the miserable state his mum was in, because the man she married squandered away all the hard-earned money that YB had given to his mum. CEO feels sad that he forced YB, who must be hurting a lot inside, to go live on the remote island. NJ complains that CEO shouldn’t have told him all this, because now that he is feeling sorry for YB, his desire to overtake YB in terms of career has lessened. CEO says how YB only has NJ as a friend and asks NJ to take good care of YB, and promises that he will take good care of NJ too. NJ receives a call from YB from YB’s handphone and both he and CEO are shocked. NJ picks up. It seems like YB has asked NJ to do something for him, and NJ is all What?? Now??

MD is in his room. He takes out the ring and looks at it, recalling KS’s words from before.

KS: Oppa, I’ve always treated you as part of the family. You are like my real brother.

MS sighs.

KS: If this is my first time meeting Oppa, I would definitely fall in love with you at first sight.

MD seems to have made a decision and stands up.

KS is in bed, ready to go to sleep when the doorbell rings.

KS: Who is it? (opens the door to find an ahjumma outside)

Ahjumma: Are you OKS-ssi?

KS: Yes

Ahjumma: There is someone outside looking for you.

KS: What? Who wants to see me?

KS walks out of the motel to find a white car and a chauffeur waiting for her.

Chauffeur: Please get into the car. Someone has sent me to fetch you.

KS: May I ask who the person is?

The chauffeur just bows to her and walks to the car. The car travels along a long, windy road. The chauffeur switches on the radio, and Yoo Inna’s voice comes on. (I believe this is her cameo)

YIN: Choi Hee Jung’s story sounds really heart-wrenching, but you shouldn’t think of it as giving up on your dream. How about thinking of it as just a delay? There’s a saying from (book/movie/drama. Not sure, sorry) which says that “We may not always get what we dream of, and that’s what makes our dreams more beautiful.” Unexpected things will always happen. We may have to walk along a long, windy path, and maybe as we turn the corner, we will come across something new and unexpected. A new world may be waiting for me.

The car arrives at its destination and the chauffeur opens the car door for KS. KS steps out and walks towards the yellow flowers in the park, amazed to see them there.

MD takes the lift down to KS’s room and sees a note taped to the door of her room. It’s from YB and it says: You are a true gentleman. Thank you! MD crumples up the note in frustration and runs to the lift.

Back at the park. KS spots a man in a cream-coloured suit standing among the flowers, and tries to figure out who it could be.

KS: What is going on? (YB turns around)

KS: What? Top… Top Star-ssi? (YB smiles at her, and KS continue to walk among the flowers towards YB, exclaiming over them.)

KS: What are all these? (looks at handsome YB in his suit)

YB just smiles and snaps his fingers, and cue the fireworks! KS looks happy and amazed at the spectacle. (LOL, what is with kdramas and the need to use fireworks to impress a girl?)

YB: I have the ability to make flowers bloom in winter, and make countless stars fall from the sky. This is the kind of amazing man I am. I have decided to let Oh Kang Soon stay put in my world.

KS stares at YB, and YB takes a step closer to her.

YB: Congratulations, Oh Kang Soon. (LOL still so arrogant while confessing to her)

YB holds KS’s shoulders and moves his face closer and closer to KS’s. KS suddenly realises what he is going to do and closes her eyes and purses up her lips. (Is it just me or was KS’s reaction more scared than receptive? LOL) YB smiles at her reaction, says “I got it” in this soft, low, warm voice, then kisses her. (Cue high-pitched squeals from me, even though I still feel that it was an awkward kiss)

End of Ep 5

Ep 6 Preview:

KS: But where are we going now?

YB: To Seoul!

KS: What? What did you say?

KS: Oh my oh my oh my! It didn’t look like much from the outside, but inside it’s so grand and beautiful!

NJ: Hi, you are OKS? It’s nice to meet you. I’m YB’s friend, NJ.

YB: Go away!

KS: Oh my, you are the person on the TV! You look more handsome in person!

YB: You are hungry, right? After I change, I will cook for you.

KS: Say, can I take a shower here? (takes off her sweater and YB jerks in surprise)

YB: What?

KS: You can cook very well too.

YB: I know how to do everything, except for seducing a tacky girl.

NJ: I just saw YB’s girlfriend. She doesn’t look that bad, but gives off the vibe of a soup place ahjumma.

YB: Not bad, let’s go!

YB: How do you feel tonight?

KS: It feels like I have stepped into a different world, like in a fantasy.

YB: Are you ready… to give me an answer?

6 hours ago, joonminfan said:

thanks for the tag on the kiss bts! :wub: I'm sorry to fangirl here for a bit but KJS looked so shy when talking about the kiss that he is going to film. Swoon~~~

Did they really extend it to 12 eps? I really hope they have enough material for that. As I said, please do not prolong the angst, or the love triangle. YB still needs to forgive and make up with his mum, and I think KS will be the perfect bridge between them. I also want to see KS maybe going back to school since she missed her chance. If the drama lets us see that YB knows about this little bit of backstory, wouldn't YB try to let KS to fulfil her dream? And yes, so many of you mentioned what YB and KS are going to do if they decide to be together. Seoul? Or the island? So many questions!

Let me swoon along , as you can tell my fangirling tendencies can be strong. :D I like it most when he smiles . There’s this warmth to it .  Even his kiss , he was completely into it . IRL , KJS seems easygoing & funny when you see his variety programs, very unlike YB . 

( Thanks loads for the translations & explanations. ) 

I’m not sure if they extended but it used to be 10 then 11 and now 12 eps on Wikipedia 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Star_U-back

But then again when his stylist posted she had 5 more scripts left . So not sure if these are already extended 

Spoiler

I hv a feeling she won’t say yes to him immediately. What do you all think ?

I think there should be sufficient material for another 6- 7 episodes. 

1. He’s got to repair his relationship with mum 

2. He’s got to relook at his career

3. Development of their relationship 

4. kS finding her own dreams - studying again 

5. Some closure for MD ( feel a little bad for him but oh well she’s brother-zoned him) 

6. Teacher & doc love line 

Despite the drama seeing a dip in ratings on the premiere slot , this IG mention that reruns were at 5%

KS won’t be happy for long without a job or purpose and just shopping, playing, being arm candy as much as He might want to spoil her. Her getting a job or at least volunteering with the elderly and Getting more education is probable. Plus realistically it will help  a lot with the Gossip and nasty talk if the public and his people see a pretty smart kind  and hardworking girl not a  countrified “soup place” Ahjumma who is living off him.

She is great as she is but some modern polish and skills can’t hurt. If he got to get a little country, she can get a little city.

@triplem I would really like KS to wait a while before she gives YB an answer. Firstly, he needs to tone down his arrogance a little -_- and secondly, both of them really need to communicate about how their future would be like. Together in Seoul? On the island? Or maybe travel to and fro? KS would never leave her grandmother alone on the island, but as @RobinM said, it wouldn't hurt for KS to broaden her horizons, so she could go study. The island is a good place for YB because that's where he slowly "found" himself again. Under all that arrogance, there is a core of goodness, and KS saw it in him. So being away from Seoul for pockets of time will allow him to be himself again. I would like them to think about all these as these are huge decisions. But I have a bad feeling that some of the angst may come from the two of them not being able to / not willing to come to a compromise. YB wants her to stay, she wants to go back that kind of thing. Oh well, we shall see. I need my sleep before waking up fresh to complete the translations. Will get it done in 24 hours! :joy:

@joonminfan I agree! I  He thinks he can awe her into accepting him by extravagance and money simply because that’s the kind of people he has been around all his life. He already adores her but needs to realize she is type who is more moved by things from the heart.  

I think in the end they will build a nice, cozy but  very modern home on Island with room for Grandma and he will go back for Dramas or Movies as needed. 

Hi chinggus! Managed to find an IG account with translation of the kiss bts.

@RobinM thanks for saying so eloquently what I wanted to say. Although the wooing with flowers and fireworks was an eye-opener for KS, I would much rather YB show his love through small gestures. A home-cooked meal, a comforting hug, future plans that show thought and consideration towards KS and her grandmother. And @triplem the flowers and fireworks were nice, but a sincere, loving smile from YB/KJS is much much better. :wub:

@joonminfan Thanks dear for the bts translations. I do agree  with you and @RobinM about small gestures & acts coming from the heart. But I do think his confession with the fireworks and all was also done with utmost sincerity. This is the life he knows & it’s a lovely treat for KS . Enjoyed watching the Baby steps changes his shown thus far  - it might be jumping the gun a little to talk about their future . She’s got to first accept him :lol:. But I love the idea that @stroppyse mentioned above about them splitting time btwn the island & Seoul . 

1 hour ago, triplem said:

@joonminfan Thanks dear for the bts translations. I do agree  with you and @RobinM about small gestures & acts coming from the heart. But I do think his confession with the fireworks and all was also done with utmost sincerity. This is the life he knows & it’s a lovely treat for KS . Enjoyed watching the Baby steps changes his shown thus far  - it might be jumping the gun a little to talk about their future . She’s got to first accept him :lol:. But I love the idea that @stroppyse mentioned above about them splitting time btwn the island & Seoul . 

Oh I do think his confession was done with sincerity, but personally the smaller gestures speak more to me. Sometimes these big things seem a bit showy to me. But that’s just my opinion haha! When I wanted them to talk about their future together, I just thought that it would be good to talk about these things before getting together, rather than act on impulse, then later realise that they are not on the same page, and break up. As little angst for me as possible, please! :joy:

Ep 5

Inside a jewellery store

Saleslady: If you’re thinking of proposing marriage, this ring is really good. It’s called Soulmate – elegantly cut with subtly warm light.

MD (spots another ring): The Princess’s Smile?

Saleslady: Oh, this was designed based on a local folk tale. Once upon a time, a princess cried every day because she had lost her parents. Nobody could get her to stop crying. One day, a knight, who was in love with the princess, came to visit her. He had made her a ring with the flowers from her parents’ garden. The princess finally stopped crying and smiled.

MD: I’ll take this then. I also want to be the knight that makes his princess smile all the time.

Back on the island, MD is looking for KS after her parents’ prayer ceremony. He walks by the minimart.

MD: KS are you in there? (looks around) Where did she go in the middle of the night?

MD walks to the shore and stops short when he sees YB hugging KS. He pauses and looks at them, then turns and walks away. Back in his room, he stares at the ring that he had gotten for KS.

Beside the sea

YB is still hugging KS. KS still looks a little surprised and YB seems to realise what he has just done.

KS (thinking to herself): What kind of situation is this now?

YB (thinking to himself): Ah, why am I hugging her? Why did I suddenly cry? This is so embarrassing. What should I do now?

KS gives a fake yawn and YB takes the chance to step away from her, wiping his eyes secretly. KS yawns again, and YB pretends to be tired too.

YB: I’m also a little tired. Let’s go.

KS: OK. (YB walks off)

KS: But then… (YB turns back to look at KS) Why did you suddenly hug me?

YB: What? Ah… this…

KS: I’m not that dense, but I don’t think you hugged me because you thought I was cold. (YB swallows and hesitates) Could it be… that you… (YB stares at her, waiting for her to speak) you were trying to comfort me?

YB (with relief): Oh… ya…

KS: Thank you! But I’m really alright. I just thought, if it was always bright and sunny, how boring that would be. It would be more interesting if there were thunderstorms, isn’t it?

YB (nods): Yeah…

KS (yawns): Maybe I’m really tired. So tired that I wouldn’t know if I peed in bed. (YB rolls his eyes) Let’s go.

YB: Yes, lets go.

KS (walks, then stops halfway and turns to YB): Oh yes, do you know? I was right. You are actually a good person. (flashes a thumbs up YB and beckons for him to leave. YB stares after her)

In KS’s room, KS is lying in bed thinking of the hug. She shakes her head to get rid of the memory and turns to face her grandma.

Grandma: KS ah, aren’t you going to sleep?

KS: Grandma isn’t asleep yet?

Grandma: I keep falling asleep and waking up again. Do you want to go for a match-making session?

KS: What? Why do you bring that up suddenly?

Grandma: Just now, during your parent’s prayer ceremony, I thought if I don’t find you a trustworthy man to marry, I wouldn’t be able to leave in peace.

KS: Why do you say such things? I already said, I will not get married. I will stay with Grandma for a thousand, ten thousand years.

Grandma: How would that be possible? Things are unpredictable.

KS: I would never want to leave Grandma’s arms. They are so warm.

Grandma: Aiyo… my cute treasure.

KS: Yeah, it’s so warm. (hugs Grandma’s arm and closes her eyes. Grandma sighs and looks a little sad and worried)

YB is sitting in his room with the light still on. He touches the jar of sea urchins from KS and recalls her earlier words.

YB: What are these?

KS: Sea urchins. Sea urchins have a lot of spikes on the outside, just like you, so I want to give them to you as a present.

KS: Although sea urchins are full of spikes on the outside, they are very soft and tender on the inside. Sea urchins need their spikes to protect themselves and survive. I can understand the sea urchins.

KS: I was right. You are actually a good person.

YB smiles a little at the memory and glances outside the window. The goat bleats at him.

YB: What are you looking at? (Goat bleats)

YB: Hey Soonie (name of goat?), shall I give you a new name? Let’s get rid of that tacky name. (Goat bleats and it sounds like it’s saying yes)

YB: I have a Sunny at home, so why don’t you be its younger sibling? How about “Sony”? Sony. (Goat bleats and it sounds like yes)

YB (laughs): Sony, do you think that way too? Do you think I’m a good person? (Goat bleats)

YB: How would you know what kind of person I am? You don’t know anything. (sighs)

The next morning over the PA system, the village chief announces that he is going to quit drinking, and says how he is going to give away all his alcohol, albeit with a heavy heart. So to relieve his heavy heart, he is going to play a lively song to cheer himself up. Cue Micheal Jackson’s Billie Jean.

In the yard in KS’s house, we see the silhouette of someone dancing to Billie Jean. YB opens his room door and smiles to see that it’s a good day. He catches sight of the person dancing behinds the sheets and smiles. He starts to become more and more amazed at how good that person is and bops his head along to the music as well. As the dancer moonwalks into sight, YB is shocked to see that it is KS’s Grandma.

YB: Grandma?

A man voice’s from afar: Hoolllllll….

Grandma: Did you sleep well?

YB: Yes. But who is the person who keeps making strange noises from the hills?

Grandma. I don’t know. He never comes down to the village. He has been living in the abandoned house in the hills for quite a long time. But because he put up a “Out of Bounds” sign, we cannot go in to take a look. He just keeps shouting “Hoolll…”, like he’s warming up his voice, so I thought maybe he used to be a singer. (YB nods in understanding) Quick go wash up and have breakfast. Kang Soon and I have already finished ours.

YB: OK

Grandma (walks over to a pile of laundry and picks up YB’s pair of distressed jeans) Are these clothes to be washed? What is this piece of cloth with holes all over? (turns the jeans to the back)  The underwear will almost be showing. (laughs) Mr Top Star is really thrifty. (brings the jeans for repair)

In a Japanese restaurant, CEO is looking at news on his phone. The top three pieces of news are all about YB. #1: To whom does the cake belong? #2: Who is the one with the birthday on the day of the Awards Show? #3: YB is not self-reflecting, but in a relationship?

CEO: All these horrible news… they are not helping at all! Ah stress. (Reporter arrives)

Reporter Han: CEO, I’m late! Some other news kept me.

CEO: It’s ok, Reporter Han. Please have a seat.

Reporter Han: Yeah yeah.

CEO: How are things going?

Reporter Han: Things have been so boring lately. These scandal creators have been so quiet. And YB is doing self-reflection.

CEO: You are known as the relentless bulldog reporter, how can you have nothing to report on? I heard that you like sushi, so I specially invited you here. Please eat.

Han: Yes, this is good.

CEO: Oh yes, a few days ago, some trash broke into YB’s car and stole the cake that was inside. How about that piece of interesting news?

Han: Hmm I don’t think so. There isn’t any evidence anyway.

CEO: Are you sure there isn’t?

Han: Is there?

CEO: I guess… it must be some crazy fan. It can’t be a reporter right?

Han: Why would a reporter go and steal something? It must be a fan.

CEO: I think so to. There can’t be such a trash… trash… trashy reporter.

KS is falling asleep in her minimart and her head keeps rolling around. YB walks in, sees her, then quietly crouches down next to her to observe her. He smiles sweetly, and then gets an idea. He spots a metal pot on the shelf, and tiptoes to retrieve it. He turns it upside down then puts it on the table in front of KS. KS’s head keeps dipping downwards as she sleeps, and then her head dips down really hard and hits the pot with a loud clang. YB laughs like a cheeky little boy.

KS (raises her a head and the pot has a huge dent on it): What is this?

YB (stares at the pot in shock and picks it up): Wow, your head can really be used as a weapon! Wonderful!

KS (takes the pot): What are you doing? This is meant to be sold. I can’t even use it as a bowl for dog food now. What should I do?

YB: Then I’ll buy it. How much is it?

KS: 5000 won. (YB searches inside his vest pockets but he doesn’t have any money on him)

YB: Oh dear, I don’t have money on me. Put it on my tab.

KS: Looks like you don’t have any money, and you still asked me to put it on your tab? (turns the pot over in her hands) What to do? What should I do with this? Seriously.

YB notices the scars on KS’s right wrist. He looks at her, then removes the bracelet that he always wears, and puts it on KS’s right wrist.

KS: What is this for?

YB: Just wear it. This bracelet contains the brightest Sirius star. Our country’s top jewellery designer designed it specially for me only. The bracelet is as priceless as me.

KS: Then why did you give it to me?

YB looks at her, then grabs her wrist to show her the scars.

YB: I hope you don’t get hurt again.

KS and YB stare at each other for a long, heart-fluttering moment.

YB (breaks eye contact first and lets go of KS’s wrist): I mean be careful with the bracelet and don’t get any scratches on it. It’s insurance for the pot. (takes the pot and walks out)

KS: Why use such an expensive thing though? What if I lose it? (runs after YB)

MD: KS ah!

MD appears dressed in a suit and looking cool and handsome.

KS: Oppa! Wah, you really look like Alan Delon.

YB: It’s not Alan Delon. It’s Alain Delon, Alain Delon.

MD: Well, do you admit it now? I’m as handsome as Alain Delon.

YB: I’m not admitting it. I was just correcting her wrong pronunciation.

MD: KS ah, how is it? Don’t I look like a handsome gentleman dressed up like this? Totally different from SOMEBODY. Mr Gentleman.

KS: Yeah, really handsome. Oppa, why are you dressed up? Are you going to attend a wedding?

MD: No, I’m going to Daejuk Island. I want you to come with me.

KS: Me?

MD: Yeah. Today is a very important day for the two of us. Well, we can treat it as a date.

KS: Ah? What date?

MD: I already informed Grandma that I’m bringing you out. So let’s go. (takes KS’s right wrist and notices that she’s wearing YB’s bracelet)

YB (grabs hold of KS’s left wrist): Don’t go! (KS looks at YB in surprise) The pot… you have to fix the pot before you go.

KS (takes the pot from YB): Seriously. Everyone would think that I was the one who spoilt the pot. I’ll fix it when I come back.

MD takes the pot from KS and punches it from the inside, giving both YB and KS a shock. (LOL it’s even more dented now) MD pushes the pot back to YB.

MD: Is that ok now, Mr Unicorn?

YB: That’s ok, Mr Gentleman.

MD: Let’s go, KS ah. (pulls KS away)

KS: Oh… that…

YB is upset, scoffs and turns around to go home. Then he turns back to look at MD and KS walking away, with MD still holding onto KS’s wrist. KS looks back at YB once, but goes off with MD. YB goes home, all upset, and throws the dented pot into his room. He sits down and sulks. Grandma comes out of her room and we see that she has patched up YB’s distressed jeans with red cloth patches.

Grandma: I just fixed your jeans. Take a look.

YB (loudly, scaring Grandma) Grandma! (rushes over to his precious jeans and covers his mouth, grabs his hair in shock) Ah..  ah…

Grandma: You almost scared me to death. What’s wrong?

YB: These are branded jeans by world renowned fashion designer Karl Lagerfield! Why did you turn it into a rag?

Grandma: No matter what, if your clothes have holes, they must be patched up. And I sewed them on really nicely too, how can you call it a rag? I’m so disappointed.

YB: These jeans were designed to have holes in them! Distressed jeans!

Grandma: Why would you spend money to buy clothes with holes in them? You have been cheated of your money. And isn’t it better like this? Your underwear won’t show, and the colours are pretty too.

YB: Grandma, do you know how much these cost… (Grandma looks at YB in disappointment) It’s alright…

DC’s dad: What is with those jeans?

Grandma: I patched up the holes, but Mr Top Star doesn’t seem to be happy about it.

DC’s dad: I really want these. How about this? Exchange with me. (showing off his own jeans) These are branded. Oh… Sergio Valente… Oh! Sergio Valente! (A brand from the 80s according to the Chinese subs)

YB (snatchers his own jeans away): Forgive me when I say no. (walks back to his room)

Grandma: If you are not happy, I will remove the patches.

DC’s mum: What is wrong with Mr Top Star? He’s really angry.

Grandma: I don’t know. This temper of his. I thought he swallowed a chimney.

DC’s mum: Seriously?

Grandma: Why are both of you here?

DC’s dad: We wanted to make some rice cakes with these red beans, so we need your help. My wife says that she’s not sure of the amount of water to add.

Grandma: It’s not that difficult. Let’s make a bit more then, and share with everyone.

DC’s mum: OK

YB sits in his room holding his jeans. He then chucks it aside and looks at the jar of sea urchins. KS’s words to him comes back.

KS: You are actually a good person.

YB: I’m not! No matter how nice a person, he will still get angry seeing those jeans!

MD and KS arrive at Daejuk Island.

MD: Let’s go, KS ah!

KS: Oppa, why did you bring me along for your match-making session? What would I know?

MD: A woman will understand another woman the best. If you don’t think she’s good enough, just say to her “This is my man!” and stir things up.

KS: What are you talking about? Ah, what are you talking about? (hits MD) Oppa, your button is falling off from your shirt.

MD: Ah, it's ok.

KS: The first impression is very important! How can you go looking like that? Wait a while. (looks around) Where can I buy some thread and needles?

MD and KS are on the boat. KS is sewing on the button for MD.

MD: KS ah, if Oppa’s matching-making session goes well and marries another woman, will you feel sad?

KS: If I say I’m sad and not allow you to marry her, would you really do it?

MD: It’s possible. KS ah, if you don’t know me at all, and met me for the first time at a match-making session, what do you think will happen?

KS: Gosh, is the undefeatable Taekwando-V nervous about the match-making session?

MD: What do you think will happen?

KS: Well, if this is my first time meeting Oppa, I would definitely fall in love with you at first sight.

MD: Really?

KS: Of course! You are handsome, capable and have a good personality. There’s nothing to pick on. Oppa, you are very handsome, so have some confidence in yourself.

MD: KS ah, can I really confess with confidence?

KS: Oh my, you have not even met her yet. Looks likes you really want to get married, right?

KS: It’s done. (As she has no scissors, she bends down to bite off the loose thread from the button. MD is frozen in shock and almost stops breathing)

MD (to himself): Oh my, Father, Mother, your son’s heart is going to explode.

KS: It’s done. (MD falls back and lets out the breath he has held) Oppa, what’s with you? Are you feeling unwell?

MD: Pretty. (KS looks at him, not understanding. MD laughs and looks at the sky) The clouds are pretty.

Back on the island, MD’s parents and the two grandmas are cleaning the rocks.

(The shorter grandma will henceforth be named Grandma #1 and the taller one is Grandma #2 until I can figure out their names. Sorry, Grandmas!)

Grandma #1: We will have a good harvest of seaweed next year. MD’s dad is even helping us to clean the rocks.

MD dad: I have to work so that I won’t think about drinking!

MD mum: I wonder how MD’s match-making session is going.

Grandma #2: MD went for a match-making session today? He has already reached a suitable age to get married?

MD mum: It’s long over. He is already over 30 years old.

MD dad: Yeah

Doc walks past and sees them.

Doc: Hello everyone! (starts pointing at the sky) Oh my, Sky! SKY!

All of them: What? What happened?

Doc: It’s going to snow… (Everyone laughs)

Doc: I wanted everyone to take a break before resuming work.  If you stay in one position for too long, it’s bad for your spine.

Everyone: Yeah… please go ahead.

Doc: You have worked hard! (walks off)

Grandma #1: It’s not just MD. How about Doc? She is wasting her youth being alone. Isn’t there anyone we can introduce her to?

Grandma #2: Why spend so much effort to find one? We have Teacher Kang Min.

MD mum: Isn’t he a widower?

MD dad: Stop talking about this.

Grandma #1: What’s wrong with that? He doesn’t have children, so you can say he’s single. Anyway, the second marriage will definitely work out better.

Grandma #2: Let me be the matchmaker! I’m very good at judging people’s characters. If I feel that they make a good pair, they will be stuck together like glue and never be apart.

Grandma #1: Yes, you are really good. Then why did you become someone’s second wife?

Grandma #2: Seriously, Sister. Even a witch cannot predict her own fate. My own fate is almost over, so I want to help Doc change hers.

Grandma #1: Stop talking nonsense and get to work!

Grandma #2: Work, work!

In school, DM has just finished lessons with Teacher Kang.

Teacher: So, what homework should I give you today?

DM: Teacher, even when inflating the pig’s bladder, we have to do it with some rest in between. Then we can kick it around happily the next time. If we do it everyday, it will tear and spoil easily.

Teacher: What?

DM: It’s the same with humans. We also need to rest once in a while.

Teacher: Ok, no homework today then.

DM: Great! (celebrates) See you tomorrow!

Teacher: Alright, be careful.

Grandma #1 (as she comes in, talks to DM): DM, go slowly.

DM: Yes

Grandma #1: Be careful not to fall down.

Teacher: What is the matter?

Grandma #1: I have something to speak to you about. Can you come with me to a quieter place?

Grandma #1 and Teacher arrive at the female divers’ hut, where food and drinks are set out on a small table.

Teacher: Why did you prepare food and drinks?

Grandma #1: I have something to say to you. I’m feeling a bit shy. Please sit down.

Teacher: Yes

Grandma #1: Have a drink.

Teacher: Yes yes.

Grandma #1 recalls Grandma #2’s suggestion.

Grandma#2: It’s really simple. Just get a man and a woman to drink together in a small place, and they will develop feelings. Let’s just force the two of them to stay together in a small place!

Grandma #1 (feigning a stomach ache): Ouch… my stomach… ouch… let me go to the toilet. Wait a while please.

Teacher: Yes, yes please go ahead.

Grandma #1: Oh… my stomach…

Grandma #2 is at the clinic and Doc is on the phone.

Doc: Just nice, it’s the 18th. Oh, yes yes. Next week? Vaccines? Yes yes. Thank you. (hangs up) Sorry I took so long on the phone.

Grandma #2: It’s ok.

Doc: Where are you unwell?

Grandma #2: Erm… where do I feel unwell? (Doc looks at her with eyebrows raised and Grandma #2 smiles sheepishly)

Grandma #1 (outside the hut): Where is she? Oh dear…

Grandma #2 (comes running): Sister! Why don’t you go get a flu jab too? I just took one.

Grandma #1: Why did you come alone? Where’s the Doc?

Grandma #2: What’s with the Doc?

Grandma #1: Have you forgotten already? Why do you forget things so easily? Didn’t you say to put her and Teacher Kang together in a small room?

Grandma #2: Oh dear, what to do? What to do? Is Teacher Kang here?

Grandma #1: Shhh! I really don’t know what to do with you. Why are you like that?

Teacher opens the door and peeks out.

Teacher: Have you gone to the toilet already?

Grandma #1: Yes

Teacher: Please come in quickly then.

Grandma #1: Yes yes (turns to Grandma #2) What should we do? (pulls her into hut)

KS’s house. Grandma has just finished steaming the rice and red beans. She flavours the red beans with sugar.

Grandma: DC dad! It’s all ready! Come and pound the rice dough!

DC dad: Yes, don’t worry.

DC’s dad pounds the rice dough while DC’s mum rubs oil on the dough. Meanwhile, YB is reading a book titled “How to appear nonchalant” (according to the subs). DC’s dad accidentally hits DC’s mum’s fingers.

DC dad: Oh dear! My wife’s hand is hurt! What should we do?

Grandma: You hit her hand?

DC mum: It’s ok, it’s ok.

DC dad: What do you mean it’s ok? You’re getting a bruise! No, you must take a rest. Go over there and sit down.

Grandma: You really dote on your wife. Take a rest. Let me do it!

DC mum: It’s nothing!

DC dad: What do you mean it’s nothing?

DC mum: Let me do it!

DC dad: I asked you to rest! (forces her to sit down)

YB snaps his book shut and stands up.

YB: Let me do it.

He removes his vest and unzips his hoodie. (Abs galore!!!)

Grandma: You are going to pound on the dough?

YB: Yes, let me do it. I have trained my triceps, biceps, wrists, chest, obliques (basically he’s naming all his muscles), I think I am suitable to do this.

Grandma: What?

YB: Please give that to me. (starts pounding on the dough)

DC dad: Wow, you’re really good!

Dc mum: Anyway where did KS go? I haven’t seen her at all.

Grandma: MD brought her to Daejuk Island. MD was dressed very nicely today!

DC dad: Whoa! Then today is the day of the final battle! Looks like someone is going to go from “Oppa, Oppa” to “Honey, Honey”.

YB turns to look at them, furious and jealous.

Grandma: What are you talking about? They are just like real brother and sister.

DC dad: My wife and I were also like that before we got married. Then this toy boy came here from Seoul and kept pestering her. I was so angry, so I put on my Sergio Valente jeans and brought her over to Daejuk Island. Just once, and we got pregnant with DC!

DC mum: My goodness, this is so embarrassing! What are you talking about in front of Mr Top Star?

DC dad: I went a bit overboard right?

YB recalls what MD said.

MD: Today is a very important day for the two of us. Well, we can treat it as a date.

YB gets really upset and starts pounding on the dough with all his might, scaring the elders.

YB: Ahjumma, if you had chosen the other man, you would have been in Seoul, with everyone addressing you as Madam, and living everyday with thrill, living every moment like it’s a present. You would have been so fortunate!

DC mum: Living everyday with thrill? Every moment like a present?

YB: Yeah

DC mum: Yes, that’s very possible.

DC dad: What are you saying now? “That’s very possible”? How can you say that? Do you mean that you regret choosing me? Do you mean to say you would rather be with the other man? Or what?

DC mum: What’s wrong with you? Mr Top Star was the one who said it. I was just responding to him.

DC dad: I’m sorry, I’m really SORRY! I’m really upset now, so I’m going for a run! (removes his pink shirt and throws it) What matching clothes? Ahhhhhh! (runs off)

DC mum: DC dad! DC dad!

Grandma: This is the first time I’ve seen DC’s dad losing his temper like that.

DC mum (to YB): Mr Top Star, why did you have to talk about other people’s love history and stir things up? (picks up the stick and starts pounding the dough)

DC mum: Give it to me! Let me do some work! I’m so angry!

Grandma: Seriously. Why did you say so much, Mr Top Star? You’ve created trouble.

DC mum: I’m so angry!

YB leaves in embarrassment.

KS is looking at a menu and deciding what to order.

Waitress: Would you like to order?

KS: Yes (peruses the menu and spots something familiar. She recalls YB talking about espresso.) I want that… that.. espresooo…

Waitress: Espresso?

KS: Yes, yes, I want that please. Ah, please just leave the menu here. I can use it to cover my face and they won’t be able to see me. (MD is meeting up with his match-making partner)

Waitress: What?

KS smiles and hides behind the menu. Waitress leaves.

Lady: They were heaping praises on you, but now I can see they were right.

MD: What did they say about me?

Lady: That you are caring, that you are the youngest ever sea captain and very capable, and very handsome like Alain Delon. (MD flaps his hands in embarrassment)

MD: You too, are just like what they described. Kindhearted, and a very good teacher. They said you are like Sophie Marceau.

Lady (laughs): Sophie Marceau.

MD laughs very loudly.

Lady: Is that true?

KS: They seem to be getting along well.

Waitress: Here’s your espresso.

KS: Oh my, is this like a sample? Why are the people here so miserly? A fish’s urine is so much more than this.

Waitress: An espresso comes in a cup like this.

KS: What are you talking about? Why can’t you be more generous and fill a whole bowl with it? (Waitress leaves. KS takes a sip and scrunches up her face at how bitter it is.) Oh my oh my, so bitter! Bitter, bitter, so bitter! (takes a serviette)

MD: I’m really sorry. I wanted to meet you personally and make things clear to you. If it weren’t for that woman (points at KS) I think I would definitely like you.

Lady: There’s nothing that can be done. I’m so envious. I wonder what the person you are marrying is like.

MD: Actually I used the match-making session as an excuse to ask her out for a date. She’s over there.

Lady looks over and is surprised to see a serviette hanging out of KS’s mouth. Ks is trying to remove the bitter taste of the espresso. Lady seems a little aghast, while MD smiles at KS, probably thinking how cute she is.

Lady: She’s cute.

MD: Yeah, isn’t she?

Lady: Then I’ll take my leave first.

MD: Oh, you’re leaving? (both stand up)

KS: Oh my, why is she leaving so soon? (sips the espresso again) Gosh, so bitter! (MD comes over to join KS) Bitter, bitter, so bitter!

MD: What is it? What are you doing?

KS: Just this.. this espresso is so bitter. But I don’t want to waste it, so I’m forcing myself to finish it.

MD: Then order some juice.

KS: Top Star-ssi is always talking about espresso, so I just wanted to try it. Anyway, I thought you wanted me to take a look at your match-making partner? Why did you finish talking so quickly? She looks quite nice.

MD: I got rejected. She said she’s not happy with me.

KS: What? Are her eyes on top of her head? What’s wrong with my Oppa? That woman is really funny. If I had known, I would have given her a knock on the head.

MD: Ah this is so embarrassing. I’d better go home and tell my mum that it’s your fault for tagging along and spoiling things for me.

KS: Are you crazy? How can you say such lies? What is Ahjumma going to think of me? What should we do now?

MD: KS ah, it’s a pity to just go home like this. Let’s go on a date.

KS: Why do you want to go on a date suddenly?

MD: Let’s go and have fun, just like we did before.

Back on the island in the female divers’ hut. Grandma #1 and #2 are debating how to bring up the topic of match-making with Teacher. When he asked them if they needed a favour, Grandma #1 blurted out that they want him to teach them something. Grandma #2 looks shocked. Grandma #1 goes on to explain that she never had a chance at education because of the war and how poor her family was. Teacher then offers to teach them Mathematics. Grandma #1 wants to decline, but Teacher says sincerely how her attitude of life-long learning is impressive, and offers to start teaching them now. In the school, Teacher has written some sums on the blackboard to test their basic understanding. They are whispering and discussing on how to get out of it, but are unable to because Teacher keeps encouraging them.

YB goes up to KS’s hideout, sits down and looks around. He spots Taekwando-V the robot and angrily turns it around so that it’s facing the wall. He then chooses a cassette tape and plays a song, then looks at KS’s books. He finds her diary, and takes it out to read. He flips through the book to find a “shrine” dedicated to KS’s favourite singer.

YB: Is this a diary? Or a photobook of KYR? It’s filled with his photos. (he flips to the back to find KS’s university entrance exam pass. He reads through what she wrote and we see, through a flashback, of what happened.)

KS is taking her exam, when she stops and thinks about what happened when she left that morning.

Grandma: Do your best for your exam! I’ve already prepared the money for your school fees. Don’t worry, understand?

KS: Don’t worry. I’m afraid I will top the exam, so I will hold back a little.

Grandma: Our KS is the best. Aren’t you cold? Why don’t you put on a scarf?

KS: It’s ok.

Grandma: There you go.

KS: I’m leaving, Grandma.

Grandma: Go ahead.

KS: Gosh it’s so cold. I need my scarf. (goes back to her house and sees Grandma talking to her father)

Grandma: JP ah, your daughter is all grown up. Now that she’s grown up, it’s time for her to leave her grandma’s arms. (starts to cry, and KS takes all this in)

At the exam venue, KS makes up her mind and starts packing up. She is warned that if she leaves the exam hall, she will not be allowed to take the exam anymore. KS bows and leaves. MD is waiting for KS outside the gate, surprised to see her so soon. He waves at her, and KS smiles at him and waves back.

YB (after reading KS’s diary): She has been thinking about Grandma all this time. (picks up photo of Grandma and KS, then suddenly remembers what Grandma said to him)

Grandma: Mr Top Star, you really disappointed me! Why did you do that, Mr Top Star?

YB looks really upset with himself, and kicks around in frustration.

MD and KS are having a meal in a restaurant.

KS: Gosh, I’m so full! This is the same taste as the food we had after my university entrance exam! Everything else seems to have changed, except this restaurant.

MD: Yeah, since when has everything changed so much?

KS: I’m so full. Oppa, I’m going to the toilet to empty my stomach. (goes to the toilet)

MD takes out the ring he has bought for KS and stares at it. When she comes back, he quickly hides it from view.

KS: Oh my, there’s juice too?

MD: KS ah, when you gave up your chance to go to university then, do you know what I thought to myself?

KS: What? What is it?

MD: If the day came when KS decides that she wants to go to university, I will definitely help you, so I want to earn lots of money. That’s what I thought. Oppa has a lot of money now. You can go and get your masters, and even your PhD.

KS: Oppa, thank you. But, I don’t regret staying with Grandma. This is what I think. I should stay by the side of the people I treasure.

MD: KS ah, is Oppa someone you treasure too?

KS: Of course! Just like Grandma! (MD fingers the ring)

KS: Oppa, to me, you are not just anyone. I really treat you as my real brother. (MD’s face falls upon hearing this) I’m really thankful, Oppa. I’m also very grateful to Ajussi and Ahjumma, So you better not get bewitched by a pretty girl and forget your younger sister here! If you do that, I will knock you until you fly away.

MD: Why would that happen?

Grandma #1 invites Teacher to a meal at her house after the free Mathematics lesson. Grandma #2 brings Doc along, trying to create an opportunity for them to be alone together. But Teacher makes an excuse that it’s already 6 pm and he doesn’t eat anything after 6 pm as he is on a diet, then leaves. Doc, as well as Grandma #1 and #2 look disappointed.

Flashback to 20 years ago at a hospital. A woman is lying in a coma on a bed, and Teacher is asleep beside her. This must be Teacher’s wife. Doc walks in and puts a jacket on Teacher. After she leaves the room looking upset, Doc goes to buy a drink from a vending machine. She puts in a 10000 won note, but before she can choose her drink, Teacher comes up to her, grabs her and kisses her. They start kissing passionately, taking turns to lean on the vending machine buttons and drinks keep falling out of the machine. Suddenly, a loud beeping sound comes from Teacher’s wife’s room. She has passed away. Teacher and Doc look at the room in shock. Back at the school, Teacher cries while recalling what happened.

MD and KS go back to the pier wanting to go home, but it seems like the waves are too dangerous.

KS’s Grandma sends DC’s mum off with the finished red bean cakes and asks her to distribute them to the neighbours, and to make up with DC’s dad. After DC’s mum leaves, Grandma lays out some red bean cake and kimchi for YB. YB comes out of his room looking sheepish, and wearing the patched up Karl Lagerfield jeans.

Grandma: Oh, Mr Top Star, you are wearing the jeans! I thought you said you didn’t like them?

YB: Well, I can definitely carry off this type of patched up jeans.

Grandma: Does this mean that they are ok?

YB: Yeah, very cool!

Grandma: Come and eat some red bean cake. It should taste really good with this kimchi. (YB takes one and bites into it)

Grandma: How does it taste?

YB: Fragrant red bean paste, chewy glutinous rice cake, fresh kimchi, these tastes mix really well together!

Grandma: So you mean it tastes good?

YB: Yes, really good! (thumbs up)

Grandma: That’s wonderful! (YB looks really happy that he has made Grandma happy)

MD mum: Gosh, I’m so upset, so upset!

Grandma: What’s with you?

MD mum: It’s because of MD! He went to Daejuk Island today for a match-making session, but went to tell the lady that he already has a girlfriend, and even brought her there!

Grandma: MD brought KS there.

MD mum: KS? Seems like MD does not like the lady, and used KS as an excuse. Horrible! Wait till you come back! I will deal with you then!

MD dad: Mother, MD called just now and said that the waves are too dangerous for them to travel back today, so he and KS will spend the night at Daejuk Island and come back tomorrow.

YB: Village Chief! (scares everyone)

MD dad: What’s the matter?

YB: Let’s have a talk.

MD dad: What talk?

MD’s dad is driving YB to Daejuk Island on a boat.

MD dad: Mr Top Star, why do you insist on going to buy jeans on such a day when the waves are dangerous?

YB: Because I need to buy the jeans right away.

MD dad: Hold on tight, if not, it will be dangerous. Gosh, are the jeans really that important?

YB starts to think about all his interactions with KS – him diving into the sea to find her, him telling her that she has barged into his world, their hug, him telling her not to get hurt again – and realises that he has feelings for KS.

MD and KS are enjoying themselves at the KTV. They sing and dance along to a couple of fast songs.

The boat finally arrives at Daejuk Island, and before the boat stops, YB has jumped out onto the pier and starts running around looking for KS. He doesn’t hear MD’s dad calling after him to direct him to the place where jeans are sold. MD’s dad notes that YB is really in a hurry.

Back at the KTV, MD is now singing a slow love song and looking at KS. As he sings, YB runs around the island, opening doors of restaurants and cafes, drawing attention to himself as several people recognise him.

Outside the Motel

KS: Oppa, what are you doing? Let’s go in quickly.

MD: If you don’t feel comfortable, I can spend the night at the KTV singing.

KS: What is there to be uncomfortable about? The motel is definitely more comfortable than the KTV.

MD: Erm.. ok.. (still hesitates)

KS walks to the door of the motel, looks back and goes up to MD to pull him inside.

KS: Gosh, let’s go in already.

MD: Seriously.

As they walk into the motel together, with KS holding on to MD’s arm, YB stands at a distance watching them. He looks really sad.

In KS’s room

KS: Oh my, this is really classy! (sits on the bed) The bed is really big, and looks very comfortable!

MD: Erm yes. You rest up then. I’ll be upstairs in Room 503. Call me if anything happens.

KS: Oppa, the rooms are expensive. Why did you get two? We can just share one. Go and cancel yours.

MD: How about this? You and Oppa can share the room, and sleep on the same bed.

KS: What?

MD walks up to KS and reaches out for her hair, then ruffles it like he’s teasing her.

MD: Gosh, how can you sleep in the same room as a man? Oppa is a gentleman so I won’t do anything to you. But if it were anyone else, then it’s a no.

KS: Why not?

MD: Because I said so.

KS: Why not we have some makgoelli in the room then?

MD: No way. Whenever you get drunk, you will become crazy.

KS: That was when I was younger. Now, I won’t get drunk anymore. I’ve become really good at holding my drink. Come on, just one drink. (tugs on MD’s arm)

MD: No way.

KS: Oppa! (tugs on his arm until he falls onto the bed)

MD stands up quickly and snatches the TV remote control from the bedside table to pass it to KS.

MD: Watch some TV and then go to sleep. I’m leaving now. Bye! (leaves the room in a hurry)

KS: What’s wrong with him? He’s so petty. (looks at remote) So this is a television remote control. (presses on it) Power on! (TV switches on) Oh my oh my! They are on! People are appearing on the TV!

MD stands shell-shocked outside KS’s room, trying to calm himself down, then leaves.

On the TV in KS’s room, the drama that YB was supposed to be in is playing. Now, it’s NJ who’s the lead. It’s the scene that YB was filming when he was supposed to kiss the FL but kept getting interrupted by the reporters.

NJ: For you, I will live, and come back to become the King.

FL (sorry I forgot her name): Your Highness…

KS: Who is this man? He’s handsome!

On the screen, NJ and FL share a kiss.

KS: Oh my oh my oh my! (Closes her eyes. She quickly switches channels and sees that it’s YB’s coffee commercial) This person…

YB (on TV): I want to bring her the strong scent of espresso…

KS: Top… Top Star-ssi? (stares at YB on TV)

YB (on TV): The unforgettable taste of Golden Espresso…

KS can’t help but smile at YB on TV, and in the commercial, YB smiles back and winks. KS just looks mesmerised. (LOL) KS raises her right hand up to her lips, then catches sight of the bracelet that YB had given her that morning. As she touches it, she recalls what he said to her.

YB: I hope you will not get hurt again.

KS (patting her heart): Oh my… my heart… why is it beating so fast? Did I drink too much of the espresso… or whatever bitter coffee it was… just now?

YB walks along the road, looking really sad and resigned. CEO and NJ are drinking in a bar. CEO tells NJ how YB went to meet his mum that day because it was her birthday, and saw the miserable state his mum was in, because the man she married squandered away all the hard-earned money that YB had given to his mum. CEO feels sad that he forced YB, who must be hurting a lot inside, to go live on the remote island. NJ complains that CEO shouldn’t have told him all this, because now that he is feeling sorry for YB, his desire to overtake YB in terms of career has lessened. CEO says how YB only has NJ as a friend and asks NJ to take good care of YB, and promises that he will take good care of NJ too. NJ receives a call from YB from YB’s handphone and both he and CEO are shocked. NJ picks up. It seems like YB has asked NJ to do something for him, and NJ is all What?? Now??

MD is in his room. He takes out the ring and looks at it, recalling KS’s words from before.

KS: Oppa, I’ve always treated you as part of the family. You are like my real brother.

MS sighs.

KS: If this is my first time meeting Oppa, I would definitely fall in love with you at first sight.

MD seems to have made a decision and stands up.

KS is in bed, ready to go to sleep when the doorbell rings.

KS: Who is it? (opens the door to find an ahjumma outside)

Ahjumma: Are you OKS-ssi?

KS: Yes

Ahjumma: There is someone outside looking for you.

KS: What? Who wants to see me?

KS walks out of the motel to find a white car and a chauffeur waiting for her.

Chauffeur: Please get into the car. Someone has sent me to fetch you.

KS: May I ask who the person is?

The chauffeur just bows to her and walks to the car. The car travels along a long, windy road. The chauffeur switches on the radio, and Yoo Inna’s voice comes on. (I believe this is her cameo)

YIN: Choi Hee Jung’s story sounds really heart-wrenching, but you shouldn’t think of it as giving up on your dream. How about thinking of it as putting it aside for a while? There’s a saying from (book/movie/drama. Not sure, sorry) which says that “We may not always get what we dream of, and that’s what makes our dreams more beautiful.” Unexpected things will always happen. We may have to walk along a long, windy path, and maybe as we turn the corner, we will come across something new and unexpected. A new world may be waiting for me.

The car arrives at its destination and the chauffeur opens the car door for KS. KS steps out and walks towards the yellow flowers in the park, amazed to see them there.

MD takes the lift down to KS’s room and sees a note taped to the door of her room. It’s from YB and it says: You are a true gentleman. Thank you! MD crumples up the note in frustration and runs to the lift.

Back at the park. KS spots a man in a cream-coloured suit standing among the flowers, and tries to figure out who it could be.

KS: What is going on? (YB turns around)

KS: What? Top… Top Star-ssi? (YB smiles at her, and KS continue to walk among the flowers towards YB, exclaiming over them.)

KS: What are all these? (looks at handsome YB in his suit)

YB just smiles and snaps his fingers, and cue the fireworks! KS looks happy and amazed at the spectacle. (LOL, what is with kdramas and the need to use fireworks to impress a girl?)

YB: I have the ability to make flowers bloom in winter, and make countless stars fall from the sky. This is the kind of amazing man I am. I have decided to let Oh Kang Soon stay put in my world.

KS stares at YB, and YB takes a step closer to her.

YB: Congratulations, Oh Kang Soon. (LOL still so arrogant while confessing to her)

YB holds KS’s shoulders and moves his face closer and closer to KS’s. KS suddenly realises what he is going to do and closes her eyes and purses up her lips. (Is it just me or was KS’s reaction more scared than receptive? LOL) YB smiles at her reaction, says “I got it” in this soft, low, warm voice, then kisses her. (Cue high-pitched squeals from me, even though I still feel that it was an awkward kiss)

End of Ep 5

Ep 6 Preview:

KS: But where are we going now?

YB: To Seoul!

KS: What? What did you say?

KS: Oh my oh my oh my! It didn’t look like much from the outside, but inside it’s so grand and beautiful!

NJ: Hi, you are OKS? It’s nice to meet you. I’m YB’s friend, NJ.

YB: Go away!

KS: Oh my, you are the person on the TV! You look more handsome in person!

YB: You are hungry, right? After I change, I will cook for you.

KS: Say, can I take a shower here? (takes off her sweater and YB jerks in surprise)

KS: You can cook very well too.

YB: I know how to do everything, except for seducing a tacky girl.

NJ: I just saw YB’s girlfriend. She doesn’t look that bad, but gives off the vibe of a soup place ahjumma.

YB: Not bad, let’s go!

YB: How do you feel tonight?

KS: It feels like I have stepped into a different world, like in a fantasy.

YB: Are you ready… to give me an answer?

Just finished watching ep.5... To be honest, I'm feeling bad for MD throughout the episode, but yeah, YB is still the top star for us, and KS, so no chance for MD... However, kudos to the writer for writing such tender love triangle so well that I truly feel so bad for him...

I'm not able to write longer post as many things are jumbling up my mind preparing for the coming trip on Tuesday, but a gif request please @triplem I laughed so hard when the jeans turned up with red patches all over... Can you make gif of the facial expression of YB staring at the jeans? I tried to capture a still but it just doesn't do his exasperated expression any justice. :joy:

@joonminfan you're just as awesome as our Top Star for helping with the translation of subs!

22 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just finished watching ep.5... To be honest, I'm feeling bad for MD throughout the episode, but yeah, YB is still the top star for us, and KS, so no chance for MD... However, kudos to the writer for writing such tender love triangle so well that I truly feel so bad for him...

I'm not able to write longer post as many things are jumbling up my mind preparing for the coming trip on Tuesday, but a gif request please @triplem I laughed so hard when the jeans turned up with red patches all over... Can you make gif of the facial expression of YB staring at the jeans? I tried to capture a still but it just doesn't do his exasperated expression any justice. :joy:

@joonminfan you're just as awesome as our Top Star for helping with the translation of subs!

I feel bad for MD too as he obviously loves KS. Maybe if YB hadn’t been in the picture, KS may fall in love with MD eventually because he is a good person. But yeah, I’m #teamtopstar all the way. :relieved:

@ktcjdrama are you going to SK too like @triplem?  Enjoy your trip! 

This drama is my first attempt at translation, and I count myself very fortunate that the Chinese subs come out so quickly that I get to watch the new episode the next day. I can understand the frustration when you really want to watch a drama, but have nowhere to go to find subs. So this is just my way of giving back, coz I was watching “1% of Something” till Ep 10, and to my horror, that site refused to let me continue!!! And I couldn’t find any other sites that allow me to watch it. So can someone please help me? :joy:

Archived