Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

To be fair I have seen Dramas where the Hero  falls for (and reforms ) the spoilt richard simmons heroine not the  sweet girl next door :) 

But enemies to lovers and Girls falling for jerks is a trope that is hundreds of years old at least. Shakespeare’s  Much Ado about Nothing  is  one of the first examples. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

24 minutes ago, RobinM said:

To be fair I have seen Dramas where the Hero  falls for (and reforms ) the spoilt richard simmons heroine not the  sweet girl next door :) 

But enemies to lovers and Girls falling for jerks is a trope that is hundreds of years old at least. Shakespeare’s  Much Ado about Nothing  is  one of the first examples. 

Haha I’ve never watched a drama with a horrible FL before. That’s interesting! Now that you mentioned it, I remember Much Ado About Nothing from school. Enemies to lovers. But Benedick wasn’t a jerk right? Anyway in dramas, these seemingly completely jerky MLs all turn out to be soft tender caring guys on the inside. That’s why I’m hoping that YB will start to be nicer to KS. If not, even if it’s KJS oppa, it will be hard to root for him.

• Like 5

@joonminfan Watch Couple  or Trouble AKA Fantasy Couple From the Hong sisters. It’s hilarious:)  

Benedict has definet jerking Tendencies but Petruchio from Taming of the Shrew May be better example.

• Like 4

To be fair I think YB’s character growth & back story reveal are at the right pace . It’s a ten episode drama , so the love line is also developing as needed . There won’t be much time for them to drag the plot too much . 

Interesting note here 

KJS being a sweetheart 

Love the island folks 

• Like 8

@triplem I’m just too anxious to watch YB being sweet and caring towards KS, since there are only 7 eps left. And if the writer-nim decides to throw in some angst, that’s less time for sweetness! :joy:

I saw the IG updates too! KJS Oppa is so sweet. It must be really hard for the cast and crew to be filiming on the island. It’s now winter in Korea right? The sea must be cold! And JSM has to dive! I really applaud her bravery and professionalism. That’s why I’m hoping more people can appreciate this drama for everyone has worked so hard. Fighting!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, joonminfan said:

@triplem I’m just too anxious to watch YB being sweet and caring towards KS, since there are only 7 eps left. And if the writer-nim decides to throw in some angst, that’s less time for sweetness! :joy:

I saw the IG updates too! KJS Oppa is so sweet. It must be really hard for the cast and crew to be filiming on the island. It’s now winter in Korea right? The sea must be cold! And JSM has to dive! I really applaud her bravery and professionalism. That’s why I’m hoping more people can appreciate this drama for everyone has worked so hard. Fighting!

What’s killing us is that it’s once a week . So it feeds into our impatience as well.

Prior to watching this drama , i binged watched 20c Boy & Girl - where KJS was such a sweetheart with zero jerk behaviour - really the kind of guy girls should date or marry . So it’s really good to see his versatility here as a bit of a 1st class jerk :D

True , JSM is so brave . I read she  actually has a fear of water / diving - so it took her a lot of guts to do this. If I’m not mistaken they started filming in Sept when the waters are  warmer . Now it’s really cold . I’m headed to SK this week & I was told to prepare for subzero temps . I’ll try to live cap this Friday from my hotel room .  ( next level obsession   :lol:

the kid actors 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, triplem said:

What’s killing us is that it it’s once a week . So it feeds into our impatience as well.

Prior to watching this drama , i binged watched 20c Boy & Girl - where KJS was such a sweetheart with zero jerk behaviour - really the kind of guy girls should date or marry . So it’s really good to see his versatility here as a bit of a 1st class jerk :D

True , JSM is so brave . I read she  actually has a fear of water / diving - so it took her a lot of guts to do this. If I’m not mistaken they started filming in Sept when the waters are  warmer . Now it’s really cold . I’m headed to SK this week & I was told to prepare for subzero temps . I’ll try to live cap this Friday from my hotel room .  ( next level obsession   :lol:

the kid actors 

Yeah sometimes I really regret starting a drama when it’s still being broadcasted. I’ve dropped a few dramas coz I just couldn’t keep up the interest. Thank goodness this drama is only 10 eps!

KJS was great in 20th century. Such a sweetheart. The only other drama I watched him in was Likeable or Not, and his character there was a nice guy too. Didn’t watch anything else of his. I heard he was good in Rebel as the cruel king so I may check that out for variety. :lol:

I’ve never seen JSM in anything else before this, so any recommendations? I really like the vibe she gives off - down to earth and very earnest and sweet. She’s so brave to take on the role when she is afraid of water. I hope they have finished filming all her water scenes as it must be really really cold now.

I’m so envious that you are going to Korea! Have never gone before so that should go on my to-do list. Thanks for being obsessed together with me to the point of doing a live recap on your vacation. :joy:I will also try my best to do the translation. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, auntyem said:

@joonminfan, JSM was really good in 1% of Anything, with Ha Suk Jin.  You should watch that if you get a chance.  I became her fan after seeing her in that!

Yeah I heard about that! I don’t know why I didn’t watch it since I love rom-coms. Thank you for the recommendation!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, triplem said:

I’m headed to SK this week

:grin: So envious of you. Have a happy journey and please share your experience there. I also want to go at least once not sure if I will be able to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I finally started ep.1... what a hilarious episode!! I gasped and laughed out loud so many times!! :lol:

JSM is fantastic in her role. Then also KJS is looking so hot and smokin'.... I have never seen so many abs service in one episode of a drama... but of course, only Top Star can deliver that :lol:

Haven't got time to back read on the thread. Am trying hard to catch up (in the midst of other stuff) before ep.4 is aired. Will be back asap to craze out with you guys here :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

On 12/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, triplem said:

What’s killing us is that it’s once a week . So it feeds into our impatience as well.

Woooww you’re going to SK this week? They are still filming in Seoul, right? What if you run into them filming? :D:D 

Have fun in SK. Don’t forget to bring super thick jackets. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

On 12/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, joonminfan said:

I’m so envious that you are going to Korea! Have never gone before so that should go on my to-do list. Thanks for being obsessed together with me to the point of doing a live recap on your vacation. :joy:I will also try my best to do the translation. 

On 12/3/2018 at 12:48 PM, akiera said:

:grin: So envious of you. Have a happy journey and please share your experience there. I also want to go at least once not sure if I will be able to.

4 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Woooww you’re going to SK this week? They are still filming in Seoul, right? What if you run into them filming? :D:D 

Have fun in SK. Don’t forget to bring super thick jackets. 

Thank dears...SK is nice especially for us who love their dramas - I went last year in  June but sadly I did not see any OPPAS...none...cries... so wish me luck this round..and no the average man on the street does not cut it :joy:

@joonminfan I am really so glad for your recaps. The Eng subs are really quite bad...though I am very grateful to the fan who is subbing it. I have resorted to rewatching some sections in Indonesian as it captures the essence better.

Anyway out of boredom...I made  gifs of the last scene....so curious how KS will respond...I hope TVN will give us more preview scenes...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 12/2/2018 at 2:03 AM, akiera said:

Thanku @joonminfan :kiss_wink:

Can somebody post the knetz comments?

Finally someone translated ...

So many great comments for this drama and for our leads. 

Credit with thanks to http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/12/top-star-yoo-baek-ep-3-spoilers-kim-ji.html

[Top Star Yoo-Baek] Ep 3 spoilers, Kim Ji Suk x Jeon So Min x Lee Sang Yeob

Posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Article: Naver 'Top Star Yoo Baek' Kim Ji Suk to Jeon So Min, "Lee Sang Yeob instilled dreams and fantasies in you" 

1. [+399,-9]
Top Star Yoo-Baek is fun. 

2. [+302,-6]
Why is Kim Ji Suk so cool... ㅠㅠ Ah, and why is Jeon So Min's makeup so funny? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+172,-8]
This is really interesting!! 

4. [+86,-1]
A healing drama. The directing is calming, background is pretty, actors have good acting skills. But why is it only airing once a week? 

5. [+86,-1]
The only flaw of this drama is airing it only once a week. 

6. [+78,-6]
Oh Kang Soon is such an innocent child. 

7. [+67,-1]
Why is Yoo-Baek so pitiful? I kept tearing up. Every time he receives the love that he didn't get from his mother through Kkang Soon's grandmother, I tear up. 

top%2Bstar.png
Article: Naver 'Top Star Yoo-Baek' Kim Ji Suk to Jeon So Min, "You've entered my frame"[boundaries] 

1. [+1188,-11]
Airing it only on Fridays is unsatisfactory. Please air 2 episodes a week~ 

2. [+693,-17]
It's healing, interesting, and the scenery is pretty.. It feels like a well-made drama.. 

3. [+522,-7]
It's so interesting, why are they only airing this once a week... They are too heartless...... How do I wait till next week~~ 

4. [+301,-6]
This drama is totally interesting~ ♡♡♡

5. [+280,-1]
Kya~♡  How am I supposed to wait for a week? Kim Ji Suk, Yoo Baek is so cool. 

6. [+128,-5]
Jeon So Min abandoned her beauty and got her life character... I'm enjoying this and waiting for the next episode.. 

7. [+99,-5]
You've entered my frame... The drama is so interesting.. Ji Suk-nim and Jeon So Min match each other so well~~ How do I wait for a week? 

8. [+77,-1]
It's getting interesting now that Ma Dol has appeared. I wonder how much Kim Ji Suk going to be made fun of when he returns to Problematic Men.  ( I miss him in PM. He cracks me up all the time there :love:

9. [+70,-2]
It's sad that they are only airing once a week, but because it's only airing once a week, we get this standard of cinematography, script, and acting. It's such a good drama. It's interesting and touching. Been a while since I've watch a drama without feeling stressed. These days, I'm only watching this drama. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@triplem Have fun in SK. Praying that you'll meet some oppas shooting live drama :D 

I am still sad about missing the opportunity to see SJS in person while he was in Taipei promoting Terius last last weekend :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@triplem Have fun in SK. Praying that you'll meet some oppas shooting live drama :D 

I am still sad about missing the opportunity to see SJS in person while he was in Taipei promoting Terius last last weekend :( 

Thanks dear . Oh yes , SJS was in Taipei. Ahh I miss him & the drama. Have you caught up with this drama yet ?  I recommend using the Chinese subs if you can. 

Summary of k nets response 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Have you caught up with this drama yet ?  I recommend using the Chinese subs if you can.

Just finished ep.3!! :D Yes, I started with English subs but ended up switching back to the Chinese, because some of the English subs are a bit confusing.

Oh I love the village people so much... especially enjoying JSM and LSY in their roles as country bumpkins.... LSY is killing it in his role. I never expect to see him acting so goofy. I only hope that his character will not turn into a jerk because I really love him as OKS's oppa.... KJS is giving me new and different feel in this drama. I've noticed him since Cheongdamdong Alice, never really followed him, but he's so mesmerizing here :wub: Top star indeed :lol:

Preview of ep.4 is so exciting!! Progress, progress.... yes!! Can't wait!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I wonder how the first kiss will happen?  I know she can kiss like she means it so I hope it won’t be a dead fish or a lip smash type LOL 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3