[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ratings rose ! From 2.8 to 3.1%

Doing well on Daum & Naver 

Spoiler

Once a week is a real kill Joy . Now hv to wait patiently for subs . 

But sans the subs , it’s obvious to me that KS’s heart is also beating hard & it’s for YB. He for sure has fallen for her . That’s why she got so angry with him & vice versa  ... 

Rewatched this a few times :D

27 minutes ago, eunhyesominyoojung said:

Found it. It's now uploaded. Hoping for fast sub .....and recap from @joonminfan:kiss_wink:

Haha enjoy the episode. You may have to wait for about 12 hours for the translation though. Will try to do it earlier if I can!

Edited just to satisfy our curiosity for now:

The very last part of Ep 3:

After YB walks up to KS and stops in front of her…

YB: Oh Kang Soon, it’s you. It’s you who barged in. You barged into my world. (looks at her some more. And my heart is fluttering!)

Ep 4 preview

MD(???): You said you were leaving. Why did you change your mind?

YB: I wanted to confirm something.

KS: Do men and women think differently?

YB: You don’t really know men very well.

KS: What makes you think I don’t know men well?

YB: Even after I explain, would you understand?

KS: Why don’t you explain to me then? What men are like? I am after all a grown woman with a mature mindset.

MD: You silly girl. Which man in the world would behave badly towards a woman he likes?

MD: A man would become very insignificant/small in front of the woman he likes.

MD: Argh I’m so angry!

MD: You are afraid of being rejected, so that’s why you have not confessed until now?

KS: Does Oppa behave this way in front of the woman you like?

YB: Everyone will refer to you as the woman in charge of the fishery! (???)

KS: I was never in charge of any fishery.

KS: Shhh! Come out for a while.

KS: This is amazing. Lying in the water like this makes me feel like I’m being surrounded by warmth. This must be how it feels like to be hugged by parents.

KS: My parents’ ashes were scattered in this very sea.

KS: I knew it! You are actually a good person!

13 hours ago, triplem said:

Ahh granny is cleaning some utensils. Then she says that KS forgot her tools to dig abalone. He says I’ll take it to her . Granny was surprised. To thank you for your scrambled eggs . @annie1234 he says so many times ! 

He goes to Ks . She was getting ready to dive . And he gave her the tools, realised she’s got some injury on her hand . He was concerned & held it ..then he held back .. they continue their usual cute bickering . She’s talking non / stop , he’s still trying to put up his TOP Star front :D 

regardless , he accompanied her to go dive for abAlones . They continue their cute bickering at sea . He softens often at her admonishing him all the time . He may disagree with her on the surface but her life views and the things she tells him off about are touching his heart

:joy: My addiction to "Scrambled eggs" is fulfilled :joy::joy:. Thank you so much for recapping. Cannot wait to watch it with subtitle. 

Im Soo Hang cameo was GOLD. She is definitely the female version of TOP STAR-ssi. The way she said "YOU BACK" was hilarious. :joy: 

Why this drama is only once a week!!!!

Watched ep 3 with Chinese subs while eating breakfast and I almost choked on my food. My daughter who's also obsessed with this show laughed at me as I was giggling all the time.:P

TS is top knotch entertainment indeed as it has every aspect to entertain us. We watch dramas for entertainment and after some recent disappointing dramas, TS is a REFRESHING CHANGE! :wub:

I love the whole cast (know a lot of them through regular drama watching) and the island has my favourite variety show, 3 Meals A Day vibe! I've always wanted to stay on an island for a day during my regular Korean trips. So after TS, I will definitely have this on my bucket list for my next trip.:D

That scrambled eggs with salad and sesame/gupchang dressing had me laughing as it is one of my favourite self concocted recipes. Nowadays since I travel regularly to Korea, I eat almost everything with gupchang sauce and kimchi at home. :blush:

A big wave to @Plummpychan (Witches' Love) and at @akieraso you're a fan of 1% of Anything too?

7 hours ago, joonminfan said:

KS: I knew it! You are actually a good person!

Thanks for your translations . :kiss_wink:

So I’m guessing she can’t understand why she’s falling for such a “bad boy “

eh ?

looks like MaDol comes to Seoul too. . JSM posted updates of her with LSY & KJS . Too cute 

The IG translation has her teasing him being a jealous TOP star Shi because of her earlier post with MD .:joy:

I remember this photo was post up already, but I don't remember if anyone caught it, but it looks like Kang Soon is in Seoul with Yoo Baek. Also she's wearing his silver bangle/bracelet that he keeps wearing. 

I know this video was their promotion to go watch the episode, but it's like it was taken during filming and just wanted to point out some things.

CR to jeonsomin_jjang

Hi guys, sharing the first part of the translation. Will be back in a while with the rest! Thanks for waiting!

Ep 3

The episode opens with young MD carrying young KS on his back at night.

KS: MD Oppa, when is Grandmother coming back?

MD: Grandma will come back after you fall asleep, so close your eyes quickly.

KS: Yes.

MD starts singing a song which I believe is the theme song of the toy robot that KS has.

KS: Oppa, why don’t you sing me a lullaby, instead of singing this song?

MD: Your Guardian Angel will only appear when I sing this song. So next time, when you are afraid, sing this song ok? Then the Taekwando V Oppa will appear to save you. Understand?

KS: Yes

MD continues to sing the song.

(I think the toy robot’s name is Taekwando V or something but I can’t be sure, so let’s just take it as it is ok? Haha)

Next scene, KS has grown up and is sitting, crying, at the pier. MD comes holding something behind his back.

MD: Kang Soon ah! (sits down beside her) I’ve been looking for you for so long. Why are you sitting here crying?

KS: Oppa, haven’t you set off yet?

MD: I want to take a look at my ugly girl before I leave. (smiles at her while KS wipes away tears) Kang Soon ah, I will come back as a cool sea captain. During this time, don’t miss me and cry for me. You must take care of yourself ok?

KS: Yes (and starts crying again)

MD: (as he whips out the toy robot Taekwando V) Hey Taekwando V, your duty is to guard Kang Soon safely. Understand? (pretends to be robot) Yes Sir! (turns to KS) Hey, isn’t this really cool?

KS: Am I a small child? What in the world is this? (snatches toy from MD)

MD: Seriously! You look better when you’re not crying. Oppa really has to leave.

KS: WE must keep in contact often.

MD: Yes

KS starts crying again as MD walks away. MD starts making silly faces to cheer her up, and KS laughs through her tears!

KS: Stop it! Stop making silly faces!

KS looks at MD waving goodbye at her, and looks at toy fondly.

Back to end of Ep 2 when MD arrives back at the island.

KS: Madol Oppa!

MD: Kang Soon ah!

They hug and cry on the pier while YB watches from a distance, then walks away.

KS and MD walk back from the pier.

MD: I’m finally back! How are you, my future wife?

KS: Ah! Seriously!

YB sits outside KS’s family minimart looking at them.

KS: Why didn’t you inform us before coming back? Did something happen?

MD: Of course not! It’s just that I have not played the “Sell Frozen Pollack” game with you for so long!

KS: What? You want to play that game? No way!

MD: Come over here!

MD then proceeds to pick KS up and holds her horizontally behind his back, pretending she is “Frozen Pollack” and swinging her around, while trying to “sell” her.

KS: Stop it! Stop playing already!

YB (scoffing): They are playing so happily.

MD: Oh! This is my first time seeing this person on the island. Who is he?

KS: This is the top star idol whom Dong Choon works for in Seoul. But something happened there, and now he’s staying at my house. Please put me down quickly! Put me down! Hurry up!

MD (to YB): Nice to meet you. Just now, I was the captain of a fishing ship. But next time, I will become “Frozen Pollack’s” husband. I’m Choi Madol. This “Frozen Pollack” has my hands full. So? Do you want to buy some frozen Pollack? Only for 10 dollars!

KS: Ah! Seriously! Stop playing around!

YB: It’s alright. You husband and wife have not seen each other for so long, you should catch up. Let’s greet each other next time. (and walks away)

KS (looking at YB’s retreating back and sputtering slightly): We.. we are not husband and wife! Argh! It’s all Madol Oppa’s fault! Mr Top Star thinks that we are husband and wife! Put me down quickly! I asked you to put me down already! (and struggles down)

MD: What’s the matter? Didn’t you say that you want to marry me? Did you change your mind?

YB stops in his tracks.

MD: I sent Taekwando V to guard you safely. It seems like he didn’t do his job well. Where is he? I want to teach him a lesson!

KS (hitting him): Stop it already!

YB (to himself): I see. So the Taekwando V Guardian Angel is this person.

MD: Come! Let’s continue to play the game!

YB is about to walk off when the rest of the islanders come rushing towards him. YB thinks that they are there to see him and is about to greet them when they all brush past him to greet MD warmly and happily. MD also greets the islanders happily. YB shakes his head and makes his way back to KS’s house.

KS’s house. YB sees smoke coming out of the kitchen and rushes there, but he has no idea what to do, not knowing how the old-fashioned stove works. KS and Grandma come rushing back in time.

Grandma: Oh dear, what’s happening? Oh dear, my soup is all burnt!

KS: Grandma, stay away. (removes pot from stove)

Grandma (switches stove off): I was so excited to see Maldo, I forgot to turn off the stove.

KS (to YB): Why didn’t you help to turn it off?

YB: I have never seen this kind of stove before! How would I know how to turn it off?

KS: Oh my, haven’t you seen this before? This is a stove, operated by gas!

YB: Is this a stove?

Grandma: Oh dear, I don’t know how long I will take to re-cook breakfast. I’m so sorry. You must be very hungry!

YB: It’s ok. Let’s eat whatever is available. I also seldom drink soup in the morning.

Grandma: Or maybe, let me prepare for you some scr.. scra..

YB: What? Oh, scrambled egg.

Grandma places a huge bowl of scrambled egg on the breakfast table, to YB’s slight shock.

Grandma: If you want to become strong again, you must at least eat this much egg!

YB: Ah, ok. Thank you, I will eat well. (tries some) Did you put cow’s milk in it?

Grandma: We rear goats. I just use goat’s milk.

YB looks at the goats that Grandma is pointing at. And the goat looks back at him. Both are probably remembering him hiding in the goat shed. Haha!

YB: Ah ok.

Grandma (hands YB a glass of dark liquid): Ah, here you go. This is for you too.

YB: Isn’t this espresso?  Americano? (takes a sip and spits it out)

Grandma: This is a herbal soup that I brewed for a long time.

YB: Why drink herbal soup in the morning?

KS: Grandma, let’s eat bibimbap.

KS mixes together rice, chilli sauce, egg, fresh vegetables and sesame oil in a large bowl and shares it with Grandma. YB looks at them enjoying the food. I think he wants some too!

Grandma: Are you in a hurry? Why are you eating so fast? Slow down, you will get indigestion.

KS: After eating. I’m going diving in the sea to catch something. I want MD Oppa to see how good I am.

Grandma: What do you mean?

KS: He’s always looking down me, saying I can only catch small fish. I want to catch a big fish and show him my ability! I want to see the surprise on his face! (YB, meanwhile, is looking a little jealous)

Grandma: That’s just a joke. He really cares for you. Even a real brother will not do as much.

KS: I know. I know it in my heart.

Grandma (to YB): Since they were young, MD has always been very concerned about KS. He would do anything for her. There isn’t a high school on our island, so MD, rain or shine, will drive KS on a boat to another island (sorry couldn’t catch the name) for school. If it weren’t for MD, I wouldn’t know what to do about KS’s education. It wouldn’t be enough if I were to carry him on my back. What would an old person like me know? I only know how to cook for other people. I don’t know anything else. If I weren’t holding her back, KS would definitely be someone as successful as Mr Top Star with her intelligence! It was me who held her back.

KS: Grandma, what are you talking about? You have done so much for me. Although I feel sorry to my parents for saying this, but I am the most fortunate person in the world to be Grandma’s grand-daughter.

Grandma: Ok, Ok. My precious girl is the best. Thank you for growing up so well. Hurry up and eat.

MD is putting his things away in his room. He looks at a photograph of him and KS and teenagers and reminisces about the past.

Teenage MD is helping Teenage KS chart her height on a wooden pillar in KS’s house.

MD: Let me see how tall you have grown.

KS: Have I grown very tall?

MD: Wow, you have grown so much in such a short time! Just grow a little more and you can get married!

KS (holding her hand up to MD’s height): Can I get married when I get this tall?

KS stands up on her toes and this brings their faces really close.

KS: Sigh, when will I grow up? I need to grow up quickly so that I can marry Oppa.

MD: What? It’s still early. You have not even finished middle school.

KS: Won’t that be very fast? Anyway after middle school, I’m thinking of going to XX High School. (Sorry I couldn’t catch the actual name of the school)

MD: Why XX High School?

KS: It’s because Grandma’s knees are weak. I will study while taking care of her.

MD: Wow, when has our KS become so thoughtful? Looks like you are ready to get married.

KS: That’s what I said. Anyway, Oppa, what should I eat to grow up faster?

MD: Frozen Pollack!

KS: What? Oppa, you want to play that game again? I don’t want to be “Frozen Pollack”!

MD picks KS up for the game and KS asks him to stop it.

Back to the present, MD’s mum asks for him and he brings his parents the presents he got for them. But before he leaves his room, he hides a little box (which looks it contains jewellery. Maybe a ring?) in his drawer.

He got his dad some supplements and his mum cosmetics. His mum exclaims over how expensive they must be and MD says that they are cheap, so to eat / use them often. Dad asks for some alcohol next time instead, and gets hit by MD’s mum. MD’s mum comments on how rough MD’s skin has become, and how he must be having it hard on the ship at sea. MD’s dad says that young people must be able to endure hardship, and MD and Dad say in unison how a sea captain must “eat the wind as food, and use the rain as shelter”, before laughing. Mum comments on how alike they are, and cautions MD not to be like his dad – sleeping anywhere on the floor after drinking. MD admonishes his dad and his dad says he only does that sometimes. Dad then asks when MD is going back, and MD hesitates before saying that he’s not going back. He tells his parents that he has earned enough money, so now it’s time for him to get married and bear grandchildren for them. Dad is supportive of MD but Mum feels that it is a waste of his ability, since MD is the youngest ever sea captain and earns a high salary, even appearing on the newspapers. She says she is very proud of MD. Dad admonishes her that their son does not exist to make her proud, and it’s most important that MD is happy. Dad asks MD if he has a girl he likes, and Mum says it’s not possible since he is at sea all the time. Mum wants to set him up, but MD says he will find his own wife. He then takes his leave to go around the island on his motorbike since he hasn’t been back in a long time.

At Kang Soon’s house, Grandma is busy scrubbing the burnt soup pot and KS leaves to go fishing. Grandma calls after her to be careful while YB watches them. Grandma comments on how happy KS is now that MD is back and YB doesn’t look happy. Grandma suddenly realises that KS left her fishing tools and YM immediately turns back from his bedroom door. Grandma asks YB to bring the tools to KS since he has longer legs and can walk faster, and YB complies, saying how he will do so on account of her making scrambled eggs for him for breakfast.

YB waits for KS outside the hut where KS was changing into her diving suit and calls out to her, giving her a scare.

KS: My goodness, you scared me.

YB: Did you forget to bring your weapons to the battlefield?

KS: What are you talking about?

YB: Are you planning to catch fish with your iron head? If not, bring these along.

KS: Oh my goodness, what happened? I actually forgot to bring these. But what is happening here? Mr Top Star is actually delivering things to me himself?

YB: Grandma asked me to come, so I did. I wouldn’t come if you were the one who asked for the favour.

KS: Yes yes yes. (rolls up right sleeve to reveal some scars on her wrist and forearm)

YB sees the scars and grabs her right arm in concern.

YB: Wait a minute! What is wrong with your wrist? Why are there so many scars?

KS: Ah it’s ok. Female divers all have scars.

YB continues to stare at her wrist in concern.

KS: Well, if you have finished looking at the scars, please give me back my hand.

YB: Oh.

KS: Since you’re here, why don’t you come watch me catch abalone? I’m sure you wouldn’t have a chance to see this in Seoul.

YB: I’m not a tourist, why would I want to watch that?

KS: I am the island’s Mermaid Princess. You will regret it for life if you don’t come and watch.

YB: I will never regret it. Besides, how can you be a Mermaid Princess? Are you sure you are not Frozen Pollack?

KS: Alright, then Frozen Pollack will go out to sea and start work. Go home on your own then. (walks off)

YB: I will go and take a look.

KS: Wow, you changed your mind pretty fast.

YB: Well, my next drama is about diving, so I will take it as a rehearsal. Do you think it’s easy being a Top Star? Being prepared and working hard is 20% of my job.

KS: How about the remaining 80%?

YB: A perfect body from top to toe.

KS: My goodness, self-praise again. Aiyo!

YB: What self-praise? What I am saying is a fact!

At the seaside, YB is watching as KS comes up for air after having gotten an abalone. YB moves closer to KS.

KS: Wow, today’s abalone is really fresh!

YB: You really are a frozen Pollack! How can you stay in the water for so long without coming up for air? Can you breathe in water?

KS: Oh this is nothing. Every female diver can stay underwater for different lengths of time. For me, it’s about one minute.

YB: One minute?

KS: Yeah, I have to quickly collect the abalone within one minute. If I get greedy for the big ones and don’t come up in time for air, I will have to see the King of Hell. So I say, in order to dive for seafood, I first have to learn how to give up and let go. Isn’t it the same in life? Something must be empty in order for something else to go in.

YB: Now I see your old-fashion nature comes from all these traditional sayings. You sound just like a grandmother. (gets splashed by KS)

KS: Seriously!

YB: Anyway, aren’t you afraid, going diving without any equipment?

KS: I’m not scared at all. I’ve been diving since I was 9, and what’s amazing is I always feel so warm and comfortable when I’m in the water. I don’t know about other things, but I’m pretty sure this is how it feels like being in my parent’s arms. (looks at YB for a second) My parents are in the sea. All these seafood are presents from my parents.

YB smiles at her words.

KS: This is what MD Oppa told me.

YB: This are just the thoughts of an elementary school student! Giving kids unrealistic fantasies to cover up non-existent truths. This is useless in real life!

KS: Seriously! Isn’t it good to have dreams and fantasies? It’s such a happy thing!

YB: When your fantasies are gone, the hard truths will cause you more disappointment. You must face the facts, so that you will not get hurt.

KS: Goodness, why are you so twisted? Don’t people say that dreams will come true if you believe in them? Look at all these seafood. They are presents from my parents. You think this abalone isn’t real? Haha! Seriously.

MD rides around the island, greeting the islanders. MD’s dad announces over the PA system that he is having a welcome back party for MD and invites everyone. DC’s dad races past MD, carrying DC’s mum in his arms to the clinic. MD smiles and comments on how loving the two of them are. MD comes across the two grandmothers making radish kimchi and having an argument over whether it is too bland or too salty. He compliments the two of them for being still so young and pretty, and tastes the kimchi.

YB waits outside the hut for KS to change out of her diving suit, holding on to her net basket of seafood.

YB: Come out quicky! Why are you taking so long to change?

KS: It’s difficult to change out of this diving suit. I need to use a lot of strength.

YB: I’m used to having people wait for me, not the other way round, not even for one minute.

KS: Alright, I know.

Suddenly there is a loud thump in the hut. KS has probably fallen down and YB turns around, wanting to open the door to check on her but is stopped by MD.

MD: Hey, a gentleman shouldn’t behave this way.

YB: Then a gentleman should ignore someone who has fallen down?

YB pulls the door open and asks KS if she is alright.

KS: Yes, it’s no big deal. Oppa, why are you here?

MD: I’m a frozen Pollack seller. Why do you think I’m here?

KS: Again?? I told you, I don’t want to be frozen Pollack! It’s not fun anymore! (runs off)

MD: Then I should sell ribbonfish instead! Frozen Pollack has grown too big! (runs off after KS) Once I catch you, I will do “that thing”!

YB (scoffs): So childish! (realises he is still holding on to the seafood) Hey, you should take this with you! Do you think I’m someone to be carrying stuff like these? I’m just leaving this here!

YB arrives back at KS’s house with the seafood, and sees MD and KS against a pillar, looking like they are making out.

KS: Why can’t you do this correctly? Aim properly.

MD: Stand still and stop moving!

YB (incredulous): In broad daylight? (walks over to them)

KS: Are you sure you have measured correctly?

MD: Look, isn’t this correct? Wow you have really grown.

YB: Hey, what is this? Am I supposed to help you carry things?

KS: Oh my, I forgot about this. I say, knowing your nature, why didn’t you leave the seafood behind at the hut and brought it back with you instead?

YB: I wanted to, but I remembered that you have a tendency to murder people. I don’t you to be caught by the police, so I’m letting you off.

KS: Yes, yes thank you so much.

MD: Ya, KS ah! Do you have anything that needs repairing? I will help you repair anything you need! (takes out his hammer and glances at YB)

YB: Then please fix that door. Whenever I’m bathing, someone always barges in. I don’t know what her intention is.

Grandma: Oh dear! I didn’t do that on purpose! It was a mistake.  And my eyes are not well so I couldn’t see clearly. I really didn’t see anything.

KS laughs and YB is embarrassed.

MD: Anyway, KS, didn’t you say that when you grow this tall you will marry me? Now it’s finally time.

KS: When did I say that before? (glances at YB and hits MD)

MD: Are you going back on your word? Grandma, haven’t you heard her say this before? She is always saying she wants to marry me.

Grandma: I didn’t hear it. KS is my precious girl, I want her to stay with me for my whole life.

MD: Seriously! Well, tonight, I’m coming to get KS. Grandma, I’m really coming tonight to get KS, so don’t lock the door.

Grandma: Goodness, when did you get so glib?

YB: “Get” KS? Such old-fashioned thoughts.

YB goes to fly his drone in the open, looking relaxed and happy.

Back in Seoul, CEO and DC inspect YB’s car, trying to find out what happened that day when DC caught someone rifling through YB’s car. CEO realises that the camera memory card is missing, and NJ arrives to return it. CEO thought they could figure out YB’s whereabouts on the Awards Night from the memory card, but all they saw (and heard) was a couple making out in the car. It was NJ and his co-star.

NJ wonders why the intruder took the cake from the car, when it has already turned sour. CEO wonders why YB bought the cake, and NJ asks if it could be for a woman. CEO thinks that they can find out where YB went that night by tracing the cake. The three of them go and search for a cake shop receipt in the trash.

Meanwhile, KS is laying some cucumber slices on MD’s face. She nags at MD to remember to wear a cap on the ship and not let his skin become as rough as a turtle’s shell. MD says that it’s nothing as skin is not important to a sea captain. KS retorts that it’s important because the sun is too strong. She then tells him to open his eyes since she is not placing any cucumber slices there. So MD opens his eyes, and sees KS’s pretty face looming over his. He seems mesmerised by her, then looks away quickly and close his eyes. KS forces his eyes open, and MD explains that something must have gotten into his eyes, and closes them again.

After a while, MD sits up and eats the cucumber slices from his face. KS scolds that they are dirty and hits him, asking him why he ate them. MD replies that they taste salty, like preserved cucumbers. Grandma comes out of the kitchen and asks KS to look for YB, worried that he has been gone for so long. KS starts to get up, and MD asks why she is going to look for him; he’s not a little kid. KS says that they are worried that YB may faint again. MD tells KS to stay while be goes to look for YB as it is faster on his motorbike. KS says how Mr Top Star likes to show off, but he’s actually just a little kid. MD sets off.

6 hours ago, gladys57 said:

@akieraso you're a fan of 1% of Anything too?

Yup, I am and I was with you guys in both the shipping thread and drama thread. It was 1% that put somin in my radar and made me her fan. The drama is into its third week without any major hiccups and it seems like the drama got a lot of visibility too with Korean public. If they can keep up this momentum till the end, this could prove to be a career break for all the leads. Somin's career slump seems to be over with her joining Running Man and I hope only happy days await her.

You should see her in running man. Even though an actress, somin is not afraid to ruin her image and is a game for everything. Usually, actresses maintain a cool and charming image when they make variety appearances but some of her performances can give even the best of comedians a run for the money. Dealing with all the internet hate richard simmons while working hard and being positive, she is my girl crush now. 

(I am sorry if this is too much of fangirling but since she is the lead here, this much is not offensive. right? :ph34r:)

Part 2 of 3. Just a little bit more to go.

MD arrives on this motorbike where YB is flying his drone.

MD: Here you are, Mr Top Star.

YB: What is it?

MD: Everyone is worried that you might faint somewhere. Anyway when are you going back to Seoul?

YB: My schedule is a secret from everyone except my agency. You have lived outside the island before, so you must know a top star like me.

MD: Sea captains only get acquainted with the sea. We don’t care much about what happens on land. Well it’s fated that we met. You are the Top Star of the Land, and I’m the Top Star of the Sea. We are both Top Stars. Let’s shake hands.

YB: I’m sorry, I don’t shake hands with just anyone.

MD: I’m not just anyone. I am the famous, good-looking, youngest sea captain who fought off pirates. It’s an honour to know me.

YB: I can’t be sure if you catch pirates or anchovies.

MD: How can you not believe me? Why not I just show you? That year when I faced 17 pirates by myself, this is how I hit them. (strikes a fist at YB, which is quickly blocked)

MD: Hey, this guy! (and strikes again. MD keeps hitting at YB, but YB keeps blocking him off with one hand, the other hand stuck casually in his pocket.)

YB: What are you doing?

MD: Are you scared? Don’t be. Everyone is worried about, so quickly go back on my motorbike.

YB: How can I trust that dirty-looking motorbike?

MD: I didn’t ask you to believe. Well, if you want to admire the scenery here, walking is the best. See you later then! (puts on helmet) Later! (rides off)

YB: what is up with this guy?

At KS’s minimart, MD’s dad is asking her to check on some goods. He then hands KS a bag, and asks her to open it. She pulls out a pretty dress and looks happy, asking why Ahjussi treats her so well. Last time he even bought her a pair of shoes. MD’s Dad says that he didn’t buy it; it was a free gift. KS holds the dress against herself and exclaims how pretty it is. MD’s Dad tells KS to let him know if she needs anything else; who knows what free gift he will get next time. KS thanks him, and MD’s dad says that her dad was his best friend, so he is like an almost dad to her. He then excuses himself to prepare for MD’s welcome back party, and as he leaves, he pauses at the door to watch KS for a while, with I would call a look of happiness mixed with wistfulness or guilt on his face. (I really don’t know how to decipher that expression)

As YB walks back to the house, he complains about MD. He stops, wondering how MD got back to the island when CEO told him that the boat captain is away abroad on a vacation. He then recalls seeing the boat captain who had ferried him to the island and stalks off to find MD.

At MD’s house, the welcome party is going strong. MD is regaling the islands with his story of fighting off the pirates, with a little bit of exaggeration about the details. YB arrives, and DC’s Dad pulls him to join the party, with some reluctance on YB’s part. MD stops his story before the climax, leading to an almost riot. MD’s Dad calms the crowd by asking MD to sing a song while dinner is being prepared. YB is annoyed that they asked MD to sing, wondering if they are at a fan meeting. MD puts on a silver jacket and starts singing the song “The Girl with Short Hair”. Everyone stands up to dance, and DC’s Dad pulls YB up to dance as well. Everyone is enjoying themselves except YB, and suddenly MD pulls KS up to the “stage” to dance with him, earning an exclamation from DC’s dad, saying how good they look together. YB turns around to look at them, and when MD kneels down in front of KS and kisses her hand, YB looks like he could kill someone. He gets pushed out of the way by DC’s dad and turns his back on the stage, frustrated. Suddenly he spots someone standing in the alleyway leading to the house, and the shadow on the wall is of someone with long hair wearing a bandanna. Before YB can do anything, the person runs off.

CEO has found the cake shop where YB bought the cake, after having searched for the receipt in the trash. The sales lady holds her nose while looking at the receipt, confirming YB’s presence on the night of the Awards Show. CEO asks if she is sure it is YB, and she says, yes, but why is it important? Someone else had just stopped by to ask her the same question. CEO is shocked, and the man (intruder) suddenly appears in the cake shop, asking for a pen. He bolts after the sales lady points him out, and CEO, NJ and DC give chase but to no avail, since he escapes in the black van again. DC wonders if the intruder is a stalker, and CEO says he looks familiar, like a reporter he knows from a newspaper. NJ claims that he has found some evidence of whom YB may have bought the cake for – someone YB has worked with on a drama, and that person celebrated her birthday on the day of the Awards Show. He tells CEO not to be shocked as he shows CEO the photo on the phone. Both CEO and DC are shocked.

Back at MD’s house, one of the Grandmas is singing to a rapt audience, while YB sits alone at another table. He crooks his finger at MD to come and talk to him and MD downs his soju before walking over.

MD: Why are you looking for me?

YB: I heard that the boat only comes here once a fortnight, so how did you get that boat to ferry you back here?

MD: As long as I set my mind to it, I can achieve anything. I even fought off the pirates captain.

YB: Then get me that boat, now. I will compensate you handsomely.

MD: How would you do that?

YB: Up to you. Honestly, I can fulfil any of your requests.

MD: If you are talking about money, I have plenty of that.

YB: Don’t you want me to leave the island?

MD: We are not friends, why should I help you?

YB: Ok, then tell me what you want?

MD: This party is getting a bit boring. Why not both us men, do “that thing”?

YB: “That thing”?

And so they get ready to arm wrestle. MD’s Dad introduce them as the Top Star of the Land and the Top Star of the Sea, and there is this funny sequence of YB as his ninja character in his movie, while MD is presented as Jack Sparrow. They start to arm wrestle and trash talk, and both are equally strong (or equally weak? Haha) and they get stuck for some time with no clear winner. Just as it looks like MD is about to win, YB leans over and says to MD: I slept… with OKS. Of course MD is shocked and YB wins the contest. Everyone cheers, KS is surprised, and DM is impressed. As YB steps off the stage, he leans in to MD and tells him: We just slept in the same room, but nothing else happened. He tells MD that he will go back and wait for news about the boat, then leaves.

Back at KS’s house, YB has finished washing up, and thought of MD’s words in the day, about how he will come at night to get KS. He goes to latch the front gate, saying how they should lock the gate with him, Top Star, staying over. MD comes visiting with a bag, and bumps into the gate. He wonders who locked it, and just pushes it open with a loud noise. YB hears him, and wonders how MD could have just opened it.

KS: MD Oppa? What are you doing here late at night?

MD: Why was the gate locked?

KS: What? Is it locked? Who locked it?

MD: Is Grandma asleep? Come and sit down here. I came to give you this.

KS: What is this?

MD: I bought these cosmetics in France. Use them. You are after all a young lady now.

KS; My goodness! I go fishing and work in the field. Why would I need these?

MD: Of course you do! Our ugly girl will become pretty after using these, then she can marry me. Isn’t it?

KS: There you go joking again! (hits MD, and her arm gets caught by him)

MD: What if I’m not joking?

KS: What?

MD reaches out to touch KS’s hair, then pulls her left ear really hard and says that he’s joking, causing her to cry out in pain. She retaliates by pulling his ear back, and he pulls her ear again, calling her rude and crazy for calling him crazy. In his room, YB scoffs at their exchange and goes to sleep.

The next morning, KS sits outside her secret hideout, looking at the cosmetics. YB walks by and sees her.

YB: What are you doing? Will a Frozen Pollack turn into a Ribbonfish by putting on makeup?

KS: Seriously! Although I don’t use makeup, but nobody has ever said I’m ugly.

YB: You’re right. It’s not an ugly face.

KS: What? What did you say?

YB: Out of 100 people, probably only one person with special preferences for a face like yours will confess to you.

KS: Then how about you, with your face? Out of a hundred people? 100%?

YB: Nope, not one of a hundred. None of them will dare to. They can only look at me, because I’m impossible to reach, impossible to surpass. I’m the Top Star among all Top Stars, the brightest star among all. I’m a STAR.

KS: Seriously.

YB: Don’t you like to fantasise? Just being in the same place with me is like achieving the impossible dream of meeting a unicorn.

KS: Unicorn? Seriously. I would like to break open your skull and see how your brain is wired. You only know how to praise yourself.

YB: Self-praise? Then do you want to confirm for yourself?

YB leaps up to where KS is, places his hand against the wall and leans in really close to her.

KS: What.. what are you doing?

YB: Come, tell me honestly.

KS: Tell you what?

YB: Don’t you think I’m good looking?

KS starts to deny it and looks back at YB, but she is mesmerised by how he is looking at her. She can’t even speak and can only open and close her mouth. YB looks amused.

YB: I got it. Your expression has told me everything. (struts away)

KS: Argh! I should have said he is ugly! Why didn’t I say that? (YB looks back at her in amusement)

KS (yelling after YB): YOU ARE UGLY! I should have said that! I’m such an idiot!

CEO and NJ meet with ISH in the café.

CEO: Your birthday was on the same day as the Awards Show. Did you meet YB that day? Are you a couple? You have to tell me honestly, so that I can map out my strategy as CEO.

ISH: What? I’m the Top Star among all Top Stars, the Ace Actress among all Ace Actresses, Im Soo Hyang. Do you think just anyone can be my boyfriend?

CEO: What?

ISH: Tell me the truth. Am I pretty? Ok, silence means consent. I can totally understand your feelings now. I’m just like the Roman Goddess Aphrodite, or Tinkerbell in the fairytale. So, how dare you mention You-Back in front of me, that crazy, badly brought-up man? Because of that crazy, badly brought-up man, I was so miserable during filming. These wrinkles..! (tries to steady breathing) Did I just furrow my brows again? No, don’t frown, Soo Hyang, you must smile! Smile.. Oh, so pretty! (turns to CEO) Go tell You-Back, he will never have a chance to work with a beautiful, talented actress like me in the future! Let him go watch the drama he was in with me, and immerse in his own memories. I have to go for filming. (leaves)

NJ: Does YB have a birth secret? Is ISH his long-lost twin?

CEO: How is that possible? Hey, you said you are very sure it’s ISH! What is this?

NJ: Why are you shouting?

KS is getting her makeup done by Doctor. OMG that purple eyeshadow!

Doc: Wow! So pretty! Like you are in an advertisement!

KS: Oh my oh my! So pretty! Now I understand why people want to put on makeup. Thank you very much!

Doc: You’re welcome. Anyway, why do you suddenly want to put on make up? Who is it for?

KS: What? It’s not that? Someone gave me cosmetics as a gift, and I don’t know how to use them. I’ll go off first!

Doc: OK!

Doc sees Teacher cleaning the windows and mirrors his actions on the other side, all the while staring at him lovingly. Twenty years ago, they were in the city together and had to break up for an unknown reason. Teacher apologises to Doc, but Doc says that it’s her fault. Teacher says that they can’t meet again, no matter whose fault it is. He tells her that if they were to meet again after a long time, to pretend not to know each other. He then leaves, and Doc cries out loudly.

Back at the clinic, DM watches Doc and Teacher, and comments that love is like a sneeze; it cannot be hidden even if someone wants to hide it.

KS returns back to her house. She stands in the yard, craning her head and looking around for someone. (I believe she is looking for YB, but we can agree to disagree. Heh!) YB walks in behind her.

YB: Who are you looking for?

KS: What?

YB: You. (starts laughing really loudly) What is that on your face? It’s so old-fashioned! You look like you belong on the theatre poster from the 70s!

KS: Seriously. Stop laughing!

YB: This is the first time in my life that someone has made me laugh so loudly. You should feel honoured.

KS: What? Forget it! Argh! Why is this person like that?

YB: Hey, come back here! Is that eyeshadow?

KS: Let go of me! I don’t know!

YB: what is this?

YB: Seriously. What a totally unique child! (goes into his room)

KS (steps out of kitchen and shakes a finger at YB) You.. crazy.. Well, I thought it was quite pretty.

KS makes delicious looking kimbap with abalone and invites YB for lunch. YB sees that she removed her makeup.

YB: oh you removed your makeup? I wanted to laugh some more.

KS: Stop it already! Come and have lunch!

YB sees the kimbap and his face turns dark.

KS: See? Special kimbap with abalone and kimchi.

YB: Forget it.

KS: What’s with you? Look at this. It looks delicious! Come.. ah.. (tries to feed YB)

YB (pushes KS’s hand away): Get it away from me!

KS: Seriously. Why can’t you just eat one, seeing how I made it with sincerity?

YB walks away.

KS: Talk to me!

YB: Let go!

KS: Really, what is the matter? You were laughing so happily just now, and now you lose your temper. Do think I’m easy to bully?

YB: I asked you to let go of me.

KS: Tell me! Why did you lose your temper? What did I do wrong? I see that you don’t have much of an appetite, and I’m worried you will faint of hunger again, so I made that kimbap specially.

YB: Why? What has me fainting got to do with you? What is your motive? What do you want from me? (walks off)

KS: What do you mean? What could I want from you? Why is he like that? I really don’t understand.

Be back later!

Archived