[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

@triplem thank you for the bts videos.. I think there are going to be a lot of pple with SLS but my heart is always with KJS oppa.. :wub:

anyway I was wondering.. if KS really chose to be with YB, it would mean that either she goes to live in Seoul, or YB will stay in the island? Although I don’t really see YB staying on the island. He has a career after all. But I also don’t want KS to leave the island coz that’s where she belongs, and her Grandmother is there too. I’m so torn! I don’t want them to fall in love and then to experience angst. I’ve had enough angst from dramas these few months.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, joonminfan said:

@triplem thank you for the bts videos.. I think there are going to be a lot of pple with SLS but my heart is always with KJS oppa.. :wub:

anyway I was wondering.. if KS really chose to be with YB, it would mean that either she goes to live in Seoul, or YB will stay in the island? Although I don’t really see YB staying on the island. He has a career after all. But I also don’t want KS to leave the island coz that’s where she belongs, and her Grandmother is there too. I’m so torn! I don’t want them to fall in love and then to experience angst. I’ve had enough angst from dramas these few months.

I have thought about that as well. I am most definitely on team topstarshi :D

But it’s going to be hard for either one to leave . A compromise of sorts will be needed , so that’s why I’m mentally preparing myself for them not to be the end game . So I think the main goal of the drama is about Yoo Baek rediscovering life’s purpose. It’s about his healing .so that’s why there’s quite alot of emotional scenes of KJS because he holds the titular role .

15 minutes ago, triplem said:

But it’s going to be hard for either one to leave . A compromise of sorts will be needed , so that’s why I’m mentally preparing myself for them not to be the end game . So I think the main goal of the drama is about Yoo Baek rediscovering life’s purpose. It’s about his healing .so that’s why there’s quite alot of emotional scenes of KJS because he holds the titular role .

But I want them to end up together. Although I can see that it will be difficult. :bawling:

1 hour ago, triplem said:

But YB is not happy as an actor. He was quite angry, when he received the award because he was supposed to be happy, when he is not happy at all with his life. To me, he hasn't really discovered what can make him happy. His fame as actor changed him into an arrogant man but this doesn't help him to feel better. In the first episode, we are shown two major scenes:

- the painting in his room which resembles to the countryside of the island

- when he saw the cliff and was reminded of the painting

In both scenes, he enjoyed the beauty of the scenery... he even calmed down. He could relax, something he is not able to do otherwise thus this is definitely possible that he is sensible to beautiful sceneries and can fall in love with the island due to the beautiful landscapes.

Yippee @bebebisous33 you are watching this too. Awesome  . What you said gives me some hope then . He’s indeed unhappy . The hour glass in his bathroom is an indication of how his life was already at stake. But bit by bit it seems he’s being restored . Like @joonminfan I do hope that he & Kang soon will fall in love. It’d be interesting to see if he can give up his obsession with fame etc for her .

8 minutes ago, triplem said:

Yippee @bebebisous33 you are watching this too. Awesome  . What you said gives me some hope then . He’s indeed unhappy . The hour glass in his bathroom is an indication of how his life was already at stake. But bit by bit it seems he’s being restored . Like @joonminfan I do hope that he & Kang soon will fall in love. It’d be interesting to see if he can give up his obsession with fame etc for her .

Hmm if does choose to give up his career and stay on the island with KS, I wonder what kind of job he will do? Fish on a boat?

6 minutes ago, triplem said:

Based on the flashbacks, we can see that as an idol he got hurt. I have the impression that he got poisoned (the drink that fell, then he fainted and was moved to the hospital). We shouldn't forget that he never drinks anything that has not been sealed. From my point of view, he was betrayed by a member of the boy band. We heard that he sings, then in the flashback we hear fans screaming "Oppa". So he started his career as a singer in a boy band and got betrayed out of jealousy.

This would explain why he doesn't care for his colleagues (other actors and actresses), only watch his movies... the betrayal scarred him a lot. I also sense that he has no family (which would also give an explanation why he chose to become famous). The need to feel loved and recognized, yet the betrayal happened which made him think that he can never have any friend and love.

As for the cake, it is related to his anger and pain in the episode 1. He wanted to meet someone (that person didn't seem to be rich, based on the neighbourhood YB was walking) but he was rejected with his cake. He got upset and frustrated... caused the incident with the police, as he didn't want them to see him crying and upset. It was supposed to be a happy day for him... 

8 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

As for the cake, it is related to his anger and pain in the episode 1. He wanted to meet someone (that person didn't seem to be rich, based on the neighbourhood YB was walking) but he was rejected with his cake. He got upset and frustrated... caused the incident with the police, as he didn't want them to see him crying and upset. It was supposed to be a happy day for him... 

Good catch on the cake . Did not strike me that he was bringing it to go celebrate it with someone . Who could it be ? Family member? Someone he liked ? Makes sense now why he was so upset & sarcastic in his acceptance speech.

@joonminfan Lol! Dive for abalones ! 

Wow @bebebisous33 I’m impressed by your eye for details and great analysis. I have got to be more observant from now on! I agree with you that YB seems to have a lot of built up hurt and anger in him, that’s what caused him to be so self-centred and suspicious. I hope that KS can help to heal his heart and please, as little angst as possible.

re the cake: maybe he is estranged from his family? The cake is for them, and he got pushed away.

and at the hospital he also pushed away what looks like home made kimbap. So yeah, he might have gotten poisoned before and this is what made him so suspicious, and also his extreme reaction when he saw KS’s Grandmother trying to add the ramyeon flavouring to the food.

Grain of salt but Someone here said they saw BTS Shots of her in what looks like a city so given the necessity  fast moving plot I bet they do realize their feelings next episode or two , we get some cute fluffy stuff and he convinces her/she asks to go back with him and invariably angst ensues because Seoul is a just too huge, cold, confusing, lonely ETC for her too live permanently and she wants too go home.   I bet in the end they compromise by her staying on the island mostly but getting a phone and computer so they are in constant contact and he comes to see her regularly anyway with her making the trip too him sometimes as well. 

This is figuring without the maybe fantasy element that maybe happening, and MD who surely Won’t give up so easy :)

Or he stays and becomes a celebrity goat whisperer and they raise 10 insanely beautiful  and cheerful  satoori  speaking Octupus hunting children ;) 

5 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Grain of salt but Someone here said they saw BTS Shots of her in what looks like a city so given the necessity  fast moving plot I bet they do realize their feelings next episode or two , we get some cute fluffy stuff and he convinces her/she asks to go back with him and invariably angst ensues because Seoul is a just too huge, cold, confusing, lonely ETC for her too live permanently and she wants too go home.   I bet in the end they compromise by her staying on the island mostly but getting a phone and computer so they are in constant contact and he comes to see her regularly anyway with her making the trip too him sometimes as well. 

This is figuring without the maybe fantasy element that maybe happening, and MD who surely Won’t give up so easy :)

Or he stays and becomes a celebrity goat whisperer and they raise 10 insanely beautiful  and cheerful  satoori  speaking Octupus hunting children ;) 

I prefer the second scenario! :relieved:

Reading the comments here.  You people are great, giving lots of food for thought!

So true, how are our OTP going to coexist once YB goes back to his world?  I think YB is attracted to KS because of her simplicity and purity.....her world represents everything he needs in his life.  The peacefulness, fresh air, sincere people on the island, is really a healing source for him.  In his world, everyone and everything around him is toxic, that’s why he has been having a difficult time and became such a jerk.  I think all celebrities Live like that, their lives become a fishbowl. I like my privacy, so I can understand how offensive that can be....but they are celebrities, that’s the price of fame!

I live on a small island, where many celebrities come and buy property so that they can have some privacy and be incognito a bit.  You know they are around, but you don’t hear of anyone stalking them.  I once stood in line at the local drugstore behind Richard Chamberlain, and just smiled at him as he put the divider on the counter for me to unload my stuff.  I knew who he was but didn’t say anything.....the woman in front of him was fawning over him, I had to chuckle.  

I’m interested to see how the writer will get the OTP together and how they will end up.  I love the beauty of that island, but not sure I could live there.  Hahahahahhahaha 

8 minutes ago, auntyem said:

Reading the comments here.  You people are great, giving lots of food for thought!

So true, how are our OTP going to coexist once YB goes back to his world?  I think YB is attracted to KS because of her simplicity and purity.....her world represents everything he needs in his life.  The peacefulness, fresh air, sincere people on the island, is really a healing source for him.  In his world, everyone and everything around him is toxic, that’s why he has been having a difficult time and became such a jerk.  I think all celebrities Live like that, their lives become a fishbowl. I like my privacy, so I can understand how offensive that can be....but they are celebrities, that’s the price of fame!

I live on a small island, where many celebrities come and buy property so that they can have some privacy and be incognito a bit.  You know they are around, but you don’t hear of anyone stalking them.  I once stood in line at the local drugstore behind Richard Chamberlain, and just smiled at him as he put the divider on the counter for me to unload my stuff.  I knew who he was but didn’t say anything.....the woman in front of him was fawning over him, I had to chuckle.  

I’m interested to see how the writer will get the OTP together and how they will end up.  I love the beauty of that island, but not sure I could live there.  Hahahahahhahaha 

Will YB give up his current life to be with KS? I think he will be rather torn. He has never known any other life except this one, as a much-loved and popular top star before his scandal. And once you have reached the peak, some people may find it difficult or embarrassing to come down from that pedestal. On the other hand, living his life this way has caused him extreme stress - he can't sleep and has to keep popping sleeping pills. He is also suspicious of everyone, doesn't seem to have close friends or family to confide in, and this can't be good for him psychologically. To me, his acceptance speech at the Awards Show and his comments to the reporters when they interupted his drama filming was career suicide. He's mocking the very people (TV stations and fans) who have ensured his popularity and livelihood. What has happened to make him behave this way? I believe that he, being a veteran in this industry, would know what and what not to say. So what triggered him to want to throw his hard earned career away? Is he ready to give it all up though? Taking a two week vacation is very different from totally stepping away from the one constant in your life.

Which way would YB go?

Right? I do believe the island will get some modern conveniences if nothing else.Speaking if celebrities, maybe the last scene will be of a dejected Ma Dol welcoming and snarking with an exiled brat diva actress or spoiled chaebol heiress in need of a place to stay and healing  ;)  

2 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Right? I do believe the island will get some modern conveniences if nothing else.Speaking if celebrities, maybe the last scene will be of a dejected Ma Dol welcoming and snarking with an exiled brat diva actress or spoiled chaebol heiress in need of a place to stay and healing  ;)  

And history repeats itself :P

@joonminfan Thanks for the compliment! crazy monkey

I also think that the plot is moving fast because in just one episode, YB started perceiving OKS differently. I do think that OKS played a huge part in it... she got much friendlier, once she realized that he was suffering in silence. She got aware that his rude behaviour was just a mask. She started treating him differently. The smile she gave him while waving could stop his tears and pain... from that moment, he saw her with new eyes. 

I am looking forward to seeing him competing with CMD. YB has been used to be admired by his fans, yet he sees that another man is interested in OKS and she is much closer to CMD than to him. On the other hand, I doubt that she sees CMD as man (based on the preview). 

@triplem 

In my opinion, the cake was for a family member and not a "girlfriend" as he doesn't seem to be the type who falls in love so easily and often. The way I see it, YB might have chosen such a career for different reasons: being loved and a good income. He is earning a lot of money but even with his money and career, he is not able to get close to the person he wanted to see and meet. That's why he didn't really enjoy receiving the award. Therefore I sense that YB might decide to change his career... which could have an impact on the person he wanted to see and meet. I am still convinced that it is related to his family. A theory: Maybe he was raised by a single mother... and the more famous he became, the more she kept pushing him away as she felt, she could ruin his reputation and this brought them more and more apart. To me, it looks like YB will end up living on that island. Remember that the inhabitants are thinking about building a resort on that island. 

11 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@joonminfan Thanks for the compliment! crazy monkey

I also think that the plot is moving fast because in just one episode, YB started perceiving OKS differently. I do think that OKS played a huge part in it... she got much friendlier, once she realized that he was suffering in silence. She got aware that his rude behaviour was just a mask. She started treating him differently. The smile she gave him while waving could stop his tears and pain... from that moment, he saw her with new eyes. 

I am looking forward to seeing him competing with CMD. YB has been used to be admired by his fans, yet he sees that another man is interested in OKS and she is much closer to CMD than to him. On the other hand, I doubt that she sees CMD as man (based on the preview). 

@triplem 

In my opinion, the cake was for a family member and not a "girlfriend" as he doesn't seem to be the type who falls in love so easily and often. The way I see it, YB might have chosen such a career for different reasons: being loved and a good income. He is earning a lot of money but even with his money and career, he is not able to get close to the person he wanted to see and meet. That's why he didn't really enjoy receiving the award. Therefore I sense that YB might decide to change his career... which could have an impact on the person he wanted to see and meet. I am still convinced that it is related to his family. A theory: Maybe he was raised by a single mother... and the more famous he became, the more she kept pushing him away as she felt, she could ruin his reputation and this brought them more and more apart. To me, it looks like YB will end up living on that island. Remember that the inhabitants are thinking about building a resort on that island. 

I loved that scene of her smiling so genuinely and happily at YB, and his tears just stopped. But my favourite was of him watching her sleep when they were in her secret hideout. There's something so sweet in his gaze, and I know this is a repeated trope, but so far, I have loved all the ones I have seen! :wub:

I wonder from watching the preview, whom KS dolled up for. I suspect it could be YB, as she was standing in the yard of her own house, looking towards the rooms. I need to rewatch that part to be sure though. And it seems like MD took the words of a little girl very seriously. We know for sure that he is in love with her, as he keeps looking at her photo and talking to it on his ship. But does she love him as an oppa:P or an OPPA:wub:

I was watching videos on IG and came across one (can't find it now) that showed MD as the person who gave the toy robot to KS. She calls the toy her guardian angel. So MD is her guardian angel, who has been caring for her ever since she lost her parents at 2. 

Archived