[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

4 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

CSH believes that both were trapped in a lifeless marriage but she was still loyal to it.. She didn't break the marriage.. It was her husband who did it by telling that he had another woman n he wants to marry her.. Being trapped in a lifeless marriage, she might have thought at least one has found love n wants to be free.. So she readily rescued herself n her husband.. But we still don't know what happened inside their marriage.. Hope we get some glimpses of it.. But ppl r bitter coz he said he had a relationship outsidewhereas it's clear that he still loves her.. It's just immature of him.. I still pity him n CSH.. I consider them to be trapped!! Plus as u can see CSH has never had a day on her life, Now she has learnt that her life is precious n she vows that she won't be sold by her mom once again.. I hope we get more insight on their life!! 

but what loyalty if you make your husband feel as if he is not needed or don't show any feeling towards it. It wasn't a loveless marriage, it was a loveless marriage for her, but she chose it knowing very well. Plus its a marriage, not roommates. Can you imagine a married life, where you come back home and find your wife/hubby staring blankly into your face? Given what we have been shown, it seems husband still tried, she not so much.

Just as everyone claims that hubby should have been attentive to know what CSH wants, clearly she wasn't attentive to know and observe what hubby wanted and why he did what he did. 

I see more as a desperate act to rile her up, to get some hope that she cares. I can sense his suffocation with complete rejection from CSH from the beginning. CSH's is a weak character, tht's fine everyone has her/his own journey. But her weakness has hampered someone else's world leaving her with no responsibility.. which is unfair. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

but what loyalty if you make your husband feel as if he is not needed or don't show any feeling towards it. It wasn't a loveless marriage, it was a loveless marriage for her, but she chose it knowing very well. Plus its a marriage, not roommates. Can you imagine a married life, where you come back home and find your wife/hubby staring blankly into your face? Given what we have been shown, it seems husband still tried, she not so much.

Just as everyone claims that hubby should have been attentive to know what CSH wants, clearly she wasn't attentive to know and observe what hubby wanted and why he did what he did. 

I see more as a desperate act to rile her up, to get some hope that she cares. I can sense his suffocation with complete rejection from CSH from the beginning. CSH's is a weak character, tht's fine everyone has her/his own journey. But her weakness has hampered someone else's world leaving her with no responsibility.. which is unfair. 

Yes I do feel that there was utterly a failure of the relationship from both sides.. I do feel that they weren't suited for each other!! I know she married him for her father, n etc.. Their relationship lacked understanding n warmth!! I think both were in their own world, refusing to come out!! But as we say a woman in most cases doesn't want to express her wishes, she wishes her man to understand her.. Like CSH said that he never understood her but she also forgot that she too never understood him.. Love is done by expressing.. If her hubby was little more expressive, she might have opened up as she is doing with KJH.. U can see she still has some reservations towards KJH too.. A failed marriage doesn't lie on one party but in both.. I just hope both find their true happiness in their own way soon!! 

P. S. I really want to see a show based on this concept? Rich boy n girl trapped in marriage n finding their love.. Is there any show like that? 

• Like 10

I know some might blame CSH for her failed marriage (KJH's mother for example). To me, CSH isn't a character without flaws. She grew up being told what to do, had to fake her happiness for the sake of her ambitious parents, forced to be in a loveless marriage and treated like an object by her MIL...while I do feel sorry for her ex-husband, maybe he just wasn't the right person to crack the wall she built for years. 

• Like 12

Wow! E4 ending is a cliffhanger. I don't know if this is allowed here but only half of my butt was sitting in anticipation of her response. By the look of her smile, an affirmative response from her will serve as a revelation that will shook the lights out of all those present in the lobby. This drama is looking good as it progresses.  

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

First time posting in this thread, hello everyone :)

Regarding  CSH's ex, I do feel sympathy towards him.

Yes, his marriage with CSH didn't work but I don't see it as entirely his fault. 

He loves her but he cannot make her love him, given the strained living conditions of their life. Before JH's arrival in SH's life, SH and WS pretty much suffered the same way in their life: two ambitious families (mostly the mothers) that sacrifice their children's happiness for their power.  They weren't allowed to live their lives the way they wanted.  Didn't his mom said SH was sulking all the time she was his wife?  How do we know if SH tried to love him for not? Both accepted to get married but It is hard for love to blossom in the suffocating environment they live and the scrutiny of media. None of them had enough determination to break free  and stand up for themselves or they have to turn their back on their families.  Without enough flashbacks about their marriage, I think it is too early to say WS doesn't understand SH or is also a source of misery for her. 

At least, for me, WS did something good for SH: he intentionally hurt her so that she could be free from his family. Bet he didn't know his wicked mom could still do whatever she could to tie SH to his family like this. At least, his move allowed SH to breath a little bit easier. That tainted his image in SH's eyes and also the public as a cheater - it's an act of letting go.  He couldn't stand up for SH during 2 years but he did what he thought would be the best for her. 

I am not sure why people think he waits for SH to fall in love with him after that move. He does not show any act of pursuing her nor explain his reason for fear that his mother will make it worse. He does not even use kind words when meeting her. For years, he puts up a show with his fake mistress for SH. Only when the so-called scandal breaks out and he knows that his mom is actively trying to get them back together that he shows his true concerns and tries to protect her from behind the scene. Note that he doesn't even try to let SH know he helps her.

There are many different ways to display love. For me, WS really loves SH. He is just not the right man for her. He can't stand up for her the way JH does or make her happy because his life is also miserable in its own way.  I hope he will find his comfort afterwards.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 7:35 AM, gumtaek said:
Spoiler

Dtzql5yV4AEgnLv.jpg

Interesting that while the writer of the article did an insightful piece about the language used in the drama the thing that stood out most to me is the sense that the writer of the drama is subtly preparing the audience for an ending where the couple does not end up together. "I believe it is meaningful when a person lets someone else in his/her heart, even if it's only for a brief moment."

I may well be wrong, since I do not speak Korean, but that's where the translation guided my thinking.

The article made me think about a nice bit of analysis that was posted after the first week the drama aired comparing it to Roman Holiday. That's a rom-com where the encounter had to be enough because the couple could not end together. 

I'm hoping that I will be able to enjoy the drama as it unfolds and avoid predictive analysis.

This week's episodes have been making me do something I haven't done in quite a while.

When I had the time and focus to read novels I'd sometimes come across one where my affection for characters would have me cringe every time they seem to be putting themselves in a situation that would lead a hurt or humiliation.  Just before that would happen I'd have to close the book and walk away because I wouldn't bear to be in the presence of their pain.

This week I had to take a break from the last 10 minutes of both episodes. Once Jin Hyuk borrowed his hyung's truck and headed out I had to leave the story until the next day when episode 4 was available. On Thursday I had to take an hour break from the story as the Jin Hyuk watch the vultures descend as Soon Hyun was leaving workand I could sense the tension in him as he debated with himself if he should take action.

In both instances the outcome was way better than I'd feared, but I suspect I might continue to abandon the last ten minutes of the show until my heart settles down and is prepared to deal with whatever comes.

At Staff: I tried to remove the pictures, except for the one with the text I was referring to, but the system wouldn't allow me to.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 7

Like others, I think it's still way too early for me to form a positive or negative opinion about the ex-husband. I'll wait for the drama to flesh out his motivations or give more background info, I guess. Personally, I'm not really that charmed by the hidden-love trope anymore after years of watching kdramas. Doing good deeds behind someone's back does not really make you more deserving of a person's love because love is a mutual thing and it must be expressed. It's like the Dukseon/Taek/Junghwan issue in Reply 1988, although this isn't really the place to discuss that. I do feel some sympathy for him though if the fan-speculations are correct about the nature of his relationship with CSH, but it's not much yet to make me develop a second lead syndrome. 

Anyway, it's only been 4 episodes and the drama already laid out conflicts I expected to happen much later, so I'm really wondering how the rest of the drama will turn out. I hope this won't mean that those conflicts will be dragged out though, but that the scriptwriter has something more in store for us in the coming episodes. The most refreshing thing about this drama so far is that it gives us the traditional tropes but they are executed in new ways. Some people are saying it's predictable or boring but people didn't really expect what happened at the end of episode 4 -- it surprised us all. Most importantly, it gave a new depth to Jinhyuk's character. I've been seeing comments saying he's a flat bubbly character but I don't think those are fair at all because we've yet to see how he seriously responds to conflicts. His decision at the end of the 4th episode showed that there's more to him than we may see. Interfering with the bullying that happened at the end of the 4th episode seems stupid, theoretically. But his decision to protect CSH seemed like a calculated move and not just something he did without thinking at the heat of the moment, so I'm curious how he'll manage challenging authority when he's in a position of subordination? I wonder if he has a trick up his sleeve. I want to get to know Jinhyuk better. 

I sincerely hope this drama continues to surprise us. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jl08 said:

The part that took my breath away was a distraught KJH knocking frantically at Dae Chan's door in the wee hours of the morning. HIs worried expression showed how much he cared for CSH. His cute attempt in trying to mask his true purpose (to keep her company) by suggesting that there was a good restaurant nearby....that's our pure KJH!

I was further touched by the authoritative manner in which KJH handled the car accident. All of a sudden, he seemed so mature and confident to me. It seemed rather like he was the oppa to CSH! He may be young but he knew how to manage the situation while taking good care of a shakened CSH. KJH's insistence to drive her home while asking her to get some rest is so sweet....I love his tie zipper sound! lol...I bet the sale of these zipper ties has shot up like a rocket! haha...

The most meaningful moment for me in ep 4 was KJH stepping forward to protect CSH. Someone here shared that there were mixed reviews on this take. He should not do it? CSH didn't like to be embarrassed? I've to say that KJH's decision was the best ever so far! It's the essence of this beautiful love story. I remember his words:

Letting a person come into your heart

Even if it's for a brief moment

I believe such a thing is meaningful

All he wanted at that moment was to be there for CSH. He had felt her loneliness deeply when he asked her secretary:

"Does Ms Cha have no power over her life whatsoever? Is it necessary for her secretary to even make her cut ties with a friend?

.....I'm just surprised every day.

I realized that we really do live in different worlds"

That realization must have driven him to cross into her lonely world because it likely must have pained him to see how different they really are - his, a carefree & happy world; hers, a lonely and controlled world. CSH wasn't least embarrassed at his brave action. There were conflicting emotions but definitely not embarrassment. I could sense a mixture of wonder at his honest admission; surprise; uncertainty; fear and ultimately gratefulness to him for being there for her under that trying situation. KJH had deliberately mentioned "I have the money" to bring her back to Cuba closeness and he succeeded because her expression relaxed with wonderful memories, enough to bring a smile to her face even with the whole world looking on. 

KJH and CSH were clearly in their own world by the end of ep 4. 

#Boyfriend is just so amazing. PBG and SHK are just awesome with their acting.

A shout to the K-netizens: #Boyfriend can only do good for you! It's sweet; it's touching. It makes you cry but there are happy moments. Most of all, it's the connection between KJH and CSH that tugs at your heartstrings and makes you believe in destiny. And if you find a super-awesome #boyfriend like KJH, count it your blessing! So don't criticize.....

I can't write as good as this comment so please let me quote. :)

K-Drama is like a taste of food, some can attract many audiences but there are still complaints by a few group of people.

Definitely such a few group of people with complaints might attempt much harder to give negatve comments while many audiences with positive comments will spend time re-watching and reading more news/reviews joyfully.

Especially with the hallyu stars as Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo, the nitizens might wanna express their negative comments much more in order to be on spot because such nitizens' comments would be read much more with wider fans.^_^ ;)

6 hours ago, httpgttk said:

The most refreshing thing about this drama so far is that it gives us the traditional tropes but they are executed in new ways. Some people are saying it's predictable or boring but people didn't really expect what happened at the end of episode 4 -- it surprised us all. Most importantly, it gave a new depth to Jinhyuk's character. I've been seeing comments saying he's a flat bubbly character but I don't think those are fair at all because we've yet to see how he seriously responds to conflicts. His decision at the end of the 4th episode showed that there's more to him than we may see. Interfering with the bullying that happened at the end of the 4th episode seems stupid, theoretically. But his decision to protect CSH seemed like a calculated move and not just something he did without thinking at the heat of the moment, so I'm curious how he'll manage challenging authority when he's in a position of subordination? I wonder if he has a trick up his sleeve. I want to get to know Jinhyuk better. 

I sincerely hope this drama continues to surprise us. 

I like the part of this comment too, it explained so right.:wub:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

What I love about Encounter so far is  how the plot is moving very fast.

Make no mistake, I love SH - I am sure everyone does.  But the character of JH really surprises me - it is quite unusual in K-drama to have a male lead like him. He is 30 so neither too old or too young. He feels happiness in even the slightest thing around him and open himself to the adventure called life but he is not naive to the point of not understanding the social barrier between him and SH. He probably smiles widely too frequently for other's people liking but he is not an a wide-eyed person as he's been to military and understand his duty as the oldest son of parents who are fruit-seller. Despite his younger age than SH, he acts manly, caring and protective towards her like an equal.

JH is one of the most honest characters I have even watched. He acts on his feeling and does whatever he believes is right. Thanks to his positive attitude, he has lived his life happily until now.  

No wonder why his friend says once he sets his eyes on something, he never gives up.  4 episode and I already have not been able to predicted his behavior at all. It takes a brave man like him to make SH happy because he is willing to step into her lonely world despite all obstacles. 

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

the one with short hair is not park na rae, she is  a much senior comedian. on another variety with mung hun

Sorry, I wrote Park Na Rae but I meant Kim Sook. Got their names mixed up:sweatingbullets:

It would be so great if SHK also attended MAMA in Tokyo, good opportunity to promote the drama during this critical stage by the main leads.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Sorry, I wrote Park Na Rae but I meant Kim Sook. Got their names mixed up:sweatingbullets:

It would be so great if SHK also attended MAMA in Tokyo, good opportunity to promote the drama during this critical stage by the main leads.

she does not need promotion, plus it shud be more of tvn headache to promote

• Like 8