[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@shaselai @ahdrianaa The last picture (seeing his back in the mirror) underlines his loneliness and that he is also living in a "jail". The mirror frame can be interpreted as a fence. But  to me, this scene illustrated how empty JWS's life is. He goes to an expensive and famous bar but there is no life and beauty in it. It looks luxurious but cold, especially when the frames  contain no pictures! 

As for the marriage, we learnt a few things in the last episode:

- JWS's mother used to mistreat CSH in the past. She even confessed that once CSH is her daughter-in-law again, she will treat her better.

- Secondly, JWS even yelled at his mother: "WE hurt her in the past". So he does know that he did something wrong.

- Thirdly, he explained to the artist how he was perceived in a better light, when he decided to follow her decision with the trip. He didn't enjoy it but the result was that CSH must have behaved differently based on his words (he got good points for that!). So CSH was able to show some feelings, however it was for a short time.

To me, it really looks like JWS and his mother are the reason why CSH got even more distant and lived like a sleeping beauty.

Finally, when JWS wanted to offer the expensive dress, he wrote this stupid note: "I bought it on my way up". He definitely made the wrong decision. His words make it look like it was not something important. These words give the impression that he doesn't love her, he just did it like that... a thoughtless gesture without any meaning. But that's the exact opposite of what he is feeling. No wonder if she refuses it. Why should she accept it, when she thinks that the gift is not really a gift? Yes, he is helping her but always behind her back. She is unaware of it. His mother thinks that his love for her is pure, nonetheless she is mistaken. First JWS is not showing any love in front of his ex-wife, as he has never confessed. Then he is still hiding his true feelings for her. I suspect that he is still thinking that with time, she will change her mind. He does nothing in front of her in order to move her heart.   

• Like 16

2 hours ago, autumnight said:

https://www.kpopmap.com/block-b-p-o-is-full-of-energy-in-encounter-as-the-younger-brother-of/

Block B‘s P.O is acting in the hot drama “Encounter” with Song HyeKyo and Park BoGum.

The drama is the love story of a chaebol and an ordinary man. For more information and pictures about the drama, you can have a look at it here.

P.O is acting as Kim JinMyung, Park BoGum’s younger brother. His character is free and bright. He wants to succeed with his own company but he is not interested in his father’s fruit store.

P.O started to appear from the 3rd episode of the drama. His character just got discharged from the military service and he is back into the family.

Reveal hidden contents

P.O impressed with good acting and viewers could not help but smile because of his bright’s character. On his Instagram (managed by the company), the acting-dol also shared pictures of him with ‘his family’ in the drama.

P.O's interaction with BG really makes me smile :lol: It tickles me that he was wearing KJH's *cough*ugly*cough* brown sweater ... :P 

I'm really liking their relationship too!  They're so cute together. XD  And (maybe it's only me who noticed this) but I thought the casting director did a really good job of choosing actors that actually look similar to each other.  Obviously they're not really related, but the dad and PJH look alike, just like the mom and little brother have bright and long faces.  Just another way the staff is paying attention to detail and I love it!!

<<Finally, when JWS wanted to offer the expensive dress, he wrote this stupid note: "I bought it on my way up". He definitely made the wrong decision. His words make it look like it was not something important. These words give the impression that he doesn't love her, he just did it like that... a thoughtless gesture without any meaning. But that's the exact opposite of what he is feeling. No wonder if she refuses it. Why should she accept it, when she thinks that the gift is not really a gift? Yes, he is helping her but always behind her back. She is unaware of it. His mother thinks that his love for her is pure, nonetheless she is mistaken. First JWS is not showing any love in front of his ex-wife, as he has never confessed. Then he is still hiding his true feelings for her. I suspect that he is still thinking that with time, she will change her mind. He does nothing in front of her in order to move her heart.  >>

Sorry I can't quote things right @bebebisous33 but I thought this was an interesting take on it.  You're quite right-- if he never has confessed, how can CSH have any idea how he really feels.  He's trying (and I guess did the same thing while were married) to save face and not show how he loves her.  Just like CSH does to some degree with JinHyeok. (of course, with JinHyeok, saving face doesn't work)  Even now, if WooSeok wants CSH to marry him again, he needs to gather some courage and confess (and do a lot of other work too on the whole my-mother-wants-to-crush-your-spirit front).  That said, I don't know if I believe that CSH would ever really open her heart to him.  Neither then nor now.  She, in her own words, was sold.  And even if she agreed, even if JWS asked his mother to help him marry CSH because he had real feelings for her and it wasn't totally political-- it still wasn't CSH's choice.

And finally: sorry if this has already been said, but who else thinks that JinHyeok "fell asleep" on SooHyun's shoulder on purpose?  I think he knew quite well the degree of anxiety he had given her, by confessing so suddenly.  Falling asleep on her shoulder, no less, was his way of giving her a chance to speak frankly.  In my head, JinHyeok is a much savvier cookie than he lets on.  Since she'd already sent him one message via the radio, rather than telling him to his face that she wanted him to stay (and I suppose Manager Nam too), he was trying to give her a chance to send him another message. 

4 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i am confused why people blame ex husband.

I keep seeing, he doesn't know what love is or wasn't attentive to CSH, but question is was CSH attentive to him as a wife?

Is she not to blame for failed marriage plus how easily she gave up on the relationship (because she wanted an out). Did she marry out of selflessness? No, she did not. She had her own agenda, even if it is buying her peace of mind from her mother or supporting her daddy's ambitions.

This is a really good point!  Not everything is clear cut in this show or in real life.  But I think a point to consider, which JinHyeok even said in episode 4, is that Cha SooHyun is not given many choices.  Or rather she has choices: obey her parents and live according to society's expectations or don't and lose everything you think you hold dear.  I think the question she is going to be facing (and the writer will probably prove me wrong on this lol) is whether or not disobeying is worth it?  Will she lose everything, actually?  Or will she gain something even more precious than what she has now.

• Like 13

Episode 4's four-minute ending is as perfect as it could get -- the courage of KJH to step up  and into this other chaotic world that comes with the package that is Ms Cha; the play of emotions and thoughts on CSH's face (particularly her eyes) from fear for this Braveheart, to being moved  by this display of pure love; the priceless reactions  of each support character (yey Driver Nam!) including the unsupportive crowd; the surprising but impeccable placement of Pachelbel's classic Canon in D together with the close-up shots of JH's beaming face and his nice shoes, and the solid footsteps echoing, charging oh-so-surely  and gallantly past SH's moat and right in-front of her equally nice boots, their unspoken thoughts to each other; JH's seemingly crazy lines that reveal all that they are and not; the music about their first encounter day, more silent messages  and then cut to memories of Cuba, bare feet and sandals. it was as if saying --  "from having the rug pulled under your feet, and people just disrobing you of what you hold so dearly and privately, here i am, we take everything back to you, and all shall be well. all is well. starting this minute." how can the object of  affection not believe in that more? even with just that gentle, kind smile lighting up that charged space,  who wouldn't give hope a chance? and so we see SH's smiling back at the new world before her.

haaay life, if only we have more Jin Hyuk in this world

i just had to let go of the floodgates.

and hit that rewind button again and again.

and the same thing happens

esp with that choice of  music and the use of slowmo

and how all these text and subtexts have been woven creatively and technically in a 4-minuter scene is really the work of people who know their craft -- the lines, the performances, the shots, the edits,  the sounds and the silence, even the costume!

cannot wait for episode 5 and the rest.

in the meantime ...

here's Pachelbel's music to bring us back to that glorious JH moment for SH. i hope that track gets included in the OST, and wouldn't it be nice if it's PBG who gets to play it for us?

• Like 15

@foolmoondance The last scene is really extraordinary because JH is doing the exact opposite of JWS. Both are helping her but in such different ways. While JWS just asks to delete the bulletin board and through hacking discover the identity of the slander, JH decides to protect her in the open. He lets people see that they have just a normal relationship, nothing to gossip. It only took a few weeks for JH to confess that he has some feelings for her, whereas the ex-husband hasn't found the courage yet to confess his love for her after two years. JH is courageous because he decides to face on the problems, while JWS is using little tricks in order to avoid problems. He asked for a divorce because he had fallen in love with another woman... he believed that if he let her go, she would return to him at some point. He uses another trick with the dress. He is too scared to show his true feelings, hence he is giving her the gift as if it was an insignificant gesture. On the other hand, JH reveals to CSH that he put a lot of thoughts before buying the present and offering it to her. He had to convince her and at first, it seems that he had failed... JWS only wrote just a few words. To me, the efforts coming from both men are different. Striking is that JWS has not realized that he should have become close to Nam in order to get closer to JWS.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33 thanks much for juxtaposing those 2 characters. honestly, i am still too wrapped up with our  protagonists to give more thoughts on the second lead. but then i really need to at some point like right now haha. seriously, it shows all the more the kind of writing that goes into this drama. nothing is by chance. one character's details is heightened all the more by putting it next to another's. i really am looking forward to how the ex-husband's character will evolve, or not, as the narrative continues. will he be allowed to or will he himself choose to rise to the occasion? that is the challenge of the writing also. will this character go the way of the usual or just how things are going, we expect some pretty delightful surprises.

i like also how you pointed out the "tricks"in JWS' way of approaching SH. a complete opposite of how straightforward, honest JH has been.  even SH noticed this fact when she got back to SK and was reading JH's cv and remembering bits and pieces of info about himself that he gave while they were in Cuba. JH's could have made himself "more interesting" to a stranger but he didn't. he is just so sure of himself in the most endearing way visible to anyone.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

My guess is because we were introduced to him having cheated on her. We later find this to be false.  Also, if he loved her so much why couldn't he protect her during the marriage? He didn't treasure her when she was around.  Yes, we can't blame him entirely because she had a hand in the marriage too.  We have yet to see how their marriage crumbled. 

• Like 10

Seeing the preview for ep 5  where  JH and WS had a talk, it bothers me. First time to see JH with that face, it bothers and worries me.

Reading (again) the press releases , its stated that this is a romantic and tragic love story, will give us heartache. I'm scared of tragic ending, i want a happy one. But if this is so, i'm more worried for JH, can his innocent and pure heart take this?  I wish the poster where JH is embracing SH is telling us otherwise.

I don't think there are other actor/actress who can give justice to the roles other than PBG and SHK. I'm not really a follower of PBG, but now he gain one. 

Really, this drama is getting into my system.

For in my heart and in my mind, JH and SH are real and for real.

• Like 15

Just dropping by to say that I'm enjoying all your posts about Soo-hyun, Jin-hyuk, and Woo-seok so I won't add to those any longer.

So I'll steer clear of the main characters for now and would just like to add that I'm kinda lowkey shipping Secretary Jang Mi-Jin with Moon Snails guy Lee Dae-chan! I find their initial encounter abrasive yet hilarious! LOL

And I would stand by what I wrote in a previous post- that driver Nam is the best (and most adorable) thing in this drama! :wub:

• Like 16

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I keep seeing, he doesn't know what love is or wasn't attentive to CSH, but question is was CSH attentive to him as a wife?

Is she not to blame for failed marriage plus how easily she gave up on the relationship (because she wanted an out). Did she marry out of selflessness? No, she did not. She had her own agenda, even if it is buying her peace of mind from her mother or supporting her daddy's ambitions.

CSH believes that both were trapped in a lifeless marriage but she was still loyal to it.. She didn't break the marriage.. It was her husband who did it by telling that he had another woman n he wants to marry her.. Being trapped in a lifeless marriage, she might have thought at least one has found love n wants to be free.. So she readily rescued herself n her husband.. But we still don't know what happened inside their marriage.. Hope we get some glimpses of it.. But ppl r bitter coz he said he had a relationship outsidewhereas it's clear that he still loves her.. It's just immature of him.. I still pity him n CSH.. I consider them to be trapped!! Plus as u can see CSH has never had a day on her life, Now she has learnt that her life is precious n she vows that she won't be sold by her mom once again.. I hope we get more insight on their life!! 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

Seeing the preview for ep 5  where  JH and WS had a talk, it bothers me. First time to see JH with that face, it bothers and worries me.

:unsure: My guess is that whatever sad thing happened to make JinHyeok look that way was something like meeting SooHyun's mother for the first time?  And SooHyun will see it and investigate what the issue is. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@foolmoondance The last scene is really extraordinary because JH is doing the exact opposite of JWS. Both are helping her but in such different ways. While JWS just asks to delete the bulletin board and through hacking discover the identity of the slander, JH decides to protect her in the open. He lets people see that they have just a normal relationship, nothing to gossip. It only took a few weeks for JH to confess that he has some feelings for her, whereas the ex-husband hasn't found the courage yet to confess his love for her after two years. JH is courageous because he decides to face on the problems, while JWS is using little tricks in order to avoid problems. He asked for a divorce because he had fallen in love with another woman... he believed that if he let her go, she would return to him at some point. He uses another trick with the dress. He is too scared to show his true feelings, hence he is giving her the gift as if it was an insignificant gesture. On the other hand, JH reveals to CSH that he put a lot of thoughts before buying the present and offering it to her. He had to convince her and at first, it seems that he had failed... JWS only wrote just a few words. To me, the efforts coming from both men are different. Striking is that JWS has not realized that he should have become close to Nam in order to get closer to JWS.  

I totally agreed with these notices. 

In addition, even ex-husband helped CSH in some situations which his mom made such troubled situations, it might be just prompt considerate actions without much attempt, not pure love. 

Many Match making couples can be successful in marriage life if they or either of them try to be good to each other in time BUT I don’t think this ex-husband used to show his love to pursue her heart during their 2-year marriage. 

This ex-husband has really had another woman who asked him about progress in dating status during the dinner. 

Plus, the fact that “Interest, Like, and Love” are mutual feeling between two persons, it does not mean CSH has to feel good in couple/lover way with her ex-husband’s recent actions eg. help on the artist’s troubled situation by his mom, buy a cloth with pushing the seller to the corner with money.

Would a woman need to like or love the man with this headstrong and crazy rich expressions?

Would a woman appreciate a man who look down others and shows habits like money can buy anyone and anything? (eg. Buying ton of clothes for the seller in order to get the unavailable item.)

By the way:  I, my friends, and my relatives who sometimes watch K-dramas esp. starting when K-Drama ends because we don’t wanna watch sad ending ones as K-Drama has occasionally been. 

For the Encounter/ Boyfriend, after formal announcement of Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo,  we did not intend to watch because we did not feel any chemistry due to perception of age gap and Song Hye Kyo’s marriage status with Park Bo Gum’s close Hyung. 

However, we all have changed our mind and have started watching closely because their acting skills to portray the hard-to-believe roles so well, their aura of hallyu stars and their contrast chemistry. 

Park Bo Gum’s acting and rhythm has been changed and fine tuned suit KJH perfectly. Park Bo Gum’s KJH is not just bright and has free spirit but his KJH can also show very thoughtful dimension and thoroughly analyze situations sharply and wittily as audiences can feel his reaction in the role to people around CSH eg. the secretary and Mr.Nam. 

Song Hye Kyo can make audiences feel the position of hotel CEO and a daughter of a politician in the strong lime light with divorced status in the chaebol family

• Like 16

Encounter' Episode 5 Spoilers: Jin Hyuk & Soo Hyun Finally Reveal Their Relationship To The Public

BY JESSICA RAPIR / DEC 07, 2018 05:27 AM EST

jin-hyuk-and-soo-hyun-reveals-their-relationship-to-the-public-in-encounter-episode-5-photo-by-tvn-drama-youtube-screenshot.png?w=750 Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun reveals their relationship to the public in 'Encounter' Episode 5. Photo by tvN Drama/YouTube Screenshot

Jin Hyuk has mustered all the courage he has to reveal himself as the mysterious man in the news article who had ramyeon with Soo Hyun at the rest stop. In the upcoming Encounter Episode 5, the two will be out in the public and Soo Hyun is no longer scared of what others will say about her.

It looks like Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) has finally decided to be happy than to think about the opinion of others, her mother, and her former mother-in-law. In the teaser for Episode 5, Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum) are seen walking together in a park. At one point, Jin Hyuk's arm is seen wrapped around Soo Hyun's shoulder.

In the previous episode, both Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun showed courage when they continue to see each other amidst the gossip about the latter. Soo Hyun's secretary even asked Jin Hyuk to keep his distance from Soo Hyun as the slightest flaw that other will find about the hotel CEO could be blown out by the press. Soo Hyun herself also told Jin Hyuk that she doesn't want to get involved with him anymore before it makes her uncomfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT
Despite the discouragement, Jin Hyuk showed that no one can decide on how he should live his life than himself. Towards the end of Episode 4, he saved Soo Hyun from an embarrassing situation. Jin Hyuk also courageously asked his boss in front of the hotel's employees to go out on a date with him. The employees were shocked to find out that it was Jin Hyuk who spent time with their CEO at a rest stop.

Meanwhile, Soo Hyun's ex-husband, Jung Woo Seok (Jang Seung Jo), asks someone to look into Jin Hyuk's background. It looks like Woo Seok still care about his former wife and might be considering his mother's demand for the former couple to get back together.

In the previous episode, Jin Hyuk showed authority to Soo Hyun when the latter got involved in an accident. He is expected to show to Soo Hyun that she can depend on him as they move forward with their relationship.

Encounter viewers are also expecting to see more sweet moments between the lead characters of the tvN drama. Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk shared a touching moment together in Episode 3. Due to exhaustion, Jin Hyuk slept at Soo Hyun's shoulder just like what happened between them in Cuba. However, during their first meeting in Cuba, it was Soo Hyun who rested her head on Jin Hyuk's shoulder.

Meanwhile, Encounter has maintained it high viewership ratings for its latest episode. Song and Park's melodrama scored 11.46 percent in Seoul area for its Thursday's episode. Encounter airs every Wednesdays and Thursday at 9:30 p.m. on tvN.....source credit @http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/46416/20181207/encounter-episode-5-spoilers-jin-hyuk-soo-hyun-finally-reveal-their-relationship-to-the-public.htm

• Like 12

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@dvrels @aisling @chdom Okay, I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I am not developing any 2nd lead syndrome. Why?  Because despite his good actions, we shouldn't forget that he did hurt CSH a lot in the past. Even if he is "trying" to protect her from his mother now, he didn't really protect her in the past and he knows that. Remember that

- his mother knows that JWS has feelings for CSH. So when he asked for the divorce, she knew what JWS wanted to do: let her go but at some point, CSH would come back to him. JWS hasn't let go of CSH and she knows that. That's why there is this terrible divorce contract. CSH is forced to attend to the events related to her ex-family.  

- CSH thinks that JWS is not allowed to live like he wants to but in my opinion, she is wrong. She is just projecting her own "thoughts" and life onto JWS. Sure, JWS must have told her that he was forced to marry her. But was it really the case? I doubt it. Why? We were shown that JWS knows how to pressure his mother and to get what he wants, f. ex. she even agreed to the divorce because JWS wanted the divorce. I doubt that she will punish him for intervening with the painting therefore he is able to make such a move. All this proves to him that JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH has over her own mother.

- JWS thought that his mother didn't know that he had feelings for CSH but he was mistaken. We have the divorce contract as proof. So was it really an arranged marriage for JWS ? Maybe his mother noticed that he was attracted to her hence his mother choose to help him to get her. CSH had a good pedigree (social status, beauty, reputation aso) that's why she thought, this marriage would be so perfect. She would please her son, her company would benefit from it, just like CSH's father. But I sense that JWS might have told CSH that he was in the same situation.

Finally, we see that he doesn't want her to date any man... as he asked her not to date JH. So in his mind, she is still his wife. He hurt her, when he said that he had fallen in love with another woman. His words made her feel unattractive aso. JWS thought that CSH would fall in love with him as time passed on. A ridiculous idea, especially if he doesn't even try to woo her. He doesn't even try to understand her... all this time he is more focused on his feelings and himself than CSH: waiting for her to love him back. The bought dress was not a smart move for two reasons: it showed again that JWS can buy anything he wants (expensive, limited edition, aso) and he doesn't try to find something that would please her. Moreover the dress was in black. Notice that all this time, except in Cuba, CSH has been wearing cold colours (grey, black, white, blue) and the dress is also black. JH has been offering her shoes (brown) and a lipstick (red). All these colours are linked to earth and warmth... That's why his presents could symbolize as if he was bringing life and warmth to her. Moreover, the lipstick is different: this is not so expensive and unique... it won't attract attention like the dress (limited edition). CSH is looking for normality and not attention that's what JWS hasn't understood after so many years. He doesn't understand her loneliness, if he did, then he should have tried to connect to her. However, he is hiding many things from her and the most important thing: he loves her and has always loved her, therefore CSH is still unaware of his feelings for her. That's why she doesn't need to hide that she doesn't want to get back together... why should she think about it, when she had been confronted with these terrible words: I love another woman and I want to marry her!! 

Don't get me wrong: I don't hate him at all. But he is partially responsible for CSH's misery.

@alekaonu @USAFarmgirl @icyphoenix         

@bebebisous33  your thoughts helped me about the drama and JWS. my humble opinion, he wasted all of his time while they were together.  while she was struggling with his mother , he should protect her ( shows love, attention) and could have saved their marriage. He did not reach out to her and would not let his pride down .  Now she got someone who reach out to her then he asked her not to date JH.

( i am waiting for your opinion as well as other lovely chingus ( @twtwb and others)  sorry if you already posted about ep 4, i havenot checked it out yet)

Of course there is divided opinions about JH's ending scene ( creating quite a lot of buzz)... most of JH fan - ( what about his family, what about his peaceful,carefree happy life, why he wants to involve in this nasty politics/ chabol problem/ he can just choose to be quiet and then helps her like her ex-husband ) . most drama fan / SH Fan - who doesn't like to be protected especially facing embarrassment situation in public.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My thought about eps 3 and 4.. I feel eps 2 is better and makes my heart fluttering and smiling :wub:,

but eps 3 and 4 when they are together I feel a bit less excitement, less sparks than eps 2, I couldn't feel that they are missing each other or very happy when they met, maybe its just me. I hope next eps I could feel more love between the two of them.

BUT ending of eps 4 is very good.

I also like KJH brother and his assistant manager who has birthday, they bright up the drama. park bogum as KJH is very cute, very rare, he does'nt play games, internet, sns , he watch movies with his family , at weekend he reads books and helping at his parents store, he has good friend and kind-hearted, he's like an angel.

my hopes: her ex-husband could find a woman too and stop his feeling for CSH so that his mother would leave CSH too, CSH 's father will support CSH and KJH (either still go to blue house without help of MIL or stop politics).

sorry for my poor grammar.

• Like 5

we see in this the self-awareness of the writer of what is tired (*edit: i meant to say  ":tried" but then "it could be tired" too) and tested formula in writing dramas, particularly the romance genre -- "that fate" "the universe conspiring" "the gods having a day playing with the lives of our hero and heroin"  thing and yet we buy  into, heart soul and gray matter, because of how the writer is honest about it. no need to be pretentious bec her character JH has been created with such gift for reflection about the world he is in and has the words to make sense of it (again too, another boost for why reading is important in people's lives).

and again, delightfully we encounter, that roles-reversal motiff  that the writer has capitalized on. thank you  @gigivillaceran for pointing that out. i almost missed it being so engrossed in the other beautiful stuff happening.

and I must say how there are so much beauty in the way the cinematography has been approached from various angles. there are those dreamy scenes, and then those photos- within-a-photo scenes (ah the morning window scene with SH and JH out on the beach bench, i would have that printed out and framed or better yet i should take up art classes and make me my own version). these are also tying very well with SH's love of images (the hand-drawn paintings on actual canvasses ) and JH 's (the ones painted with light thru black and white photography).

speaking of cinematography, if there is a link to a SNS that belongs to the cinematographer/s, PLEASE SHARE CHINGUS.  i remember, during PBG's Moonlight Drawn by Clounds/Love in the Moonlight run, an IG accnt of one of the cinematographers (i think) was found by fans and it was such a delight just browsing thru them and well getting bits and pieces of BTS stories. TNX IN ADVANCE!

Edited by foolmoondance
typo, photos quoted, help with info
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

You're welcome! ;)But honestly, my goal was not to convince you to change your opinion. :D I just wanted to outline different aspects that are not shown and said in the drama but can only be seen, if you analyze the characters and situation. I have the impression that the writer wants to avoid the clichés of a typical second lead: he wasn't a nice person from the start or becomes so jealous that he starts hurting JH aso. Right now, JWS is acting like a normal man with qualities and flaws which is quite refreshing.

The reason why JWS failed in his marriage is due to his environment and education. He was raised by a mother who thinks that everyone values money, power and social status as the most important things in the world. Notice that his mother said that if CSH was about to lose the hotel, she would come back to the family J. because the company (the D. hotel) represents a lot of income and power. To conclude, in her eyes, everyone wants to be that rich and powerful: people envy her and her son.

She thinks that this applies to CSH too. And JWS is not different. Based on his actions and the synopsis, JWS thought that his social status and wealth would make any woman fall for him. He thought that CSH would be not different hence he waited for her.  But both were wrong. CSH is more concern about freedom, friends and family than power and money. Sure, she never had any worries about money due to her father's career but she is seeking for normality and simplicity, whereas JWS and his mother are the exact opposite. They like being in the center of the attention: a dress from a limited edition, her parties where CSH has to attend aso. That's why he fails to see and understand and why it can not work. Living with him will always make her feel lonely as she is always in the spotlight which she hates.    

No don't feel bad because you think I lost interest to ex husband because of you, that's not like that. I said I start to lose interest to ex-husband, not completely lose interest in him. I'm still interesting in how he will keep protecting CSH from his own mother. Hopefully he wouldn't want CSH to get back with him.

@dahae2006 yeah I agreed with you, he waste all his time while they were together, when you love someone you should make a move, even it's hard to face the reality when you got rejected but if you never tried you'll never know

• Like 8

ENCOUNTER is also a tale about Time and I would even go as far as saying, it is the third person between and around our two main story characters.

first, Time has "conspired" with the rest of the universe to bring these two characters together in particular moments and spaces.   

how the images of  time pieces (SH always looking at her wrist, she surrounded by all that wall pieces showing various time zones), the props (35mm film camera, radio cassette recorder) from certain eras that JH's character so loved are so well-placed details. this to me is what makes this tv drama a good collaboration among different storytelling medium (putting out that literary narrative and the audiovisual storytellers knowing exactly how to put that across from their end).

the precision of the moments that the events happen, and the fluidity and consistency of the character's  responses to the situation,  puts the timelessness of the narrative.

and so it appeals to a wide range of audience in terms of age group  viewership.  but i guess, people in my age bracket (pre-millennial) are into it because of we've had the benefit of time lived and the still possibilities of halfway more.

this YT video tells this story  of Time and the MV of OST #1 is but  a fitting acknowledgement  of this other character.

(i know i posted this before but it's just so beautiful not to share again )

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1