[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

STYLE IN DRAMA

Song in HyeKyo's drama

I want to follow the main character in the drama fashion? Song Hye Kyo style this winter!

20181207_155550155_21954.jpg

Actor Song Hye-kyo who returned to the Braun tube in two years after <Sun Genre> . What is her favorite drama? The drama "Boyfriend" has become a topic of conversation every day with the breath of the night soul. The costumes worn at the production presentation were also enough to catch the eye of the fans. 

Song Hye-kyo's chosen item is Avoabo, which features a white long jacket that gives a point with a slender belt like a mini dress. The shimmering twinkling earrings that make Carl's hair look even better are products of Chaumet . The Josephine Agret Collection is a combination of diamonds and pearls, creating an elegant and luxurious feel.

Through this drama, Song Hye Kyotransformed into a 'Cha Soo-hyun' who became a divorced woman with a daughter of a politician and a chaebol . The production presentation fashion was a perfect look reflecting the style of 'Chae Soo Hyun', which was a career woman and at the same time refined his tasteful style from his birth.

20181207_155557284_84947.gif

"Boyfriend," a collection of topics with a beautiful visual impression of a trip to Cuba. Song Hye Kyo 's red dress, which blends perfectly with the exotic and colorful Havana landscape, has been a big success throughout the broadcast. Also included are simple black strap watches, Dior 's lady bag, Didier 's earrings, and Sukomarboni's sandals.

20181207_155600404_88249.jpg

Spoiler

Above mentioned red dress is Aboaboproduct, and one silk of sky sky and flare design is impressive. At the same time, you can feel the classic charm with a neat shirt design. Color is also intense red, suggesting the moment you fall in love! 

20181207_173354751_55868.jpg

In this drama, Song Hye Kyo often matches shirt style tops to match the title of hotel representative. Instead, it features a selection of materials such as cisterns and silk, adding a soft and elegant impression. The bright pink shirt blouse is a product of Loropiana . Also Hermes , like Kelly Bag choosing representatives back of house brands and styling to feel the luxury.

20181207_155610186_04050.jpg

'Cha Soo-hyun' character with cold personality like 'Ice Princess' hits on unwanted spotlight. The costumes chosen by Song Hye-kyo also have many monochrome achromatic costumes. I chose the navy skirt two-piece even in the scene where I forcibly attended the place to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. This is also Avoabo product.

20181207_155613072_32104.jpg

What accessories are suitable for a bang hairstyle in a short shoestring close to a short cut? Right earrings! As simple as possible, it does not contain any special accessories , and it matches the earrings of diverse styles such as Didier Dubois  Emu , and Ile Le Laur . The earrings of the earring which is compatible with the neat single foot, the connection keyword called 'Song Hye Kyo boyfriend earrings' appeared in the honey chemi.

20181207_15561744_36726.gif

A warm winter item, Turtleneck is a key item to complete 'Cha Soo-Hyun' fashion with earrings. One can see the styling that is now just for reference to the winter drama, which is the match between the neat and elegant outer and turtleneck. The look that matches Avoabo 's herringbone coat and black turtleneck is a fashion that you want to follow even tomorrow!

http://m.elle.co.kr/article/view.asp?MenuCode=en010101&amp;intSno=22367

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So first of all, thank you TVN for all the great dramas of this quarter! My drama watching schedule is full. My most favorite among their dramas now is Encounter/Boyfriend. It's just so beautiful to watch! The lead actors are not my celebrity biases but after this drama they might be on the top of my list. I always thought that SHK is the most beautiful Korean actress (Autumn in my Heart is my first Korean drama. While watching that drama I remember my dad told me that he's ready to swim to Korea just to meet her lol) meanwhile I always liked PBG in Nodame Cantabile, Reply 1988 and Youth Over Flowers. CSH is my favorite role of SHK so far. KJH and Taekki for now are tie. I believe that there is more to KJH's character that they havent shown yet.

Secondly, thank you for all the posts in this forum. I love reading the discussions here.

My favorite character is CSH. In the latest eps, it was good to know that there are actually lots of people who cares for her. Mr. Nam and Sec. Jang are not just her employees but also close friends. However their protectiveness did not help CSH to get out of her loneliness. Although they insist on accompanying CSH, they let her be when she tells them that she's fine being alone. Contrary to KJH who knows that deep inside CSH gets too lonely when she's left alone and persisted to spend time with her. Came as a big surprise was the ex-husband. Shame that his mom is the worst MIL to CSH. Pity that his love is a burden/obstacle to CSH's happiness/freedom.  Letting go of the one you love for her happiness is a brave thing to do but it brings misery to one's self. For years CSH and the people around her are  stuck but soon their lives will be changed after CSH's encounter with KJH.

I laughed when KJH wondered if CSH will think that he's a stalker. One chingu here said that after seeing her, he might have followed her that's why he was there in time to catch her when she almost fell. honestly that's what I thought too as well lol. They had a lot of fated encounters it's unbelievable. KJH is convinced  that all these are not nothing. 

About the preview for next ep, KJH said "Will we ever meet again?" Does that mean that one of them is leaving? Separation so soon?

• Like 15

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@dvrels @aisling @chdom Okay, I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I am not developing any 2nd lead syndrome. Why?  Because despite his good actions, we shouldn't forget that he did hurt CSH a lot in the past. Even if he is "trying" to protect her from his mother now, he didn't really protect her in the past and he knows that. Remember that

- his mother knows that JWS has feelings for CSH. So when he asked for the divorce, she knew what JWS wanted to do: let her go but at some point, CSH would come back to him. JWS hasn't let go of CSH and she knows that. That's why there is this terrible divorce contract. CSH is forced to attend to the events related to her ex-family.  

- CSH thinks that JWS is not allowed to live like he wants to but in my opinion, she is wrong. She is just projecting her own "thoughts" and life onto JWS. Sure, JWS must have told her that he was forced to marry her. But was it really the case? I doubt it. Why? We were shown that JWS knows how to pressure his mother and to get what he wants, f. ex. she even agreed to the divorce because JWS wanted the divorce. I doubt that she will punish him for intervening with the painting therefore he is able to make such a move. All this proves to him that JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH has over her own mother.

- JWS thought that his mother didn't know that he had feelings for CSH but he was mistaken. We have the divorce contract as proof. So was it really an arranged marriage for JWS ? Maybe his mother noticed that he was attracted to her hence his mother choose to help him to get her. CSH had a good pedigree (social status, beauty, reputation aso) that's why she thought, this marriage would be so perfect. She would please her son, her company would benefit from it, just like CSH's father. But I sense that JWS might have told CSH that he was in the same situation.

Finally, we see that he doesn't want her to date any man... as he asked her not to date JH. So in his mind, she is still his wife. He hurt her, when he said that he had fallen in love with another woman. His words made her feel unattractive aso. JWS thought that CSH would fall in love with him as time passed on. A ridiculous idea, especially if he doesn't even try to woo her. He doesn't even try to understand her... all this time he is more focused on his feelings and himself than CSH: waiting for her to love him back. The bought dress was not a smart move for two reasons: it showed again that JWS can buy anything he wants (expensive, limited edition, aso) and he doesn't try to find something that would please her. Moreover the dress was in black. Notice that all this time, except in Cuba, CSH has been wearing cold colours (grey, black, white, blue) and the dress is also black. JH has been offering her shoes (brown) and a lipstick (red). All these colours are linked to earth and warmth... That's why his presents could symbolize as if he was bringing life and warmth to her. Moreover, the lipstick is different: this is not so expensive and unique... it won't attract attention like the dress (limited edition). CSH is looking for normality and not attention that's what JWS hasn't understood after so many years. He doesn't understand her loneliness, if he did, then he should have tried to connect to her. However, he is hiding many things from her and the most important thing: he loves her and has always loved her, therefore CSH is still unaware of his feelings for her. That's why she doesn't need to hide that she doesn't want to get back together... why should she think about it, when she had been confronted with these terrible words: I love another woman and I want to marry her!! 

Don't get me wrong: I don't hate him at all. But he is partially responsible for CSH's misery.

@alekaonu @USAFarmgirl @icyphoenix         

1 hour ago, icyphoenix said:

@bebebisous33 That's exactly the reason I m not having 2nd lead syndrome here.. As I mentioned before JWS doesn't understand what truly a love is, what longing is or how to love a person.. As his mother n his status provided what he wanted.. But that wasn't the case in CSH.. He wanted to have the different woman CSH who was very different from the girls who flock over him.. But then him marrying her, didn't make her heart to to him.. She was just cold.. This is my analysis that he might have thought that if I say I had an affair then she would show some kind of reaction which would show that she was interested in him like he was.. But it badly backfired.. Then he thought with her attitude, she wouldn't be able to find someone else other than him, so she will eventually come to him happily!! But again it went wrong.. He didn't try to understand what she wanted.. Like CSH had to ask for the trip in car with him n he agreed.. In case of KJH,  he shows her a new world, he tries to make her happy in small things... JWS doesn't know the context of proper love.. 

I just don't want him to turn negative coz of his love.. I just want him to learn what is true love by seeing KJH n CSH!! Hope he turns into a new leaf!! 

I can't really like this ex-husband from all the reasons above.

He looks too complicated to love a woman sincerely and what he is doing to CSH might be possessive to his ex-wife.

What he explained to the artist might be just a memory when he could earn some points to his ex-wife, that's nothing special in his super rich life in powerful family.

Last but not least, obviously as a valuable son, he can fight against his mom anytime.  -_-

• Like 6

13 hours ago, foolmoondance said:

Could be Saltnpaper and title "Take Me on"

it has not been released yet that is why we don't see it.

I feel a bit confused by the name of the artist because I thought, "wow, that doesn't sound like Salt-n-Pepa" :lol:  But I went hunting on line and there is a Korean indie artist by that name.  I think you got the answer for us  Thank you!

info about the artist:  http://seoulbeats.com/2013/06/k-pop-indie-gem-saltnpaper/

4 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

When your own daughter chooses CSH over you. Mother asked her daughter twice who she found prettier, CSH or her. Daughter pointed to the TV both times.

Such a cutie!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, rdturbo said:

hey, I think you got something wrong in the post.

kjh drops csh near her house, not his. after dropping off he crosses the road and is looking left right for a taxi but she calls him back because of the gift.

he doesn't drop her directly to her house because there are reporters outside her house.

Oh crap, my mistake I rewatched it and you are right.:scream: :sweat:I just looked at the rubbish bin and made the assumption.

I deleted my incorrect rant from the website as well. Next time more watching less writing. Thanks again.:glasses:

Also regarding the reporters, they should follow her rather than pass time in front of her home bad work ethics in my opinion.:sleeping:

• Like 5

15 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@dvrels @aisling @chdom Okay, I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I am not developing any 2nd lead syndrome. Why?  Because despite his good actions, we shouldn't forget that he did hurt CSH a lot in the past. Even if he is "trying" to protect her from his mother now, he didn't really protect her in the past and he knows that. Remember that

- his mother knows that JWS has feelings for CSH. So when he asked for the divorce, she knew what JWS wanted to do: let her go but at some point, CSH would come back to him. JWS hasn't let go of CSH and she knows that. That's why there is this terrible divorce contract. CSH is forced to attend to the events related to her ex-family.  

- CSH thinks that JWS is not allowed to live like he wants to but in my opinion, she is wrong. She is just projecting her own "thoughts" and life onto JWS. Sure, JWS must have told her that he was forced to marry her. But was it really the case? I doubt it. Why? We were shown that JWS knows how to pressure his mother and to get what he wants, f. ex. she even agreed to the divorce because JWS wanted the divorce. I doubt that she will punish him for intervening with the painting therefore he is able to make such a move. All this proves to him that JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH has over her own mother.

- JWS thought that his mother didn't know that he had feelings for CSH but he was mistaken. We have the divorce contract as proof. So was it really an arranged marriage for JWS ? Maybe his mother noticed that he was attracted to her hence his mother choose to help him to get her. CSH had a good pedigree (social status, beauty, reputation aso) that's why she thought, this marriage would be so perfect. She would please her son, her company would benefit from it, just like CSH's father. But I sense that JWS might have told CSH that he was in the same situation.

Finally, we see that he doesn't want her to date any man... as he asked her not to date JH. So in his mind, she is still his wife. He hurt her, when he said that he had fallen in love with another woman. His words made her feel unattractive aso. JWS thought that CSH would fall in love with him as time passed on. A ridiculous idea, especially if he doesn't even try to woo her. He doesn't even try to understand her... all this time he is more focused on his feelings and himself than CSH: waiting for her to love him back. The bought dress was not a smart move for two reasons: it showed again that JWS can buy anything he wants (expensive, limited edition, aso) and he doesn't try to find something that would please her. Moreover the dress was in black. Notice that all this time, except in Cuba, CSH has been wearing cold colours (grey, black, white, blue) and the dress is also black. JH has been offering her shoes (brown) and a lipstick (red). All these colours are linked to earth and warmth... That's why his presents could symbolize as if he was bringing life and warmth to her. Moreover, the lipstick is different: this is not so expensive and unique... it won't attract attention like the dress (limited edition). CSH is looking for normality and not attention that's what JWS hasn't understood after so many years. He doesn't understand her loneliness, if he did, then he should have tried to connect to her. However, he is hiding many things from her and the most important thing: he loves her and has always loved her, therefore CSH is still unaware of his feelings for her. That's why she doesn't need to hide that she doesn't want to get back together... why should she think about it, when she had been confronted with these terrible words: I love another woman and I want to marry her!! 

Don't get me wrong: I don't hate him at all. But he is partially responsible for CSH's misery.

@alekaonu @USAFarmgirl @icyphoenix         

Now I start to lost my interest in that guy, the ex-husband. After reading your explanation make me think "He doesn't consider her that much as I thought he was, he did everything just for himself not for her"  Now JWS should learn to love from KJH, have nothing but fight for his love. Jinhyuk-sshi *fighting* 

@bebebisous33 thank you for the explanation :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chdom said:

You got me! I’m thinking I like the actual actor, not his character. 

i am confused why people blame ex husband.

I keep seeing, he doesn't know what love is or wasn't attentive to CSH, but question is was CSH attentive to him as a wife?

Is she not to blame for failed marriage plus how easily she gave up on the relationship (because she wanted an out). Did she marry out of selflessness? No, she did not. She had her own agenda, even if it is buying her peace of mind from her mother or supporting her daddy's ambitions.

• Like 3

Bout the ex husband.

I love the character already.

Well all of the character.

But let's go deeper with WS.

We dunno when he fell for CSH. But probably during their marriage. Which explain why he fely defeated and letting CSH to have her space. As he can't handle her coldness. But we can see how resourceful he is. So, we all know he'll try to get his way with CSH. But how far? He sound genuine now. Though he believes both of them failed to understand each other. He kept some strings between them. Monitor everything from a far.

I'll hate if he'll just kept helping her from a far. But I'll also hate him if he get in between KJH and CSH.

Lol... writter-nim. I bet you'll bang your head several times to get this story not atypical yet typical

This drama should never be watch 2 episodes per week. It killed us with curiosity, freezing mind because we keep repeating the scene. And fell all over again with KJH and CSH...

• Like 6

I wouldn’t say how easily she gave up the marriage by now, just seeing how MIL control her and her ex, I can imagine how her life had been . Having a MIL like that, it’s an unfortunate thing. Of cos for a broken marriage, it’s hard to pinpoint just bcos of her or his faults, it isn’t any final answer  for every marriage, I think. As she choose for not having any contacts or anything to do with her ex, I guess it has more reasons than we have seen so far. And For him to let her go like that, he must have felt how hard it was for her for being in that marriage. I do feel pity for him though, but there is for sure a reason behind that. And I wouldnt say how easy for her to give up the marriage bcos I can imagine her had been living in hell on earth .

JH moved closer to SH, he is quite daring guy  lol

scEg3i.gif

dc

• Like 8
  • LOL 11

49 minutes ago, dvrels said:

Now I start to lost my interest in that guy, the ex-husband. After reading your explanation make me thing "He doesn't

consider her that much as I thought he was, he did everything just for himself not for her"  Now JWS should learn to love from KJH, have nothing but fight for his love. Jinhyuk-sshi *fighting* 

@bebebisous33 thank you for the explanation :D

You're welcome! ;)But honestly, my goal was not to convince you to change your opinion. :D I just wanted to outline different aspects that are not shown and said in the drama but can only be seen, if you analyze the characters and situation. I have the impression that the writer wants to avoid the clichés of a typical second lead: he wasn't a nice person from the start or becomes so jealous that he starts hurting JH aso. Right now, JWS is acting like a normal man with qualities and flaws which is quite refreshing.

The reason why JWS failed in his marriage is due to his environment and education. He was raised by a mother who thinks that everyone values money, power and social status as the most important things in the world. Notice that his mother said that if CSH was about to lose the hotel, she would come back to the family J. because the company (the D. hotel) represents a lot of income and power. To conclude, in her eyes, everyone wants to be that rich and powerful: people envy her and her son.

She thinks that this applies to CSH too. And JWS is not different. Based on his actions and the synopsis, JWS thought that his social status and wealth would make any woman fall for him. He thought that CSH would be not different hence he waited for her.  But both were wrong. CSH is more concern about freedom, friends and family than power and money. Sure, she never had any worries about money due to her father's career but she is seeking for normality and simplicity, whereas JWS and his mother are the exact opposite. They like being in the center of the attention: a dress from a limited edition, her parties where CSH has to attend aso. That's why he fails to see and understand and why it can not work. Living with him will always make her feel lonely as she is always in the spotlight which she hates.    

• Like 10

My two cents is that it’s a little too premature to like or dislike the ex husband.

8-E5492-C2-0998-4-A50-A9-CA-B2894-DA43-D

When CSH goes to meet him in episode 3 in the background there are several mirrors with wooden frames hung on the wall behind them. After watching the scene a second time I noticed that all the frames aren’t the same and they’re actually not all mirrors, since they’re empty and because of the lighting it looks like they’re all mirrors. Since paintings and wall art have been used in the drama to show some sort of connection to the characters,  this use of empty wall frames must have also been done deliberately.

22-BA46-C7-8-B7-E-4-FB0-B84-A-B4-E132-EE

37940-E10-5255-4566-9-BF9-15-C54-F768453

The last shot of the scene is a mirror reflecting him sitting alone after CSH leaves the restaurant. The mirror is being used as a device to remind the viewers that the only concrete knowledge available to us at this present moment is that he loves her, that his feelings are one sided and not reciprocated by CSH.

The empty frames hide both the past and the possible future between the two , as the story unravels we will learn more and these empty frames will become obvious to the viewers. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:41 PM, yonaomi123 said:

Speaking of which!  Did anyone else like the neat little bit of foreshadowing they did in ep1 regarding the disastrous result of their ramen "date"? :D  I had initially thought it was just a little throwaway comment that Secretary Jang was making about what happened last time they stopped at a rest stop (I've assumed she meant that they got swarmed by papparazzi), but it made a neat little bookend to the end of the second episode.  Now it's got me wondering what other hints they've dropped about what's coming that I haven't noticed yet.

it appears there are quite a few hints dropped in Ep1 about her ex-husband as well. At this point (Ep3), I'm quite intrigued by the fact that her ex-husband apparently has feelings for her. I wonder if he had cheated on her to give her an excuse to get out of the marriage.

• Like 6

https://www.kpopmap.com/block-b-p-o-is-full-of-energy-in-encounter-as-the-younger-brother-of/

block b po drama, po encounter

Block B‘s P.O is acting in the hot drama “Encounter” with Song HyeKyo and Park BoGum.

The drama is the love story of a chaebol and an ordinary man. For more information and pictures about the drama, you can have a look at it here.

P.O is acting as Kim JinMyung, Park BoGum’s younger brother. His character is free and bright. He wants to succeed with his own company but he is not interested in his father’s fruit store.

P.O started to appear from the 3rd episode of the drama. His character just got discharged from the military service and he is back into the family.

Spoiler

block b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterblock b po drama, po encounterP.O impressed with good acting and viewers could not help but smile because of his bright’s character. On his Instagram (managed by the company), the acting-dol also shared pictures of him with ‘his family’ in the drama.

P.O's interaction with BG really makes me smile :lol: It tickles me that he was wearing KJH's *cough*ugly*cough* brown sweater ... :P 

qkSyvQl.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why there is this terrible divorce contract. 

Speaking of the divorce contract, will the vaguely worded "if something unforunate happens" even stand up in court? I have a feeling this will play a huge role in the later development of the melodrama but I wonder if the scriptwriter ran this by a lawyer. Can CSH lose everything when it is not clearly defined what "something unfortunate" means?

• Like 11

hellokpopenocunter-4.7-e1544170530827.jpg?zoom=3&resize=360%2C218&ssl=1SCREEN CAPTURE FROM VIU

K-DRAMA

4 Key Moments In Park Bo Gum & Song Hye Kyo’s “Encounter” Episode 4

By abbyinhallyuland | December 8, 2018

SETTING A BOUNDARY IS NOT AN EASY THING TO DO WHEN THE UNIVERSE CONSPIRES TO PUSH FOR A SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE ROMANCE TO HAPPEN IN THIS WEEK’S EPISODES OF ENCOUNTER.

You have to admire how gutsy Kang Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum) is, to declare his feelings toward his boss Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) in the third episode of Encounter. Owning it with conviction in the succeeding chapter is remarkable.Encounter

Enveloping viewers with anticipation and slightly worrying us with its romantic journey, Encounter maintains the top spot in the midweek rating’s race, securing 9.2% for this week’s episodes.

ENCOUNTER EPISODE RECAPS

Premiere, Episodes: 3

Here are four key points that would add weight to the conflict that is soon to be traversed in the story.

1. CONNECTION                      Soo Hyun politely dismisses Jin Hyuk’s declaration, but the latter musters his strength, backed up by his sweet analysis of how their connection seems to have been blessed by fate. He invites her for a quick coffee break to a very nice place.

2. CONFESSION

Encounter 4.1
Encounter 4.4

Tired from driving back to Sokcho, Jin Hyuk dozes off while sharing a cup of coffee, overlooking a beautiful view of the sea.

Not knowing that he wakes up from his quick snooze, Jin Hyuk listens as Soo Hyun narrates her sad childhood memory of how she never had the luxury of having friends while growing up.

Spoiler

3. SOO HYUN’S BLACK KNIGHTS

Encounter
Encounter

Soo Hyun’s ex-husband, Jung Woo Suk (Jang Seung Jo), warns his mother Chairwoman Cha not to meddle on his ex-wife’s affairs. He even goes to the extent of hunting down artist Jang, who has been avoiding Soo Hyun to denounce what she agreed to with his mom.

Declining the gift she receives from Woo Suk, Soo Hyun also denies getting the artist’ painting free of charge, which was worked on by her ex-husband. Jin Hyuk meets with Soo Hyun’s secretary-friend Mi Jin, and is advised by the latter not to pursue his feelings for their boss if he is just curious. Clarifying that he is not just curious, Jin Hyuk stands on what he believes that his fated encounter with Soo Hyun is meaningful.

4. “I’VE MADE MY CHOICE. I DECIDED TO TAKE A STEP FORWARD TO THE WORLD YOU ARE STANDING IN ALL ALONE.”

Encounter

Despite the warning, Chairman Cha carries on with her plan of making life hard for Soo Hyun. She lets her cronies in the hotel move to fire up the latter’s dating scandal by posting it on the internal employee forum.

The executive being groomed by Chairman Cha stirs a scene after work, placing Soo Hyun in a tight position. Mr. Nam steps in, but the vile executive taunts even more. Just then, Jin Hyuk calls Soo Hyun, and makes a move that will cause them a no-return situation, faintly admitting that he is the man involved in the hotel boss’ dating gossip.

ENCOUNTER EPISODE 4 AFTERTHOUGHTS

I exclaimed a cute omo as my heart skipped a beat in the dying minutes of Encounter’s Episode 4, as if I was watching a thrilling drama. *chuckles

This week, we learned two kinds of bravery from Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk – one that protects one’s self, the other of shielding another person needing it.

We got a glimpse of how Soo Hyun’s life has been everything but a lie while growing up. Her role of being a perfect daughter obedient to her parents, even to the point of getting an arranged marriage, was well established.

In a way – meeting someone who is slowly making her feel that she matters as she always has a choice and does not need anyone’s opinion about what makes her happy – leaves a ruminative message for those who shares her sentiments.

Encounter

Jin Hyuk, as smart as he is, knows well that everything will be hard if he shoots for a relationship with a woman that is way beyond his league. The social norm, age disparity and economic status have been modern essential parameters in creating a relationship. But Jin Hyuk’s character is making us go back to the basic meaning of how a lingering relationship begins — via chance encounter, sharing and listening to each other’s stories, and empathizing each other’s pain while sharing dreams together.

Encounter has always been clear on the romantic plot it is keen to thread to. That’s why it is easy to be drawn to its pragmatic storytelling.

It does not push viewers to overanalyze by keeping the conflict within the audience’ understanding. It sure does have typical prototypes of characters, particularly villains, pertinent to melodrama structure, but it is shining because it has poignant plot shifts, made engaging by the relatable sketching of the main characters, being focused on by the narrative.

ABOUT THE WRITER

abbyinhallyuland reads and sleeps a lot when she is not traveling. Her calendar reminders are mostly K-Drama broadcast schedules and birthdays of her favorite Korean actors. Promoting K-Drama watching as stress therapy is her life advocacy. She is fond of Spencer Reid, Kenshin Himura, Starwars saga, Haruki Murakami, Studio Ghibli and Hunter x Hunter.

Favorite Korean Dramas: Reply 1988, Nine, Misaeng, Gaksital, Discovery of Love, Because This is My First Life, Descendants of the Sun, My Love from the Star, Healer, Punch, You’re Beautiful, Coffee Prince, Princess Hours, The Greatest Love, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, and City Hunter

*All photos screen captured from VIU. Fans can watch Encounter on VIU......source credit @https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/encounter-episode-4-recap/

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

My two cents is that it’s a little too premature to like or dislike the ex husband.

When CSH goes to meet him in episode 3 in the background there are several mirrors with wooden frames hung on the wall behind them. After watching the scene a second time I noticed that all the frames aren’t the same and they’re actually not all mirrors, since they’re empty and because of the lighting it looks like they’re all mirrors. Since paintings and wall art have been used in the drama to show some sort of connection to the characters,  this use of empty wall frames must have also been done deliberately.

The last shot of the scene is a mirror reflecting him sitting alone after CSH leaves the restaurant. The mirror is being used as a device to remind the viewers that the only concrete knowledge available to us at this present moment is that he loves her, that his feelings are one sided and not reciprocated by CSH.

The empty frames hide both the past and the possible future between the two , as the story unravels we will learn more and these empty frames will become obvious to the viewers. 

I partially agree that we dont know how they were introduced to get married. From her side it seems she just went with it. He also mentioned to her in ep3 that they dont control their lives. So my guess would be he went with it too and tried to make the best of it and ended up liking her. 

He did cheat though and *maybe* it is revealed later he did it for her because he wanted to free her. Either way whether he tried to love her but she didnt reciprocate and he gave up or he did cheat, she was not interested in him.

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 8

I know it's a waste of time to go on netizenbuzz because that place is filled with haters who will jump at any opportunity to hate on idols/actors, particularly the popular ones but I couldn't stop myself from reading the comments and it's kinda disheartening, not gonna lie. Bogum has always been praised for his acting in his past dramas even on netizenbuzz articles then suddenly it's like they've turned on him... I'm just kind of surprised. but oh well, the more popular you are, the more haters you really get no matter how good you may be I guess :(. I hope the rest of the episodes of Encounter will end up proving those too-critical people wrong. So far, I'm seeing a lot of polarized reactions about the drama. Some are really positive while some are quite negative. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5