[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@jma030201 I also wondered where her child was and why no one mentioned it in the first 2 episodes. So I looked at the character description on TvN's webpage for the drama and it says nothing about her being a mother - it seems they changed it.

차수현 (송혜교)
동화호텔 대표

정치인 아버지를 둔 딸은 자유롭지 못하다. 아버지 선거운동 때마다 띠를 두르고 인사를 하고 노래를 했다. 똑똑하고 예쁜 수현은 곧 연예인만큼 유명해졌다. 그렇게 국회의원의 딸에서 서울 시장의 딸로. 이제는 당 대표의 딸이다.

아버지를 청와대에 입성시키고 싶어 하는 엄마의 빅피쳐에 맞춰 대학 졸업 후 태경그룹 아들의 아내가 되었고 지금은 재벌가에서 이혼당한 여자가 되었다.

이혼하던 날, 수현은 웃었던 것 같다. 살 것 같아서. 위자료로 다 죽어가는 사업 ‘동화호텔’을 받았고 미친 듯이 매달렸다. 그리고 4년 만에 업계 1위를 만들었다.

태경그룹 전 며느리보다 동화호텔 대표로 살고 싶은데 이혼 후에도 전 시댁의 그림자가 목줄처럼 그녀를 조여 온다. “태경그룹 이미지에 결점을 남기는 불상사가 발생할 시 동화호텔은 태경그룹으로 반환된다. 이 모든 결정은 이사 회의를 통해 결정한다.”

그 ‘불상사’가 뭘까. 어찌 되었건 아직 그 ‘불상사’는 없다.

Source: http://program.tving.com/tvn/encounter/11/Contents/Html

Google translation:

Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo)
Donghua Hotel representative

The daughter of a politician father is not free. Every time during my father 's election campaign, I wore a belt and greeted and sang. Soo-hyun, who is smart and beautiful, soon became famous as an entertainer. So from the daughter of a lawmaker to the daughter of Seoul's Mayor. It is now the daughter of the party leader.

After graduating from college she became the wife of the Taekyung group's son to help her father enter the Blue House, and is now a divorced woman.

On the day of divorce, Suhyun seems to have laughed. It seems she will get to live. She received the 'Donghwa Hotel', a business that was dying with alimony, and worked like crazy. And in four years, the hotel is now at the top of the industry.

She wants to live as the CEO of Donghwa Hotel rather than the  former daughter-in-law of Tae Kyung group. But even after the divorce, the shadow of her ex-family is like a collar. "If there is a misfortune that damages the image of Taekyung Group, Donghwa Hotel will be returned to Taekyung Group. All of these decisions are made through a meeting of the board of directors. "

What is that "misfortune"? In any case, there is no such thing.

(Also I find it adorable that Donghua/Donghwa Hotel can be translated as Fairy Tale Hotel :))

• Like 16

1 hour ago, guinearoyal said:

I agree with your analysis of the ex-husband and JH. Also, something additional that I think the ex-husband had going against him was his mother. from what I was able to gather from the two episodes is that his mother was rather controlling with SH, even more so than her parents as suggested by her outburst with her mother. 

And while the ex-husband apparently loved her, I am wondering if he was subtle in controlling her as well before the ex-husband let her go. Since she apparently never opened up to him or relaxed in his presence.

JH on the other hand, never seemed to control SH and listened to what she wanted to do...which everyone around her seems to discourage her from. To me a very telling scene was when they stopped at the rest stop in the first episode, SH clearly wanted to have ramen at the stop. But it was shot down and since SH has been controlled most of her life, she let them get their way. So she has expressed her desires and wants before, but it appears that they get constantly shot down or shoved aside because it does not fit in with that everyone else thinks should be done. JH doesn't seem to do that, from the time that he met SH, he has not stopped her from doing what she wants, in fact he does encourage her and gets her to do even more. That is why she invited him to do the ramen stop with her, she knew that he would be someone who would not prevent her from doing it and would enjoy the experience with her. Though he won't let her do extravagant things for him...which is good because it shows him as independent from her and not dependent on her to take care of him. It makes him manly and demonstrates how he can be a pillar she can lean on. A theme that was suggested when he saved her from falling and she fell asleep on him. 

I think it is funny how people have been commenting about the awkwardness and disliking it. Mostly because the awkwardness fits perfectly in the context of the story and particularly with the korean social structure.

Firstly while it is obvious that JH likes SH in Cuba, he is aware that she is much older than him, even though she never told him her age. So while he would like to be more casual with her, he can't, not so much because of them still being strangers, but also because of the fact she is older. Which is why he apologized when he kept forgetting and was was treating her more like someone his own age. 

This conflict increases for him when he gets hired and finds out she is his boss, but the CEO. Again, social structures dictate that he acts a certain way to her... but again he clearly likes her...ALOT. And since he likes her, he wants her to like him back...but she is older, his boss, and amazing CEO...

So how exactly is he supposed to behave with her when he has all of those social barriers that are clearly viewed as very important in Asian countries? That is where I see his awkwardness stemming from. 

SH on the other had, has a bit of an advantage since social structures actually allow her to be more casual with him and as her boss she can get him to do things. But then again, she is VERY aware of the same social structures that separate them. So she can't quite be as open with him...yet.

I think that however, as they spend more time with each other and get to know one another better, those social barriers will come down. 

Which I am greatly looking forward to! :D 

I really enjoyed reading your analysis. Yes, the mother-in-law seems to be controlling SH even much more than SH's mother. And this is the reason why SH resents her mother so much. CSH was already suffocating even before getting married and once she became the daughter-in-law, she had to deal with a person that was way worse than her own mother. So her golden cage got even smaller, she had less freedom than before. Thus in her eyes, her own mother made her suffer even more. Your comment also made me realize why in the preview, CSH dares to defy her mother with her reply: "I won't let you sell off your daughter one more time." On the other hand, she seems to "listen" to her ex-mother-in-law in distancing herself from JH. The ex-mother-in-law will threaten her with JH. However, in the long run, I think that CSH will become more courageous and will dare to defy her ex-mother-in-law. 

Striking is that her mother blames her for the divorce... and I sense that the ex-mother-in-law might have told her something similar. 

• Like 17
  • Love 1

I have watched the first two episodes and I am loving this drama.  I found myself wishing that I had waited to watch it because this is a drama that I would love to marathon.

I think complete strangers first meeting (especially under her circumstances, stolen pocketbook, no money) would be a little awkward towards each other.  Therefore, their reaction towards each other and their awkwardness were spot on.  Some have stated that this drama reminds them of a movie, and I have to agree.  I think both actors are doing a fantastic job and their emotions are realistic and fit the situation.                   

• Like 21
  • Love 1

Hello everyone, I typically stayed away from melodrama since I only like rom com. However, PBG and this drama has drawn me in. I have watched ep 2 and I love it. I think it makes sense for the 2 leads interaction to be awkward due to their huge difference in age and social status. Hope the drama continues to be good!! 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

@ahdrianaa - spot on analysis on Roman Holiday. I have not watched that movie but I googled and read about it yesterday due to this drama. I hope this drama doesn't follow the ending of Roman Holiday though. 

This drama is heart fluttering and I feel embarrassed for SH when she suddenly stopped in the middle of her speech in ep 2. I'm like "OMG SH, you're making it too obvious!"  However, I do feel that JH is a bit too green for SH and typically, you would be in a very different stage of life if you have a 10 year age gap. I hope this drama will convince us that JH is compatible and a suitable match for SH despite his young age and lack of experience in life. I also wonder if there's going to be a time jump in the drama in order to address this issue....                                                                       

Edited by beebeep
  • Like 13

Spoiler

AJJWDDFC5VL8CFA4Y71I_1024x0_226x146.png

I am happy to see that they put the problem earlier on, so that we are able to see how both characters handle it on their own or maybe together.  If it is not, some viewers would have been in a dream like state, heart fluttering moment and forget the reality based on the first episode (I was.. :blush: )

“Drama is anticipation mingled with uncertainty.” by William Archer

It really makes me want to know what will happen next... 

• Like 11

@ahdrianaa wow ur analysis n comparisons from the movie scenes r just soo perfect!! Grt observation!! 

As everyone mentioned abt CSH's ex hubby loving her.. I guess he loves her but his love is confined to his mother's commands, his status n etc!! I don't think he dared to express his love for her freely like KJH can do in future as I believe!! He finally thought him getting a new lover would trigger something from CSH,, but she remained passive n asked for alimony instead.. I guess he wanted some kind of expression from her when she sees him but he sees none!! I found his love by his statement "will you be happy to See Me? If I resolved it? ".. I guess her ex too had to learn to love beyond boundaries.. Hope he sees KJH n CSH n discovers his newself!! 

From the preview, it looks he will be disheartened more, I feel pity for CSH.. Her character is surely a curious one.. She likes to explore n ask questions n roam around.. But she is confined coz of her status.. As the start of the show showed her as her father's daughter n a chaebol's wife n a celebrity.. She was just like a dead person suffocating in her status!! But when she met KJH, she met what was she longing for.. A person who is willing to let her explore without stopping.. A person who was willing to explore it with her n be happy abt it with her!! That's y she is hesitant to leave KJH after their day is over!! 

KJH while is the person who saw her interior beyond her status n finds her adorable for her true self that is curious in nature.. During the speech, he was clearly embarrassed to see her but still her speech made him proud n happy!! His happiness clearly shows that he doesn't care abt status, age or being divorced etc!!.. He just wants to show her the sweetness of life which she has missed!! 

But it seems CSH will leave him as he is being slandered coz of her.. Hope KJH grabs her!!

P.s. guys have anyone noticed that the friend of KJH also has this tiny crush on him?..  She looked at KJH when she saw the news.. Did she notice that it was him even though the face of him was blurred!! 

• Like 17

Alright now I've watched episode 2 (at a time other than 4 AM, no less), I have a better formed opinion.

Song Hye-kyo is absolutely amazing. Performance was perfectly on point, measured and disciplined. Also her beauty... Song Joong-ki goes home to this? Lucky bastard.

I'm gong to have to echo a comment I saw earlier about Park Bo-gum overacting a little with the cuteness. It's not a huge issue, but it's definitely there. However, I also agree with a sentiment from above that there is no other actor that I see in his place. I cannot think of anyone else that mixes boyish charm, positivity and gentleness.

The cinematography was some of the best I've ever seen in a K-drama. In fact, it was so good, it almost felt like a movie at times (especially the scenes in Cuba). Whoever was behind that camera had great eyes for beauty. The sunset scene, with the most perfect music in the world -- simply seraphic.

Speaking of music, the OST was also noteworthy, not just in the high quality, but also how it transcends K-pop genre conventions. Thanks to the scenes Cuba, you do hear Latin and folk music elements. There were also distinctly classical elements. Combined with the usual genre tropes, and you get this strangely original and organic body of OST.

Two episodes in and I'm impressed. Keep up the good work, and they will be in good shape.

BTW: was CSH's mother played by the same actress that played Song Hye-kyo's mother in DOTS?

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Yenung Joa said:

Does any of you guys found him "overacting" when he tries to be cute or during nervous moments??:sweat:

Also, check out the Recap of episode 2

https://www.asiandrama4u.com/encounter-episode-2-recap/

No, he's not.  That's how you act when you feel giddy and nervous in front of your crush.  Girls are like that and it's not different with boys, too.  

To add, they can even talk and look silly, or lose focus, become absent-minded, rattled.  Many of us experienced that, even I. 

• Like 20

logo_b.png

NEWS
Posted by yckim124 AKP STAFF  12 hours ago

'Boyfriend' is the fastest tvN drama to reach double-digit viewer ratings

song-hye-kyo-park-bo-gum.jpg

New tvN drama 'Boyfriend' had a very successful first week. 

According to Nielsen Korea, the second episode of 'Boyfriend' aired on November 29th recorded an average viewer rating of 10.3%. This is a 1.6% increase from the first episode. 

This also makes 'Boyfriend' the fastest tvN drama to reach double-digit viewer ratings. 'Boyfriend' also recorded the second-highest viewer ratings for a premiere episode

The heart fluttering romance between Song Hye Kyo (Cha Soo Hyun) and Park Bo Gum (Kim Jin Hyuk), as well as the beautiful cinematography, are gaining much love and compliments from viewers. 

Episode 3 will be airing next Wednesday, December 5. 

song-hye-kyo_park-bo-gum_1543601356_dd.jpg

• Like 10

I enjoyed reading all posts here. Thank you all :)

8 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

P.s. guys have anyone noticed that the friend of KJH also has this tiny crush on him?..  She looked at KJH when she saw the news.. Did she notice that it was him even though the face of him was blurred!! 

She has a crush on him. In her character description,

"She’s a childhood friend of Kim Jin Hyuk, and has developed feelings for him. She has always felt that Kim Jin Hyuk has led a busy life and hopes that once he gets a job and settles down, he’ll have the time to finally see who she is and fall in love with her."

https://www.soompi.com/article/1268647wpp/tvns-encounter-shares-detailed-descriptions-interesting-cast-characters

I think she noticed it, because she and Jinhyuk had a conversation about their CEO (CSH) in playground before.

8 hours ago, dydrawer said:

Also her beauty... Song Joong-ki goes home to this? Lucky bastard.

Bo Gum's drunk scene made me laugh so hard and now this :joy:

Actually netizen also said,

Spoiler

8 hours ago, dydrawer said:

BTW: was CSH's mother played by the same actress that played Song Hye-kyo's mother in DOTS?

Yes, she was the same actress, Nam Ki Ae

On 11/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, gumtaek said:

Sorry @bohmi! It worked perfectly for me! And it was soooo hard to stop watching! I just loved watching Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum's faces.....so pretty and handsome! Will start posting now...

I'll try again next week. Thank you :) and please get some rest..

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1