[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

hi onion head

0rlqytptyt8l.gif

ycsn71qvtcne.gif

DtIRsrpUcAAiMnO.jpg

--------

“Encounter” breaks ratings record for tvN

Updated : November 29 2018

“Encounter” seems to be the best thing that has happened to tvN this year, as the show has broken the cable channel’s previous ratings record.

The pilot episode of the much-anticipated romance drama starring Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum came out on top in Wednesday night’s ratings battle, scoring a viewership rating of 9.4 percent, according to the TV audience measurement service TNmS.

To put things in perspective, “Encounter” debuted with a higher rating than the pilot episode of “Mr. Sunshine” which garnered a rating of 8.5 percent.

Spoiler

(tvN)
The show also beat SBS’ historical fantasy series “The Last Empress,” which aired at a similar time slot Wednesday night.

Prior to airing, “Encounter” drew attention for its star-studded cast and exotic filming location in Cuba.

During a press event last week, actor Park said, “Old and modern art coexist in the country, which came across as refreshing and exotic. As the country is full of music and dance, I think it made me feel more upbeat.”

By Yim Hyun-su (hyunsu@heraldcorp.com)

[Ratings] "Encounter" Overwhelms From the Start

Save

2018/11/28

Spoiler

photo1020098.jpg

According to Nielsen Korea, which has returned to delivering ratings after a hiatus following the KT fire, the new tvN drama "Encounter" rated 8.683%.

It was the highest viewing rate among three dramas aired on the day. The Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum pairing received much attention even before its first broadcast, and the attention proved fruitful.

Spoiler

Meanwhile, SBS drama "The Last Empress" rated 5.7% and 7.9%, MBC "Red Moon, Blue Sun" rated 3.8% and 4.7% while KBS 2TV drama "Feel Good To Die" rated 2.4% and 3.5%.

Source : /news.nate.com/view/2...

Hancinema

• Like 15

A great first episode! We can definitely understand how CSH has been living all this time: she was just a tool for her father who used her beauty and popularity in order to push his career. I guess that her marriage was a marriage of convenience too. Even after getting divorced, she is still living under the rules of her ex-mother-in-law who tells her what to wear and where she needs to be present. Even the media dictate her life... she is not able to leave the car in order to eat some ramyun. Based on the preview, we discover that her nickname is the ice princess as she appears distant and cold. Notice that her ex-mother-in-law forced her to wear a blue dress which contributes to make people think that her nickname is deserved. However, in Cuba she wears a red dress, the exact opposite indicating that she is capable to be passionate. She caught the main lead's attention while wearing this dress.

To conclude, I sense that since she has been living in a golden cage, she has never been able to show any feelings. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

The Cuba Episode was enchanting, it definitely was like magic. I wish we could have stayed there longer. The first Encounter was magical in every sense be it from the scenery, the glimpses of Jinhyuk’s everyday life in Cuba with locals and his fateful meeting with Soohyun, of reactions of fans, the hype after the airing of the episode and the rating. 

I’m like Jinhyuk waiting for the next episode

giphy.gif

As for the reaction of netizens, it wasn’s shocking at all. Since I had followed the news since the beginning, at first everyone’s reaction was negative it wasn’t until fans of both PBG and SHK came forward to comment that we saw a change in the comments. So it’s completely normal to read about those netizens’ reaction since they don’t like either or both leads. 

As for general drama fans (knetizens and international kdrama viewers) who are not happy with the pace of Boyfriend or the story, my guess is that nowadays kdramas are fast-paced with a kissing scene in ep1-2, getting together and breaking up or a having a bed scene by ep7. It doesn’t give you time to digest it like good old days and everything happens so fast. I don’t know if the story of Boyfriend/Encounter will be spectacular since the weakest link in this production is the writer but what I’ve sensed from the early synopsis till now is that Boyfriend is nostalgic, it will give you every step of having a cush on someone to falling in love and being in love, we will see their yearning, sadness and happiness. The heart fluttering experience of watching their love story is why I’m here. Let’s hope for the best.

Lots of love to you 

DtIY2YkV4AAqgFU?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 13

4 hours ago, angel4 said:

U can go to this link http://fastdrama.se/encounter

Thank you so much but I actually want the SRT , the soft subs only without the video ^^;;  anyone know? 

edit :

Found the SRT files! if anyone also like me, like to download HD videos on torrent and sync it with ENG SRT, here you go!

https://subscene.com/subtitles/the-encounter-boyfriend-namjachingoo

The torrent videos I download from Korean website so you must know how to read Hangul then you can navigate the web ^^;; it's https://torrentwal.net/ 

• Like 3

Hi everyone I'm new member here.

Seriously first episode really lovely, i mean the second you watch it, you'll understand how and why Cha Soo Hyun being like she is now. No wonder the memory of Cuba really enchanted to her. And how Park Bo Gum portrait Kim Jin Hyuk really well. Seriously the sunset view in El Malecon Beach really beautiful and I like the old hotel garden very beautiful. If I have to choose my fav scene in first episode i will go for the scene where CSH ask for KJH's money, the way KJH answer with smile really melt me (hahaha) and the second was when KJH find out who is CSH and the moment he got the called from Donghwa Hotel. Can't wait for tonight episode, seeing the still cut, looks like Cha Soo Hyun will be so surprised seeing KJH as one of her staff. Can't wait their interaction after they know about each other background

• Like 11

Wow...what an exciting evening spent in Havana. :wub:

It would be perfect, if they could see eachother in the morning too.

But regardless, it was nice how JH waited for SH to appear until

the last moment.

And also it was nice how she did show up.

On the airport JH was thoughtful, and he didnt do  anything that might make

SH feel uncomfortable.

But, ofcourse that he was happy, that she approached him first. :)

The epilogue was cool.

What fate decides, it will happen.

• Like 10

In general, I'm not that worried about reviews on the first episode of dramas because first episodes usually tend to be slow since they're meant to introduce characters and contexts (unless of course, you're watching a super fast plot-based drama instead of a character-driven one). I remember some people also found the first episode of Love in the Moonlight kind of uneventful. The same thing happened with the first 5 episodes or so of Reply 1988. But both of those dramas, despite being more character-driven, have eventually won over the hearts of viewers. Reviewers at dramabeans, for example, give shows the 2-episode test to see if a drama is really worth watching because the first episode is not really indicative of the drama's quality. Let's just hope the script really turns out good. 

Nonetheless, I loved the first episode. There were people who were saying they looked awkward but imo, that was the point since they're complete strangers to one another and their personalities are polar opposites. Imo, SHK and PBG captured the awkward-and-shy-but-curious-about-each-other vibe that I think they were supposed to display. It was realistic. At this point though, I hope the drama won't be cliche or cheesy. It's beautiful in terms of cinematography and production but its fate really lies on the script... but I guess we'll see.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2