[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

• 1 month later...

I just finished Encounter few weeks ago via Netflix and found myself re-watched 3 times already. Then came to smoopi forum for bts.. it's been couple of years since I came smoopi..

You cannot imagine I've been reading this thread from page 1 every single day..

SHK is starting new drama soon.. but, i havent let go of CSH + KSH yet!!!

And i have also restrained myself from watching any other PBG shows since, so not to break the bubble.. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 5:10 PM, ahdrianaa said:

Enjoyed reading everyone’s posts! 

I’m probably not the first one who noticed the many references to the movie Roman Holiday. There were so very many! As if it weren’t enough that KJH actually refers to her as his Roman Holiday Princess. 

The movie began with a broadcaster reporting on the princess, the drama begins with a broadcaster reporting on CSH.

The princess loses her shoe, CSH loses her shoe. 

The princess complains about her nightgowns and her attendant tries to placate her by saying that she owns lovely things! CSH complains about the outfit she has to wear to the party and her secretary tells her that the buttons on the outfit are quite lovely.

The princess is made to take something that will make her sleep better after she has an argument with her attendant , CSH takes a sleeping pill after she gets into a small argument with her secretary. Despite knowing that they’ve taken said medicine both of them set out on an adventure. 

The first time the male leads in the movie and drama meet the Princess and CSH they’re both sleepy thanks to the effect of the medicine. The princess leans on Joe’s shoulder, CSH sleeps for hours on KJH’s shoulder. 

The princess asks for Champagne and other things when to the viewers it’s obvious Joe is  tight on money, CSH asks for beer, food, more coffee and salsa tickets and our male lead KJH is literally left counting his last savings! 

On the first night both the male leads don’t know the identity of women. Joe doesn’t know the Princess’s identity. When KJH meets CSH he wonders if she’s a celebrity because she looks familiar but he can’t place her.

Joe finds out the next morning via a newspaper article . KJH sees CSH leaving the airport with her secretary and looks for the business card that the secretary had given him because he wants to return her shoes. When he sees a familiar name - Donghwa hotel , he learns of CSH’s identity via news articles. 

Joe takes the princess to the wall of tiles full of stories of people whose wishes came true and tells her to read a few of the inscriptions but she can’t get herself to read them because she thinks her wishes are too impossible to come true , KJH writes a message and posts it on the notice board at the cafe where she is supposed to meet him. CSH lands up at the cafe after he has left but never gets to read the message he’s left her. 

The princess wants to go dancing and they do,  CSH and KJH also go salsa dancing.

The princess is taken on a horse driven carriage, from the spoiler picture taken by fans we know CSH and KJH take a chauffeur driven ride in that classic red convertible.

In the movie they fall in the water, in the spoilers for the next episode CSH seems to have lost the game on the beach and KJH is urging her to enter the water. 

The pictures taken of the Princess are returned to her during the end of the movie which were taken without her knowledge, KJH is giving CSH the pictures he took of her without her knowledge.

The princess addresses the journalists and media and is surprised to see Joe Bradley in the crowd - this is the first she knows of his real identity and profession. He had told her he was in the agriculture business. CSH sees KJH in the crowd of new entrants in Donghwa hotel, he had told her he was in the fruit selling business! 

The princess when addressing the media addresses Joe personally but only to his knowledge and CSH does the same when she sees KJH. 

When the princess is reprimanded by her entourage for her behavior, she flares up and says she knows her responsibilities towards her family,country and has always honored them. CSH gets angry with her mother in the second episode and tells her that she has always done what was expected of her. 

But there are some differences in the movie and the drama. 

The princess’s entourage is unhappy because she’s too willful to be an appropriate princess, they would like her to be more measured. CSH’s mother and husband are unhappy because CSH is too cold and unfeeling,  they wish she would be more expressive and warm. 

Joe grabs onto the Princess’s hand as if by instinct several times in the movie and she lets him. KJH grabs CSH’s hand in similar fashion on two occasions and she pulls her hand away. 

The paparazzi taken shots of the princess are returned to her by Irving the photographer, it’s a final closing of that chapter of her life but CSH’s shots are revealed by the paparazzi, which looks like it’s going to be the start of a whole lot of problems. 

The public meeting in the ballroom is supposed to signify the end of magical “holiday” for the princess and Joe. The speech by CSH in the conference hall is supposed to mark the beginning of KJH’s stay at Donghwa. 

In the movie Joe gets to know the princess’s identity and lies to her about his own. In the drama CSH knows KJH from the accident but doesn’t tell him and later apologizes for not being truthful.

In the movie Joe obviously has ulterior motives to spending time with the princess, KJH has none even refuses to give her his number in case she thinks he did all the things he did just to get her number. 

In the movie the Princess gets a short haircut as a sign of rebellion , CSH’s short hair like the rest of her outwardly appearance is probably controlled either by mother or her mother in law. 

The princess loses her shoe because she’s uncomfortable while receiving the foreign dignitaries, her entourage are aghast and embarrassed by her behavior, CSH ends up removing her shoe after being convinced by KJH furthermore he joins her by removing his own shoes and shares her embarrassment.

The princess refers to herself as Cinderella and talks about glass slippers. Now glass slippers are bound to be uncomfortable and a girl might take them off. CSH calls herself Cinderella when her secretary asks her what’s with her leather slippers. CSH laughs and says maybe she’s Cinderella - but those slippers look awfully comfortable and probably aren’t prone to causing aches and pains. 

Hopefully unlike the movie where the ending moral is that not all romantic encounters have a happy ending and stay a memory our drama will have a happily ever after!!!!

I’ve probably missed loads of other moments because I haven’t seen the movie in a while, I hope someone collects them all and makes a side by side reel of the movie and drama. There will probably be more as the drama continues. 

Wondering when is she finally going to ask him what the question was that he was going to ask her at the cafe during breakfast. For someone who is so curious about KJH she’s forgotten the most important thing that she’s meant to ask him.

The shoes are obviously a Cinderella metaphor and in the fairytale the story like the pair is incomplete until they find their way back to the owner but here we have a complete set of shoes that he buys for her which she were for temporary use till she reaches the hotel but she’s actually gone ahead and added them with the rest of her expensive designer shoes. Then we have her shoes which are with him, where he’s almost built a small little shrine dedicated to her with  her shoes and the soft toy that she won for him. CSH even wonders what happened to her shoes, she obviously doesn’t know they’re sitting on prime property in his room where he even steals glances at them while on his work table.. haha and KJH is under the impression that she didn’t really value the leather slippers, little does he know! 

Many things to look forward to, can’t wait for next week!

Fabulous analysis and excellent comparison and contrast to the Roman Holiday movie.

Your reference to the shoes finding their way back to the owner for a fairytale like the Encounter to complete happily happened at the end when Kim sent Cha’s shoes back to her. That served as the final straw that triggered her desire to reconcile with Kim. Kudos to your forward thinking in that you predicted the happy ending in Episode 16 while only viewing Episode 2.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, gumtaek said:

@rahma92

Reveal hidden contents

This comment reminds me of the shipping war that took place during the airing of Reply 1988.  Many reacted violently to the fact that Choi Taek became the husband of Duk Seon. Many thought it will be Jung Hwan. But if you watched carefully and read the dialogue, there were many hints dropped by the scriptwriter along the way that Taekkie will be the one. This is not the venue to expound on it. You will find a lot of discussion about it.

I've posted once that this is a nuanced/layered drama. Many things are not explicitly said and there is a need to "read between the lines" to understand and appreciate these. Boyfriend is like that. Boyfriend's style is a restrained one...dialogue is loaded with meaning, hence, it is not verbose... The drama is like poetry...you need to, in a sense, read it over and over again to extract its beauty. Dialogue in the drama could sometimes be sparing but a lot of body language---including facial expressions---made up for it. These, viewers will have to learn how to read.

From the Encounter in Cuba, Kim Jin Hyuk was clearly smitten with Cha So Hyun. When he accidentally caught her on camera, his expression said it all. I am guessing here---I could be wrong---but when Cha Soo Hyun nearly fell off the ledge and Kim Jin Hyuk prevented her from falling, didn't you wonder what happened before that? It's likely that he followed her---since Kim Jin Hyuk is a pure soul, he could be considered as a safe stalker :). I wonder if there is indeed this scene and if it will be shown in the future episodes. The interaction when CSH woke up was all body language but it speaks volumes of the attraction between the two. No words. Just stares and glances. Kim Jin Hyuk's asking how long Cha Soo Hyun was staying in Cuba and asking her to have breakfast with him the following day---I will not call it a date yet.---is a proof that he's interested in her. In the reunion during the Welcome Address of Cha Soo Hyun at Donghwa Hotel, their faces tell it all...the loving expression on Kim Jin Hyuk's face and Cha Soo Hyun's stunned expression and stalled speech (only in Kdrama:)) looking at Jin Hyuk, say so much how they feel toward each other. My fave is Cha Soo Hyun's confrontation of Kim Jin Hyuk's 12:42nn call? (I mean, how can you remember the very exact time unless you really care about the person! This is so typical of women as they are so much into the details.) 

I could go on and on...the playground scene, the drunken scene, the ramyun scene...and all of Episode 3...how Kim Jin was solely concerned about Cha Soo Hyun and was completely indifferent to how it would impact on his person...alll these, if picked up by the viewers, will make the Confession reasonable/logical.

@gumtaek Agreed with your assessment regarding Kim as a “stalker” when he accidentally took a picture of Cha through his camera. His facial reaction upon seeing her said it all. He was already curious about the red dress lady without knowing anything about her yet but a passing moment. Literally it seems like “like at the first sight” for Kim. So I believe he “followed” her to the sunset watching ledge. There the audiences get a quick glimpse of Kim via his white linen shirt with his camera hanging around his body. In fact, I think he was sitting probably about 20 feet away from Cha. That was a fortunate event that he was so close to her to rush towards her to catch her before she fell off the ledge. That was a first big save by Kim (there are two more big saves by Kim later in the drama). :)