Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Spoiler

When people can’t associate the difference between personal life and professional career; whatever they wrote  is far-fetched, full of bias and Irrational.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Park Bo Gum Talks About Working With Song Hye Kyo And His Goals For 2019

By KM D.
Feb 04, 2019 05:45 PM...

Park Bo Gum talked about working with Song Hye Kyo in the recently concluded drama Encounter. The actor also shared his thoughts about his popularity, as well as his goals this 2019.

During an interview with Sports Today on February 1, Park Bo Gum said he chose Encounter because he has genuine affection for his character Kim Jun Hyuk, Soompi reported. He said the character was adventurous, affectionate, and optimistic and he knows how to treasure what he has, even the small things. Kim Jin-Hyuk also knows how to love and care the people around him, and the actor hopes viewers will always remember the kind heart of the character.

Park Bo Gum and Song Joong Ki are close friends, and even before the premiere of Encounter, a lot of fans called it a romance between him and his friend's wife, Song Hye Kyo. But, the actor said the drama series is not between him and Song Hye Kyo, it's a romance between the characters - Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun.

Park Bo Gum also praised Song Hye Kyo and talked about working with her, saying he realized why many fans called the actress "melodrama queen." The actor said Song Hye Kyo says everything with her eyes whenever she's acting a sad scene, and that's one of the reasons why everyone compliments her. When he saw Song Hye Kyo's eyes, that's when he realized what they were talking about.

"She was really like CEO Cha Soo Hyun, and because of that, I was able to fall deeper into my role as Kim Jin Hyuk," he added.

Talking about popularity, Park Bo Gum said he's not afraid it may fade someday. He said popularity isn't forever and he's not afraid of falling because that's inevitable. He's thankful and amazed to everyone who loves hand supports him. The actor said he wants to cherish it always and he's working has to give back the love and support.

For his goals this 2019, Park Bo Gum said he wants to be on screen more. He also wants to try something new and also to try acting in a genre piece. Aside from that, the actor also wants to be a part of projects where viewers can relate to and projects that could relate to him as well.

Encounter is a drama series that follows the story of Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk, they had an unexpected encounter and eventually falls in love with each other.....source credit @http://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/107255/20190204/park-bo-gum-talks-about-working-with-song-hye-kyo-and-his-goals-for-2019.htm

• Like 8

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

This last picture reflects perfectly JWS’s life: loneliness.

Looking at how life turned out for him, I almost want to smack him. Not because he’s doing something wrong rather in doing nothing. He did nothing starting from their marriage and then did nothing when he knew who sabotaged the Cuba hotel plans. He did nothing for CSH and he did nothing for his mother. I wont be surprised if the entire company will collapse in his hands.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

Looking at how life turned out for him, I almost want to smack him. Not because he’s doing something wrong rather in doing nothing. He did nothing starting from their marriage and then did nothing when he knew who sabotaged the Cuba hotel plans. He did nothing for CSH and he did nothing for his mother. I wont be surprised if the entire company will collapse in his hands.

I agree with you. All his actions were fruitless and pointless. That's why I consider him as the conceited man because the latter is exactly like that: he needs people in order to exist but his seeking for admiration is pointless and fruitless, even boring.

https://wordpress.com/view/bebebisous33analyses.wordpress.com

So far, I put  the following analyses together:

Love via cellphone --> here is an addition: 

To conclude, the use of cellphone in this drama reflects the evolution of our modern society. However, there is this common critic that cellphone and Internet contribute to the isolation of people and lack of interaction and communication among people. Strangely, the drama showed the positive side of the cellphone.

Symbolism of citrus fruit in Encounter with some changes at the end:

JH’s mother uses her “weak constitution” and “gentle, sweet manners” in order to have her family focused on her. That way she is able to get her ways. Her words towards CSH were actually rude in my opinion:

– First, she expected CSH to be upset. She never mentioned the word “pain, suffer” or something similar. She implied that CSH’s pride had been hurt or CSH considered herself as superior. 

– Secondly,  she made an allusion that CSH had never intended to marry JH. “Dating doesn’t lead to marriage”.

– Thirdly, she claimed that CSH and JH belonged to two different worlds. This showed that she had no idea about CSH and had huge prejudice about her. Moreover, she used this as an excuse that they couldn’t be together.

To conclude, the mother is as selfish as the other mothers in this drama. Her own fear and her desire to keep her son by her side were the reasons for the rejection. The syrup of tangerines was a gift as a departure, a reminder that our heroine should do what the mother asked her. She perverted the gesture, the wish of good luck was turned into the opposite.

- the playground (part 1 and 2) are now together  

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

I expected a kiss at the end of episode 15 lmao but it didn’t happen. Ok I’m watching last episode now! I’ve waited some days before watching these two last eps because I didn’t want it to end already.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33

i agree. Thats one form of manipulation from KJH’s mom has always been through food. She might not be aware that she is manipulating, but she is. The old minx. However, I dont think she is the same as KJW’s mom. She’s the worse for me. KJH’s mom is impulsive when it comes to her emotions and traditional to a fault. I am just happy that she redeemed herself in the end.

When KJH said that all they needed was time. I believed him. If not only for CSH’s own demons she would have been persuaded by KJH. Being KJS’s mom, i know he has some tricks up his sleeve to convince his mother. Which I believe he did in epi 16.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

@bebebisous33

i agree. Thats one form of manipulation from KJH’s mom has always been through food. She might not be aware that she is manipulating, but she is. The old minx. However, I dont think she is the same as KJW’s mom. She’s the worse for me. KJH’s mom is impulsive when it comes to her emotions and traditional to a fault. I am just happy that she redeemed herself in the end.

When KJH said that all they needed was time. I believed him. If not only for CSH’s own demons she would have been persuaded by KJH. Being KJS’s mom, i know he has some tricks up his sleeve to convince his mother. Which I believe he did in epi 16.

@dukesa1122 what i learn from this is do not ever to be like :

KJH's mom, KJW's mom neither CSH's mom in near and far future.

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

To conclude, the mother is as selfish as the other mothers in this drama.

Yup. Mothers' try your best not to be selfish. (Esp, me)

Thank you all.

Waah. This drama always makes my day,

Makes my heart flutters,

Makes me , learn more of facts of life, like the do's and dont's

And make me learn , lit, poem, poetry, pics, inter relation with life

Etc etc from many diff chingus residing all around the globe.

Well done me (pat my back) for finding this such amazing place and joining the forum this year.

Thanks to the founder of soompi too, to make (create), this a place of gathering of all the marvellous chingus here.

Happy new year to chingus celebrate this date, today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi chingus,

Anyone with the time, please could you leave a starred review on the Chinese movie and telly reviews site - https://m.douban.com/movie/subject/30267930/

You’ll need to register first though with a mobile. There is a list of countries which douban accepts. 

Let’s increase Encounter’s rating and positive reviews on the site.  Encounter, hwaiting!

P.S.  There is also a reviews section on google where you can post a comment - https://g.co/kgs/KoqLhs

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dahae2006 said:

Anyway we should give positive comments for those who has not watched the drama

Yup positive comments.

Always try and strive to be positive.

@dahae2006 yes, go for it! You can DO it, we can do it, too.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

To conclude, the use of cellphone in this drama reflects the evolution of our modern society. However, there is this common critic that cellphone and Internet contribute to the isolation of people and lack of interaction and communication among people. Strangely, the drama showed the positive side of the cellphone.

I always think, cellphone and internet are parallels to knife.

They can be good and bad, at the same time.

But, i like the part , you mention, the drama showed the positive side.

Coz, i love to stay and be on positive side. Though the reality of life can be cruel and made you, on both sides.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

^ I am still in my late 20's but I am already tired of the gruesome news I see daily in the world that I prefer dramas without violence. 

But to be honest I initially supported this drama Encounter because I liked both SHK and PBG but I did not expect their chemistry would be over the top and I will become this hooked and could not move on from the drama. :lol:

Cutest: :wub:

• Like 4
  • Love 11

I just finished the last episode not Long ago. And while I love the analysis here, I also want to share how simple the show is, in showing love at its simplest and most poignant. 

Love can be as simple as how KJH shows. It need not be complicated display. Neither has it to be sacrificial. Like what the ex did. When two people are in love, and when you know that, then you never let go. And that’s what KJH did. Which I think it’s the most beautiful aspect I’d love.  Never to let go. The ex thinks otherwise. He thinks to love CSH, he has to let her go. What many people don’t realise is, to give support and stay by your lover’s side is one of the strongest show of love. And not to think, “ok if breaking up makes you happy, I’ll respect your decision”. So many times KJH went against CSH’s wish during the breakup, just so that he can be there for her. If this isn’t love, what is?

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

That article about boyfriend receiving love from middle-aged viewers is so correct. Sh and Jh can be considered in this group. Only viewers with wider range of experience and knowledge of this world can truly appreciate the drama. 

To someone like me who prefer crime and investigation theme, never thought would be so attached to boyfriend. But boyfriend is more mind-boggling and investigative. I have to be attentive to every detail and even need to rewatch several times to understand it better. If a viewer just watched ep 1, for the sake of watching it, then she/he will be at lost till ep 16.

Its been 15 years since my first kdrama but they are just come and go for me. If i missed 1 ep, im fine. Unlike this one that i can't distinguish what is a normal and not normal life since it  first aired. 

Nowi i can say that the director is correct when he said  it will not provoke the audience , Though i became restless and had heartache since the end  of ep 13 onwards.. Anger is expressed in a composed and poised manner, no shouting  to one's lungs content Except to the  brawl involving JM, which clearly implies thats what his age group will do when provoked. But for those in our age, problems can be solve through right words and not violence.

Those who can't get over with boyfriend in a negative way

Spoiler

I can give some respect to their opinion if only they are not dragging any name, any drama with it. But they are so obvious. We are all entitled to our own opinion and we can't please everyone and we have our own preferences. But they are not being logical but only being envy.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Encounter: the symbol of Cha Soo Hyun’s love

image-5.png?w=545

After reading the definition of “encounter”, 

adj.

1. unexpectedly be faced with or experience (something hostile or difficult).”we have encountered one small problem” 
  2. meet (someone) unexpectedly.”what do we know about the people we encounter in our daily lives?”synonymes : meet by chance, run into etc
  3. noun: an unexpected or casual meeting with someone or something.”she felt totally unnerved by the encounter”

you come to realize the ambiguity of the title “Encounter”. Moreover, it also reveals why JWS can never become a part of CSH’s life.

If we take the first definition (facing some difficulty and hostility), it is referring to the adversities that CSH and JH have already faced and will face together. So far, CSH had to deal with a few bad experiences:

• the article and picture about a possible romance which forced to hear bad comments from her ex-mother-in-law and mother
  • the anonymous message on the bulletin board;
  • the gossiping
  • the terrible question from the reporter
  • the terrible comments from her own mother
  • the incident with the contract (Hotel in Cuba)
  • the arrival of Jung Woo Suk as second CEO (episode 12)
  • her meeting with KJH’s mother (episode 13-14)

The same happened to JH:

• the gossiping and the weird gazes from his co-workers (episode 5, 9)
  • the harsh words from chairman Kim (episode 6)
  • the harsh words from secretary Jang (episode 6)
  • his meeting with director Choi (episode 7)
  • his demotion to Sokcho
  • his meeting with JWS (episode 11-12) which made our hero feel insecure

But now let us focus on the second meaning of encounter. It implies an unexpected meeting and if we look back at the different events between CSH and JH, we will notice that they had a lot of unexpected meetings:

– Cuba :

1.  The accident with the taxi. If JH hadn’t been asked to change the seat, CSH would have never noticed him.
  2. The taxi was supposed to bring her to that place in order to watch the sunset but it broke down. She had to take the ferry… by walking on the street, she caught JH’s attention which led him to follow her.
  3. She almost fell from the wall therefore JH had to intervene. I doubt that he would have approached her without her mistake.
  4. At the airport.

Striking is that they missed each other at the café the next morning. And this was not an encounter but a planned meeting (rendez-vous).

– South Korea:

1. He becomes her employee.
  2. After reading his letter, she wants to visit the playground he had mentioned to her before. But she is caught there red-handed which triggers JH to invite her to look at the pictures from Cuba.
  3. JH is drunk and CSH sees him standing all sleeping. She decides to bring him home.
  4. When he followed Jang to Seokcho, this meeting was not planned by JH nor CSH. Our heroine was surprised to find him there. But even if we consider it as a planned meeting, there was a casual meeting in all this, especially if we compare it with JWS.  CSH was not at the hotel, when JWS and JH arrived at the hotel. JWS kept waiting and missed her. The opposite happened with JH. CSH  was walking around, until she saw him. They could have missed each other like JWS but it didn’t happen.
  5. After arriving home, JH listened to radio and the message of a listener which made him realize that the listener was CSH. They met “through the radio”.
  6. Then we have got the car accident. If she hadn’t been involved in that accident, she wouldn’t have received her birthday gift from JH and even become closer to him.
  7. CSH saw JH a little depressed at the café as she was on her way to a meeting. She changed her plan in order to cheer him up.
  8. Then at the end of the episode 5, they meet in front of that painting. JH wasn’t expecting to see her there too.
  9. In the episode 6, she goes to teacher Lee’s place, although she is not even sure that KJH will be there as she had told him that she wouldn’t come.
  10. He runs to her house as he is depressed. He needs to be close to her house in order to overcome the future separation. She catches him there.
  11. In the episode 8, Driver Nam picks him up so that he can be at the ball.
  12. Episode 9: She is able to meet him near the lighthouse, she could have missed him.
  13. Episode 10: KJH meets her at the café where he was supposed to meet her in the first episode. She finally reads his note and discovers the question he wanted to ask
  14. Episode 16: she is able to find him at the playground.

I could have mentioned more encounters between our protagonists. Nonetheless all these encounters had a huge impact on CSH and JH and their relationship. Because it was always unexpected, CSH couldn’t be like an ice princess. Her guard was down, besides she got sometimes caught red-handed, where she was unable to behave like a CEO. Furthermore, through these casual meetings, JH was able to see CSH in a different light. Only through encounters, KJH could break down her walls and her resistance. Then she was forced to do new things with him. It was refreshing for her and she could see how natural and simple their meetings were. The encounters in the later episode have a different function: she lets KJH enter her heart and mind completely.

However, in the beginning of my post, I wrote that the title gives us an explanation, why JWS can never be a part of CSH’s life. If you look back at all their meetings, JWS always tries to meet her. He needs to get an appointment. But if an encounter occurs, then either the one leads to create a misunderstanding and put JWS in a bad light or he is destined to witness how Kim Jin Hyuk gets closer to Cha Soo Hyun. The first case was, when he enters the shop in order to retrieve the ordered suit. He wants to impress a picky lady. Unfortunately, his ex-wife hears his words and thinks, he has another woman in his heart and mind. As for the second case, the fateful encounters are the following:

• episode 4: He witnesses KJH bringing CSH with the old truck. He witnesses how KJH’s present is accepted. On the hand, his gift (the expensive dress) is later rejected.
  • episode 6: He sees, how CSH puts the bought necktie to KJH
  • episode 9: the kiss at the ball
Spoiler

image-2.png?w=218

episode 6: this is what JWS sees

encounter-episode-9-jws-witness-kiss.png

This is his reaction, when he sees them kissing

CSH has never had any encounter with JWS:

1. The meeting at the restaurant before they got married.
  2. In the first episode, JWS meets her at his mother’s birthday. JWS knew that CSH had to appear there.
  3. In the episode 3, she wants to meet JWS in order to protect JH. JWS is waiting for CSH at the bar.
  4. He drove to Seokcho in order to meet her but he missed her and when he had an encounter with her, she was with JH coming back from the beach.
  5. He meets her again at a restaurant in order to resolve the problem. 
  6. The press conference (episode 6): he received an invitation.
  7. He couldn’t find her at the ball despite knowing how she was dressed. (episode 8)
  8. Then in the next episode, he asks her to go a restaurant where he proposes to her again.
  9. In the episode 10, he wants to meet her at the sky lounge but she refuses for the first time to follow his request.

JWS represents the exact opposite of “encounter”/JH. Every meeting he has is organized, even with JH. Let just take the episode 6. He wanted to help CSH but also see if JH was the one who received the necktie. That’s the exact reason why CSH can not fall in love with him. JH is natural and simple, whereas JWS is sophisticated and artificial. We shouldn’t forget that CSH doesn’t come from the same world than JWS. She only entered it, when she was young… like her friend and secretary said, she used to be different in the past: more natural and carefree. Through the different encounters, the viewers realize that human beings are powerless since time and nature are the real forces. Cha Soo Hyun was destined to meet Kim Jin Huyk and Jung Woo Suk couldn’t stop it as money means nothing to time and nature. He could never win over them. When the time was right, her path crossed his and this time, she could notice him, unlike in the past.

encounter-episode-5-ending-csh-and-kjh.p

The episode 5 shows that they missed each other in the past. They were not ready.

This is an updated version. Let me know what you think.

@dukesa1122@luv_jinsoo @stardustvoid@jl08@celebrianna@xu_lyfe@dreaminsince1998@thistle@Yongzura@roshzanna@lolipop86gorgeous@nikir@shyguitar @thadora @NongpeeP @rosiepeonie188 @twtwb @Tasia  @avondale16 @beejoy111

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for tagging me, @bebebisous33 I agree with everything you said. No wonder its English title is “Encounter” You can tell that the production staff is really paying close attention to details.

I feel like I’m running out of thoughts to contribute to this thread, lol. Thank you to those who tirelessly keep this thread alive. I miss the chaos that ensues whenever a new episode comes out. I wonder when we’ll feel that high again?

Waiting for some good news as I continue to lurk

• Like 9
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, roshzanna said:

boyfriend is more mind-boggling and investigative. I have to be attentive to every detail and even need to rewatch several times to understand it better. 

Tell me about it chingu. :sweatingbullets: I watch the episodes while its being aired and then rewatch both on Friday and then watch epi 1 to the latest episodes on weekend and I still miss out details. Thanks to the people here, everything is very clear in this drama.

@bebebisous33

Reading your post about encounter made me remember about a comment that I read from dramabeans. Some took it as a negative from this drama. They said there were too much “encounters” and that they’re keeping track of it and “one more accidental encounter and they’ll drop the drama”. 3 episodes after, there they are still commenting. Lol As you said, their encounters was the key for JH to break CSH walls. If it were all planned, I doubt CSH can open up to him like that. As what csh said, their relationship was a miracle for her. It made everything so magical.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

My lil sister kept asking me if this drama is good (she’s 22) and I somehow become defensive without realizing it. My first answer was, “it is a melodrama so dont expect it to be romcom. If you’re up for slow paced, very detailed drama/romance, go for this drama”. I dont know why but I just dont want her to camp against me knowing that she’s just 22 and barely starting her life lol :lol:

Weeks have passed and i still refuse to watch another drama. I tried and failed numerous times. My mind just keeps going back to when JinSoo started holding hands, started hugging, the bickering. :sweatingbullets: I miss JinSoo

• Like 8
  • Love 7