[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Post Encounter Interview By Park Bo Gum : Monday 28 Jan 2019

Credit: rynn_peace

My dating style in real life? Like JinHyuk I wont hold back to show my feeling"

About his character:

"At first, I accepted the script until ep4. Although KimJinHyuk char is like DonQuixote, he doesnt act recklessness but showing perseverance & confidence inside. He is special person who loves people around him and a friend who helps others a lot."

A person who seems dont have hardship or burden. I want to show Jinhyuk's love expression. But somehow he's a bit clumsy.

Jinhyuk often display 'I like u' 'I came cause I miss u' actively. If there's person that I love, I'll often show it too but it can be burden for that person.

I and Jinhyuk styles are bit different. I wont hold back in expressing my feeling like Jinhyuk but when I show my feeling I will consider the feeling of the opposite person.

Jinhyuk's like green grapes. Among fruits, green grapes is fresh & sweet but theres little bit bitter taste. I thought bout how to show it through acting for a long time. I went to Cuba then tried acting with senior SongHyeKyo finally I could figure it out

About his long hairstyle became hot topic

"I feel shy. I didnt know that many people gave attention to my hair. There are parts when I acted with my long hair but its difficult to manage my hair. I also thought it wouldnt be suitable with Jinhyuk."

Eventhough there is like and dislike, I didnt feeling regret about rating"

What I said at presscon is my true feeling. I'm not attached to the number. I'm satisfied enough if people can watch this drama comfortably on weekday. But still I'm grateful for the rating and I think its good enough. Many people enjoyed this drama so I didnt feeling regret.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

87drcd125un9.gifh707iprql12e.gif

c as labeled

Adding

Park Bo Gum Says He Often Got Emotional While Acting With Song Hye Kyo In âEncounterâ

Park Bo Gum Says He Often Got Emotional While Acting With Song Hye Kyo In “Encounter”

Jan 28, 2019
by R. Jun

In an interview with YTN on January 28, “Encounter” star Park Bo Gum revealed how it felt to act alongside actress Song Hye Kyo.

“When I found out Song Hye Kyo was cast for the drama, I was amazed, and I started to hear Cha Soo Hyun’s lines in her voice,” said Park Bo Gum. He added that Song Hye Kyo’s expert portrayal of her character allowed him to fully concentrate on his own acting, as well. “That was Song Hye Kyo’s strength.”

He often talked with Song Hye Kyo, and he asked a lot of questions about how he was doing. “I asked her a lot if I was doing well or if I was doing a good job expressing my character. Doing emotional scenes with Song Hye Kyo, there were a lot of moments when I would find myself just tearing up. It was a good experience for me.”

Spoiler

park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo-2-540x255.jpg

“Encounter” is a love story between Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo), who has never had the chance to life live according to her own choices, and Kim Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum), a free-spirited, pure soul. The drama aired its final episode on January 24.

Soompi

Spoiler

• Like 9
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

My three cents....

What a lovely melodrama! Kudos to the cast and crew, the director, writers, they all did an excellent job. 

The last two episodes were a little intense. Some people complained that the breakup came too late in the drama and was creating a little unnecessary anxiety, but like @bebebisous33 said, it was the timing that framed the breakup. However, I did not feel our OTP needed time, it was more like everyone else. JH's mother needed time to reflect on how her decision to ask SH to break up wasn't based on her son's safety or peace at all, but rather her own made up fears and insecurity. WS needed time to realize that his behind-the-scenes way to protecting SH wasn't really what she needed. Her parents needed time to realize that they couldn't keep putting their ambitions before their daughter and making her carry the burden of it. I like how SH told JH's mom that if it was just about what she said, she would have shown up everyday to beg for her to change her mind. SH got hit with that, plus her dad's decision to not run, plus her father's decision to tell the prosecutor's about the slush fund, plus all of the mess at work with TG all at the same time. 

She was aware of what all that came with. The press, the whispers, etc. Yes, it hurt like hell to see them in pain not being together, but it wasn't the right time for her to be walking around hand in hand in love as if all of this turmoil wasn't going on around her. They took a little break and once a little time passed, and all of the other people came around, Hye In included. Then it felt right for them to be together. What struck me about HI's confession to JH was how unaffected he seemed to be. He appreciated her being honest and coming clean, probably because it was past tense. At that point, it was almost unnecessary for her to confess. JH didn't remember the red diary and for the most part, he just listened and compared it to his own brooding feelings over his love.

I was more disappointed by the fact that his father had to go to jail for something his wife did. He had been a clean politician who truly wanted the best for his party and because of his spouse's stupidity and greed they ended up being at a disadvantage to TG. I love how Chairman Kim was butt hurt that she had to let SH go and to a son of a fruit vendor. Somehow, I don't think if JH was a chaebol, she would've felt any better. I think what hurt her pride the most was that she needed SH. SH brought positive attention and interest on their family and business. Without her, no one cared. The press wasn't lined up to take pictures of her son when he was on dates with the other woman. They were not even in attendance when he became co-CEO of the hotel. Without SH, there was generally no interest in their company. Chairman Kim could only buy interest, whereas SH couldn't even go on a ramen date at a rest stop without making the news. She will have plenty of time to reflect on her inferiority complex in jail.

In all, I really enjoyed watching this drama with all of you here on this forum. There were so many thoughtful and insightful posts and I look forward to future views with my boyfriend chingus! :relaxed:

• Like 11
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 5

17 hours ago, stroppyse said:

However, even JH is shown as being able to change his mind, albeit not in his love and regard for SH, but trying to figure out what the best thing to do for everyone is in terms of breaking up with SH. He objects, then he concedes, and then he rethinks it and decides to oppose it but by waiting and not trying to force any issues.

SH, herself, goes from being emotionally distant to becoming emotionally engaged, but the emotional engagement brings a lot of fears with it. SH is also unwavering in her love and regard for JH, and yet, she keeps deciding to step away from him, thinking to protect him in some way from the pains that she had undergone.

Of course, there are major differences between SH being put into that world of cynosure and JH accepting it as part of the cost of being with SH. SH was a child when it was imposed upon her, and thereafter groomed to be the obedient child. She was also never certain of her parents' support. Even though her father is seen as being supportive through the length of this drama, even he admits that he had pursued his political career, and thus didn't really have time to pay attention to SH's needs.

JH, however, is a fully grown adult who has grown up without ever doubting the love and support of his parents. And actually, they indicate that JH had to mature rather quickly to help out around the house while both of his parents work, but he never became a lost child, roaming wild without supervision. Rather, even as a child, JH took responsibility for himself and his little brother.

So, SH and JH in their respective watching out for each other makes some assumptions and errors, but then they change course and find their way back to each other again.

Some more thoughts about the final episode.

The supporting characters didn't get much time, but I thought what was there was actually very cute and not overly aggressive in terms of happy endings for the various non-OTP couples. Sometimes, it doesn't need a big bow tie over everything to get a sense that things are going along just fine.

It means that there wasn't much makjang, not even as much as we had anticipated, but I'm okay with that. I rather like the thought of this world continuing on with the various people living out their lives in a somewhat normal world without blood and madness and endless backstabbing. :)

@stroppyse

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I appreciated all of your observations and made me rewatch ep16 and found the other characters than OTP as you mentioned and OTP as you mentioned indeed.

The scene between Ex-husband and his mom is so “Chaebol”, the writer shown a human's bad treatment from just the root cause of dislike. 

Audiences who like Encounter/ Boyfriend’s positive and encouraging mood and tone from ep1 to ep16 are lucky to have a chance to watch this vibe with true commitment by the writer, PD, and Casts&Crews, without sway by any pressure from external factors including other dramas' fierce trend.

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The bride

After meeting KJH's mother, it becomes clear that CSH will choose to break up with him. She has many reasons for this decision. First, we have to imagine that she suffered a lot in her first marriage due to the mental abuse from her mother-in-law. So when she met YJ, the words from the latter clearly showed that she wouldn't accept her as future daughter-in-law. So I doubt that anyone who suffered abuse from a mother-in-law would be ready to go through the same experience again. Secondly, KJH kept pressuring her to marry him. He had noticed her unhappiness, when she saw the couple in wedding clothes. He offered her the bouquet but she never gave an answer... he had to ask over and over again, until she accepted his proposal. Her hesitation is quite understandable. She associates marriage to unhappiness. When she saw the wedding dress, she was reminded of her unhappy marriage which left a huge scar in CSH's heart. CSH was not only scarred by her mother-in-law but by her marriage as such.

@bebebisous33

You point reminded of KJH’s unintentional pressure about potential marriage which he might wanna show his genuine sincerity as her boyfriend with future plan in mind and KJH’s mom’s objection which might rouse CSH’s fear and bad past experience. 

This might lead to reasonable time span of next 1 year before KJH simply proposed for marriage with CSH, not too rush as in ep.13, 

after

- he has had a much closer relationship with CSH during time jump of 1 year to warm up CSH to be ready for being a bride;

- he let his family esp. mom have been familiar with CSH by having a meal with them very often till his mom called CSH as his girlfriend, not CEO anymore ;and

- he visited CSH’s father to talk and let CSH’s father see how he is and how his promise is to be by CSH’s side, CSH’s dad called Jin Hyukki to show his positive feeling. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Hi guys!!! It's been almost a week since the last episode and I am missing the thrill and excitement that I felt during the past few weeks. By the way, does any one know any fanfiction on this drama? I am craving to read something about their married life and what happens next. Please please if you happen to know a link, pleaase share it with me. Thank you in advance. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Whats wrong with the way he yawns? :huh:

I find it cute and authentic. 

It reminded me of a stolen shot of SHK while filming Cuba 

cant imagine people criticizing  how they yawn ! :joy:
Spoiler

I feel you! There’s nothing wrong with the way he yawns. It’s the impossible “standards” of the K-ent that’s wrong. :crazy:

@shyguitar I know, it’s Tuesday now and normally I’d be super excited for Wednesday but now...nothing. :tears:

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Her hesitation is quite understandable. She associates marriage to unhappiness. When she saw the wedding dress, she was reminded of her unhappy marriage which left a huge scar in CSH's heart. CSH was not only scarred by her mother-in-law but by her marriage as such. Don't forget that until she finally met SA, she really thought that her husband had fallen in love wit

Hi, sorry to cut your post, I agree with you everything about Soo Ah and the part that she gave the painting to CSH is to wish her happy; however I don’t think CSH is afraid of marriage that she was hesitated when KJH asking her.

CSH hesitates because she is not confident in herself; she thinks she doesn’t deserve JH. 

When JH taking wedding pictures for the ads; CSH was looking at the bride and remembering the time JH and she laying on the bed: she wants to be with JH for the rest of her life ( sleeping next to each other everyday sounds nice to her!!) but it also reminded her that she was once married and the marriage/ divorce has become the unerasable scars for her. 

When JH asked her why did she keep ignoring his request; she then  told him about her concern, her insecurities and her lack of confidence, ( she thought maybe she is dreaming too much) and once JH assured her that: CSH is now still the same as CSH he first met in Cuba, the one he is interested at the first moment ( wondering  if she has boyfriend, ) then we can the couples promise to make it work till the end.

I think CSH is not a perfect character; she has flaws and her major flaws is lacking of confidence; caring too much about other than herself; worries too much about how other think and her dad have to ask her : “can you live with that thought for the rest of your life”

i think it was her dad that gives her some courage and the shoes was final trigger for her to run back to JH.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, xu_lyfe said:

and the shoes was final trigger for her to run back to JH.

I can’t forget CSH’s face when she saw the shoes. It was saying so many things!! I was like, “youre not playing fair JinHyuk but Run girl! Go to your man!”

@stardustvoid

can anyone tell me how to properly yawn??? Hahahaha

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Park Bo Gum Says He Often Got Emotional While Acting With Song Hye Kyo In âEncounterâ

Park Bo Gum Says He Often Got Emotional While Acting With Song Hye Kyo In “Encounter”

Jan 29, 2019
by R. Jun

In an interview with YTN on January 28, “Encounter” star Park Bo Gum revealed how it felt to act alongside actress Song Hye Kyo.

“When I found out Song Hye Kyo was cast for the drama, I was amazed, and I started to hear Cha Soo Hyun’s lines in her voice,” said Park Bo Gum. He added that Song Hye Kyo’s expert portrayal of her character allowed him to fully concentrate on his own acting, as well. “That was Song Hye Kyo’s strength.”

He often talked with Song Hye Kyo, and he asked a lot of questions about how he was doing. “I asked her a lot if I was doing well or if I was doing a good job expressing my character. Doing emotional scenes with Song Hye Kyo, there were a lot of moments when I would find myself just tearing up. It was a good experience for me.”

park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo-2-540x255.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1299920wpp/park-bo-gum-says-often-got-emotional-acting-song-hye-kyo-encounter

@dukesa1122 @stardustvoid

Spoiler

Allow me to rant and will revert to my 'striving to be Bo Gum mode'. But isn't that "yawn acting controversy" nitpicking? I didn't know whether to laugh or to be pissed (After reading Bo Gum's response, I chose the former:D. He will just open his mouth more next time! Such sense of humor!) After all there is not one right way to yawn. We can yawn with our signature style. Bo Gum has been refined so I am not surprised at all that he yawned that way...refinely.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

@gumtaek

Spoiler

It’s definitely nitpicking. The very fact that there was a controversy over it goes to show how shallow the K-ent industry can be. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore

Glad he answered it that way as well as the other questionable questions that were thrown at him yesterday

Ah, I miss my Jinsoo. I wonder when I can see them in a single frame again.

@dukesa1122  LOL, in SK apparently you have to open your mouth reaaaaaaaaaally wide!  

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Bogum/JH yawning:

Isn't  it what everyone does when you like to yawn but trying to stop it because someone might be watching you or it is not proper to yawn at that place? 

I thought all the while its part of the script or what the director told him to do so. Since he is driving, other motorists might see him or a police patrol is somewhere out there, he maybe reprimanded for driving while being sleepy. So he 's concealing his yawn.

@Jemrie can i make a request? Can you make a gif of that scene at the mural village, i think its before or after the 2 children passed between them? When Jh wipes or touch SH chin, just find it sweet.( sorry if u have already made one, i may just missed it)

So glad both PBG and SHK are not affected by ratings. Good drama is not always synonymous with high rating. Its true everywhere in the world.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1