Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Just now, vvpal said:

I totally agree the cafe will play a part. And if I may add:

SH goes to Cuba as planned, determined to break up with JH.  JH goes to Cuba in pursuit, determined to change her mind. Ex-husband goes to Cuba with expectations that he can now win SH because she has broken up with JH.

Final scene, SH and JH back on El Malecon beach, watching the sunset, kissed (3 minutes on our screen). 

I like your rendition but I’ll take away ex-Husband part so that we can extend kiss scene at El Malecon beach from 3 minutes to 15 mins.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I do want to add more abt this episode but am completely drained... thanks to the ending n preview my mood is much better... will continue more trow.

Happy dreams tonight abt our Jinsoo couple.. :wub:

• Like 7

Thanks for the recaps everyone. It was excellent.

I am going to avoid the spoilers for ep 16. Wait for the episode to be uploaded then do 2 episodes at once. Discovered that I can get through break up episodes better this way. No wait or suspense about waiting.

You can look at it 2 ways. We had 14 episodes of OTP together. And hoping the separation is short. Because it doesn't work well in other dramas if the break up is done ep 12 then 4 more episodes. Or ep 13 then separate 2 ep then trying to fill 2 ep of happy OTPs. Most writers seem to mess that up and don't use the time wisely.

JH's mum? I am not angry with her per se. I don't particularly care about her as a plot device. The problem is that I have seen so many real life mothers who have or can cause or ask for break up for their child. And lived with it. They didn't have remorse. It must be a special " gift " some people have. To ignore or choose to ignore pain even though they caused it. They are in such a self righteous mood " I am doing it for his own good " that their belief can't be shaken. I am not justifying her behaviour. I am saying that the writer didn't write such a ridiculous character and unbelievable mother. I am grimacing as I recall all those Asian mothers I know. Ergh. They are a " special " breed I tell you.

But what I want is for her to SUFFER. Suffer and cry. Be in such pain. If the writer can make her pain WORSE than what SH and JH suffered I would be good.

I am a vindictive sort of person. Let her feel, let her know what heartbreak is. If she felt justified that this break up is for his future, let her feel what it feels like to lose a son her loved one. Just like he lost his loved one.

Hah. Can you tell I put a lot of thought into those interfering mothers in Kdramas? They are one of my peeve points and I have put a lot of thought into what I really want those mothers to feel.

PBG looks devastated in those stills. You know what? I have never seen him that sad before. Interesting or rather it is good his acting is so good.

As you can tell I have detached myself for 24 hrs until I can get to ep 16.

It is a 45C day tomorrow and last week of school hols.  That would be distraction enough.

I wonder how DC and JM will tie up their ending. And how come WS just retreated so calmly?

Also how are they going to fit Subway into all this? Its sorta not classy enough to fit into any of the hotel scenes you know. And I have tried Subway sandwiches. Been served it multiple times for catered sandwich lunches. There is nothing there that is suitable for any Kdrama moment except for a friend meet up. Since the delivery service is so good in SK and I so prefer sandwiches from Paris Baguette.

There was a screenshot in one of the posts where PBG looked mature. He always looks so youthful. I caught a glimpse of what he would looked like one day when he hits 40 or something. Man he looks good mature. Vs some other actors who don't age well. Gives me hope I will see him on screen for many more years to come.

Sorry guys I am not as wretched as you all. I will be wrecked later. Then hit myself with the last episode straight after for my happy ending. One must learn or have techniques to survive a Kdrama break up episode.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 3

6 minutes ago, nikir said:

I do want to add more abt this episode but am completely drained... thanks to the ending n preview my mood is much better... will continue more trow.

Happy dreams tonight abt our Jinsoo couple.. :wub:

Me too. Too drained, to write comment.

Ending lives up my heart, and so sad tom is the last episode.

Please let us, our heart flutters and thank you in advanced.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

@bubblechoco I think they kept the script right, they didn’t spend too much time on needless things and gave screen time to everyone. Like it made sense that WS would want to reach out to SH but there is character development since their last conversation, he respects the fact that he shouldn’t overstep. So no regression and positive growth.

SH’s mother realizing her mistakes but very realistically done, no immediate hugs and words of love between mother and daughter. The entire exchange didn’t insult the viewers intelligence, things aren’t hunky dory but there is progress here.

JH seeking out the old widow because she is the only one he can speak to, it was interesting to note that the widow didn’t tell him about her and SH’s conversation. It shows she knows more about JH’s personality than his mother, I think if she felt any real doubt that JH wouldn’t be able to overcome this trial she would have told him despite breaking her promise to SH. 

JH’s dad reprimanding his wife but not betraying her by telling JH, he has an honorable personality and one could see how disappointed he was with her.Driver Nam holding a mirror to SH, telling her to be brave. Sec Jang and JM continue to be good supportive positive characters to the lead couple.

JH’s mother being troublesome made a lot of sense, though it wasn’t pleasant at all. If SH gets her love for paintings from her mom, I guess JH gets his stubbornness from his mom. <_< It wouldn’t do for her to take such a drastic step of confronting SH only to be normal in one episode. His mom has decades old biases that she is battling, I only wish they had shown this an episode or two earlier.

Slightly worried how they’re going to tie it all up into a tidy bow in a 60 minute episode.:huh:

Thanks buddy! Finally got my question solved!

To me, most importantly, they didn't insult the viewers' intelligence (I can endure plots that I don't like, but this is my bottom line)

I thought Teacher Lee is going to tell Jinhyuk (Didn't know she promised Soohyun - Yet to watch E14)

I have given up hope on Jinhyuk's mother, impossible to give out the green light all of a sudden in 1 episode
So how are they going to be together?

I think for now, marriage is out of the question, there's no way Soohyun will happily accept his proposal if she knows his mum is still strongly against it.

Please don't tell me, hence the title, "Boyfriend"
I'm going to stab someone -_-

• Like 7
  • LOL 7

Guest vvpal
13 minutes ago, luvhollandlop said:

I like your rendition but I’ll take away ex-Husband part so that we can extend kiss scene at El Malecon beach from 3 minutes to 15 mins.

I don't like it either, but he filmed in Cuba, so I had to fit him into the picture.  I'll trade 15 minutes of kissing for 3 minutes on El Malecon beach and 3 more minutes on the balcony/room at Hotel Havana.

Thank you for pic, recap, translation, and discussion.

(and also Thank you for the link)

I thought Encounter could make be in the early state of  bipolar disorder.

*** In the early minutes, KJH can pause CSH to ask for break up for a while from his camera case gift from his caring effort.

>> my heart was excited. 

*** In later minutes, when CSH told KJH that she has to let KJH go by breaking up. KJH showed his attempt to pull her back but she decided for him.

>> I was very sad to KJH to be in such collapsed state. 

*** Later, when KJH’s mom explained with no regret to KJH’s dad and KJH ran to meet CSH and beg her to come back but she can not.

>> I started to be very angry to mom for her action to dictate her son and to CSG for decideing for KJH as his mom’s request, regardless whether he can survive with this break up or not.

CSH, do you know the fact that Breaking up with CSH is much more torturing to KJH than facing obstacles from being with CSH.

I wanna see KJH rebel to disappear without clue/notice from these two women whom he loves the most in the world and he has been doing the best as a son and as a boyfriend to mom and CSH 

BUT both of them dictates his path of life by deciding for him to hurt cruelly.

I wanna let KJH teach these both women to behave better to treasure him properly. 

However, it might be as CSH mentioned why she likes him because Kim Jin Hyuk is Kim Jin Hyuk, he is one of a kind in this world.:phew: B)

KJH has still tried to be okay to let his parents relieve.

For CSH, he decides to pursue her with uttermost again as he has done from early episodes, how can I complain when KJH commit to CSH no matter what she did to him.

KJH might be born to love CSH. 

*** In the last minutes, KJH’s decision made me wanna raise the big flag with KJH&CSH picture wearing couple rings and wave hard to cheer him to win CSH back like I am cheering to the nation’s representatives to not give up and will win.

KJH might know his mom and CSH so well. 

For mom, she is very headstrong and stubborn so it might be useless to change her mind when she insists from head to toe like this, let imagine even his father who has known his mom much longer than him can not ask her reconsider.

Let mom take more time to see KJH sad and digest what is the choice mom really has. 

With CSH’s personality and life background, KJH has to be the diligent boyfriend for the rest of his life as he has been like this with CSH since they knew each other.

KJH can not surrender or be prestigious from CSH’s rejecting reaction.

CSH sometimes might suffocate from underestimating and blame herself from making KJH’s life and his family complicated.

She will hesitate, KJH has to insist and standstill.

CSH occasionally might reject him when she was down from external impacts or other people in their life.

He must try harder without discouragement to reject such break up request and acts as her boyfriend. 

She might be back to be an iceberg princess, let knock ice whenever her body looked icy with more caring and pester.

What KJH can do is chasing CSH like they has just known everyday. 

He has to be with full energy as her boyfriend to attempt to destroy walls in her heart willingly whenever she loves KJH with concerning too much for him and his family. 

CSH loves KJH very much too but CSH will be like this, what KJH can do is understanding and do the best to change her mind to normal state whenever she is down. He will need to be steady and calm to remain as CSH’s boyfriend. 

“Boyfriend” is the word to suit this drama indeed.

My spirit to cheer KJH&CSH together comes back and definitely KJH will be able to bring his “boyfriend” status back because KJH&CSH love each other.

In fact, break up requires mutual acts by two person, CSH alone can not do. 

Tomorrow I forecast to watch more cute scenes KJH attempts chasing CSH back without listening to CSH’s asking to break up,

let turn a deaf ear to CSH and  ask for full support from Mr.Nam, Secretary Jang, and whoever restless to the max.:wub:

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

The ex husband was seen filming in Cuba? So it is sure then that he will have scenes in Cuba tomorrow.

How I wish the ending would be JinSoo kissing at Malecon Beach or at the Garden in Cuba. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Just now, Cheryl295 said:

The ex husband was seen filming in Cuba? So it is sure then that he will have scenes in Cuba tomorrow. 

I still don’t know when this rumor started but the actor who plays her ex husband was only confirmed on the 25th of October and the shoot in Cuba was over by then. So I don’t think it’s true.

@utkim lots of kissing and at least two babies? Enough to start with?

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, nikir said:

Yes lot of loose ends to tie up..esp on the issues between JH n SH.. coz the way CSH broke up.. there will never be full trust till they get married..

All issues except JH mom n their love will be resolved pretty fast trow.. but how are they going to develop CSH personality in 1 hour.. she has to learn to let go of her fears. I guess this is why they are going for a time jump.. she will gradually  become confident n strong free over time thanks to JH impact n finally think abt herself

Yep to me, she has slammed the door real HARD this time and feels like there's no going back
Her expressions in the preview too T__T

23 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

Is a time jump really inevitable? :tears: I would’ve wanted this drama to show SH standing up for herself without the use of time jumps. That’s what they were building up during the beginning of this drama. That’s what made me love her as a character 

Maybe I just need to watch it with subs but  I’m really confused about the direction the writer is taking SH’s character right now :bawling:

MY. THOUGHTS. EXACTLY.
Buddy, let's *bear hug*
T__T

• Like 8

The angst in the drama gives credibility to the huge roadblocks the couple faces to defend and protect their love for each other. To play it down would trivialize the conflict they face. 

Spoiler

A few articles criticizing the drama point to a lack of tension as far as the antagonists of the drama are concerned, failing to see and understand that the aggression is not physical in nature but rather a psychological, mental and social one . 

I don't revel in the angst  but I appreciate it because it gives so much depth, substance, and genuineness to the love of Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk...something I observe is lacking in many romance KDramas. One aspect this drama excels in is the realistic exploration of the different stages of authentic romantic love....one that has solid footing from the very start and is built to last.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 8

Bring it on Kim Jin Hyuk! Fight for Love!  157.gif

nc2xBWy.gif

Spoiler

VZ1IiYz.gif

tiFAnQS.gif

Spoiler

wDAhk4l.gif

• Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I totally agree. 3 episodes back to back to back of angst is too draining. I’m a mess right now. I’m not really putting my hopes up too high for the finale but I know it’s gonna be a happy ending tho. 

Same here. My heart feels so heavy. I'm going to watch a variety with plenty of yummy food to warm my aching heart. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, htk9207 said:

@autumnight

I don't just need to see him smile, I would rather see him smile than cry his heart out. His sparkly smile cheer me up, whereas his crying wants me to curse the person who made him cry. 

As someone who usually watches variety shows and action/comedy genre, I find this episode overwhelming :vicx: Even the preview for this episode was too much :sweatingbullets: But the preview for tomorrow looks optimistic with JH opening up the window, letting the light comes through and a photo of a smiling SH. I'm pretty sure we're getting a happy ending. 

Spoiler

If you want to see Bogum's smiles, come on over to PBG's thread where we wonder every day why he hasn't done a toothpaste CF yet :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

@bubblechoco I think they kept the script right, they didn’t spend too much time on needless things and gave screen time to everyone. Like it made sense that WS would want to reach out to SH but there is character development since their last conversation, he respects the fact that he shouldn’t overstep. So no regression and positive growth.

SH’s mother realizing her mistakes but very realistically done, no immediate hugs and words of love between mother and daughter. The entire exchange didn’t insult the viewers intelligence, things aren’t hunky dory but there is progress here.

JH seeking out the old widow because she is the only one he can speak to, it was interesting to note that the widow didn’t tell him about her and SH’s conversation. It shows she knows more about JH’s personality than his mother, I think if she felt any real doubt that JH wouldn’t be able to overcome this trial she would have told him despite breaking her promise to SH. 

JH’s dad reprimanding his wife but not betraying her by telling JH, he has an honorable personality and one could see how disappointed he was with her.Driver Nam holding a mirror to SH, telling her to be brave. Sec Jang and JM continue to be good supportive positive characters to the lead couple.

JH’s mother being troublesome made a lot of sense, though it wasn’t pleasant at all. If SH gets her love for paintings from her mom, I guess JH gets his stubbornness from his mom. <_< It wouldn’t do for her to take such a drastic step of confronting SH only to be normal in one episode. His mom has decades old biases that she is battling, I only wish they had shown this an episode or two earlier.

Slightly worried how they’re going to tie it all up into a tidy bow in a 60 minute episode.:huh:

@ahdrianaa I totallly agree with you. I don´t know which emoji I should choose Thanks or In Love or Insightful! :D

• Like 5

Spoiler

happy ending, maybe that is their kids, hoping, this definitely lifts up my mood... their future together:wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

Go jinhyuk! Remain steadfast and prove to her that you’re there for the long haul. Remember, she loves you so much. You are the only person who can get her out of that shell. Love her even when it’s tough. Stay true to your promise that you will always be there for her. Remember, she needs you now more than ever. Love her in times of happiness, love her more in times of dispair. It takes a strong man to break through her walls, but don’t be swayed, you are also her kryptonite. Don’t let her be alone. Fight for her. 

Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!! So depressing

• Like 9
  • LOL 4

14 minutes ago, vvpal said:

I don't like it either, but he filmed in Cuba, so I had to fit him into the picture.  I'll trade 15 minutes of kissing for 3 minutes on El Malecon beach and 3 more minutes on the balcony/room at Hotel Havana.

Wow... u got my imagination running on full gear... 

Let’s be greedy and go big. I propose 3 mins kissing at El Malecon beach, 3 mins kissing at the balcony and 9 mins kissing (and more) in the room.

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

5 minutes ago, dianss23 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

happy ending, maybe that is their kids, hoping, this definitely lift up my mood... their future together:wub:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THANK YOU CHINGUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!:glasses:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote links, thanks! :)
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3