[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I just watched episode 15 and I find it dragging to the point that I wanted to stop watching it. How many times does SH have to explain to everyone that she’s doing it for JH. She has to explain it to everyone starting from episode 14. To Mi jin, the tea lady, to JH, driver nam, etc. I just had to go with the flow bec I already invested too much in watching this drama so I just have to watch it til the end. The actors are so good but the writer overdid it. 

For a minute, i wanted JH to go ahead with that resignation letter. He deserves some pride for himself. It’s his first love and he loved with all his heart to the point where he has given so much more than he can give. I want him to spare some pride and love for himself. But then of course, he has to do what he has to do. He has to be KJH, the persisitent and consistent KJH. So good luck! Really hoping for a good ending. Whooo I feel like I punished myself by watching that episode lol

• Like 11
  • LOL 2

Was able to watch a little bit "live" this morning although stream kept freezing. Felt myself tearing up watching JH tear up when SH told him: let's break up.  Beautiful acting--really could feel/see JH's pain. Ugh.  Speaking just for me, I watch kdrama for escape.  Don't require anguish to get happiness. 

And I really don't understand SH's desire to go to Cuba without JH.  Going back to the place where you've been deeply happy and in love, without your lover, makes no sense to me at all.  It's got to be filled with memories of him. Unless you're a masochist, why put yourself through that. That's just weird, writer-nim.

But the preview looks hopeful. Don't know if I can face watching the episode when I get home from work tonight.  But probably won't be able to stop myself. They are so beautiful. 

• Like 12

@utkim is such a nice chingu.... a shout to you, dear...hehe...

I hope what you wish for our Jinsoo couple will come true....

We'll focus on tomorrow's finale and look forward to our couple being reunited and hopefully getting married too...

Tonight's crying scenes are awesome.

Tomorrow's wedding scene will be even more awesome.

Let's look forward to their happiness...

And cheer PBG and SHK from us in this thread!

#Boyfriend fighting! #songhyekyo fighting! #parkbogum fighting!

:D

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I have not seen episode 15 yet; however, I did read the recap and I am so angry with JH's mom.  She isn't really thinking about JH, she is acting on her own personal biases.  I am peeved, I am pissed, :crazy: JH is hurting; SH is hurting and she has no remorse. 

I am still amazed, and I have been watching k-dramas for years, the first one was "Wide as the Earth, High as the Sky", I think it was that drama in which the mother made the son and daughter-in-law divorce because she did not get pregnant in the time frame she thought she should get pregnant.  All these years later, the dynamics still have not changed.   How do you arrange your lips to tell someone else to break-up with your child...and that is supposed to be love?  I am not Asian and do not fully understand the Asian culture; therefore, I do not pass judgement on the customs and practices, except on this issue.  When we have children, we nurture them, provide for them, protect them, and instill morals and values in them. Our job as parents are to prepare them to become productive and valued citizens in society,  loving spouses, and great parents.  Our job is not to guide (interfere in) their entire life from cradle to grave. Once they've reached adulthood,  the parents become a sounding board if needed, an adviser if necessary and a supporter.  Because, as parents, were blessed to have children, does not mean you meddle in their lives once they've become adults.  As JH's father said, JH's Umma  really does not know her son.  I do not think JH will ever look at his Umma the same.  Therefore, my question is was it worth it? Was breaking them up worth losing the love your son had for you?  A love where he smiles when he speaks to you on the phone, a love where he always thinks of you and worries about you...the only other person he loves as much as he loves you is SH.  JH's mother knows that both SH and JH are hurting, but it doesn't faze her, she has this delusional holier then thou, I know what is best attitude.   What she should do is to go to SH and tell her, "I was wrong." "JH loves you enough to weather any storm; therefore, do not break up I will support you." 

Please excuse any misspellings or grammatical errors, I am so peeved at this episode that I will wait until the weekend to watch it, after episode 16 is subbed.  If I find out that they did not get back together, I will skip both episodes. 

• Like 14
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't wait to watch this drama with subs.  All I can say from the little bit I've seen is the mother needs to watch, "Finding Nemo".  The mother said she knew she ripped out the CEO's heart....what about the fact that she's also ripped out her own son's heart.  It doesn't matter who you're with, all relationships are going to have problems; you can't protect your kids from hurt when it comes to love.

Can't help it, I still think the mother is extremely childlike.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

I have just finished watching Encounter ep.15 with Eng subtitle.

It is really surprised that I enjoyed this episode till I watched the whole episode in one go without any pause as in some episode.

Regardless that we wanna watch KJH&CSH be happy togerher, the scriptwriter has flowed the story for each character so reasonable from each of them’s perspective, KJH’s mom, KJH, and CSH do the right thing upon the background in each life.  

The reasonable script and amazing acting to portray at a certain level to make audiences receive all messages and emotions.

Unbelievably, I have never enjoyed dramatic vibe but this acting project as Encounter can make me very pleasant.

Casts&Crews made this masterpiece to the stage of no regret even a single second and deliver this drama excellently. 

KJH by PBG can carry emotions deliver to touch audiences’ heart. I cried with him when he ran to CSH’s office after knowing about mom. 

His almost unable to breathe is very realistic to KJH’s condition. 

CSH by SHK makes audiences feel what is very hard to understand. 

Fans must be very proud to watch PBG&SHKbcan do these difficult scenes seamlessly.

- KJH’s mom has done for her beloved son’s future to be peaceful as she thought it would be the best for him, time can cure. 

KJH heard his mom’s perspective with understanding. 

KJH’s mom: 

“ I did that because I knew Jin Hyuk would never give up. He never looks back once he makes a decision. I don’t regret it. Once time passes, it’ll all quiet down. 

Jin Hyuk may be suffering right now, but he’ll forget about everything with time.

Once he gets married and has kids of his own, his memories of this moment will become vague. 

I just want to live a normal life like we’ve always had thus far. 

Although we weren’t always abundant with food or money, we 

were always able to live with a smile on our faces.

Do you think I don’t know that Ms.Cha is also hurting right now? 

I’ll get punish for breaking her heart but I can’t let Jin Hyuk get hurt”

KJH’s dad:

”Back when we didn’t have enough money to start a store. I had to go to the fruit market and you had to wake up at dawn to open the street stall. And although Jin Hyuk was only seven years old, he helped us out by taking care of his little brother at the break of dawn. Jin Hyuk withstood all those hard times for us. How could you not do the same when you’re his parent? 

- KJH understand CSH so well when he explained to Teacher Cha that being in relationship with KJH made CSH guilty to ruin KJH whom mom loves with hope of normal life. 

KJH knew CSH suffers from breaking up with him till CSH planned to move to Cuba for a big while to cure. This almost made him give up when he saw her miserable. 

KJH: 

“It’s what I was determined to do, but she ended up persuading me. 

I thought that I had brought her out from a tall and deep castle.

Judging by what she said though, it was as if I had locked her up in another castle. A castle of guilt.

She thinks she was causing pain to everyone around her. That’s the guilt she felt. So being locked up by that kind of guilt would make our love meaningless. That’s why I’m going to let her go”

- For CSH, it is heartfelt when she mentioned KJH’s mom’s tanerine syrup symbolized KJH as valuable son to his mom.

CSH:

”Your mom made me tangerine syrup. It was so simple and pretty. It was something nobody could buy with money. How can I break something so precious?

I can’t do that, Jin Hyuk

That ‘s how chaotic our family is. 

Do you really think that simple and pretty tangerine syrup suits me?

I can’t let you or people who are precious to you slowly get exhausted because of me. 

I think that would be more painful than not being able to see you.” 

How the writer created this splendid script with reasonable perspectives, each character has his/her background of thoughts and each of them choose to do for another with love and care from the bottom of heart, not for himself/herself. 

How actors/actresses portray this gorgeous to make audiences amaze?!?!

I swear several times during watching because of superb features appearing in front of my eyes on screen.

• Like 11
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

I understand SH

This was the calm before the storm. She HAD to breakup with JH, especially after his mother cried that she was scared about their relationship disrupting their family.

SH knew her father was going to announce he wasn't running for president.

She knew that her family was making a clean break from Taeyeoung Group.

She knew that Taeyeoung Group would try and sue her and the hotel.

She knew that the press would be following them around viciously due to all of this.

All of that plus knowing how his mother felt, she had to let him go (even for a little while) so that he wouldn't be completely caught up in the media firestorm as well.

So, her actions albeit heartbreaking, are justified.

But, I'm sorry. JH's mother is CANCELLED! The fact that she doesn't have any remorse or regret is just TRASH!

The fact that she told his father that SHE wants him to have any ordinary life, as if whatever life he planned for himself is meaningless if she doesn't approve of it... I can't.

And, the fact that JH did not yell, scream, frown, cry or even sigh in front of his mother is yet another reason she is like that. She knows that he will bend to her will and what she wants, much like SH's mother was. She felt guilty about breaking them up, but not enough to say anything, apologize or have any regrets. 

Throw the whole mom away! :angry:

One more thing: I hate to say this, but when JH overheard his mother and left. Then came home, put the blanket over her and quietly went to his room. Then turned around the next morning, fake smiling and NOT saying anything. My stomach turned. He, for the first time, was acting like SH's ex-husband. He is fully aware of how his mother hurt her, and he did absolutely nothing. He said nothing. JH needs to know that it is okay for him to be his own man. That is the only way he and SH can be truly happy.

Edited by nubianlegalmind
  • Like 17
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

boyfriend.png

[Boyfriend] Ep 15 spoilers, Park Bo Gum x Song Hye Gyo

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Park Bo Gum receives Song Hye Gyo's break up notice, "Why are you abandoning me?"  

1. [+1594,-29]
Why are you abandoning me? That was so sad. ㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+903,-18]
Wow... Bo Gum's emotional acting.. His breathing.. The way he talks.. seriously.  ㅠㅠ  I teared up.. I really like that his acting is so deep. 

3. [+831,-18]
Those days were like a miracle... I hope they end it with a happy ending tomorrow. It was sad and difficult to watch Park Bo Gum tearing up. 'Boyfriend', fighting till the end. 

4. [+516,-16]
It would be good if Park Bo Gum is happy. 

5. [+202,-3]
Why are you abandoning me? ㅠㅠㅠㅠ I thought I was going crazy when Park Bo Gum cried. ㅠㅠㅠ Why is his acting so good? ㅠㅠ

6. [+193,-2]
When he bent down and cried, I wanted to hug him from behind and comfort him. 

7. [+168,-4]
Wow, their acting in the office. ㅠㅠ I could feel all of their emotions.. 

8. [+151,-0]
I can see why Jin Hyuk has to be Park Bo Gum~ I cried together with him without realizing. 

9. [+111,-3]
I cried while reading the article too. ㅠㅠ

boyfriend15.png

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' "Why are you abandoning me?" Park Bo Gum cries when Song Hye Gyo asks to break up  writes resignation letter 

1. [+1608,-34]
He asked why is she abandoning him. It felt like my heart was tearing apart... What do you mean by abandoning you? Who's abandoning you? ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+1210,-41]
My heart hurt when I saw Bo Gum crying... Even when they transitioned into another scene, I was still crying.... I pray that I'll be able to send the drama off while smiling tomorrow. 

3. [+1119,-31]
Why are you abandoning me? That's crazy. ㅠㅠ Park Bo Gum's acting is crazy. 

4. [+696,-23]
Their breakup doesn't make sense. There's no reason for them to do that. I'm only believing in Jin Hyuk and watching this!!!

5. [+304,-2]
Ah, from the part where Song Hye Gyo asked to break up, till the part where Park Bo Gum went to look for her and cried, his expressions, his eyes, all of them made my heart hurt. He really looked as if he's hurt. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ His acting is really good. 

6. [+262,-4]
Park Bo Gum enduring and trying to overcome his painful breakup today was like a symbol of youth. It's sad for Jin Hyuk, but Park Bo Gum's acting shines. 

7. [+215,-3]
Because of Park Bo Gum, I cried from the beginning till the end today. ㅠㅠㅠ My eyes were swollen. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Park Bo Gum's 'crying' acting is crazy. This drama is about Park Bo Gum's acting. 

8. [+190,-6]
I sobbed when Song Hye Gyo cried, but what's with Park Bo Gum? I cried loudly when he did. 

9. [+182,-2]
Wow. When he said, "why are you abandoning me?" My heart felt really heavy. Seriously, Park Bo Gum's acting is crazy. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, twtwb said:

Episode 15

I have just watched Episode 15 with subs, and I have nothing but appreciation and respect for the whole crew and cast members. 

It is another well-thought-out, well-executed and well-acted episode.

Despite a lot of challenges, the episode remains beautiful, sensitive, and thoughtful.

While a lot of fans might be displeased as they understandably wished for a quicker movement of the sad scenes so that they could see more happy scenes of the main couple, I appreciate that the episode stays loyal and consistent with the pace of the drama and does not feel rushed. 

While many viewers might be understandably disappointed at Soo Huyn for deciding to breaking up with Jin Huyk,  I feel the move to be totally realistic and expected. It is totally consistent with the background, perspective, hesitation, struggle and fear that the character has gone through.

While a lot of people might be understandably unhappy to witness Jin Huyk’s pain and sorrow, I appreciate that the episode takes time to describe his emotions (just like how episode 14 takes time to narrate Soo Huyn’s emotions), which in turn demonstrates the strength and the depth of his love, as well as his character and personality (look at how he treats his mother throughout the series, even after he discovered what and how she did behind his back with the love of his life, it says so much about Jin Huyk’s personality and explains so much how Soo Huyn thought that she should not force herself into his family to make everyone suffer).

As a result, the episode removes any doubts that one might have over Park Bo Gum’s acting ability (just like how episode 14 does a great job in showing Song Hye Kyo’s acting). 

And I’d just like to end this note by bringing us back to the very first teaser of the drama which indicates Jin Huyk’s as the source of bright and color for Soo Huyn’s grey world and reveals the couple’s smile facing each other after the biggest wave is gone.

I am sure that what will happen in the end. 

@twtwb

Thank you so much for beautiful comment which I am not capable to write by myself but you have completely done as my feeling.  

esp. Your part 

“While a lot of fans might be displeased as they understandably wished for a quicker movement of the sad scenes so that they could see more happy scenes of the main couple, I appreciate that the episode stays loyal and consistent with the pace of the drama and does not feel rushed.”

While a lot of people might be understandably unhappy to witness Jin Huyk’s pain and sorrow, I appreciate that the episode takes time to describe his emotions (just like how episode 14 takes time to narrate Soo Huyn’s emotions), which in turn demonstrates the strength and the depth of his love, as well as his character and personality (look at how he treats his mother throughout the series, even after he discovered what and how she did behind his back with the love of his life, it says so much about Jin Huyk’s personality and explains so much how Soo Huyn thought that she should not force herself into his family to make everyone suffer).

I used to complain why the last 3 episode must full of dramatic vibes but after I watched ep.15, I wanna run to apologize all casts and crews who stand with professional pride to create a masterpiece of acting project by no need to indulge audiences. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@twtwb @NongpeeP Thank you so much for your comments! I really feel the same but can't write as beautifully as you did.

Encounter is really a masterpiece for me. Cast and crew stay loyal to their plan and it's wonderful. The story is reasonable and beautifully told. Their acting is amazing! I really appreciate this drama so much! 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t help but roll my eyes at that article you shared @gigivillaceran

What’s wrong with that website? These actors worked their butts off to deliver an emotionally charged scene and all they can afford to do is write an article about how some found it hilarious? 

Spoiler

With those stupid memes to boot

I’m awake and woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

@dukesa1122 I just woke up and that’s the first thing I saw here

Spoiler

We’ve discussed this before but I hate how this drama has become a meme fodder to some

It’s insulting to both the cast and crew 

I’ll be needing a very, very satisfying reunion and strong bleach to cleanse my mind of what I just saw in that article. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1