[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

1 hour ago, selen4ever said:

The preview

E16 Preview Translations by bubblechoco:

Jinhyuk: You must be scared.
Jinhyuk: Don't cry for too long.

Miock (Soohyun's mother): (Should be referring to Congressman Cha here) Would be nice if he has eaten before he left.
Hyein: You are such a cool person. I'm rooting for your feelings.
Jinhyuk: I don't have the intent to disturb you.

Jinhyuk: I just want to drive you home at ease.
Jinhyuk: Please tell the CEO not to worry.
Jinhyuk: No matter what kind of news she receives. It's only a process.

=

I'm glad to have known you all although I've been here for just a few days. Please don't leave this thread right after the finale! Would love to spend more time together ^__^

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 9

19 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, this makes me think that JH will go ahead and resign his position and they will be apart for awhile, even if not an actual time jump since JH is asking someone to reassure SH that he's okay no matter what she may hear about him.

Between the possibility of this and the spoiler picture, I just want everything to be cohesive and tie up nicely 

Spoiler

This makes me wonder if we're ever going back to Cuba? Although I am finding less and less reason for it to be narratively significant. 

My last thoughts. Too many feels.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bubblechoco said:

I'm worried the writer has added too much stubbornness (i might be using the wrong word) in her character.

I think we've seen enough of CSH to know that it's not stubbornness but rather, too much consideration for others that shape her thinking and actions. Sec Jang has made the remark on a number of occasions. CSH, who knows how it's like to be scorned and gossiped at, is considerate not to put KJH and his family through the same situations and suffer similar agony. His mum can't take it, Just one incident with a neighbor and her imagination ran wild. Too wild. It could have been clarified by talking to her son.

I for one would love to see lots of lovey dovey scenes although I know that's not possible. I'm fine if the issue with KJH's mum was screen in maybe ep 12 and then she turns around in ep 14 and the last 2 eps to resolve Taekyeong issues and illicit funds quickly and focus on KJH and CSH. After all, the title is "Boyfriend" which could include them doing more activities together like ice-skating, going on hiking like KJH suggested....why not focus on some of these positive activities as well, so the angst could be balanced. 

It's their journey together but it seems rather tumultuous and challenging more than anything else. What happened to the expressive love and passion that should drive them even closer and stronger.....it's like these were dropped from the relationship since Cuba. Something seems to be missing since then.

The process of having a happy ending in Boyfriend is a painful one and its focus is bend on making sacrifices and encountering issues at every possible turn. Would it not be possible to make Boyfriend a more comfortable ride for two people in love, which is highly probably because anything is possible with a romance drama. 

If ep 16 allocates the last 10 minutes for KJH and CSH to reconcile....get married and then epilogue with kids etc....I would still a sense of anti-climax and wish that the process is less painful and more loving for this sweet couple. We certainly need their sweet and cute moments more than anything else in the final episode.

Perhaps PD NIM and the scriptwriter  are  sadists...lol. I remember the PD said that both PBG and SHK are 'rich' with their emotions (express themselves well) but I didn't reckon he'll make them cry so much within 3 episodes ...to satisfy his craving to see them cry....lol

That being said, I am smiling at the start when they were playful in the library....got tensed after and got hopeful in the last few minutes at KJH's serious and determined face.....as he made his way firmly to CSH's office...

• Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 4

43 minutes ago, jl08 said:

I for one would love to see lots of lovey dovey scenes although I know that's not possible. I'm fine if the issue with KJH's mum was screen in maybe ep 12 and then she turns around in ep 14 and the last 2 eps to resolve Taekyeong issues and illicit funds quickly and focus on KJH and CSH. After all, the title is "Boyfriend" which could include them doing more activities together like ice-skating, going on hiking like KJH suggested....why not focus on some of these positive activities as well, so the angst could be balanced. 

It's their journey together but it seems rather tumultuous and challenging more than anything else. What happened to the expressive love and passion that should drive them even closer and stronger.....it's like these were dropped from the relationship since Cuba.

The process of having a happy ending in Boyfriend is a painful one and its focus is bend on making sacrifices and encountering issues at every possible turn. Would it not be possible to make Boyfriend a more comfortable ride for two people in love, which is highly probably because anything is possible with a romance drama. 

I promised to sleep but before I do, I’d just like to say I agree with everything you said here

While angst is good for character development, timing and duration is equally as important

My fear now is, since there has been already too much it (3 e-p-i-s-o-d-e-s right before the finale), that the payoff won’t be as rewarding for me. Maybe, personally, this angst has overstayed its welcome that I now find myself caring less about what happens next? 

Maybe I just need to sleep? :P

But so far those 

Spoiler

Jinsoo kids/twins (if they are really theirs) are not doing anything for me in the context of what has happend in the 15 episodes so far. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s cute AF if they had twins...but we’ll see in context tomorrow

It feels like I barely saw them be in a normal boyfriend/girlfriend relationship before the angst hammer fell. 

I’m not hatin’ or turning my back on this drama. I guess I’m just anxious on how they’re gonna wrap things up

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1

How can these two loving people be in so much pain:heartbreak:

p3xp6r9pws8f.gif

qyfbfp6qjqsx.gif

Even their hands you can feel the emotion they have

csa3ubobv7iz.gif

ufbukczvrrbf.gif

Hopefully this the ending of Jin Hyuk & Soo Hyun1f64f-1f3fc.png1f91e-1f3fb.png“TIMING is EVERYTHING”  1f970.png

Spoiler

Dxm3ZbzXgAAmqpy.jpg

adding https://www.dramamilk.com/encounter-episode-15-live-recap/

Looks like we have a lot of story to look forward to next episode. Who thinks there will be a time jump? 

PREVIEW

JH – are you afraid? Don’t cry too much

MO – he should have eaten his meal and then left

HI – You are a cool person, I support you

JH – I don’t want to give you a hard time. I just want to drive you comfortably home.

JH – Tell him, don’t worry about the CEO too much, whatever he hears is just part of the process.

• Like 14
  • Sad 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

Let's just hope for an extended airing time tomorrow or special episode nxt week?

I just hope ep 16, will not be like a smorgasboard.

Dragging the problem caused by Jh mom up to this time, seems to me that even the writer doesn't know how to solve it. :unsure:

Jh should get out of their house and live on his own. This is the best first step to solve his problems. 

I wonder why none of the supporting casts who saw how their relationship grows are all tight lipped and seems insensitive . No wonder Jh confides to Ms. Lee and not to his friends. 

Eng sub is out but i only watched from Ms. Lee part till the end. Im sleepy and dont want to have nightmares because of those crying.

Preview is hopeful but tbh, it needs at least 2 ep to deliver it.

• Like 11
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, jl08 said:

I think we've seen enough of CSH to know that it's not stubbornness but rather, too much consideration for others that shape her thinking and actions. Sec Jang has made the remark on a number of occasions. CSH, who knows how it's like to be scorned and gossiped at, is considerate not to put KJH and his family through the same situations and suffer similar agony. His mum can't take it, Just one incident with a neighbor and her imagination ran wild. Too wild. It could have been clarified by talking to her son.

It's their journey together but it seems rather tumultuous and challenging more than anything else. What happened to the expressive love and passion that should drive them even closer and stronger.....it's like these were dropped from the relationship since Cuba.

If ep 16 allocates the last 10 minutes for KJH and CSH to reconcile....get married and then epilogue with kids etc....I would still wish that the process is less painful and more loving for this couple. Perhaps the PD is a sadist...lol.

There you go! Yes, I've used the wrong word

I don't have enough rest these days, please forgive me T_T

I think Yeonja thought she understands her son a lot. They have a loving relationship, Jinhyuk is her favourite as he "won't set a foot wrong" as she says, her image of him will always be the caring, obedient, smart boy. They do talk, but as you can see there's a thin layer between them as well. That lack of communication could have been saved! Her imagination ran too wild. Jinhyuk is too nice to confront her mother even after overhearing such mean words. Sigh. Yes, he did try to talk with her but all she does was running away + does not accept her son's opinion.

I pray that Jinhyuk won't go away for too long. They need to stick with each other and appear in the same frame together! : (
i can take 30 minutes of goguma and 30+ minutes of cider, without any mudane / old school plot please. i beg u T_T

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Another sad scene. JH begs with SH to not break up.

SH: Your mother gave me a jar of seasoned tangerine preserves. It was too simple and pretty. It’s something that couldn’t even be bought with money. How could I break that? I can’t, Jin Hyuk-shi.
JH: Soo Hyun-shi
SH: My family, if we even get together for breakfast, there is a news article. When I just only ate a ramen with Jin Hyuk-shi, it became noisy. (meaning there was a lot of press speculation) You remember, don’t you? This is how tumultuous it is in my family. Would I be suitable for such a simple and pretty jar of preserves?
JH: Do you think that I love you because you’re the CEO of Donghwa Hotel? Was I interested in you because your father is a famous politician? That wasn’t it! That my family is different from your family, that can’t be the reason. Everyone is different. People who are different becoming more alike, that is love. Don’t do this. Please! I can’t let you go.
SH: Just because of me, I can’t watch Jin Hyuk-shi or the people who are important to Jin Hyuk-shi get worn out. Rather than living without seeing Jin Hyuk-shi again, I think that would trouble me more. I’m sorry. I don’t think I can do that.
(JH grabs SH’s wrist, but she breaks the hold and walks away, as they both cry and JH breaks down)

I'm sad for both of them, but I really hate watching JH cry. It just grabs me there and makes me ache so much. :bawling:

@stroppyse

I have not started watching ep.15 with Eng sub yet.Thank you so much for kind translation. 

Reading your translation made me mix of feeling between

1. Praising the scriptwriter for the great script to let CSH explain the reasons so touching to reflect how much she loves and cherishes KJH in the way of a matured woman, loving and caring as a girlfriend and implicitly understand mom’s heart

What CSH explained is very reasonable.

Even what KJH’s mom explained to his father is also realistic because I have heard so often from the older people who regrets from love with heart with quick-tempered in young age

which made them and their family&chrildren difficult in the older ages.

If they can reverse, they will choose their spouse with reasonable sense for their family and children, rather than just love.

Or 

2. Be Angry how cruelly the scripwriter pave to KJH&CSH for the last two episodes that audiences can watch them. 

EDITED

@stroppyse

from your part 

“And then he continues to watch out for her albeit from adistance as SH tries to continue on her way.”

Could KJH be in the scenario that KJH is close to CSH and treats her as her boyfriend no matter what the status CSH wanna call? 

• Like 11

Thank you so much for braving this episode and providing live recaps @ahdrianaa, @gumtaek@nikir and all other people here who narrated what they see. Thanks for the gifs and images that made us cry more @Jemrie @autumnight:bawling: Thanks for everyone that i forgot to mention! Thanks @stroppyse for the accurate word by word translation.

1 hour ago, stardustvoid said:

Anyway, I know we are all happy that JH is gonna fight for his love for SH but, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm basing this off the recaps tonight, what can he do exactly to change her mind? I'm not mad at her character, I'm just confused as hell. She ended things with him, she even took off her ring, then somehow the writer wants us to believe that she'll have a complete turnaround in the last 60 minutes of the show? I just cannot comprehend this, I'm sorry. Someone enlighten me? I promised to stay away for the night but this just keeps nagging at me

And what can SH do on her part to save the relationship? Because from what I've gathered, she was already ready to carry on with her life? I'm so confused. 

You know us girls:

- We say we're fine but we're not

- We say we're not hungry but we really are

- We say we want to break but if we're honest we want the other to beg NOT to

:joy: Kidding aside though. I agree with what @ck1Oz and it wouldn't be too hard to say No especially she's still so madly in love with him. It's only a matter of time before she'll throw caution to the wind and say to hell with his mom. lols

• Like 16
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just finished watching Ep.15... 

I don’t know where to start.. it was supposed to be a tearjerking episode and I have tried to avoid all the spoilers so I can fully feel the heartbreaking moment.. yet.. I left..... unsatisfied... 

Don’t get me wrong, both PBG and SHK nailed their scenes and I can feel their emotions... but the background music distracted me from crying together with them.. maybe because I don’t understand Korean so I could not appreciate the choice of the song.. or maybe because somehow I have sort of prepared myself to endure the heartbreaking scenes and so I blame the music for my slight numbness??

I feel CSH scene with her Dad is more heartbreaking and definitely no sympathy for KJH’s Mom at the moment, as she was just plain selfish and stubborn as KJH’s Dad already pointed out that KJH has been nothing but being a good Son all this time and as parents all they need to do is to support him when he is having a hard time!

I kind of wish for KJH to leave his mom and chose CSH instead as the kind of punishment she deserves..

..sorry for my rant... I think I will rewatch it again so that this time round I can really cry together with them.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

this angst has overstayed its welcome that I now find myself caring less about what happens next? 

I know what you mean.... I didn't expect KJH's mother to play such a pivotal role against their relationship but I see where she's coming from since the greatest resistance and hardest to tackle would be from their loved ones.

We have only 1 episode to turn KJH's mum around. It's realistically flawed. Since she objected at the end of ep 13, by ep 15 her objection should have been overcome by her remorsefulness in seeing her son suffering. She said she doesn't mind being punished. Really? I thought the punishment is on both KJH and CSH. They had to break up to please her. 

Tbh, I feel that the PD and scriptwriter overfocus on the need to show the audience, the extent of sacrifices that two people in love and from different worlds would go to,  to fight for their love and stay together. There's no need to overdo it, really.  

It is better to show more love and less angst in such a beautiful and romantic drama. It's heartbreaking to watch the couple breaking down towards the end. Needless to say, their performance is amazing.

Both PBG and SHK not only look beautiful, they cry beautifully and heart-wrenchingly well....

• Like 16
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what will make JH's mom relent and let JH be with SH....is it because JH become so miserable for a long period of time? I actually have 2 friends whose parents disagreed to their relationship....the first couple takes 1 year to get approval from the dad and they are happily married with 2 kids now. The second couple takes 5 years to get approval from the mom and they just recently got married. I hope JH and SH don't have to wait for that long...these real life couples don't break up even though they have to wait that long for the approval. So, I think supposedly, SH doesn't have to break up with JH also...haiz...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

M so in love with this drama. But i feel like the last episode is hella rushed with some unresolved issues. I dont think it will satisfy viewers with the ending. Also with jh mom. I wouldnt have problem with her if it happened after ep12 or something but only 1 ep left she still against it. She is bigger threat to their relationship than TG group trying to destory csh.

• Like 7

About the leaked photo...

I think it's misleading again.

Can't stop but stare at the man behind them with outstretched arms.

I think they're the kid's father and our OTP just turned and smiled at how cute the kids are.

Or.... this is a "BTS" pic so maybe the dad is calling for the kids so the kids will go up the stairs but the camera will seemingly make it look like they are coming up to our OTP.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 6

I was ready for today's episode...they obviously must break up, but I'm not sure if Korean screenwriters collectively decided that Aristotle was wrong when he postulated about Catharsis..... that's what we watch dramas and movies and tell gossip for, the release of emotion after being wound up in the last 14 episodes.... (we already suffered with Alhambra. She better not test me tomorrow night!!)

It's like a thing with these writers... stab you, turn the knife and leave it in there.... with the blood of unresolved or hastily cobbled up endings pouring down your chest. They need to know Aristotle is called THE PHILOSOPHER for a reason! He knew what he was saying! Catharsis is the most important feeling in a story!! 

I want CSH to be the one to run after KJH. He's done enough. Let her come to him. Where does she think she's running off to? Cuba??? ¡por supuesto que NO!! I hope what we saw was her running to get back her man! 

As for KJH mother...:rage:. I was just annoyed listening to her. Best believe that I would have let my opinion be heard about that stunt she pulled. No Ms Nice Filial Daughter!!!

I hope tomorrow turns out better. A definitive ending at minimum. They must get back together!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2