Quantcast

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

7 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Slightly worried how they’re going to tie it all up into a tidy bow in a 60 minute episode.

Yes lot of loose ends to tie up..esp on the issues between JH n SH.. coz the way CSH broke up.. there will never be full trust till they get married..

All issues except JH mom n their love will be resolved pretty fast trow.. but how are they going to develop CSH personality in 1 hour.. she has to learn to let go of her fears. I guess this is why they are going for a time jump.. she will gradually  become confident n strong free over time thanks to JH impact n finally think abt herself

• Like 6
  • Insightful 6
  • Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wasn't sure I would be posting here again but my love for the last episode and our JinSoo couple brought me back to say a few words.   I pretty much lost it at Jin Hyuk's expression when h

I think that I found their room  , they will definitely have to explain the balcony kiss if my guess is correct.    CSH’s room in first episode      She is back in the same

Enjoy reading everyone's thoughts... I will elaborate on why the ending is good for me...   1.  It did not end with some drone zoomed out kiss in the Cuban Garden with sweeping romantic musi

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, jl08 said:

I think it's the quality and impact rather than quantity/duration of how bad the character is.....

well, tbh, I wish the PD and scriptwriter had taken a different route from the usual K drama...like resolving issues and breakup at the last episode. It is better to focus on happiness in the last 2 episodes since this drama is so beautiful..

Could it be SH running to look for him since he seems to be staying alone somewhere....with snow....

To be honest, Encounter as a whole, is already so much better than I expected.

When I first read the synopsis, I thought, omg it's another noona-romance drama, and chaebol family is involved! (Nothing wrong with that)

Because of this, I thought:

- The male lead is going to be childish at times, self-abased of the difference between himself and the female lead, tries to drag her down to his level and persuades her to give up everything to live a simple life - and that creates a lot of pointless conflict / argument.

- Jinhyuk's best friend (Hyein) is going to destroy OTP after learning of their relationship. Thus will agree to write the anonymous article.

- The chaebol family will do everything to destroy Jinhyuk (e.g. harassing his family, fruit store, people around them, spread malicious rumours, etc)

- Wooseok is a cunning, wicked person that will give OTP a hard time, won't leave them alone with a second of peace.

- This drama will not focus on romance, but family-war and business-war (Lots of melodramas are like this, they convert to something else midway)

- It will not solely focus on OTP and depicts the life of the supporting cast A LOT to the point that I got so fed up.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's all I can remember at the moment. Might be more but my brain is currently dead T_T

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

Since jh’s mom is so stubborn, I hope jh moves out of her house and live with SH...eh , what can she do :P

joking aside, I do think both need some times to sort out what is important and what’s not. Times to absorb and sort things out, we all need it at times. I think they won’t drag out at ep 16 , a happy ending with a lot of kisses and maybe babies , I believe  :tounge_wink:

• Like 11
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Is a time jump really inevitable? :tears: I would’ve wanted this drama to show SH standing up for herself without the use of time jumps. That’s what they were building up during the beginning of this drama. That’s what made me love her as a character 

Maybe I just need to watch it with subs but  I’m really confused about the direction the writer is taking SH’s character right now :bawling:

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

So I scheduled my vacation for this week after calculating that Encounter would end last week. I did not anticipate that it would be pushed back. Thankfully our hotel has very strong WiFi and I was able to stream today’s episode which I’m not sure was such a good decision since I totally lost it during the scene in SH’s office which was beyond heartbreaking! My husband woke up to JH’s massive breakdown and was like who broke PBG. His mom does not understand her son at all. He is a remarkable person who should never have to settle for a simple life. I wouldn’t be able to look at her either if I were his dad. At least SH’s mom is coming around to the light again.That fierce look of determination on JH’s face gave me so much hope though.

• Like 13
  • Love 3

SH has gone through so much pain emotionally. Crazy in laws who were not only controlling but abusive emotionally. Crazy parent who sacrificed her daughter  to satisfy her greed for power. Gossip hungry media who feed on her every move. It is no wonder she lacks the confidence to bring happiness to JH. She needs a determined JH who will not give up easily and have enough courage and forgiveness for both of them to stay and not leave no matter what.

You go JH!

• Like 9
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, coolbrattyro said:

I Haven't seen   tonight's episode yet. but base on the comments here ,SH will go to Cuba JH might follow her and might reconcile. Seeing how determine he is on the ending of tonight's episode ( I just refer to the pictures posted here tonight). He will probably not going to stop pursuing SH ( we all know how determined/stubborn he is). 

the ending might be:

1. They will reconcile in Cuba- meet at the cafe again where in the previous episode we saw that JH left a note asking if SH has a boyfriend.

2. SH will leave a note in the same cafe again on her last day in Cuba and then JH will arrived but too late so he will run to the airport and see SH there.  ( or there might be time lapse- they will meet in Airport in Korea like the previous episode JH will see SH outside the airport walking with sec.Jang- this time he will go after her not just watch her leave like in the other episode). 

I don't know, just these crazy ideas are running in my head right now. Maybe I was thinking too much on what the ending will be.

PS. 
Pardon me for writing this. Like what I have said, I haven't seen the episode yet. 
I don't know, just these crazy ideas are running in my head right now. Maybe I was thinking too much on what the ending will be. Maybe all rooting for a happy ending.

I totally agree the cafe will play a part. And if I may add:

SH goes to Cuba as planned, determined to break up with JH.  JH goes to Cuba in pursuit, determined to change her mind. Ex-husband goes to Cuba with expectations that he can now win SH because she has broken up with JH.

Final scene, SH and JH back on El Malecon beach, watching the sunset, kissed (3 minutes on our screen). 

SH’s been a broken bird this whole time and JH has been that one person in her life who truly understood how and when she needed to be tended.

Their whole relationship has been her reclaiming her life and power over it, by taking the first step to truly forgive her mother and wanting to have her in her life shows that JH has been successful in giving SH enough love and security to work through her problems.

Now the final issue is something that they both need to work on, stop being too kind. Like Sec Jang says “stop blaming yourself”. Both SH ,JH indivually and together need to realize that while it’s good to be kind and sensitive to your family but you need to know when your family is in the wrong, making demands that don’t do any good to anyone but satisfy one person’s immature feelings. 

No more analyzing posts for me until the next episode. Too many feels.

Adieu. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7
2 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

Is a time jump really inevitable? :tears: I would’ve wanted this drama to show SH standing up for herself without the use of time jumps. That’s what they were building up during the beginning of this drama. That’s what made me love her as a character 

Maybe I just need to watch it with subs but  I’m really confused about the direction the writer is taking SH’s character right now :bawling:

I wouldn't have been sure about the preview if not for the snowfall.. feb end snowfall is rare in korea... unless they want to show snowfall in feb end/ march.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Just now, vvpal said:

I totally agree the cafe will play a part. And if I may add:

SH goes to Cuba as planned, determined to break up with JH.  JH goes to Cuba in pursuit, determined to change her mind. Ex-husband goes to Cuba with expectations that he can now win SH because she has broken up with JH.

Final scene, SH and JH back on El Malecon beach, watching the sunset, kissed (3 minutes on our screen). 

I like your rendition but I’ll take away ex-Husband part so that we can extend kiss scene at El Malecon beach from 3 minutes to 15 mins.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I do want to add more abt this episode but am completely drained... thanks to the ending n preview my mood is much better... will continue more trow.

Happy dreams tonight abt our Jinsoo couple.. :wub:

• Like 7

Thanks for the recaps everyone. It was excellent.

I am going to avoid the spoilers for ep 16. Wait for the episode to be uploaded then do 2 episodes at once. Discovered that I can get through break up episodes better this way. No wait or suspense about waiting.

You can look at it 2 ways. We had 14 episodes of OTP together. And hoping the separation is short. Because it doesn't work well in other dramas if the break up is done ep 12 then 4 more episodes. Or ep 13 then separate 2 ep then trying to fill 2 ep of happy OTPs. Most writers seem to mess that up and don't use the time wisely.

JH's mum? I am not angry with her per se. I don't particularly care about her as a plot device. The problem is that I have seen so many real life mothers who have or can cause or ask for break up for their child. And lived with it. They didn't have remorse. It must be a special " gift " some people have. To ignore or choose to ignore pain even though they caused it. They are in such a self righteous mood " I am doing it for his own good " that their belief can't be shaken. I am not justifying her behaviour. I am saying that the writer didn't write such a ridiculous character and unbelievable mother. I am grimacing as I recall all those Asian mothers I know. Ergh. They are a " special " breed I tell you.

But what I want is for her to SUFFER. Suffer and cry. Be in such pain. If the writer can make her pain WORSE than what SH and JH suffered I would be good.

I am a vindictive sort of person. Let her feel, let her know what heartbreak is. If she felt justified that this break up is for his future, let her feel what it feels like to lose a son her loved one. Just like he lost his loved one.

Hah. Can you tell I put a lot of thought into those interfering mothers in Kdramas? They are one of my peeve points and I have put a lot of thought into what I really want those mothers to feel.

PBG looks devastated in those stills. You know what? I have never seen him that sad before. Interesting or rather it is good his acting is so good.

As you can tell I have detached myself for 24 hrs until I can get to ep 16.

It is a 45C day tomorrow and last week of school hols.  That would be distraction enough.

I wonder how DC and JM will tie up their ending. And how come WS just retreated so calmly?

Also how are they going to fit Subway into all this? Its sorta not classy enough to fit into any of the hotel scenes you know. And I have tried Subway sandwiches. Been served it multiple times for catered sandwich lunches. There is nothing there that is suitable for any Kdrama moment except for a friend meet up. Since the delivery service is so good in SK and I so prefer sandwiches from Paris Baguette.

There was a screenshot in one of the posts where PBG looked mature. He always looks so youthful. I caught a glimpse of what he would looked like one day when he hits 40 or something. Man he looks good mature. Vs some other actors who don't age well. Gives me hope I will see him on screen for many more years to come.

Sorry guys I am not as wretched as you all. I will be wrecked later. Then hit myself with the last episode straight after for my happy ending. One must learn or have techniques to survive a Kdrama break up episode.

• Like 12
  • Insightful 3
6 minutes ago, nikir said:

I do want to add more abt this episode but am completely drained... thanks to the ending n preview my mood is much better... will continue more trow.

Happy dreams tonight abt our Jinsoo couple.. :wub:

Me too. Too drained, to write comment.

Ending lives up my heart, and so sad tom is the last episode.

Please let us, our heart flutters and thank you in advanced.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

@bubblechoco I think they kept the script right, they didn’t spend too much time on needless things and gave screen time to everyone. Like it made sense that WS would want to reach out to SH but there is character development since their last conversation, he respects the fact that he shouldn’t overstep. So no regression and positive growth.

SH’s mother realizing her mistakes but very realistically done, no immediate hugs and words of love between mother and daughter. The entire exchange didn’t insult the viewers intelligence, things aren’t hunky dory but there is progress here.

JH seeking out the old widow because she is the only one he can speak to, it was interesting to note that the widow didn’t tell him about her and SH’s conversation. It shows she knows more about JH’s personality than his mother, I think if she felt any real doubt that JH wouldn’t be able to overcome this trial she would have told him despite breaking her promise to SH. 

JH’s dad reprimanding his wife but not betraying her by telling JH, he has an honorable personality and one could see how disappointed he was with her.Driver Nam holding a mirror to SH, telling her to be brave. Sec Jang and JM continue to be good supportive positive characters to the lead couple.

JH’s mother being troublesome made a lot of sense, though it wasn’t pleasant at all. If SH gets her love for paintings from her mom, I guess JH gets his stubbornness from his mom. <_< It wouldn’t do for her to take such a drastic step of confronting SH only to be normal in one episode. His mom has decades old biases that she is battling, I only wish they had shown this an episode or two earlier.

Slightly worried how they’re going to tie it all up into a tidy bow in a 60 minute episode.:huh:

Thanks buddy! Finally got my question solved!

To me, most importantly, they didn't insult the viewers' intelligence (I can endure plots that I don't like, but this is my bottom line)

I thought Teacher Lee is going to tell Jinhyuk (Didn't know she promised Soohyun - Yet to watch E14)

I have given up hope on Jinhyuk's mother, impossible to give out the green light all of a sudden in 1 episode
So how are they going to be together?

I think for now, marriage is out of the question, there's no way Soohyun will happily accept his proposal if she knows his mum is still strongly against it.

Please don't tell me, hence the title, "Boyfriend"
I'm going to stab someone -_-

• Like 7
  • LOL 7
13 minutes ago, luvhollandlop said:

I like your rendition but I’ll take away ex-Husband part so that we can extend kiss scene at El Malecon beach from 3 minutes to 15 mins.

I don't like it either, but he filmed in Cuba, so I had to fit him into the picture.  I'll trade 15 minutes of kissing for 3 minutes on El Malecon beach and 3 more minutes on the balcony/room at Hotel Havana.

Thank you for pic, recap, translation, and discussion.

(and also Thank you for the link)

I thought Encounter could make be in the early state of  bipolar disorder.

*** In the early minutes, KJH can pause CSH to ask for break up for a while from his camera case gift from his caring effort.

>> my heart was excited. 

*** In later minutes, when CSH told KJH that she has to let KJH go by breaking up. KJH showed his attempt to pull her back but she decided for him.

>> I was very sad to KJH to be in such collapsed state. 

*** Later, when KJH’s mom explained with no regret to KJH’s dad and KJH ran to meet CSH and beg her to come back but she can not.

>> I started to be very angry to mom for her action to dictate her son and to CSG for decideing for KJH as his mom’s request, regardless whether he can survive with this break up or not.

CSH, do you know the fact that Breaking up with CSH is much more torturing to KJH than facing obstacles from being with CSH.

I wanna see KJH rebel to disappear without clue/notice from these two women whom he loves the most in the world and he has been doing the best as a son and as a boyfriend to mom and CSH 

BUT both of them dictates his path of life by deciding for him to hurt cruelly.

I wanna let KJH teach these both women to behave better to treasure him properly. 

However, it might be as CSH mentioned why she likes him because Kim Jin Hyuk is Kim Jin Hyuk, he is one of a kind in this world.:phew: B)

KJH has still tried to be okay to let his parents relieve.

For CSH, he decides to pursue her with uttermost again as he has done from early episodes, how can I complain when KJH commit to CSH no matter what she did to him.

KJH might be born to love CSH. 

*** In the last minutes, KJH’s decision made me wanna raise the big flag with KJH&CSH picture wearing couple rings and wave hard to cheer him to win CSH back like I am cheering to the nation’s representatives to not give up and will win.

KJH might know his mom and CSH so well. 

For mom, she is very headstrong and stubborn so it might be useless to change her mind when she insists from head to toe like this, let imagine even his father who has known his mom much longer than him can not ask her reconsider.

Let mom take more time to see KJH sad and digest what is the choice mom really has. 

With CSH’s personality and life background, KJH has to be the diligent boyfriend for the rest of his life as he has been like this with CSH since they knew each other.

KJH can not surrender or be prestigious from CSH’s rejecting reaction.

CSH sometimes might suffocate from underestimating and blame herself from making KJH’s life and his family complicated.

She will hesitate, KJH has to insist and standstill.

CSH occasionally might reject him when she was down from external impacts or other people in their life.

He must try harder without discouragement to reject such break up request and acts as her boyfriend. 

She might be back to be an iceberg princess, let knock ice whenever her body looked icy with more caring and pester.

What KJH can do is chasing CSH like they has just known everyday. 

He has to be with full energy as her boyfriend to attempt to destroy walls in her heart willingly whenever she loves KJH with concerning too much for him and his family. 

CSH loves KJH very much too but CSH will be like this, what KJH can do is understanding and do the best to change her mind to normal state whenever she is down. He will need to be steady and calm to remain as CSH’s boyfriend. 

“Boyfriend” is the word to suit this drama indeed.

My spirit to cheer KJH&CSH together comes back and definitely KJH will be able to bring his “boyfriend” status back because KJH&CSH love each other.

In fact, break up requires mutual acts by two person, CSH alone can not do. 

Tomorrow I forecast to watch more cute scenes KJH attempts chasing CSH back without listening to CSH’s asking to break up,

let turn a deaf ear to CSH and  ask for full support from Mr.Nam, Secretary Jang, and whoever restless to the max.:wub:

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구