Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Relationship with in-laws and parents are indeed one of the major reason for heartache during marriage and a leading contributor for divorce. It's good that they are facing this issue now rather than later. My MIL also has some reservation about me before we got married but my BF (now husband) and I discussed it and we took actions to overcome and prevent the issues moving forward. We're fortunate also that we live in a different country from our relatives hahaha so the family pressure is smaller. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Episode 13 Reviews

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Park Bo Gum to Song Hye Gyo, "Wherever you go, whatever you do, your heart is with me" 

boyfriend.png

1. [+749,-17]
Jin Hyuk's lines today were amazing. I teared up. It's not easy to convey one's feelings beautifully and honestly. 
2. [+562,-4]
When Park Bo Gum talked about his feelings and confessed directly, it was so heart fluttering and affectionate, I can feel his deep love for her. His acting is too good. I hope Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun live a happy life together.  
3. [+449,-12]
Why am I able to feel Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Gyo's emotions? Their acting is too good. 
4. [+341,-7]
Park Bo Gum ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Because of Jin Hyuk, my standard for men are going higher. How am I going to fall in love now? 
5. [+299,-6]
Park Bo Gum is really mature and reliable today. He's so cool. 
6. [+137,-2]
"All your pasts have its own meaning and reason. Wherever you are, whatever you do, your heart is with me." Jin Hyuk's lines are touching.. I teared up listening to Park Bo Gum's voice that's filled with his emotions. ㅠㅠ
7 [+133,-3]
Tearing up without saying anything... Song Hye Gyo's acting is really good. 
8. [+101,-5]
Ah, Song Hye Gyo crying broke my heart. 
9. [+96,-3]
Ah, when Song Hye Gyo lowered her head and cried, ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I cried together with her. 
10. [+89,-0]
Wow, seriously. This drama is daebak. Song Hye Gyo's gaze, wow~~ Park Bo Gum~~ Their acting skills are great.

Spoiler

boyfriend13.png

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Song Hye Gyo chooses ♥Park Bo Gum.. absent from Jang Seung Jo's father's death anniversary 

1. [+705,-21]
Wow, Park Bo Gum's words are thoughtful and cool. ㅠㅠㅠ "I don't feel uncomfortable with whoever Soo Hyun-ssi meets. All your pasts have its own meaning. Wherever you go, whatever you do, in the end, you came to me." ㅠㅠㅠ  When Jin Hyuk teased Soo Hyun, it was so heart fluttering and sweet too. 
2. [+354,-16]
Dinner with Jin Hyuk and his family was so heartwarming. My heart felt warm. 
3. [+299,-17]
It was a good decision. You'll regret for the rest of your life if you drop a man like Jin Hyuk. 
4. [+212,-17]
A really beautiful drama. Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Gyo are pretty. 
5. [+194,-17]
Kim Jin Hyuk's family is so warm, and Kim Jin Hyuk is becoming more charming the more I watch. 
6. [+52,-4]
All of Park Bo Gum lines were being considerate towards the other party. I'm amazed. I really like Jin Hyuk. 
7. [+43,-3]
You have to grab hold of a man like Jin Hyuk no matter what.

Source: melohwa.blogspot.com

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, thesunset said:

That’s why in this episode I wasn’t angry at all.It’s sad but to me it was understandable and realistic.

Sorry to cut your post but I just want to highlight this part.

I have posted pages back that I am not expecting KJH's mom to accept the relationship right away. I even said 1 episode of her not accepting the relationship. But I was leaning more on her "passively" not accepting the relationship. Nevertheless, I also think this is realistic even in my country. I still do not like what she did though. She undermined JH and did not think things through, feelings is the only thing leading her to do what she did. Mothers have a way of thinking that they know best for their kids, and no matter what anyone else might tell otherwise or no matter how old their kids are, for them they will always be "kids". I don't like it, and I didn't like what she did (making such a pretty face cry like that :angry:) but it is expected.

• Like 16

I haven't seen tonight's episode yet, but after reading the recaps and pictures, let's talk about how JH omma gets the "Doing Too Much Award"! :angry:

• First, JH decided to talk to both of his parents individually after SH came to their house for dinner. A dinner that she chose over going to her ex-in-laws highly publicized <--- (I'll get back to that in a moment) death anniversary. His father, being an adult had a nice open conversation with him about it and it was fine. As soon as he parted his lips to discuss it with his mother, she got up and walked away. She decided to cut communication because she already had her mind made up.

• Second, she sent SH a gift with the request to see her, which one might think it was a formal way of saying thank you for coming to our home for dinner. Thank you for loving my wonderful son. Nope, she shows up with an evil plan that is based entirely on societal prejudice and insecurity.

There are TWO THINGS that CSH is sensitive about. 1) Marriage - because she is divorced and had to endure such a cruel and suffocating arranged marriage. 2) Family - her family life has been lonely. Her father was always away being a public servant and her mother isolated her from everyone for her own selfish greed.

JH's mother came to CSH and threw both of these things in her face. And what makes it especially cruel is that she cried and pulled the emotional manipulation to get CSH to do what she wanted her to do. Let me first play on the fact that you are a divorced woman, which in Korea is like going around a wearing a scarlet letter. Then if that wasn't enough, she made it seem like she was ONLY doing this to protect her family. Of course CSH is going to be rattled! Of course, she is going to take a step back. She knows all to well how much she herself has sacrificed. But for his mother to do all of this behind his back is just plain wrong. Right now, CSH needs a fairy godmother/godfather. She needs someone to be on her side and guide her on what to do next. I need the tea lady or somebody to come through for her. She is already dealing with her evil ex-in-laws and her pretentious mother.

SIDENOTE: At the death anniversary, when the press was waiting outside, and that one reporter was like, "Do you think CSH is really going to attend?" Then we see her car and they all scrambled to get a picture. I got the distinct feeling that her coming was the ONLY REASON they were there in the first place. Let me find out Chairwoman is using CSH's popularity to get the press interested in their family. :smirk:

• Like 16
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 6

JH’s mom is a simple minded woman who just wants her family to live quiet and happy lives so I can somewhat related where she is coming from. Not that it is the right thing to do , I hope she will come around in tomorrow’s episode and accept SH. With 3episodes left   i hope they gave us what we want and not an open-ending situation to our main couple.

Q9YT5i.gif

PMvcfYX.gif

DxCY33kXQAEbvaL.jpg

Spoiler

DxCLIIEXgAIuuI1.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NongpeeP said:

KJH is a good son in Korean Family with close bonding, parents can hope for his good life and good wife after graduation and start working. In some Asian countries, parents raise their sons/daughters with love and best support ever; therefore, sometimes expectation and a certain involvement might be understanable.  

Let KJH’s mom get more info and take some time to gradually make her mind.

She might not like CSH as her son’s girlfriend and hope for her son’s wife’s normality but she would accept her son’s choice one day from her love to the son and from her son’s love to CSH.

Even within my own culture, (which is not Asian) there is the expectation that you are supposed to value your parents opinion very highly.  Often tying to convince your parents to change their minds once they’ve made them up is like trying to force the wind to change direction.  

For our JinSoo couple, I really believe that the best decision would be to continue with their relationship without JinHyuk’s mother's approval.  Regardless of what they do (stay together or break up) everyone knows of the connection between the Kim family and the Cha family now.  The awkward interactions, cruel commentary, and people asking favors won’t stop even if JinHyuk and SooHyun separate.  They’re linked now, so his mother may as well get out of the way and let her son be happy.  That way there can be a least one benefit to come out of all of the hardship.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

It seems this thread didn't sleep.:D

DxDpJX9VsAAXT5o.jpg

DxDpJX_VYAELh3M.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bscyu1HAPh0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1dgw4widhyq0e 

This, too, shall pass, chingus!

I wished https://melohwa.blogspot.com/ transated the netizens' reaction to this article instead.

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&amp;aid=0002755356&amp;cluid=enter_201901162200_00000001...

Netizens' upvotes are more than 2K

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

I'm thinking... In the last part where CSH mentioned about she learned from WooSuk...

I think... Because of what WooSuk did, she will do the same to cut ties with him and not KJH? To tell him to stop because there's no chance of him winning over CSH again.

I also agree with the other chinggus here. Ususally in a 16ep drama... This is where the conflict arises and how they will be able to resolve it. Ep13-14. Think of the other kdramas. :)

I am looking forward on how KJH and CSH will face this and hope everything would be resolved in ep14 so we can still enjoy the last 2 episodes :)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, leedonghaek said:

Ep.13 : 7.927%

May I add to that

Seoul Metropolitan: 10.043

Yay! The ratings increased!

Stay happy everyone!

DxET4avUcAAx2iy.jpg

DxET9TtUcAE8gEW.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, mellinadear said:

It better not be WS or I will scream. :crazy:

Unexpected guest.. maybe WS uncle the director or JH bro?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, thesunset said:

And to those who don’t want to watch this episode, it’s not bad at all. It has so many lovely scenes. You will enjoy it. It is a combination of some sweet, heart warming, funny, melancholy scenes.

I just finished watching, and I have to agree that it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Most of the episode is actually rather warm and tender, with some very lovely couple scenes of SH and JH, and JH just being all melty and cute in his sentiments. How can he say some of those things and make them sound so moving and beautiful rather than cheesy???

So, many positives to the episode as JH and SH become ever more comfortable as a couple. And, all of those little kisses that they give each other. :wub: Plus, JH's father has decided to give them his whole-hearted support, as has SH's father.

The end with the mother was sad because she objected, however, watching it, I didn't feel as badly as I might have. JH's mother's concern isn't necessarily for herself. What she's having a hard time with is to hear her neighbors cast aspersions on her son, in effect saying that he wasn't able to get employment by his own merits, but had to use his sugar mama to get into such a prestigious company. I think it would upset any mother to hear that. However, it wasn't just hearing and thinking that her son was going to be slandered willy-nilly, it was that the rumors would follow JH around for a long, long time, if not the rest of his life if he dates such a high-profile person as SH. And, finally, the mother is concerned that the relationship isn't going to go the distance. JH's mother can't imagine that SH would actually want to marry her son, even though they are dating. So, from JH's mother's perspective, her son who is the lower/weaker person in this relationship may get his heart broken, his name muddied, and have to live with the consequences alone after having given himself over to this relationship. Overhearing that her husband was not going to object to the relationship seems to have provoked her concern even more. I guess she thinks that her husband has also fallen for the pretty face that SH has in terms of giving his consent?

So, there are definitely ways for SH/JH to tackle this without sacrificing their love. I agree with @yonaomi123 that JH and SH should stay together, despite JH's mother's disapproval and show her that their love is true and will go the distance. I do not expect that JH and SH will be completely happy until JH's mother gives her approval, but I feel that's appropriate to the culture. Of course, JH and SH could just get married. :DTalk about seriously causing a lot of talk then, however, it would neatly spike one of JH's mother objections that the relationship won't be going all the way to marriage.

I think that SH and JH can continue to date without disrespecting JH's mother; it'll just be a little harder, a little more uncomfortable. But, first things first, I think that JH needs to become aware of his mother's objection. It's not fair to him to keep him in the dark. I can see why JH's mother doesn't want to approach it with him, but as his girlfriend, SH really should tell JH.

I'm bracing myself for the possible break up scene in episode 14, though.  Despite various issues, it's been a little too lovey-dovey for our OTP. I can imagine that they're introducing angst into the penultimate week's episodes so that the finale resolution will be that much sweeter.

All in all, I'm still sure that SH and JH are going to be together.  Perhaps since they've given us so much else, they'll actually allude to a wedding between SH and JH? Even if it's just a proposal scene rather than a full on wedding, I'm fine with an ending that indicates that the two will spend every together and live like that for a long, long time to paraphrase JH's own words.

Btw, I found Director Choi's ouster from the company so satisfying. He's been a total worm throughout the drama. Now, SH just has to face down Chairwoman Kim, and the hotel is good to go as SH's.  However, WS' role in the drama doesn't seem to have finished. Perhaps he and SH can finally clear up all misunderstandings and WS will do the gentlemanly thing and step down? Guess we'll find out tomorrow or next week.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Wow this thread is literally doesn't sleep, love it, keep on coming chingus.. and reading all of your thoughts and reviews, really put me in new perspective on why the writer decided to make such plot. I'm a happy camper here. 

Tonight i will just sit, and reading all your recaps, spoilers, thought and review before watching ep 14. After watching Soo Hyun cried, i still don't have a heart to watch live streaming.. 

300 pages and more is totally awesome, you guys are awesome!!

• Like 9

So I finally caved and watched. It sure had its lovely moments but man, was it really overshadowed by JH’s mum in the end.

I know it’s probably a cultural thing, but I can’t wrap myself around the fact the SHE DID IT BEHIND HIS BACK. I reckon she doesn’t want to ruin JH’s pristine perception of her. After all, he is a mama’s boy. And she knows SH wouldn’t have the nerve to tell JH that mum went to see her to end the relationship. She may be simple minded on the outside but JH’s mum is also cunning. Also, as lovely as the OTP are their weak point is they don’t communicate as as openly as I would want. 

My dream scenario is SH would say hell to the no about breaking up with JH. Yes, I know, it will most definitely ruin his family dynamics. On the other hand, I really want to see SH FIGHT FOR HER MAN rather than JH’s stubbornness being the thing that saves the relationship.

SH gurl, I’m rooting for you! If it’s worth having it’s worth fighting for!

ETA: as sad as this episode was there were so many foreshadowings for a happy ending

• Like 18
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2