[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

26 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

Oh boy. What an episode. Should I hold out until the finale for the sake of my sanity??

eeeeeeeeeeeeek

My sanity in on the line after i watched ep 13,  i think you better wait until ep 14. 

Hugs back to you to @thistle

Maybe tmrw i will just camp here, and wait until everyone give spoilers and review :D

And YES FOR AWARDS TO SONG HYE KYO AND PARK BO GUM, TVN PLEASE!! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A few days ago I read a korean netizen comment that she wanted a VR version of the JH on the balcony.:D

After today, I would settle for a VR version of JH on the couch. :sweatingbullets:

Did someone say there were going to drink soju? 

Spoiler

Is this you?

3-F88262-B-212-C-4-A3-C-B534-97-D21051-D

• Like 2
  • LOL 19

15 minutes ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

Maybe tmrw i will just camp here, and wait until everyone give spoilers and review :D

Makes sense to stand behind the safety line until the danger is past.  :)  

Please, join me while I wait!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Okay. JH’s mom probably had her reasons, but I am so blinded by hate for her right now

I really can’t watch this episode. I usually hate spoilers, but I will tune in for the recap here tomorrow of episode 14. That way I would know of I really should hold out until. The. Very. Last. Episode.

You know the saddest part of all? We only have 3 episodes of JinSoo left and they are probably gonna spend it all angsty!

No, a one minute romantic montage at the very end of episode 16 won’t satisfy me!

I know, I’m getting ahead of myself. Sue me, I’m pissed!

• Like 6
  • LOL 6
  • Thanks 1

I just finished watching episode 13. It’s so heartbreakingly beautiful. I love it except the part where his mother intervened. My gosh, they are definitely talking  about taking their relationship into the next step. Which makes me hopeful that the ending of this is marriage. Im sure that they will overcome this. This is just a phase. Those who think they cannot take this episode, well I suggest you watch it and just ignore the last part. I love this episode, they really have come a long way. They are so perfect for each other. 

• Like 15

Just finished the eng sub...

Just my thoughts:

Sh first impression of Jh mom as a nice one. But now she is wrong. She sees her as different from her own mother and ex mil. But now to her the 3 are one and the same. She is in rebellion with the momsters now, i think she will do the same with Jh mom. ( i hope im right).

What im expecting .... Jh will know what his wife did. Since he is supporting his son all the way, he will talk to Sh to clear things.

Jh will sense something wrong with his mom. It is from his own words that there's going  to be a problem with his mom. If worse comes to worse, he will move out from his house.

Oh, spring is discussed in the pr team. When in spring, many wedding events, i hope this tells something

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I really can’t watch this episode

Go ahead and watch, chingu. It might not be as bad as some of our comments...lol. I guess we're just wanting to see everything smooth sailing for our OTP.

Ep 13 has its sweet moments as well - JH planting a quick kiss on SH's lips, that beautiful couch scene where JH asked SH to put her head on his thigh..so romantic and sweet...the way he half lies on her and stroke her hair...the way he kneels down and had that beautiful assurance conversation with SH where both are so emotional...

The part where JH, SH, Sec Jang and Driver Nam had a warm meal in SH's house is so sweet too.

There are scenes worth watching, seriously. Don't mind the last part yet you gotta see how badly JH's mum wants SH to break up with her son so that when she finally accepts them it'll be so sweet......

@Jemrie

Oh chingu, you're the best! Thanks for sharing those sweet scenes of our OTP. I love every moment of them together and PD NIM needs to know that we want to see more of the OTP moments than anything else.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

You raise some good points. I was just saying that I still see a difference between JH's mother and the other two mothers, WS' mother and SH's mother. I still don't think that JH's mother is at the same level of "bad". Also, since JH's mother really does want the happiness of her son, she's going to come around. Unlike the other two mothers for whom their children are just tools to be used for their own purposes.

Perhaps rather than selfish love, JH's mother is an "I know what's better for you than you do" kind of love? It's still harmful, and it takes away JH's agency in thinking that she knows best for him.

As for getting to know SH better first, JH's mother probably thinks she has some idea of the woman that SH has from all the media that SH gets. In a way, it's probably also a commentary on how we fans may think we know a star because we've read/seen so much about them, but really and truly, we aren't privy to the people that they really are.

I find WS' mother and SH's mother's actions horrifying and incomprehensible while I can understand some of why JH's mother acted the way she did. Again, this is not to say that I agree or that I think she's doing the right thing, just that it's within the realm of normal mother behavior, as far as I know.

And, most importantly for me, I really, truly believe that loving her son as she does, JH and SH's love will ultimately be able to win JH's mother over.

Aside from their deaths, I don't know that there is anything that SH's mother and WS' mother might regret, and even then, the regret might be that they no longer have a tool in hand to use. *shrug*

@stroppyse Thank you for your translation.

Plus, thank you for mentioning about KJH’s mom’s love for KJH which is totally different from CSH’s mom and Ex-Husband’s mom who care their own business. 

KJH is a good son in Korean Family with close bonding, parents can hope for his good life and good wife after graduation and start working. In some Asian countries, parents raise their sons/daughters with love and best support ever; therefore, sometimes expectation and a certain involvement might be understanable.  

Let KJH’s mom get more info and take some time to gradually make her mind.

She might not like CSH as her son’s girlfriend and hope for her son’s wife’s normality but she would accept her son’s choice one day from her love to the son and from her son’s love to CSH.

I strongly believe that KJH or KJH’s dad who has lived with KJH’s mom for decades can convince KJH’s mom with a certain way to suit her. 

Even I watch Encounter and cheer for KJH&CSH but I still think that parents’ blessing (KJH’s parents and CSH’s dad) in Korea will make the couple truly happy, rather than unpleasant separation from family. 

By the way, I have watched Encounter ep.13 with EngSub, I understand KJH’s mom’s explanation to CSH and I still have high hope in KJH, KJH’s son, and Teacher Lee to find the way to change KJH’s mom’s mind. 

I like all OST. in Encounter esp. the newest one in ep.13, melody is interesting in relax feel.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I see everyone is angry at JH’s mom but I think it’s more because of our expectation of her to accept SH, to be warm toward her and give her blessing rather than what we have shown so far. JH’s mother is a traditional mother and from the beginning told her sons that she doesn’t want them to have a woman like Soohyun in their lives... she is basically a celebrity and always in the news and also a divorcee.

Some said aren’t those two only important? what era are the parents living?parents shouldn’t interfere, etc. I don’t know your countries and cultures but I know that if my brother had come and introduced a divorced woman to my parents, they wouldn’t give their blessings. Also I know in some countries if the son/daughter insists on getting married to someone who parents don’t approve, they will cut ties with him/her.That’s how so many traditional families work. That’s why in this episode I wasn’t angry at all.It’s sad but to me it was understandable and realistic.

And to those who don’t want to watch this episode, it’s not bad at all. It has so many lovely scenes. You will enjoy it. It is a combination of some sweet, heart warming, funny, melancholy scenes.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Relationship with in-laws and parents are indeed one of the major reason for heartache during marriage and a leading contributor for divorce. It's good that they are facing this issue now rather than later. My MIL also has some reservation about me before we got married but my BF (now husband) and I discussed it and we took actions to overcome and prevent the issues moving forward. We're fortunate also that we live in a different country from our relatives hahaha so the family pressure is smaller. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Episode 13 Reviews

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Park Bo Gum to Song Hye Gyo, "Wherever you go, whatever you do, your heart is with me" 

boyfriend.png

1. [+749,-17]
Jin Hyuk's lines today were amazing. I teared up. It's not easy to convey one's feelings beautifully and honestly. 
2. [+562,-4]
When Park Bo Gum talked about his feelings and confessed directly, it was so heart fluttering and affectionate, I can feel his deep love for her. His acting is too good. I hope Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun live a happy life together.  
3. [+449,-12]
Why am I able to feel Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Gyo's emotions? Their acting is too good. 
4. [+341,-7]
Park Bo Gum ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Because of Jin Hyuk, my standard for men are going higher. How am I going to fall in love now? 
5. [+299,-6]
Park Bo Gum is really mature and reliable today. He's so cool. 
6. [+137,-2]
"All your pasts have its own meaning and reason. Wherever you are, whatever you do, your heart is with me." Jin Hyuk's lines are touching.. I teared up listening to Park Bo Gum's voice that's filled with his emotions. ㅠㅠ
7 [+133,-3]
Tearing up without saying anything... Song Hye Gyo's acting is really good. 
8. [+101,-5]
Ah, Song Hye Gyo crying broke my heart. 
9. [+96,-3]
Ah, when Song Hye Gyo lowered her head and cried, ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I cried together with her. 
10. [+89,-0]
Wow, seriously. This drama is daebak. Song Hye Gyo's gaze, wow~~ Park Bo Gum~~ Their acting skills are great.

Spoiler

boyfriend13.png

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Song Hye Gyo chooses ♥Park Bo Gum.. absent from Jang Seung Jo's father's death anniversary 

1. [+705,-21]
Wow, Park Bo Gum's words are thoughtful and cool. ㅠㅠㅠ "I don't feel uncomfortable with whoever Soo Hyun-ssi meets. All your pasts have its own meaning. Wherever you go, whatever you do, in the end, you came to me." ㅠㅠㅠ  When Jin Hyuk teased Soo Hyun, it was so heart fluttering and sweet too. 
2. [+354,-16]
Dinner with Jin Hyuk and his family was so heartwarming. My heart felt warm. 
3. [+299,-17]
It was a good decision. You'll regret for the rest of your life if you drop a man like Jin Hyuk. 
4. [+212,-17]
A really beautiful drama. Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Gyo are pretty. 
5. [+194,-17]
Kim Jin Hyuk's family is so warm, and Kim Jin Hyuk is becoming more charming the more I watch. 
6. [+52,-4]
All of Park Bo Gum lines were being considerate towards the other party. I'm amazed. I really like Jin Hyuk. 
7. [+43,-3]
You have to grab hold of a man like Jin Hyuk no matter what.

Source: melohwa.blogspot.com

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, thesunset said:

That’s why in this episode I wasn’t angry at all.It’s sad but to me it was understandable and realistic.

Sorry to cut your post but I just want to highlight this part.

I have posted pages back that I am not expecting KJH's mom to accept the relationship right away. I even said 1 episode of her not accepting the relationship. But I was leaning more on her "passively" not accepting the relationship. Nevertheless, I also think this is realistic even in my country. I still do not like what she did though. She undermined JH and did not think things through, feelings is the only thing leading her to do what she did. Mothers have a way of thinking that they know best for their kids, and no matter what anyone else might tell otherwise or no matter how old their kids are, for them they will always be "kids". I don't like it, and I didn't like what she did (making such a pretty face cry like that :angry:) but it is expected.

• Like 16

I haven't seen tonight's episode yet, but after reading the recaps and pictures, let's talk about how JH omma gets the "Doing Too Much Award"! :angry:

• First, JH decided to talk to both of his parents individually after SH came to their house for dinner. A dinner that she chose over going to her ex-in-laws highly publicized <--- (I'll get back to that in a moment) death anniversary. His father, being an adult had a nice open conversation with him about it and it was fine. As soon as he parted his lips to discuss it with his mother, she got up and walked away. She decided to cut communication because she already had her mind made up.

• Second, she sent SH a gift with the request to see her, which one might think it was a formal way of saying thank you for coming to our home for dinner. Thank you for loving my wonderful son. Nope, she shows up with an evil plan that is based entirely on societal prejudice and insecurity.

There are TWO THINGS that CSH is sensitive about. 1) Marriage - because she is divorced and had to endure such a cruel and suffocating arranged marriage. 2) Family - her family life has been lonely. Her father was always away being a public servant and her mother isolated her from everyone for her own selfish greed.

JH's mother came to CSH and threw both of these things in her face. And what makes it especially cruel is that she cried and pulled the emotional manipulation to get CSH to do what she wanted her to do. Let me first play on the fact that you are a divorced woman, which in Korea is like going around a wearing a scarlet letter. Then if that wasn't enough, she made it seem like she was ONLY doing this to protect her family. Of course CSH is going to be rattled! Of course, she is going to take a step back. She knows all to well how much she herself has sacrificed. But for his mother to do all of this behind his back is just plain wrong. Right now, CSH needs a fairy godmother/godfather. She needs someone to be on her side and guide her on what to do next. I need the tea lady or somebody to come through for her. She is already dealing with her evil ex-in-laws and her pretentious mother.

SIDENOTE: At the death anniversary, when the press was waiting outside, and that one reporter was like, "Do you think CSH is really going to attend?" Then we see her car and they all scrambled to get a picture. I got the distinct feeling that her coming was the ONLY REASON they were there in the first place. Let me find out Chairwoman is using CSH's popularity to get the press interested in their family. :smirk:

• Like 16
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 6

JH’s mom is a simple minded woman who just wants her family to live quiet and happy lives so I can somewhat related where she is coming from. Not that it is the right thing to do , I hope she will come around in tomorrow’s episode and accept SH. With 3episodes left   i hope they gave us what we want and not an open-ending situation to our main couple.

Q9YT5i.gif

PMvcfYX.gif

DxCY33kXQAEbvaL.jpg

Spoiler

DxCLIIEXgAIuuI1.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2