[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I have just finished Encounter ep.11 with English Subtitle.

I can feel KJH's and CSH's love to each other. They are learning to understand each other more.KJH’s matching rings is the symbol of his promise to always be by CSH’s side and the ring can confirm CSH reality to have KJH, not just a dream. 

:blush:

When CSH discussed with Mr.Nam about Director Bad, they are like a mafia. B)

I appreciated KJH's dad who is blunt as CSH mentioned to KJH. KJH's dad said he trusts KJH but he wanna know KJH's thought about his tough love in order to consider whether to root on or to stop, KJH's dad directly told KJH his considering but not answer yet. I thought that KJH's dad might need to know CSH's thought(as he asked Manager to arrange meeting CSH) in order to complete his considering process. That's wise for a dad who loves his son and found out his son is in love with a woman in CEO position in a Chaebol’s shadow. :thumbsup:

CSH saw how KJH's family is, she felt their family bonding which she has not.  :wub:

For ex-husband who I will not remember his name, he asked one of Hotel's director to help him have co-CEO position in the hotel, such director who used to be a part of procuring CSH to be this ex-husband’s wife by persuading CSH’s dad that this ex-husband was not as badly as his family (still guilty from what ex-husband did to CSH and ashamed to face CSH’s dad)

This ex-husband declared the war with KJH with the word of love at first sight and he still loves. :triumph:

From ep.11 and the preview, this ex-husband might try to be the knight on white horse to CSH about the hotel with his personal fund (money again), this time he did not prepare bag, shoes, dress, flower, luxury brands but the Donghwa hotel (is at risk by his mom and spy) that he thought CSH treasures. This Ex-husband wanna show KJH that KJH is not as rich as the ex-husband so KJH can not protect CSH as the Ex-husband is offering. :rage:

=================================================

88598cc5b3624c0c8f2b99f2d47c8860.jpeg?s=

Watch: Park Bo Gum Sings A Sweet Serenade To Song Hye Kyo In “Encounter”

Jan 10, 2019
by J. K

Park Bo Gum made many hearts flutter with his performance in the latest episode of “Encounter”!

The actor is currently starring as Kim Jin Hyuk in the tvN drama, with Song Hye Kyo playing his girlfriend Cha Soo Hyun.

In episode 11 that aired on January 9, Cha Soo Hyun woke up in the morning feeling embarrassed as she relived flashbacks of what she’d done the night before while drunk, when she hadn’t been able to control her feelings of love and affection for Kim Jin Hyuk. She had lovingly fed him and raved about all his handsome features before landing a kiss on his lips, which made him laugh. He smiled at her fondly after getting her in the car to drive her home, despite her protests.

As she sat on her bed looking mortified the next morning, her phone rang and she saw that it was Kim Jin Hyuk. She briefly steeled herself for the call before picking up and asking him, “Did you get home alright last night?”

In lieu of an answer, Kim Jin Hyuk began singing Kim Dong Ryul’s song “Drunken Truth.” In the lyrics to the song, the singer makes a drunken love confession, as the alcohol is acting as their liquid courage to say something they’d always wanted to say.

When he paused to hear her reaction, Cha Soo Hyun laughed and said, “Stop it, I remember everything.” He kept on singing with a big smile, and Cha Soo Hyun grinned as she listened to his serenade.

Eventually he got interrupted by his brother Kim Jin Myung (played by Block B’s P.O), who burst into the room to join him in the song. Kim Jin Hyuk said to Cha Soo Hyun over the phone, “I’ll sing the second verse later,” and hung up, which made her smile again.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1290197wpp/watch-park-bo-gum-sings-sweet-serenade-song-hye-kyo-encounter

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Work meetings kept me out of the stream of posts for a while but caught up again.  Why does work have to get in the way of my KDramas?

I have not had a chance to see the entire episode yet but appreciate the screencaps, gifs, and dialogue translations.  As our OTP was spending time in Cuba, was I crazy but I thought I heard the shutter of a camera taking pictures of our couple?  If so, who is taking the pictures?  Was that revealed later in the episode?

I just loved how romantic KJH and CSH have become in this episode.  They will need these memories as they face the inevitable big challenge coming soon.  This seems to be the pattern of the PD-nim.  Happy times, followed by tough times with the loving memories to see them through the tough times.  Hopefully, the slight change in the pattern is that they will face the upcoming challenges together as opposed to separately going forward.  Even up to and including Cuba, KJH and CSH were acting independently of each other.  I think they are coming to the conclusion that although they are each strong on their own, they are even stronger as a couple.  That's my hope as to where they take the remainder of the episodes.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Ep11 thoughts:

My heart is so full of love that it's starting to overflow. I officially adore Encounter.

:heart:

SH+JH are so perfect together, it's not even funny. I was alternating between grinning like an idiot, squeeing, crying, and plain in awe: perfect kiss-while-laughing, the cutest drunken confession, the most adorable morning serenade and what will go in history as the most romantic kdrama proposal I have ever seen. And the parents being adorable, and the nicest mother-daughter evening as cherries on top. This is my favorite episode so far.

:triumph:

I am losing even the minimum amount of patience that I had for WS. He really is his mother's son, and I loved his uncle for calling him out on it. By now it is perfectly clear that he does not love SH at all; he does not even understand the concept. His behavior is all about seeing JH having something that he could not possess and wanting to take it away. He clearly has no problem going behind his mother's back and doing whatever he damn pleases, so he could have protected SH back when, if he wanted to. I guess it was easier to just buy her some useless expensive trinket instead. And that's all you need to know, really. The hell with him and his stupid hotel. SH is smart and uber-competent. It took her a few years to build a crappy corporate hotel into a top class brand. Starting from scratch again would be hard, but still better than having to tolerate that ridiculous chaebol family.

PS: don't know if this story has a happy ending or not, but it is for sure true love.

(but really, if anything is fair in the world, they should never be more than 10cm apart)

PPS: more highlights

- drunk SH: 'Nobody ever notices, but I was always cute.' JH: 'I see you.' and you kind of know that that is the whole point of the story. When she is with him, SH can be her true self. And he sees her, all of her, and has ever since the beginning.

- I loved that he is ten steps ahead in their relationship, as usual - giving her couple rings while committing to her forever in the same breath. It was also great how he told her that he is going to hang in there and do all the things he wants to do, slowly - telling her that no matter how long it takes he'll be waiting for her to reach the same level.

- love cleaning lady, and how people see them together and just go 'oh, the joy of being young and in love' forgetting all the rest. 

Before this episode, I was 100% convinced that the story would end with them happily together. But we had to talk about the letter buried under the sequoia tree... and now I am a bit scared. The 'I'll be by your side until your last breath' started to sound like foreshadowing... Good thing SH complained and shut it off right away. 

PPPS: there is this one learning experiment from the 60s I keep thinking about:  it includes a feeder and a chicken running around trying to get to the food; if the chicken approaches the feeder, it will go away faster than the chicken could catch it; if he moves in the opposite direction, the feeder would follow twice as fast. The only way to get fed is to walk away from the thing you want. The chicken, however, never learns it.

WS reminds me a lot of that chicken: the only way he could get SH to look at him with something other than contempt would be to step away and let her be happy on a path of her own choosing. But - like the chick - I think he is incapable of ever figuring that out.

PPPPS: I adore JH's thought processes: like the morning after SH getting drunk he knew that she would be embarrassed, so he came with a plan to embarrass himself just as much to even out the field. Choosing a song about a drunken confession to tease her and take out the sting, making sure that he gets to the 'I loved you from the very beginning' part before stopping. Bonus points for the fact that although his voice is lovely the singing is not perfect. Also for promising a continuation of the second verse at a later time.

It's good that they are always together, so when one is drinking the other has to drive. They are so cute that the universe could not handle both of them together drunk at the same time.

P^5S: When JH asks what she is so-so-so happy about, SH first list a long list of things she got to eat :P - a woman after my own heart. And a refreshing view of the love going through the stomach saying.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, larrysouth said:

As our OTP was spending time in Cuba, was I crazy but I thought I heard the shutter of a camera taking pictures of our couple?

You're only crazy if I'm crazy, too, because I also heard it and it made me wonder if someone was following them.

..........I'm still watching the ep but I had to come back and comment on the camera shutter clicking because I noticed it right away.

I also noticed that now JH is taking pictures in color with his phone instead of  B&W the way he did with his old camera.

And I had to laugh when I saw JH sleeping in the airport.  Can't imagine why he didn't get enough sleep in Cuba.  ;)

• Like 2
  • LOL 19
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thesunset said:

It’s been almost 4 years but this gaze still gives me chills 

Ooohhh..I know what you mean(can't believe it's 4yrs already).

WS won't survive the next day with that look.

A part of me got chills when I saw him looking at WS like that.

Ratings: 

7.5% 

P.s

Spoiler

All shows aired today decreased too.

• Like 12
  • LOL 4

OMG Chingus! I can't wait to watch the episode tonight. Thanks to all recappers and those posting pictures and stills.

@bebebisous33 Your hands/feet analysis is outstanding. I did wonder about a lot of those shots in the first episode. I always felt her succumbing to the sleep on JH's shoulder, while her heel fell to the ground below as symbolic. All mixed in with her getting her purse taken. Her own little way of shedding the person she always had to be for everyone else.

@africandramalover I also really loved your analysis of the camera and broken lens. JH was a bit passive before, but it was by choice. He chose to live life through his camera lens and books. Until he met someone who inspired him to become more of an active participant. Whereas, JWS is passive because that is what is expected of him and he has settled into that expectation.

2 Small Insights...

JH's father is also very observant. You get the feeling he knew JH was the ramen guy when they watched on tv, he just didn't say anything. Also, when JH was in Sokcho and HI came by to see him, even though she already text him the picture, he seemed a little cautious around her. Friendly, but cautious. He probably saw that she liked his son, but knew his son didn't share those feelings.

JWS confronting JH yet again and declaring SH as "his woman" is the epitome of passive aggressive. So basically, he CAN speak up for himself when he is in front of someone he feels superior than. There is just one problem, CSH is JH's woman. Not in theory, but factually. Bless his heart. Maybe if he says it out loud and insults JH, he'll feel better. He really does get the daesang for the "Too Little, Too Late" award! :expressionless:

• Like 9
  • LOL 9

@gumtaek Why is he (both of them really) so cute?!?  I can't wait to watch it with subs so I can actually understand all the cuteness :blush:

And on a totally different note: Can we rename WooSeok to WooSuck?  Cause he sucks.  A lot. 

I'm not surprised, necessarily, that he's going down the same path as mother and father, but it makes me so angry that he's decided to pull the same shenanigans that his mother started the drama with-- trying to wrest control of Donghwa from SooHyun so that she would be forced to come crawling back to the family.  When instead he could do some self-reflection like the grown man he is and figure out why SooHyun keeps rejecting his advances.  What person in their right mind would think "Ah ha!  If all my sweet gestures to help her don't make her fall for me, then I'll just steal her life's work.  Then she'll really love me." 

giphy.gif

I'm also wondering what the heck WooSuck's mother is doing?  I'm sure she's quite aware that her son has essentially lost his top with jealousy now, and probably predicted that being one of the outcomes if SooHyun continued in her relationship with JinHyuk.  But I don't quite understand how letting WooSuck buy up the majority of Donghwa shares is going to help the lawsuit she's bringing against SooHyun?  Wouldn't his actions be seen as predatory if reviewed in court?  I know nothing about law, so perhaps not, but it seems like a mistake...

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

I demand the BTS when SH was drunk,I bet it would be hilarious :lol:

Despite the ratings,the story itself more,more,more beautiful every episodes n it get more positive reviews..

BOYFRIEND FIGHTING!!

Oh,I've been wanting to ask this why ratings always devide by nationwide n seoul?n why nationwide rating always a little fall behind seoul rating?

• Like 12

@yonaomi123: JinSoo's visuals and chemistry+relationship has a STUPEFYING EFFECT" on me. My adrenalin was on an all time last night after watching Episode 11 and yes, it murdered my sleep or to put it more precisely, I was so full of the JinSoo couple that I didn't need to sleep at all! :D

• Like 11
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, nubianlegalmind said:

JWS confronting JH yet again and declaring SH as "his woman" is the epitome of passive aggressive. So basically, he CAN speak up for himself when he is in front of someone he feels superior than. There is just one problem, CSH is JH's woman. Not in theory, but factually. Bless his heart. Maybe if he says it out loud and insults JH, he'll feel better. He really does get the daesang for the "Too Little, Too Late" award! :expressionless:

Regarding this part. I just want to ask at which scene did he say this? I just watched the eng sub in Viu and he didn’t say “his woman” when he confronted KJH. The translation was “the woman i love at first sight and i am still in love with”. Thanks :D

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, I don't know whether the wolf is SH's ex-husband or more symbolic of the various forces ranging against JH and SH's relationship, including the disapprobation of the public, Taeyang Group, SH's ex-husband, the Director who covets SH's position, JH's family's concern, or even SH's uncertainty of their relationship.

This is really possible. :thumbsup:

Forgive me, @bebebisous33 and @NongpeeP if I seem like I dont want to give up hope with WS “turning over to the light”. Maybe I just always want to see the good in people. My fault :joy: 

Please do not mistake this, however, of me shipping WS and CSH. Because thats a NO NO. I just want him to accept and let go. :ph34r: Although I wanna smack him senseless in this episode.

• Like 10

My heart almost stopped. Why mention a poem with terminal illness? :cry:

like a bad omen i fear now the worst for ep 15-16. Korean writers love way to much storytelling with a long separationen near the end or deadly illness. I thought, this is a (romance)-Drama not melodrama. 

But i saw the last 2 ep to many subtil signs. :crazy:

Ex-husband... i liked him a lot in the first episodes. His character was so interesting  and i feeled so bad for him. His mother is such a horribly person, so i can understand where he is coming from. But i stopped to feel sorry for him, as SH told, she smiled the first time at the day on her divorce. She don‘t even remember at the details, what her mother-in-law did awful to her, but will never forget how her husband was standings next to her und watching this for years. And buy her bags und jewels the next day... idiot. Maybe the marriage was arranged, but SH sure tried to make it work. He dissapointed her und lost her trust for life. 

WS know SH to well and everybody can see, how happy she is right now. 

But what did the idiot do in ep11? He wants her come back? In this miserable life... i mean nothing has changed. Not really. He go‘s to JH und declared war. He knows how much the Hotel means to her and now he wants to force his way in the hotel and her life. Great!!! :angry:

take the Hotel as hostage and sperate her from the man she loves, so she can come back to you and your lovely mother and of course ...a depression life. 

Maybe he should remember, why in the First Place he came up with the Fake-affaire and gave her a way out and her freedom back. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3