[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Watch the episode live and all I can say is: wow, it is surely worth the wait.

For those who want to see HD clips (really, naver have most of the best moments in this episode), go to https://tv.naver.com and search the korean name of the drama (or in this case of episode 9: https://tv.naver.com/v/4940447/list/294323). Those outside Korean may not be able to watch clips so you can use intermediary site like /qdownloader.net to download clips.

A whole episode filled with lovely couple moments whether they are together or separated. I am really impressed with PGB when he plays a sad, lonely JH. He really looks like he is 30 with all the loneliness and burden on his shoulder. The scene where JH read the greeting card from SH and touch the letter like he is touching her, it is really emotional.  And the look in SH's eyes when taking picture of the painting (Where, in What Form, Shall We Meet Again) is so sad. Poor JH, he missed SH so much that he hurriedly runs towards to hug her.

I have one little complain: the hugging scene by the end - something is missing and I can't pinpoint exactly. Is it because he doesn't hug her tightly at first or pulls her to him- with the hand gesture, it is more like the hands are placed behind her back latter in a separate shot. Or her hands are still in her pocket while he runs towards her rather than take it out and holds him at the same time - it may look better than she takes her hands out of her pocket to hug him latter?. I mean, the visuals of PBG and SHK are good, the scenery is beautiful but the hug scene does not really look as intimate as I thought - it is just safe. I love the scene leading to that, when they look at each other and JH runs towards SH  their expressions are on-point but after that, I feel the hug is quite like technical acting; even the facial expression. It is compensated by the final scene with the book though.  

About HI and WS in this episode, I reserve my comment until I watch with sub so that I don't judge them in haste

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

I had to ask myself how I missed this vital information. I agree with you. I would love to see a scene where SHK strategize and outthink the ex-MIL because reading what you posted made me appreciate the brains of the latter. No wonder she was able to maintain her power for so long. I have to hand it to her (even though i hate her) the strategy of trapping the entire family for business and political purposes is damn smart. Not that I like it. I suppose I had to praise the writer for writing such a great drama and not just the actress.

As much as I also dislike MIL, it is impossible not to admire her strategy!  She is a seriously dangerous character who knows what is going on.

I liked the way that CSH mirrored her, though, when they each caught on to what the Director was up to in backstabbing each of them.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I have never liked any sad drama at all but Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's thorough acting make me wanna watch more and more

- how far they can challenge their acting in each scene; and

- how amazing they can make audiences deeply feel their Kim Jin Hyuk's and Cha Soo Hyun's.

Scriptwriter can create more and more tortured ones because I have had vaccine to bear any stories because I wanna watch more Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's splendid acting.

I said "crazy" and other rude or praised words many times because Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's acting is too good to create Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun.

PBG-cry.jpg

PBG-Cry1.jpg

Spoiler

PBG-cry2.jpg

SHK-1.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

I have one little complain: the hugging scene by the end - something is missing and I can't pinpoint exactly. Is it because he doesn't hug her tightly or pulls her to him- with the hand gesture, it is more like the hands are placed behind her back latter in a separate shot. Or her hands are still in her pocket while he runs towards her rather than take it out and holds him at the same time - it may look better than she takes her hands out of her pocket to hug him latter?. I mean, the visuals of PBG and SHK are good, the scenery is beautiful but the hug scene does not really look as intimate as I thought - it is just safe. I love the scene leading to that, when they look at each other and JH runs towards SH  their expressions are on-point but after that, I feel the hug is quite like technical acting; even the facial expression. It is compensated by the final scene with the book though.  

I think it probably looked “odd” because of their height difference? I mean SHK is in 5 inch stilleto boots but she can’t really wrap  her arms around PBG’s neck without PBG having to bend his knees. So that’s the best way for them to hug perhaps?

IDK, I LOVED the scene tho :wub:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

I feel the hug is quite like technical acting; even the facial expression.

Well, I wouldn't blame them for that. Imagine how freezing that place is. I would be screaming for blankets and heater if I were in their shoes and also, he's wide lol her pretty hands wouldn't wrap him whole.

I noticed BG's hands being dry also. 

For them to act in the cold, that's a feat I applaud them over. :)

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

I have one little complain: the hugging scene by the end - something is missing and I can't pinpoint exactly. Is it because he doesn't hug her tightly at first or pulls her to him- with the hand gesture, it is more like the hands are placed behind her back latter in a separate shot. Or her hands are still in her pocket while he runs towards her rather than take it out and holds him at the same time - it may look better than she takes her hands out of her pocket to hug him latter?. I mean, the visuals of PBG and SHK are good, the scenery is beautiful but the hug scene does not really look as intimate as I thought - it is just safe. I love the scene leading to that, when they look at each other and JH runs towards SH  their expressions are on-point but after that, I feel the hug is quite like technical acting; even the facial expression. It is compensated by the final scene with the book though.  

About HI and WS in this episode, I reserve my comment until I watch with sub so that I don't judge them in haste

I did feel the same too.  And I think it's because of the multiple shots and slow motion combined with the normal-paced running.  It killed the atmosphere,  at least for me.  

• Like 6

This drama really was made for me (lol, I am not self-centered, I swear)

Never in my wildest dream would I expect them to see a movie about Vincent van Gogh (one of my favorite figures in history/art) and for them to actually play Vincent by Don Mclean (one of my favorite songs)

Oh, my heart

Can’t wait to watch again with English subs

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, mellinadear said:

Well, I wouldn't blame them for that. Imagine how freezing that place is. I would be screaming for blankets and heater if I were in their shoes.

I noticed BG's hands being dry also. 

For them to act in the cold, that's a feat I applaud them over. :)

Oh I don't blame them for sure when they have to film in very cold weather near the sea like this. Especially when the filming schedule is very tight. Just that if only the scene is a little bit more emotional, the episode would be perfect. I am a very strict viewer, I know that :)

The scene where JH runs towards SH, I remember asking myself how many times did PBG have to run like that to film? Poor boy.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I think it probably looked “odd” because of their height difference? I mean SHK is in 5 inch stilleto boots but she can’t really wrap  her arms around PBG’s neck without PBG having to bend his knees. So that’s the best way for them to hug perhaps?

IDK, I LOVED the scene tho :wub:

I like Kim Jin Hyuk's hug when he touched and stroked Cha Soo Hyun's hair like she is a little girl he often praised her cute. Kim Jin Hyuk knew that Cha Soo Hyun said in the phone to stand still but Cha Soo Hyun can not bear her own yearning and drove to see him, he valued and treasured her missing actions with his extensive hug. 

I like Cha Soo Hyun who has different height from her boyfriend but she tried her best to raise her feet, in order to hug him tight and warm herself with his hug, even she has worn high heeled shoes already. 

PBG-Hug2.jpg

PBG-Hug3.jpg

PBG-Hug4.jpg

Spoiler

PBG-Hug5.jpg

PBG-Hug1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Aigoo...1st we analyzed and dissected the kiss...now we're appraising the hug :D

Close Up Shots of the hug are beautiful

ijk5N9Z.jpg

jUcf9md.jpg

I thought everything was beautiful...the height difference was a factor but their emotive acting, the cinematography and the OST made up for it.

• Like 7
  • LOL 15

Thanks a lot for all screencaps and translate, my heart flutters by just reading some translations.. 

they watched vincent van gogh movie? is it at eternity's gate? I watched loving vincent and it made me sad knowing about his life.

Csh likes paintings so the movie choice is right.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

Just that if only the scene is a little bit more emotional, the episode would be perfect.

Haha..don't worry, I get you.

It was ok for me though. Maybe when I watch a second time, I will see what you mean.

For those who wanna read the Live cap 

https://www.dramamilk.com/encounter-episode-9-live-recap/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1