[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

5 minutes ago, jl08 said:

While waiting eagerly for the next eps, I took a look at the press con again and gosh, the PD seems to be really in awe of the chemistry between SHK and PBG!

When the PD was asked how he cast the 2 leads, he said SHK and PBG came to his mind because both are able to express their emotions extremely well and that he has no other actors in mind at all. When asked about their chemistry, he said that it's so awesome that if viewers view the couple's chemistry through the eyes of the cameraman at the scene of their acting, they're likely to be shocked by SHK's and PBG's superb chemistry! PD said that it's the FIRST time that he had seen such awesome/superb chemistry! He regrets that he's not able to convey everything (all of their interactions) into the drama. He really looked like he wanted to hug both of them....lol. He kept looking at them when talking about their chemistry.

When some reporters mentioned that there were reservations about SHK and PBG taking up their roles due to SJK connection ie some fans might not be able to accept their couplehood....the PD was so confident of our OTP's chemistry that he said once the drama starts, that feeling/reservation (about SJK connection) will disappear completely! He emphasized that whatever is the reality outside the drama should not pose an issue at all.

I could see SHK looking shy when PBG said that she's beautiful in every aspect (warm-heart, caring etc). It's remarkable that PBG had to look at SHK for affirmation when he said that they've become closer now, and SHK nodding and smiling in return. I think PBG is being respectful when he asked SHK for her thoughts on that. My thinking is that he did it so as not to appear too presumptuous on his part, that they have become closer through the drama interactions.

About the age gap, the PD said that it's not the main focus; rather, the main point of the drama is about how  two very different persons managed to make sacrifices and work on their differences to make their relationship work, showing each other their thoughts and emotions and encouraging one another along the way. Rather than having deliberate ways to bring out certain feelings, the PD said that he would go by his lead couple's interactions and chemistry and that would lead to a more natural outcome.

Summary : The PD loves both PBG and SHk....he kept looking at both of them.   :D

The message is to focus on the warm, touching and romantic love story.   :wub:

Wow if the director himself felt that way from the start then it must a guarantee about their chemistry..n yes I'm agree I don't feel that 'connection' between them becz I'm enjoyed their performance as an artist that convey their work with professionalism..

They r not just love by the other cast n crew, but also us, as their fans that love their work together.. 

• Like 10

@jl08 Thanks for sharing about the press conference.... I was a bit sceptical when I first watched the press conference and director was asked about how he felt about pbg and shk and their chemistry.. now I realise the director was being totally honest and , to quote him , " I am not just saying this merely becos they are my actors in my drama ' 

He also said that all directors have a dream production .. and that he is currently working on his dream production right now .. how lovely 

Hi everyone .. finally unlurking.. been following the drama closely and truly loving it .. thanks for all the analyses and discussion .. this drama is not particularly exciting in its storyline but  i love the way it has been written and the approach the production is taking . It should be slowly favoured and rewatched ( several times, heh ) to appreciate it, in all its beauty and artistry ... rooting so much for Jinsoo and they MUST have a happy ending or I'm going to stop watching kdrama <_<

Thanks again everyone for all the sharing and insightful discussions !

• Like 18
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jl08 said:

While waiting eagerly for the next eps, I took a look at the press con again and gosh, the PD seems to be really in awe of the chemistry between SHK and PBG!

When the PD was asked how he cast the 2 leads, he said SHK and PBG came to his mind because both are able to express their emotions extremely well and that he has no other actors in mind at all. When asked about their chemistry, he said that it's so awesome that if viewers view the couple's chemistry through the eyes of the cameraman at the scene of their acting, they're likely to be shocked by SHK's and PBG's superb chemistry! PD said that it's the FIRST time that he had seen such awesome/superb chemistry! He regrets that he's not able to convey everything (all of their interactions) into the drama. He really looked like he wanted to hug both of them....lol. He kept looking at them when talking about their chemistry.

When some reporters mentioned that there were reservations about SHK and PBG taking up their roles due to SJK connection ie some fans might not be able to accept their couplehood....the PD was so confident of our OTP's chemistry that he said once the drama starts, that feeling/reservation (about SJK connection) will disappear completely! He emphasized that whatever is the reality outside the drama should not pose an issue at all.

I could see SHK looking shy when PBG said that she's beautiful in every aspect (warm-heart, caring etc). It's remarkable that PBG had to look at SHK for affirmation when he said that they've become closer now, and SHK nodding and smiling in return. I think PBG is being respectful when he asked SHK for her thoughts on that. My thinking is that he did it so as not to appear too presumptuous on his part, that they have become closer through the drama interactions.

About the age gap, the PD said that it's not the main focus; rather, the main point of the drama is about how  two very different persons managed to make sacrifices and work on their differences to make their relationship work, showing each other their thoughts and emotions and encouraging one another along the way. Rather than having deliberate ways to bring out certain feelings, the PD said that he would go by his lead couple's interactions and chemistry and that would lead to a more natural outcome.

Summary : The PD loves both PBG and SHk....he kept looking at both of them.   :D

The message is to focus on the warm, touching and romantic love story.   :wub:

If I read this summary before I start watching Encounter / Boyfriend, I am one of people who can not believe that Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo will have chemistry on screen.

How can the lead actor and the lead actress with the 12-year age gap and relationship thru SJK will make audiences believe in their character of couple in melodrama?!? 
At that time, I read this news with presumption that PD might be too confident on his choice. My wall was very high and I firmly intended not to watch Encounter, not even a single episode. 

However, I read this Press Conference summary again after I have watched Encounter 8 episodes with keep on rerunning, I read with nodding and smiling to much more than agree and realize what PD meant on the Press Conference.

Thank you PD who is very confident in Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo and dare to insist this casting even the preliminary response might be strongly objected.

Thank you any presumptions and prejudices which made difficulties for Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo till they both have attempted much more in order to overcome such massive obstacles. Audiences can feel Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's endeavor to survive with their utmost acting. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

As I rewatched, I also notice it seems like JH knows HI feeling that’s why he friendszone her in episode 8.

Example, when HI confessed to JH that she the one calling CSH about his transfer, he answered : I would do the same , we are friend anyway , you can see the sad face of HI.

Also I love how CSH character started to change. Sec Jang said CSH never cry and hold burden herself , but three times we saw CSH cried ( one is after the art gallery with JH, one is behind the camera and one is at the masquerade event) all associated to JH. CSH is reserved , warm but cold outside started to learn to express her feeling more and even she isn’t really vocal with her feeling but we know how deeply she fall in love with JH.

진짜, how can I wait till next wed

• Like 17

On 12/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Striking is that this time, CSH is symbolized as the sun. In the former drawings, JH was often linked to the sun. I think that this time, the reversed situation can be easily explained:

Thank you so much for the very detailed analysis. I was actually waiting for your post about the art. I was wondering why while there was the sun, the background is dark. I just figured since the boy was crying thats why its dark but couldnt figure out why its dark when the sun was shining brightly.

Sorry for just responding now. I was traveling when you posted this and didn’t have the time to read the long posts.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Thank you so much for the very detailed analysis. I was actually waiting for your post about the art. I was wondering why while there was the sun, the background is dark. I just figured since the boy was crying thats why its dark but couldnt figure out why its dark when the sun was shining brightly.

Sorry for just responding now. I was traveling when you posted this and didn’t have the time to read the long posts.

You're welcome. :)

CSH as sun represents his source of strength. For JH, it was a painful decision but the sun gave him the courage to make this decision. Moreover, the sun can be seen as a guide... in this darkness, he can see where he needs to go or what he needs to think about CSH's position. Moreover, the sun corresponds her actual position: she is the CEO of Donghwa Hotel and around her, the employees and director Choi are not "working" for her, rather against her.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NongpeeP said:

Thank you any presumptions and prejudices which made difficulties for Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo till they both have attempted much more in order to overcome such massive obstacles. Audiences can feel Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Kyo's endeavor to survive with their utmost acting. 

It seems the struggle from antis is not only feel by shk and pbg themselves but also our jinsoo, we can see how much burden, rumours around our jinsoo, they even separate between seoul and sokcho now and take us 2 weeks to know their news. :tears:

@bebebisous33 you make me pay more attention to the art and I realize even the art has the story involved. What a drama!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the updates

Regarding PD’s wish to include all their interaction in the drama, I hope we at least get to see a very extended BTS when the DVD is released :)

And is it too early for me to wish that PBG and SHK get to work together again in the future? :sweatingbullets:

• Like 14

12 hours ago, tamanh nguyen said:

As I rewatched, I also notice it seems like JH knows HI feeling that’s why he friendszone her in episode 8.

Example, when HI confessed to JH that she the one calling CSH about his transfer, he answered : I would do the same , we are friend anyway , you can see the sad face of HI.

Also I love how CSH character started to change. Sec Jang said CSH never cry and hold burden herself , but three times we saw CSH cried ( one is after the art gallery with JH, one is behind the camera and one is at the masquerade event) all associated to JH. CSH is reserved , warm but cold outside started to learn to express her feeling more and even she isn’t really vocal with her feeling but we know how deeply she fall in love with JH.

진짜, how can I wait till next wed

I like KJH’s character about his friendship. It might be healthy for their friendship that KJH is decisive and has clearly spoken HI is a friend. As close friends, one might feel more than a friend but another can treasure friendship by clear expression with solid line of friendship, rather than being ambiguous or even worse by giving hope.  

CSH’s character started with keeping her emotions and her own needs deeply inside. CSH’s change might start from a little thing like going to playground, asking whom KJH talked on the phone at 12.42, requesting KJH to join ramyeon on weekend, and the turning point to pre-relationship when she cried so hard&appear in front of the paint around KJH’s neighbor.

• Like 13

Hi everyone~

thx for your updates.. really in love with our jinsoo couple:heart: so sad that this week no episodes new but I'm understand that this give the cast and crew more time to work and catching the live shot with some rest I hope..

I love every thing in this drama, and the one I liked the most was the OST that release in each week..  @gumtaek I happy bout the news that OST Part.5 by O.WHEN to be released today. O.When hv a nice voice and previously he sang the english  song for OST Where Stars Land. at least we can have a new ost song this week while yearning our couple that we must waiting until next year to see the next episodes.:blush: Cheer up everyone~

O.WHEN (오왠)- [Mystic World] Where Stars Land (여우각시별) OST Part 5

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It will be a looong week for us. Lets keep this thread active and enjoyable guys. I'm ok they decided to give time for the crew to work. Quality of the drama and our beloved cast health is more important.

I hope greedy JH will strike again. More kisses scene in ep9 please since you  make us longing for 2 weeks PD nim... :P

• Like 9

I have never liked sponsorship indirectly shown in K-drama but 

I started to pay attention when we can see KJH&CSH in Subway or KJH&dad in CoffeeBay due to public location.

:D:wub:

Ps. Casts and Crews have worked non-stop no matter during Christmas and in very cold weather. New Year is coming but they might have to work as Ep9-10 will be on air Jan 2-3. 

Fighting!,  Park Bo Gum, Song Hye Kyo, PD, Scriptwriter, Casts, and Crews.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

It just occurred to me that CSH crying at the end of episode 8 was the first time JH saw her cry (IIRC), and what does he do? He wipes away her tear and kisses her. Jinsoo FTW :wub:

And remember the flirty CSH we all witnessed in Episode 2? I hope we get to see her playful side again. Please drama gods, make it happen 

• Like 13