Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

On 12/21/2018 at 1:25 PM, yonaomi123 said:

@kingkong72 your scenario is calling for SooHyun to decide that WooSeok's silent sacrifices are worth re-entering a household where her MIL actively despises her.  :sweatingbullets:

If she did remarry WooSeok, wouldn't that essentially send him the message of:  "Ah.  I don't have to actively work at making the relationship between her and my mother better, as long as I do these little protective acts behind her back."  So far as we've seen, SooHyun responds best when people are direct with their words and actions.  (go back and rewatch the potato pancake scene and the 'woman I'm talking to is my mother' scene)

I agree.  There might have been a possibility that SHK might have considered restoring somewhat of a friendly relationship with JWS if he had told her of the sacrifices he made for her prior to meeting KJH.  However, once she started down the relationship road with KJH, there would be no going back to JWS.  She is feeling what it is like to be truly loved and cherished.  What woman would want to go back to the so aptly stated by @yonaomi123 "toxic" environment, after experiencing real love?  JWS has a lot to answer for in my opinion.  How many times has he made SHK cry?   His lying about having an affair regardless of intention still terribly hurt SHK and caused her to cry.  It is written, "Be very careful if you make a woman cry because God counts her tears."

It is also written, "The woman came out of a man's rib.  Not from his feet to be walked on.  Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal.  Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."  I think KJH's love has spoiled her from ever going back to JWS. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leedonghaek said:

Yesss I also thought we were gonna get a kiss after the hug. Glad it didn't happen coz my heart was already doing all the weird somersaults just seeing them in each other's arms. I needed it to calm down first. :D

cr : summergum_

Actually i felt they -figuratively-  kissed in this hugging scene :wub: i find it powerful. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, krisan said:

thistle I just can't stand for it.

It also happen on mydramalist, they keep ranting how boring, cliche, no chemistry and bla...bla...bla..., and finally giving low rate on it. I know we just need to ignore but, can we just commenting about how interesting the drama is,  so that those negative one will sink and finally difficult to find on the surface? :D

I can't stand it either.  But some people just enjoy being nasty and they think that they can take out their aggression online facelessly.  I do Not believe that this is acceptable.

For years I was a moderator on a different large forum, so I've seen what trolls can and will do; and I've had to deal with them.  Fighting back generally makes them feel more powerful.  But when they are ignored, they tend to run out of steam.  

There is an old saying from my part of the world:  Never mud-wrestle with a pig.  The pig will enjoy it, and you will just get dirty.  I think that this is true for internet haters and trolls, too.

So save your energy for something happier.  We can all enjoy being blissful about Encounter right here.

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 5

I am inspired to write today after reading through the last few pages of this thread.  I think that perhaps the logical direction and progression of CSH/KJH's relationship should be that as they face the inevitable obstacles and challenges brought on by all of these outside forces, that success for them will not inevitably be attained through self-sacrifice alone but instead by them recognizing that they are a couple and in acting as a team, they will overcome all foes to their love.  In my humble opinion, it would be great that as their communication and intimacy grow, they will learn that they each have strengths and weaknesses.  Through working together in concert, they can take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses to defeat the people that are trying to hurt and separate them.

This show has become a horrible addiction for me.  When I first came to this thread, I saw that many of you had watched the episodes like 5-6 times.  I am already like at 7 times for watching the episodes and it will continue.  It is not like I am catching anything new details.  Instead, I think it is more about being addicted to the feelings of euphoria I receive as I experience their growing feelings of love for each other.  It brings me back to the excitement and elation I felt when I first met and started dating my wife.  From our uncomfortable first meeting, the nervousness of asking her out on our first date, to the surprised ecstatic feeling when she suddenly kissed me for the first time (she was probably getting impatient for me to make the first move since I was being so tentative).  As the OST says, it's a beautiful day when we watch our OTP together.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@twtwb @icyphoenix @stroppyse @philosophie @alekaonu @dukesa1122

Striking is that this painting from Kim Whanki is also referring to "encounter", since his title is "Where and in what way will we meet again". What also caught my attention is the structure of this painting. As you can see,  the painter drew a lot of squares with different sizes and colours. The squares could be seen as picture frame. And now we can understand why the episode started with this drawing.

Spoiler

That painting makes me think they were lovers in some past life , that's why they were fated to encounter ( our "form"/ physical aspect changes in each life - according to his belief in reincarnation), that makes their love even deeper ! an eternal love :wub: ...

Meaning that separations can't be avoided :( but in their case they will be temporary :blush: (i'm trying to be positive) 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

I am already like at 7 times for watching the episodes and it will continue.  It is not like I am catching anything new details.  Instead, I think it is more about being addicted to the feelings of euphoria I receive as I experience their growing feelings of love for each other.  It brings me back to the excitement and elation I felt when I first met and started dating my wife.

Yes , I’m rewatching it already 5-6 times. This is the second time I’m watching the korean with that addiction. My first time was with autumn in my heart.

Every time I watch , I feel like my heart is about to expose with full of emotions. 

I was a fan of SHK for long time and haven’t watched any PBG projects but I’m sold to PBG emotional expression in episode 8. 

This guy acting with the sad look on his face including back hug, the kiss scene just convinced me enough to feel  he is definitely yearning for her and miss her so much. 

Arghhh ,  I just want to scream and yell to everyone that this is it , my most favorite classic korean drama of all time.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, krisan said:

Yes he misses her so much, He is like cinderella-man and mr. Nam is the fairy-man :P when he looked at csh he thought the midnight will come and has to get back to his real life (sokco) that's why he kissed her.

Ahhh these two.

@krisan I love your reference but I don’t think that Manager Nam is the fairy-man.  He is the carriage.  In fact, didn’t he become a pumpkin at midnight?

:innocent:

• Like 3
  • LOL 16

50 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

I saw that many of you had watched the episodes like 5-6 times.  I am already like at 7 times for watching the episodes and it will continue.

I haven't re-watched any yet.  But maybe I'll enjoy doing that on Christmas Day.  :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

This show has become a horrible addiction for me.  

Cheers to that! As for me, I cant even count the times I’ve rewatched it. I rewatch the 2 episodes each week until a the next week. 

I read somewhere that they will be releasing some episodes, probably cuts or reruns this Wednesday? Is that true?

I’m planning on watching the 8 episodes straight this Christmas. 

Talk about addiction and obsession? :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

A Very Merry Christmas to the whole BF/Encounter family on Soompi. I hope that each and everyone of us has a fabulous New Year. 

Very happy holidays to you, too!  :)

• Like 6

16 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

Totally agreed with you, let this reliable and external research as the Korean Business Reserch Institute announced Brand Reputation Ranking from the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community index how high Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo can really be recognized. 

Statistics might be able to speak out loud than keyboard hustler/ manipulator. 

Park Bo Gum’s and Song Hye Kyo’s great acting is one of crucial factors to create Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun in audiences’ mind with amazing response and splendid reaction. :blush:

• Like 11

Since so many others have been re-watching, I thought that I would, too.  

Perhaps someone has already mentioned this, so I hope I am not repeating.  One of the things I really noticed strongly when I initially saw the first episode is that JH was taking black&white pictures in Cuba.  I wondered about that very much because Cuba is such a colorful and lively place.  Black&white is great for "art" pictures but why wouldn't someone use color photography when everything around is so vibrant?  

But as I re-watched, I noticed that the beginning scenes with SH were in black&white until she encountered the fairytale artwork that forms the frame for the animated scenes we see during each episode.

There seems to be an interesting parallel there.  :)  Perhaps we could say that SH and JH bring color and liveliness to one another's worlds that wasn't there when they were alone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, thistle said:

Perhaps someone has already mentioned this, so I hope I am not repeating.  One of the things I really noticed strongly when I initially saw the first episode is that JH was taking black&white pictures in Cuba.  I wondered about that very much because Cuba is such a colorful and lively place.  Black&white is great for "art" pictures but why wouldn't someone use color photography when everything around is so vibrant?  

But as I re-watched, I noticed that the beginning scenes with SH were in black&white until she encountered the fairytale artwork that forms the frame for the animated scenes we see during each episode.

There seems to be an interesting parallel there.  :)  Perhaps we could say that SH and JH bring color and liveliness to one another's worlds that wasn't there when they were alone.

I only thought of it in b&w because the camera he was using was and old cam that can only take b&w. Before it was given to his Father by a friend, that friend owned it. So it is probably more than 28 years old.

But your theory might also be right. Adding to the fact that b&w photography can significantly add emotion to a picture

• Like 5

In episode 1, when JH said if they could meet at the cafe at 9am and he has a question to ask CSH , I’m wondering what was the question he wanted to ask her.

will the writer reveal in the end or do they just leave it like that??? 

Im very curious about this.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I only thought of it in b&w because the camera he was using was and old cam that can only take b&w. Before it was given to his Father by a friend, that friend owned it. So it is probably more than 28 years old.

But your theory might also be right. Adding to the fact that b&w photography can significantly add emotion to a picture

The first camera I had was from even earlier than JH's, and it took both color and b&w film.  Perhaps others know much more that I do but I think that most cameras, unless they are very old (like maybe before the 1940's), are adapted to both color and b&w film. 

B&w pictures have a very different mood to them, and it can add a great deal of emotion.  But they can also be very somber.  JH seems like a very thoughtful person but also someone who appreciates color, so I'm still not sure why he would literally take all the color away from a trip to Cuba that he had worked so long and so hard for.

23 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

In episode 1, when JH said if they could meet at the cafe at 9am and he has a question to ask CSH , I’m wondering what was the question he wanted to ask her.

I'd like to know that, too.  My guess is that the writer wants to leave us with something to wonder about, so that we will keep coming back until we find out.  :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thistle said:

I love this point. The way I see it: despite being a well-adjusted 29 year old with a lovely family and all, there's an undercurrent of loneliness in JH as well. Not sure how to put it exactly, like he is hiding behind the camera or in his books while watching other people live. A spectator rather than an actor... same with learning what love is by reading about it rather than experiencing it first hand... When the little girl asked him to dance his reaction was very similar to SH's later that evening. So when he drags her out to dance it's not only her world that is changing but his as well.

PS: I think this is also the reason why he responds so strongly when seeing her walk by on the way to the ferry.

When it comes to lonely hearts it takes one to know one. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

7 minutes ago, charlieblue17 said:

I love this point. The way I see it is that despite being a well adjusted 29 year old with a lovely family and all there's an undercurrent of loneliness in JH as well. Not sure how to put it exactly, like he is hiding behind the camera or in his books while watching other people live. Same with learning what love is from a book rather than experiencing it first hand... When the little girl asked him to dance his reaction was very similar to SH's later that evening. When he drags her to dance it's not only her world that is changing but his as well.

What a great way of seeing it!  I think you're right.  We know that JH was lonely as a kid because his parents were very busy working and that was how he ended up in the library when he got tired of playing games.  The camera was supposed to be for his parents to take pictures of him but instead, he took pictures of them--that indicates some isolation and a kid who is taking responsibility before he really has to do so.  We also know that he has been through some sad times because his mother was ill and in the hospital for a month.  (Of course, I have to wonder just exactly what she was in the hospital for--I hope it was nothing either deadly or emotionally problematic.....but knowing how dramas tend to go, it is very likely to be either.) 

In his own way, JH was likely also shut off from the world because, as you so sagely say, he has been hiding behind the camera and in books.  And maybe he was doing that to hide the pain.  Certainly when his camera is broken in Cuba, he denies to accept payment and doesn't really indicate how devastating this is for him.  After all, when he later gives the camera to SH, he acknowledges that it is his most important possession.

I wonder if JH would have thought to ask SH to dance if the little girl hadn't done the same thing for her earlier.  

You made some great points that made me think more.  Thank you!  :)

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

The note JH left on the cafe notice board for SH might make an appearance later in the story. I imagine she ends up back in Havana alone, misses him, goes back to the cafe and finds the message. I think that he wanted to say that he would like to keep in touch. Or he was grasping at any excuse just to see her again.

• Like 12