[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

1 hour ago, yonaomi123 said:

A knight in shining armor come to rescue the damsel in distress?  That kind of applies to both SooHyun and JinHyuk toward each other lol

I think they are very equal in that regard! :D

What I love about this drama is that even though the roles / characters are reversed. They still have some important traditional elements!!

JH pursues SH and basically courts her! He often takes the lead! Even though it's SH's car, he drives her most of the time! He does a lot of manly things for her! offered to cut her meat (This is a Korean drama thing but I'm classing it under chivalry) Held her hand, back hugged her, pull he in for a kiss! I just love all this manly stuff! 

• Like 16

Someone in here mentioned that this is not a show for lazy viewers. There are purely entertaining shallow (don’t mean it in a bad way) shows that are good for after a hard day at work. Ans there are also shows which show so many symbolism it deserves multiple viewings. For some of us, Encounter falls in this category. I am not as astute in my observations but I like to repeat scenes just to catch the expressions and small actions of the actors. Even when JH said I missed you, I’ll watch first time for the subtitle, the second time to look at his eyes and expressions and the third time to see the other person’s reaction.  So thank you @bebebisous33 for the analysis. I really enjoy them. 

I said before I came into the show for SHK and I didn’t mind PBG because he imprsssed me so much in I Remember You. I remembered how good looking he was, yet so eerily and chilly he could be. Then that facade fell a little to reveal a boy who yearned for love. 

From that cold-faced lawyer to this ever-smiling JH, at first I didn’t get used to it too. But as the show proceeds, I get it. As @charlieblue17 and @thistle pointed out, deep down JH could be lonely. And I agree. For someone who grew up in a loving home, with parents who tried so hard to provide, the young JH could only return the love by being the good boy, by showing he’s fine and he’s ok even when he wasn’t. His solace was books where he could dive into another world. Outwardly, he has to stay positive for his parents, and be the best he could. So to me, his smiles are just a mask to put on a brave front  to show others and even himself, that the world is good. That’s he’s happy with the way things are. I’m not saying he’s unhappy though. Just that his smiles are used to hide all the negative feelings he has, if any. And then I came to forgive the too-broad smiles. Because he used it to compensate the loneliness and whatever negative feelings he had inside. 

From his lies to his Mother, we know that as loving and calm as his family is, it is only so because of the effort of being the ideal son JH tried to be, despite his own desires. Hence, beneath that, JH could never be really truthful about his wants and needs, for fear of hurting his parents and the dynamic of the family. 

In a subtle way, JH is similar to SH.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Though my heart goes to JH's mother, i can't blame him and won't force him to tell the truth.

His mother is the typical old fashioned, whose idea of a family and relationships are confined in a box, can't think out of the box and will never treat her child as an adult no whatever age it is.

Maybe JH is testing waters and find it not the right time to tell the truth.

At the father and son talk, the father is receptive and perceptive . Even he said something about love indirectly, his father understood him. I don't think this will be the case with his mother. We still don't know his mother's reaction in situation like this. She maybe calm and funny outside but when triggered emotionally, she maybe like an erupting volcano.

Things are happening fast for JH. How can you handle pressure from a first regular job and a first love at the same time?  Its stressful and he is dealing with this all alone. CH knows only half truth. And the only thing she can assure JH is their relationship.

• Like 17

Wow so many beautiful analysis which i would have never noted watching the show!! Thanks everyone 

Reg. JH's mother, I am pretty sure that she is going to find out in Ep9  - she is shown thinking in the preview..I think Monster inlaw or her aide will threaten JH mom in Ep 9 . Have to wait for 10 days to find out !! 

This is my first Noona romance,and while the pairing is great , am wondering why the show decided to highlight the age gap ..coz JH is behaving way to boyishly ( esp first few episodes) and CSH would appear much younger if her side hair isnt pushed back behing the year or if she has longer hair..I think the PD deliberately wanted to show CSH as older and mature though in reality she looks much younger than her age ..soooo pretty:love:

And I also love the slow burn romance..the hesitant hugs and first kiss..takes everyone back to their first!!brings back the giddy feeling:wub:

Also, earlier I saw some of you discussing her earrings and I have found them online at sooo cheap prices:D:D ( am sure they are knock offs but am ok for the price)

Here's the link below if anyone wants to buy 

If you are in Korea , you can buy them here ..I bought from this site..will update with pics , if anyone wants ..

Options 7 and 8 - about 3$ each 

http://www.wemakeprice.com/deal/adeal/4227374

For those abroad, I found in aliexpress - they ship to almost all countries for free ( coz they are from China!!!) - about 2.5$ each!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MENGJIQIAO-2018-Korean-Hot-TV-Series-New-Style-X-V-Shape-Chain-Tassel-Earrings-For-Women/32959590417.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.38533c00mk4Rer

PS: I am no way affiliated to any site nor endorsing them :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I agree with most of everyone points regarding JH. The more i look at it I think JH is actually the type of person who will not share his burden. He will not tell anyone his pain and his sorrows. He is very carefree and bubbly type of man who always looks happy and buried all his worries inside. Remember he said 'our relationship has become truly special now' after he shared with SH his secrets. In the other words he just not the type who will tell anyone even to his family and friends about his life. Even leader Mrs Kim frustratingly angry at him because JH didn't tell her about the Sokcho transfer. He didn't even tell SH :tears:. Luckily HI told SH or else I think SH will furious if she found out about it after coming back from busines trip.

I think this could be one of conflict can happen between JH and SH in future. I hope JH can be more open with SH if anything bad happen to him again. Remember when SH feel relieved how JH didn't lie to her in Ep 2 about his neighbourhood elderly barefoot climb the mount. There are other situation too which I can see that JH honesty and sincerity are the things that make SH attracted to him but I can't recall it. Ya actually I do feel bad when he lied to his mother. He is such a sweetheart and try to protect everybody but at the end he will hurt himself more if this continues.

• Like 16

Another point is each  created obstacle actually helps to progress their relationship..

1. Internet news article... made them to spend time together in sokcho which made jh realize his feelings

2. Company false article .. helped jh to make csh realize the nature of their relationship n that jh is serious about her.. made her also acknowledge their relationship

3. Press conference.. made csh bold

4. Sokcho transfer.. accelerated their relationship. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. gave us hugs n kisses :wub:

So in effect if it weren't for these obstacles they wouldn't have gotten this far so soon.. :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, JH never had a true childhood. He was forced to mature very early, to become an obedient son in order to help his parents. His pictures and books became his real companions. Since he never gave his parents any trouble, he had a certain freedom (arcade for a while, then the library) but he definitely had his own boundaries, especially due to his younger brother who caused a little some trouble to his parents. His isolation was different compared to CSH. He had friends (HI, DC) but he could never confide to them. I guess, he was not really aware of his isolation. I also think that he used to walk to the "open gallery" in his neighborhood or to that tower in the middle of a field alone and not with his friends. Hobbies like poetry, paintings or taking pictures are not the favorite hobbies of the younger generation. This also explains why he can connect so well with CSH. Despite the age gap, they are closer in their personality.  

What caught my attention is that JH keeps lying to his mother: about the transfer, about the shoes... Deep down, he must have this feeling that his mother won't like that he is dating CSH, a celebrity who is older and even divorced. To me, his mother keeps seeing him as a son and not as an adult. This close relationship with his mother is not good either.   

@bebebisous33 Thanks for sharing this insight.

It's true that JH's being left alone by his parents to tend after their fruit store is a lonely lot. But I don't think he was scarred by it. I based it on his warm and loving relationships with his father, mother, an younger brother  individually and as a family (those are some of my favorite scenes). I can imagine Cha Soo Hyun tearing when she sees this family warmth.) From the way he interacts with his parents, I believe that he never doubted their unconditional love for him. I say the same with his dynamics with his dongsaeng and with his hyung. There have been not so many scenes between JH and his Moon Snails hyung but I see it coming in the succeeding episodes. Based on the character description of his Moon Snail hyung, he will be one of JH's protectors.

The upside with being left alone was he developed his love for books, particularly books about the humanities. These gave him a sensitivity toward the human condition, a psychological facility to sympathize and empathize with people.

I also believe that JH only lied to his mother about dating CSH. I believe he was transparent with her in everything else. I saw though that he is closer to his father and asks him to mediate whenever JH has to tell his mother something unpleasant. What prompted him to lie?

Remember that scene in Episode 4 about the ramyun scandal news on TV which his family saw. Note the reaction of his Mom: 

This was her reaction to JH's younger brother's comment "I'll do anything to meet a woman like her."

sH4dXXD.png

amRETkr.png

Given his Mom's reaction, I understand if in the meantime, he will not disclose to her the real score.

Good news! From Good Data Corporation

On the 4th Week of December

Most Buzzworthy Actors

#1 Park Bo Gum

#Song Hye Kyo

Most Buzzworthy Drama

#4 Boyfriend

http://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=201812240100166850012359&servicedate=20181224

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 12:55 PM, bohmi said:

On 12/20/2018 at 2:52 PM, dvrels said:

Looks like CSH will fight back the ex-MIL, can Yoo Ah In cameo as CSH lawyer to take care things between Taegyeong, it will be definitely awesome haha *it just my wish*

or Park Hyung Sik as CSH lawyer because his last role is a lawyer :D

--

Aah yes you are right, I forgot about PHS as lawyer in his previous drama, well it's better to have two lawyers to go against ex-MIL, hahaha

22 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

CSH has already signed the contract with the hotel on Cuba. But the hotel has not been remodeled yet. So the Cuban branch of Donghwa hotel is already existing but the hotel itself is not opened yet.

However, CSH will be facing a lawsuit soon and I believe that at the end, she might lose her position as CEO of Donghwa hotel but the hotel on Cuba could be what she can keep. First, the contract stipulated that the garden is left untouched... if the new CEO develops new plans, the contract will be annulled. 

Can her father help CSH about Donghwa hotel? I wish her father elected so he can help his daughter to keep what is hers.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

For Christmas, I spend time reruning Encounter/Boyfriend, the first time I watched to read the subtitle, rerun to enjoy beautiful scripts, and appreciate Park Bo Gum&Song Hye Kyo's amazing acting. There have been more and more reruning to watch KJH's and CSH's gesture and facial expressions.

When I rerun Encounter Ep1 after finish watching ep8, I found out more dimensions to feel surprised for detailed acting, thorough script, and spendid photography, Encounter/Boyfriend is like a piece of gorgeous art indeed.

I found that KJH and CSH showed their boyfriend and girlfriend  here and there; for example:

-  When KJH asked CSH why she has not used his BD lipserum yet and convinced with spring reason.

Lipsserum1.jpg

-  When CSH asked why KJH has not used her necktie and asked him to move the existing one and tied her necktie for KJH.

necktie-1.jpg

-  CSH called KJH that she wanna meet him at his PR division. You know what I mean boyfriend and girlfriend might meet each other's collegues sometimes in order to see what she/he's going on there and whom he/she is working with. 

PR-team.jpg

-  KJH asked CSH about oppa's care, CSH guessed it might be protection but KJH showed his jealousy by asking why it is not support (to support sister with her boyfriend), rather than protection. (to protect sister from boyfriend)

oppa.jpg

With CSH, KJH speaks from his mind to her. For example, when he insisted that he will post at new location by tomorrow, he mentioned that his concern for this reloation is he can not run over to meet CSH when he missed her as he used to do, this is what he really did to measure the distance between Seoul and Sokcho when he was informed to relocate from such spy man. 

Spoiler

distance.jpg

miss-you.jpg

By the way, I noticed from social network that due to strong worth of mouth and great response from medias/SNS, there are much more audiences who will spend Christmas and new year by starting to watch Encounter/Boyfriend and is screaming about KJH&CSH.

For the audiences who have already watched, they are starting rerun.

As a fans of this Encounter and Park Bo Gum (also appreciate Song Hye Kyo from her acting in Encounter), I am glad to realize that ther are  much more audiences to enjoy this artistic drama

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

In the discussion about the art in the drama, I don't recall anyone pointing out ep4..

We start with a picture of the girl and boy, holding hands, surrounded by snakes. Well, hello there! Mother and Mother In Law!

48418542_10156514785025412_1340926293465

At the end of the episode, the snakes recede...

49039927_10156514785460412_1971640041859

Snakes, poor creatures that are the scapegoat for all the evil in the world...

In this episode,

- MIL tells the artist not to deal with CSH, and her ex sorts out the issue while telling MIL to keep off.

- The lackey approaches HI to post the article. She refuses.

- MIL and Mother plan to push CSH dad to merge the parties. MIL even throws in the "You can treat me as your in-law" line as bait for Mother.

- Mother gives CSH the gift from MIL. Mother sends her a message from MIL when she tells CSH, "what do you think this gift means? It means she has her eyes on you and you better behave!"

- The Secretary (I don't like her, sorry, not sorry) meets with KJH to warn him about playing with CSH heart and messing up her life. She also wants to return the lipstick. She has the best interests at heart, but she is the biggest cockblocker with her concern for CSH. If her suggestions had succeeded, our couple wouldn't be together!

- The backstabbing employee posts the article about CSH on the intranet...

- The director and MIL plan how to use the article to bring down CSH at the board meeting.

- The director accosts CSH in the lobby to confront her about the man she's taking advantage of with her status. KJH,  in his most epic takedown, immediately cuts thru his BS and the episode ends with CSH smiling.

there are multiple snakes around the two, whose plans are taken down by the end of the episode and the snakes recede in the ending animation. Yay!

Someone mentioned the use of picture frames. I wonder why they used this shot (can't remember the episode)

49013980_10156514785515412_6785938054394

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

tenor.gif

nh76br2dokzw.jpgrv728vnpqbgr.jpg

8g6ezfbyy913.jpg

tumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio1_r1_400.giftumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio4_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio6_r1_400.giftumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio7_r1_400.giftumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio9_r1_400.giftumblr_pk5hcqlolu1xkntwio10_r1_400.gif

kdramanewbie:

“My greed has no limit. I want to have tea with you. But once I do, I want to enjoy a meal with you. I want to tell you my stories. I want to tell you how I feel. I want to hold your delicate hands. I want to hold you in my arms.“

3yF2Wmw.gif

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

@africandramalover Actually, I had written two very long analysis about the drawings, the first about the representation of JH and CSH in the drawings

and the second 10 days ago under the topic of nature.

Now, I would like to add another observation. In the episode 1, we see the castle and the princess. The latter leaves the castle and wants to take her carriage. However, we are shown a huge forest composed of thorns and brambles. Encounter 1 sleeping beauty.png

On the other side of this forest, there is this young man reading. In his world, the sun shines brightly which is the total opposite of CSH's world. The forest as impassable border could be seen as a reference to the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty.

Since CSH had never been able to live her life, she was actually like a sleeping walking beauty. Therefore she suffers from insomnia as she is already sleeping. The appearance of JH can be compared to the prince who entered the woods. In the fairy tale, 100 years have passed before the prince can show up and see Sleeping Beauty. Here, there is another similarity. CSH needed to wait for some time before JH entered her life, although they had met before. 

Finally, in one of my former posts (the one quoted above), I had pointed out that the enemies are often represented as natural elements (snakes, waves). This underlines that the obstacles our OTP will face are just natural phenomenons and reactions. And now we have this insurmountable frontier, the forest full of brambles and thorns. The forest serves as border between the two different worlds JH and CSH are living but at some point, JH will enter her world.

But let's take a closer look to the drawing from the episode 7. Encounter 7 drawing JH tear.png

Unlike the last two drawings, we can observe two huge changes: the return of dark colors (dark blue) indicating that the hostility and the burden have increased a lot. Not only the sky is dark but also the young boy. This illustrates the sadness and darkness of his thoughts. The young man is crying too as a tear appears. JH is now facing a terrible situation which makes him sad. Striking is that this time, CSH is symbolized as the sun. In the former drawings, JH was often linked to the sun. I think that this time, the reversed situation can be easily explained: for him CSH has become his "adoration", she is now in the center of his life. He worships her but as you know, the sun is very far away which seems to be insurmountable. For his "cult", he must sacrifice himself. But the tears turn into stars.  Encounter 7 drawing tear star.png And in my opinion, the stars representing the tears can be perceived as signals that his sacrifice will be noticed and all this won't be in vain. The stars belong to the sky and they are closer to the sun. CSH will hear about the transfer and even if she comes to accept it, JH's decision leaves a bigger impression on her. He decides to leave her in order to protect her.

And this is where I would like to compare this situation to JWS's sacrifice. JWS left CSH in order to free her... he did it out of love (he believes that he loves her but he just loves the image of CSH, the ice princess). He never told her his true intention. However, this is where the similarities end.

1. JH was forced to change his workplace, whereas JWS was never forced. He thought, he had to.
  2. Secondly, JH gave many times signals that something might happen and CSH should focus on the happy memories so that they overcome this burden together. JH wanted to create more good memories hence he took a picture of CSH and him together. Then in the episode 8, they date for the first time officially. JWS never took a picture of CSH, while they were married, not even during their trip to Portugal. He just has the picture of CSH before she became his wife and this is significant. This outshines that JWS lives in the past and he just loves the image of CSH, the celebrity and the ice princess.
  3. Thirdly, JH never lied to CSH, he just hid it from her in order to protect her. JWS lied to CSH: he even paid someone in order to create the rumor that he was cheating on her. JH never asked anyone to get involved. Funny is that the moment JH is sent away (JWS expected CSH to stop the transfer), JWS believes that CSH is not madly in love with JH because she accepted the transfer and thinks, he still has some chances to woo her again. That's why he visits her office and declares that he likes her. I said funny because deep down, it reveals that JWS's gesture (getting a divorce) was not a real sacrifice on his part because he can not imagine that JH would sacrifice. JWS saw his own action as a momentary situation... he had imagined that they would go back together. He just wanted to wait for some time. So this was not a real sacrifice as in his mind, CSH would remarry him.
  4. However, he made a huge mistake as he decided everything on his own, while JH talked about it to CSH. He convinced her that this was the best for both of them. She would maintain her integrity and he would come back on his own effort and merit so that people can no longer gossip about a young man seducing a rich older woman. JWS used the rumors and gossips to destroy his marriage... our OTP does the opposite.

@twtwb@alekaonu @icyphoenix @USAFarmgirl@celebrianna @dukesa1122 @stroppyse@xu_lyfe@philosophie

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Behind the Scenes Encounter Ep7-8

Tight Hug,

KJH pated CSH's head,

KJH kissed CSH's forehead,

KJH stared CSH and CSH smiled back. 

:wub::heart::love:

and the last scene is Happy New Year from Park Bo Gum.

During Welfie, it is cute that Song Hye Kyo started to make her face boo and pig first and Park Bo Gum followed her

... Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo, haha cutie and comfortably close after shooting for a couple months from day to night time. 
https://tv.naver.com/v/4861133?

hugkiss6.jpg

hugkiss7.jpg

HNY-PBG1.jpg

Spoiler

HNY-PBG2.jpg

• Like 15

Yay for the new BTS!

The captions said they had a never ending selca session.

giphy.gif

My question is who do we need to beg just to get their selcas? Why isn't TVN uploading their photos? :D

And the forehead kiss..

giphy.gif

I don't even know what to say anymore. I love Jinsoo couple. :lol:

my gifs are so LQ (been a while since I made gifs haha) but it can't hide their chemistry. lol

Thanks tvn for feeding us today. It's still a long way to go before ep9.

Btw, Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3