Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

It warms my heart to read comments that they love this drama as much as I do.

I was a lurker for a long time too!

20 minutes ago, noonainwaiting said:

"You know when your in the middle of work, or you're asleep, or brushing your teeth, I find myself smiling alone thinking of these memories."

I just love this line so much :heart:

Please show how you love this drama by voting. We are less than a hundred leading. 

Choose the kakao logo to register (its in english)

https://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/poll/9320

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

It warms my heart to read comments that they love this drama as much as I do.

I was a lurker for a long time too!

I just love this line so much :heart:

Please show how you love this drama by voting. We are less than a hundred leading. 

Choose the kakao logo to register (its in english)

Done! 

@all I love all your thoughts, analysis, theories about this drama. I love, love, love this drama so much. :wub:

• Like 8

I just loved the way he prepared even the small details for the party, he knew she would want a mask that would cover her whole face, and the notes he took were so sweet, unlike her ex husband who just ask someone to find out how she was dressed, like if she was going to be dancing in the middle of the platform. This guy does not know his ex wife

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

If she did remarry WooSeok, wouldn't that essentially send him the message of:  "Ah.  I don't have to actively work at making the relationship between her and my mother better, as long as I do these little protective acts behind her back."  So far as we've seen, SooHyun responds best when people are direct with their words and actions.  (go back and rewatch the potato pancake scene and the 'woman I'm talking to is my mother' scene)

From that standpoint, I find it hard to believe that SooHyun would return to a man who struggled before, during, and after their marriage to tell her the most of basic of things... such as "I like you."  Even if the JinSoo couple does not stay together, I don't see any evidence that just because WooSeok made sacrifices for her and "loves" her, that would lead to SooHyun deciding she owes it to WooSeok to marry him again.

Edit: Maybe I'm just being too rigid?  But being in that toxic house again might cause SooHyun to need more than sleeping pills to get through the day...  I don't think anyone's silent sacrifices are worth needing to take pills, but that's just my opinions

There's about 8 more episodes to go to end this drama. I really think that somewhere along the way the Director and Writer will inject a twist to the story. I really can't imagine the Director and Writer going through 8 episodes of pure feel good scenes between CSH and KJH. The twist I am throwing is a possibility of a love triangle between WS, CSH and KJH.  This twist in all likelihood will break the heart of a lot of viewers. But then again, isn't it that most korean dramas are full of twist and turn? In order for WS to pursue CSH successfully, he has to breakaway from his Mom. He has to show everyone, CSH included, that he is a man of his own. If he can't breakaway from his mother then he won't be able to get back CSH. That is like a pre-condition. Until now we haven't seen a segment where CSH has expressed her true feelings with WS while they were still married. All the previous episodes were telling us that she lives in a toxic household because of her MIL. What if CSH learned to love WS also? 

That's all for now folks. I'm not trying to be the Grinch to your Christmas holidays. Sorry to the CSH - KJH shippers. I still maintain that this scenario is a wild one that may eventually happen. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

No worries!  You’re not being a grinch @kingkong72!!! I fully agree with you regarding the possibility that a twist will occur, especially because I’ve been surprised in some fashion almost every episode.   We will just agree to disagree.  :) 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, kingkong72 said:

There's about 8 more episodes to go to end this drama. I really think that somewhere along the way the Director and Writer will inject a twist to the story. I really can't imagine the Director and Writer going through 8 episodes of pure feel good scenes between CSH and KJH. The twist I am throwing is a possibility of a love triangle between WS, CSH and KJH.  This twist in all likelihood will break the heart of a lot of viewers. But then again, isn't it that most korean dramas are full of twist and turn? In order for WS to pursue CSH successfully, he has to breakaway from his Mom. He has to show everyone, CSH included, that he is a man of his own. If he can't breakaway from his mother then he won't be able to get back CSH. That is like a pre-condition. Until now we haven't seen a segment where CSH has expressed her true feelings with WS while they were still married. All the previous episodes were telling us that she lives in a toxic household because of her MIL. What if CSH learned to love WS also? 

That's all for now folks. I'm not trying to be the Grinch to your Christmas holidays. Sorry to the CSH - KJH shippers. I still maintain that this scenario is a wild one that may eventually happen. 

Sorry to break your wild guess , but WS is still one step behind in everything , and is still a supporting man no matter what haha. CSH is born for JH and vice versa.

look at the masquerade event and see how JH planned the event but also included the salsa performance , designed the mask himself for CSH knowing exactly what she likes and grabbed her hands right away in the dark while WS completely lost haha.

i hope our couple have a happy ending which is unlikely since the title of the drama is”Encounter” or “Boyfriend” which may indicate these two will just meet up , have sweet memories to keep for the rest of their lives.

• Like 11

Lot of people posted here how they think csh gonna endup with her ex. If that happens i swear i will drop this drama before it ends. I really cant watch sad ending kinda drama.. I go into depression and my whole month gonna be ruined.  Thats why i couldnt watch the last 2 episode of mr sunshine. I dropped it.. My tiny heart cant take it..

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

22 minutes ago, tshering12 said:

Lot of people posted here how they think csh gonna endup with her ex. If that happens i swear i will drop this drama before it ends. I really cant watch sad ending kinda drama.. I go into depression and my whole month gonna be ruined.  Thats why i couldnt watch the last 2 episode of mr sunshine. I dropped it.. My tiny heart cant take it..

I do not think that will happen--the love in this drama is so tender and so much like a fairy tale that it just has to come true.  Also, it has to be said, that trolls are gonna have a field day when they know that others feel the bite so they just keep trolling.  The atmosphere here has not been nice about taking sides because of the ex.

I also tend to drop dramas when the pain or the frustration gets to be too much (hey, I've even thought about dropping this thread).  If you feel like that, then I think that's a sign of a big heart rather than a tiny one because you feel the pain more, so be kind to yourself.  

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, tshering12 said:

I ageee and most likely I will do the same. We watch the drama to believe happiness do come to people who deserve it , and love can overcome any obstacles that these people are enduring. It’s not a fairytale since in real life I do see people actually  give up their status and wealth to be with the ones they love.

i can’t handle CSH tears as well as JH sad face on screen.

• Like 8

I believe this drama is filmed to make a point. This is not like any other drama where a girl and a boy meets, fall in love, have fights and goes right back together. This is so much more than that. It clarifies gaps among men and women in the society. This drama is like a starter pack. They show the people that this kind of love is possible and that this kind of union has been happening all around us and it is not different from any other relationship. Love is love. No matter the gaps or the differences. There’s no point to this drama if they wont end up together.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Annyeong chingu :D.....hmmm...i'm seldom posting here..but very2 love to read all chingu post here :D the plot twist maybe be happened but for WS and CSH end up together is a BigNoNo :lol: the reason i watch this drama because of song hye kyo and park bo gum a.k.a csh and kjh...we are lead to their beautiful love story until now.so i never see any possibility WS and CSH end up together unless PDnim decided to make this is like CSH dream at CUBA when leaning on KJH shoulder:P happy ending for CSH and KJH like in the main poster:wub:  

also loving their hugging and 1st kiss..so beautiful..:kiss_wink:

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

If the twist is CSH ending up with WS then I’d say this writer would probably be the worst. Why go back on the very world you’re trying to escape from,eh?

I doubt this will happen tho. As much as we know that WS isn’t all that bad, I agree that he is a step behind everything. What message would this drama convey if they were to reconcile? Besides, I just don’t see CSH’s character doing a complete 180 and falling in love with WS, not when episode 8 already happened.

Lastly, my clues to a happy ending with JH is that garden in Cuba. That old man said that the love began and completed there, if that’s not foreshadowing I don’t know what is. Oh, and is JH telling his brother that he might cry if he gets transferred abroad a foreshadowing too? 

• Like 12

With all the fuss about the kiss, it should be done in a dignified and respectable way, she's the ceo, they are in her hotel, in a public place with all eyes on them, so that was enough. How i wish the ex has seen this and it made some sense in his mind. WS might even have a plan for the night and invited reporters, to take pictures of them and publish to the world to see. But JH thinks ahead, always thinks ahead.

A 2ND time around with her ex?  Its like you have been released from your prison time and here you are again committing the same crime again and be prisoned again. WS did not loved SH. He didn't even respect her throughout her marriage. How can he be tight-lipped when his mother undendingly verbally abused SH?  He just let his mother do her thing. Even  in our life when we see someone experiencing  abuse, whoever he is, we extend our concern. What more if it is your wife. I just hate him. Hate is a strong word but thats the truth. And his actions now giving SH hints here and there, he is so arrogant.

Is money a big issue in their marriage?

In ep 1, when SH saw JH dancing in the street with the locals, she said, he won't take the money. And that made the first good impression for JH.

And as their 1st meeting progresses, she always asked if he has some money. 

SH was sold off for marriage. At 1st i thought its bec. of her father's politics but in the last ep it was revealed she was the debt's payment.

Maybe mil always put into SH's head that she is into that marriage not of anything else but as a payment of her family's debt. SH can't even buy anything without asking WS, and WS asking Mil. Its very apparent even the liberty of buying her own clothes was taken away.

But for JH in Cuba, he never hesitated. Even when his face showed he has little left on his pocket, still he never hesitated.

Encounter or boyfriend being the title enable us to think how far their relationship will take them. When SHK described her character, she said, upon meeting( i translate this as encounter) JH(i translate this as boyfriend), she found freedom and able to live the life she long for.

There are many obstacles but as in Cuba's motto "homeland( it means freedom to Cuban) or death: we shall overcome. They will overcome it, for love conquers all. Is there love bigger than JH's love for SH?  And as SH beginning to reciprocate that love, it will be a happy ending for them.

Happy holidays everyone!!!!!

Merry CHristmas!!!!

Edited by roshzanna
want to add something
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

i hope our couple have a happy ending which is unlikely since the title of the drama is”Encounter” or “Boyfriend” which may indicate these two will just meet up , have sweet memories to keep for the rest of their lives.

I fully agree with you that there's not going to be a happy ending simply because of the drama title. Encounter/Boyfriend title in a way is a gimme as to what will be the final outcome of the drama. It's like love at first sight that eventually flourished into a true relationship stage. It means that the relationship will stop at the Boyfriend stage. The Director/Writer gave us all those feel good episodes from Episode 1 to 7. Finally he gave us the icing of the cake which was the kissing scene in E8. All the viewers were ecstatic and were singing Hallelujah. However, after giving the viewers fluttering hearts, the Director/Writer suddenly becomes naughty and will give us viewers heartaches and pain on the succeeding episodes. A twist and turn that will give the viewers a chance to use their hanky to wipe off their tears. That is Korean drama at its best.

As to @tshering12  I sincerely hope that my wild scenario should it happen won't bring you into depression. I'm still rooting for a CSH - KJH happy ending but I really think that the Director/Writer has already put down on the table the cards that tells otherwise. 

Peace everyone.

• Like 1

We have our own views. And lets just discuss each episode shall we?

Good News. 

CSH + KJH kissing scene

500k+ views on Naver

lets make it to 1M :sweat_smile:

rape the play button:

https://m.tv.naver.com/v/4832419

Dont forget to vote for Encounter!

Poll will be until tomorrow!

Choose the Kakao logo (its in english):

• Like 10

I wonder if any of you are doing this, too. Have found myself compulsively re-watching the final scenes of three episodes now. The first was JH's rescue of SH when she was under public attack from the director. Could not get enough of watching JH walk across the room to her like her knight in shining armor. Then I couldn't get enough of watching SH rescue JH from the reporter's public attack by publicly admitting their "some" relationship. I love the way she smiles across the crowded room to him even talking to him with her eyes.  And now the final scenes of this episode with the OTP's  tender New Year's Eve first kiss.  Three perfect happy endings--hope this trend continues and we're heading for a brave, loving, tender feel-good ending like these for the final episode. 

I also hope that JH hasn't really gone missing, no lost memory tropes, no murderous chaebol MIL, please.  And happy holidays everybody! Thanks so much for all the analysis, speculation, gifs, translations, interpretations, fashion sources. I was happily researching Chaumet after someone posted the fact that SH's watch in Havana was Chaumet. Too expensive for me but felt very festive window shopping. :)

• Like 18
  • LOL 1

There is no way SH will end up with WS again :lol: 

I have been defending WS a lot but  I absolutely see no reason for them to get back together. Rather, I believe WS will be able to let go of SH completely and support her business; he needs to find his own life and freedom like SH. He also deserves having someone who whole-heatedly loves him - WS is someone who is capable of loving but the way he expressed himself is confusing - it is not good or clear enough. 

SH wasn't even herself before she met and married WS. That SH accepted living according to her mother's rule but the present SH doesn't. And once she experience love with JH, she can never go back. SH and WS had their chance but it didn't work out - their timing is over. I just want SH to know what WS did so that she will not resent him or no longer think she wasn't good enough for him so he cheated. Obviously, WS is not the one for SH and doesn't really know how to make her happy. 

I used to think PBG look so young compared to SHK even though I love them as JH and SH in this drama and feel the chemistry. Probably because JH was such a sunny boy in the first 4 episodes. But from the scene where JH was alone in this room, thinking about his feeling towards SH and grabbed a coat, took his bike out in episode 5, I started to notice how JH has such a serious, mature side to him. He gets even more manly and understanding as the story progresses from episode 6 to 8. In episode 8, I completely forget the age difference between them :) I wasn't familiar  with PBG's acting before; in fact I was a fan of SHK but I  start to really appreciate PBG's acting from episode 4 onward.

As for SHK, I feel her acting is underrated. Many care about her age and beauty, what type of makeup, clothing, hairstyle she has because she is herself is a brand. But I really love her subtle acting and how she always creates great chemistry with her co-stars. And how come she manages to be so beautiful in every angle? The scene where she and PBG have coffee in episode 5, looking straight to the sea is like a great picture. In fact, these two have great visual that each shot of them together is beautiful.

About previous for upcoming episodes,  I am not worry about JH going missing. If it happens in final episodes, it is a huge sign of trouble. But it is only mid-way so I believe JH will be fine; plus previews can be misleading :)

And I am ready for more kisses; the next one'd better  be more passionate than the first :phew:  But no bed scene, please, I hope ^^

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, beebeep said:

Regarding the rating of this drama, I consider it "very good" already given the negative reaction from a lot of audience when it was announced that PBG will be paired with SHK.

It's indeed very difficult to change the mind and perception of people actually...

There are some people who don't like the pairing of older woman with younger man (my friend is one of them and she's not a bad person. She just have a different preference and she just doesn't think that she can root for jinsoo couple). Other people doesn't like melo drama since it's less action so they call it boring. It's just a matter of preference and our preference can change over time as our situation changes as well. 

As for me, I'm surprised that I come to like this drama among all the other dramas airing. I typically would gravitate towards rom com drama such as "clean with passion for now" and I should have been drawn to MOA given that PSH is the first one that hooked me to k-drama. Nevertheless, it turns out that this "Encounter" drama is the one that I like the most at this moment...so to everyone who's new to this thread and wondering whether this drama is good and whether the pair is believable, I would say "Yes. You should watch few episodes of the drama and draw your own conclusion wether you like it or not. Here are my own reasons why I like this drama:

1. Light, fluttery, and warm - I don't need another stressful drama to add to my already stressful work 

2. JH and SH relationship - great chemistry and I like the slow burn romance

3. Feminism message - strong woman character, subtle message about going against people's prejudice 

9 hours ago, NongpeeP said:

Let me cut some part, I totally agreed with your post. I am one of audiences who showed strong objection after confirming the main casts with age gap and marriage status which might be quite difficult to make audiences believe in lovers’ roles. 

I intended not to watch even a single episode..

After the first epispde, praises abour interesting story, fresh script, great acting, and unbelievably amazing chemistry made me start watching some short clips and then I became a fans of this Encounter. 

For Park Bo Gum, I am so glad that he accepted this project because his acting is challenging and he can nail the role to create Kim Jin Hyuk alive and have chemistry with Cha Soo Hyun. 

For Song Hye Kyo, I am not her fans before but I appreciated her acting approach in this Encounter, I am blessed that Park Bo Gum chose this Encounter with Song Hye Kyo, rather than any younger actresses with less acting experience. 

I am impressed with story and script how the writer created this fairy tale in the current situation with reasonable circumstances and how Park Bo Gum&Song Hye Kyo made audiences deeply believe in their couple roles within just 8 episodes from KJH&CSH’s first meeting in Cuba till in relationship with longing moments in ep8. 

@beepbeep  i totally could relate your post.  i still could not convince some of bogum's fan to watch this drama.  Since they are not promoting at all,  i have to come out from my shell and retweet / post pictures.  i  not necessary to active in social media during MDBC, reply as there were lots of his fan will write in soompi and social media.  As @NongpeeP said age gap/marital status hinder people to watch the drama. i am glad rating is still  good and steady even not getting so much hype like his past drama.

( as someone did mention above - sorry i could not tag you.  they keep comments this drama "boring" to make people watch their bias drama. some even  promote their bias drama in encounter discussion topic. especially someone with many followers. i know what they are trying to do this drama in social media.)

For me, i believe in bogum (& SHK) , they can choose not to appear in any drama and bogum kept rejecting many dramas and movie after MDBC.  He is chemistry fairy. He can have  chemistry with any actress that he pair - yoo jung/ hyeri / goeun ( even a few scene with Yoona in Hyori home stay) and he stands out bromance with SIG in i remember you.

i must say again and again. thanks to you all - up to now, our thread is very fun with detail discussion from arts / acting / kiss ( i could not stay away from this thread at all).  Please vote and share positive comments to people out there how attractive encounter love story is .

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1