[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

17 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

I watch this korean youtuber who does reactions to every episode on Encounter and  she began the last reaction sort of complaining  about how there should have been a kiss scene when CSH agreed to start a “some” relationship with KJH during the ending of episode 5. 

The YTber jokingly wonders if this drama is going to end up having any kissing scenes at all. 

Am I the only one surprised why many people are not familiar with the “ssum” stage because that is something really common where I come from. Most lovers here dont automatically be lovers. They go through a process and thats what the koreans call it the “ssum” stage. In the “ssum” stage there is less to no skinship, so no kissing yet. This is where holding hands and maybe hugging happen. In this stage, the guy mostly does the effort of wooeing the girl. :wub:

@redbeanbuns I’m not surprised. Somebody posted about culture and she said most korean actesses retire after they marry or take up mom roles. Some get away with it just because their husbands arent that famous. Well, SHK basically married the brad pitt of asia, not that SJK didnt marry the Angelina Jolie of asia but you get my point.

However, I still hope they open their minds a little. I think this is also the reason why this movie is slow paced when it comes to skinship with our OTP, they might not want to shock the locals. :)

• Like 11

Getting to know you in real life would include that first kiss. So, yes, voting for it in reel life for our OTP too.  Can't imagine that JH is sexually inexperienced either?  He's sensitive but not inhibited or introverted. Hi maybe doesn't think he's dated but hard to believe it.  JH does all the romantic boyfriend things, wrapping his scarf, coat, gloves around SH, suggesting that romantic bike ride, the Some cake, the souvenir Christmas balls. Even buying her the sandals in Cuba after eyeing her feet and picking a pretty style.  The list goes on and on in the ways he's comfortable romancing. Even the lipstick is a pretty intimate gift. Hard to believe that after college, two years in the military, and a solo trip across the world that a handsome attentive unattached man hasn't had sex. He's not a monk. And SH is divorced. So, OK, maybe they're not ready to move in together but.... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

14 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Am I the only one surprised why many people are not familiar with the “ssum” stage because that is something really common where I come from. Most lovers here dont automatically be lovers. They go through a process and thats what the koreans call it the “ssum” stage. In the “ssum” stage there is less to no skinship, so no kissing yet. This is where holding hands and maybe hugging happen. In this stage, the guy mostly does the effort of wooeing the girl. :wub:

It’s not that the YTber doesn’t undertand “some” relationships but usually in k dramas where the girl and guy finally admit to liking each other there tends to be a kiss, especially with all the build up . CSH had been crying, KJH was restless while thinking of her and then they end up in front of this painting with a romantic poem and it’s in the middle of the night. The set up is all romantic so the writer could have used this opportunity to show more passionate emotions  between KJH and CSH. 

I don’t think anyone has to worry though if there will be kiss scenes, just go to TVN’s YouTube channel and look at the list of most viewed videos - it’s all kisses. The TVN audience seems to love kisses so I am sure the network will have to oblige. ^_^

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

I think thru our long disscussion in this forum, we already passed the-brother-sister-in-law relationship between PBG and SHK.. they've become uri JINSOO from the 1st episode. We watched them slowly convey they're feeling as KJH and CSH and that craftmanship skill we called acting. And for kissing or no kissing, i will leave my trust to the writer, who always make shocking ending in every episode. I do agree in ssum, they probably dont do that yet. But as the relationship progressing i think the writer and director will make beautiful kissing scene :kiss_wink:

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, ihyw said:

Getting to know you in real life would include that first kiss. So, yes, voting for it in reel life for our OTP too.  Can't imagine that JH is sexually inexperienced either?  He's sensitive but not inhibited or introverted. Hi maybe doesn't think he's dated but hard to believe it.  JH does all the romantic boyfriend things, wrapping his scarf, coat, gloves around SH, suggesting that romantic bike ride, the Some cake, the souvenir Christmas balls. Even buying her the sandals in Cuba after eyeing her feet and picking a pretty style.  The list goes on and on in the ways he's comfortable romancing. Even the lipstick is a pretty intimate gift. Hard to believe that after college, two years in the military, and a solo trip across the world that a handsome attentive unattached man hasn't had sex. He's not a monk. And SH is divorced. So, OK, maybe they're not ready to move in together but.... 

But I suspect that his actions are inspired by literature and not by experiences. Don't forget that he is a heavy reader and likes reading poetry. That's the reason why HI never thought, he would fall so quickly for CSH because he has never shown any interest for women. However, HI doesn't understand why JH spent a lot of time at the library and loves reading. Through books, he is learning a lot... books are a source of inspiration for him. He was physically attracted to CSH, when he saw her in that red dress. Red seems to be his favourite colour... he also preferred the red diary. Notice that he also chose a red cake with red Christmas balls. The lipstick is somehow between pink and red. HI is wearing rather black/white clothes.

Actually, it was a clever move from CSH and JH to declare to be in a "some/ssum" relationship. JH can not be stigmatized as a man seducing an older woman because they are not an official couple yet. CSH can not be criticized for her lack of decency and integrity because she shows some "hesitation" to begin an official relationship with JH. Moreover, it also illustrates that CSH has not been manipulated or seduced by JH as she is still in control of their relationship. JH can not be seen as a greedy man who wants to use his relationship to gain some power.    

• Like 13

Momster yells at CSH, wants to go to MiL and wants CSH to apologize for the momentary lapse in judgment. Says she is going to live for herself now. 

CSH is coming to meet KJH. He says the entire Pr team is there but she says she will come down and greet them too, since they have all been working so hard.

KJH is worried about the repercussions for CSH, but she is worried about how he would have felt without admitting to their relationship. KJH smiles and says it looks like they were worried for each other. 

CSH is hungry and teases KJH if he has more squid in his pocket, he says he has a piece of chocolate and it’s a coincidence that it was Mr Park who gave him the squid last time and the chocolate this time too. CSH says she is grateful to Park, KJH  wonders if Park is a a fan of his or CSH. CSH eats the chocolate, KJH says  he thought she would share. CSH asks if she should spit it out. KJH laughs and says he was teasing her.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 5

Some comic relief, Pr team members fighting to work with KJH but team leader ends up telling Hye In to help KJH.

Hye In says she thought CSH was really cool, she finally tells KJH about the reporter who contacted her with information about KjH. KJH wonders why they got in touch with Hye In since she is only a friend.

CSH texts him suggesting they grab a meal. He’a Waiting at the bus stop, ex husband wants to meet him but KJH says he has plans already. KJH asks ex husband why he is interested in their business, ex husband says it’s “concern as  an oppa”. Later in the car, ex husband talks to his secretary and says one could interpret “concern as an oppa” to be a feeling of love. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6