[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@bebebisous33 Ah.  Here is where we diverge in opinions then... I think he's changed somewhat, but not a lot.  I think he wants a win-win situation for both himself and his daughter, which I suppose is not inherently bad lol.  But while I want him to be a better than just not bad, I haven't seen enough evidence yet.  @dukesa1122 is quite right though, that people do change.  So I hope that SooHyun's father has changed as you say and he does help SooHyun get free of Taekyung Group. 

Similarly for SooHyun's mother.  I want (though I don't think we'll get it) for her to redeem herself and come to see the value of the mother-daughter relationship in and of itself, rather than a means to an end.  I have a little hope because of that little flash of humanity that streaked across her face, in that most recent talk they had in SooHyun's office.  But even if we don't get any sort of redemption for her (because not everyone can be or wants to be saved), I'd still like to know more about the origin of her fervor for the Blue House.  Was she an "avenger/3 musketeer" too?  Or was she always a shark looking for the best way to get to the next level? 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, roshzanna said:

Just my silly curiosity:D

1.Why do JH,  SunJoo( pr dept) and mil are all KIM? This is a just a drama and the writer can name them in anything out there. If this is something real, nothing can be done, it just happened that they are the same.

I think your question is really smart, Kim is the most common surname in Korea. It’s so common that in a population of 50 million, one in five people are named Kim. One in 10 are named Lee which is why the drama also has two characters with that surname.

Origin of the surname Kim

D87-F71-FC-9-A42-45-F5-98-A4-1-AFAEA5-FD

So there is a section of the present day population in South Korea who are direct descendants of this family hence implying royal blood. These are the “royal” Kims.

The rest of the people with that surname actually adopted the name Kim since it was not common amongst the commoners to have surnames.

2-F91-C96-E-60-D5-4-F20-8968-0-E0-F286-C

These are the “common” Kims. 

Since MIL and her son belong to the the most elite circle , they can be seen as the “royal” Kims and given KJH’s family background, they would be the “common” Kims. 

Drama writer probably used the name Kim to point out the irony that CSH’s Prince Charming isn’t the “royal” Kim but the “common” KJH. 

I also just realized something that had been staring us all in the face this entire time, Donghwa means fairytale in Korean. The writer really commits to the fairytale theme! So it becomes significant to note that when MIL threatens to take away Donghwa from CSH, she is actually threatening CSH’s fairytale. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

48 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

I also just realized something that had been staring us all in the face this entire time, Donghwa means fairytale in Korean. The writer really commits to the fairytale theme! So it becomes significant to note that when MIL threatens to take away Donghwa from CSH, she is actually threatening CSH’s fairytale. 

48 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Drama writer probably used the name Kim to point out the irony that CSH’s Prince Charming isn’t the “royal” Kim but the “common” KJH. 

If I was impressed on the details the writer paid attention to in this story then I am beyond flabbergasted now. I never actually thought Donghwa would mean anything in Korea. Damn! Just WOW :o :o :o 

• Like 7

Just a few Observations...

There is quite a parallel between HI and JWS. I think when JWS and CSH first met, he already had an idea in his mind the type of girl that she was. One, she was already different because even though she was the daughter of a politician, her looks and and life have made her get the "idol" treatment, which was echoed on the news program on tv when CSH was at the Sokcho hotel. JWS is used to dealing with women from elite circles, whose lives are controlled by their families, so they humor themselves with status, parties, shopping and making public appearances. Their money is their ONLY claim to socialite status, however CSH had that before her father moved up in the ranks. Then, after they got married, CSH methodically went about portraying the role that she was given and she never came around to him. She didn't love him. She didn't love his family. She wasn't someone who could easily be bought, and once his mother saw that she became evil towards her because she didn't know how to handle her. The watchful eye became bigger once CSH entered their family. We saw that in the opening montage with the cameras constantly following her everywhere. From the outside, she was doing everything right, she represented Taeyeoung Group well, she did what was asked of her, but no more than that. This in turn, made JWS miserable because she didn't fall in love with his status. So, he let her go and decided to watch and play the daddy long legs from afar, hoping that at some point, she would come around to him.

Then, there is HI, who has known KJH since middle school. He seems to be a couple of years older than her, but I gather that he is someone who has always marched to the beat of his own drum. He is smart, so grades weren't an issue. He is hardworking and not afraid of hard work, as he has worked for his parents, his hyung (whelk guy) and other odd jobs and has taken complete and full responsibility for his own life. He has not been a burden to his parents and he escapes the monotony of life, by taking trips to the library and reading books and poems. He also listens to the radio and takes photographs with an old camera, where he prefers to physically develop the pictures that he takes himself. He carries himself like someone who is much older and wiser. Because of this, his parents don't have to worry about him, or coddle him. HI has lived her life because she has no other choice. KJH has never even let on that he is interested in anything other than friendship with her. He's friendly, but he never does anything that would cross the line and give her the wrong idea. Even in her flashback when he came to her graduation day from high school and brought her flowers. He did it simply because he knew she would be alone, which she was. Their time together is usually orchestrated by her. She seeks him out at the playground because she knows he likes to sit on the swings and think. She seeks him out at the bar his hyung runs because he used to work there and enjoys spending time there. Even when he began working for Dongwha, I only saw him come up to her once and that was because she was walking by and he wanted to make fun of her. KJH has very safe and respectable boundaries with her. And in all of these years, which has to be at least 8-10 years now, she has gotten somewhat comfortable with him friend-zoning her because he wasn't dating anyone else. I don't think his standards are so high, he just hasn't shown any interest in women before now. HI hoped that whenever the day would come where he would seek companionship, she would be in the running because she was always hanging around him. As if all it takes is tenure with someone in order for them to start liking you,

Both HI and JWS have been passive aggressive in their romantic approach to our OTP, however, because of this, they don't really know them as well as they believe. I found HI's description of KJH to the co-worker that was interested in him, strange. She described him as someone she never saw argue with anyone and stubborn, which almost sounds oxymoronic when you think about it. Same thing with JWS, he picked out that ugly dress for CSH, who barely glanced at it before she asked her secretary to return it to him. He even made the comment to her about her going on a rest-stop ramen date in that incredulous tone because he would have never guessed that she would like something like that. KJH and CSH being together makes HI and JWS realize that they don't really know them as well as they thought. HI doesn't think KJH does anything besides work and read books. Here he was dancing to salsa music in Cuba and giving CSH midnight bike rides. Not only did CSH suggest the ramen date, but she enjoyed the public art walk outside and ate cherry cake after going on a bike ride. She slept on a stranger's shoulder in Cuba and walked barefoot on the street. You can't always wait for someone to realize you like them. You can't always hope that one day they will look your way. Sometimes you have to come face to face with them. Sometimes, you have to ask them who they were talking to on the phone at 12:42 in the afternoon. Sometimes you have to tell them that you came to see them because you missed them and wanted to see them. The honest and sincere simplicity of love between CSH and KJH is why they're in a some relationship and quickly moving toward true love.

Also, I get the feeling that the ex-MIL approached CSH's father on purpose. Her son said it himself, she is in the top searches online days after being photographed eating ramen. There is something intriguing and likable about her that people are curious about. One thing we do know is that Taeyeoung does not have a good reputation, which is why KJH was struggling getting celebrities to come to the Sokcho Hotel opening. They didn't want anything to do with it because it was a subsidiary of Taeyeoung Group. I believe the MIL hoped that CSH's celebrity and interest would make their company look better. She planned to use her to get an upper hand on their optics and social standing, which is why she demanded in the divorce agreement that she attend events like her birthday party. Simply put, they need her. Her ability to take a fledgling hotel and make it into a success and even establish a respectable rapport with the employees has thrown them for a loop. It makes it more difficult for ex-MIL to infiltrate and conquer because people aren't lining up to betray CSH. Even the slimy director is only participating because he wants to run things, but his stunt at the opening with the reporter may place him a few steps back. Then this move to merge the political parties so she can have everyone in her pocket is just dumb. CSH's father has let her know it is impossible and he seems exasperated with her demands and interference in his life as well as his daughter's life. 

Much life KJH's father, CSH's father seems to be quietly watching and taking note of things, without letting on that he's aware of what's going on. I think both father's will end up playing a vital role in Jinsoo being together in the future.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

To conclude, the director and the writer did a great job and planned a lot together. These rooms reflect a lot about CSH and JH's personality and life.

I noticed the paintings and the lighting but didn't really paid attention to the details of the painting except that it's usually gloomy and alone. I did notice the picture beside her bed. Do you have a still ? Im curious what she changed it to.

21 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

You can't always wait for someone to realize you like them. You can't always hope that one day they will look your way. Sometimes you have to come face to face with them. Sometimes, you have to ask them who they were talking to on the phone at 12:42 in the afternoon. Sometimes you have to tell them that you came to see them because you missed them and wanted to see them. The honest and sincere simplicity of love between CSH and KJH is why they're in a some relationship and quickly moving toward true love.

I love everything you wrote and read every single word of it but I had to quote this part. This is just something so sweet and liberating. And i'm so in love with this paragraph. :heart:

With you guys being very observant about all of this, I can't help but wonder. Are you also like this with other dramas? Dissecting every part of it? Or is it because this drama gives so much attention to detail that you guys cant help but notice? :lol: As a newbie, I'm quite amazed.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@jl08 You're welcome.cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532 

But now, I would like to add something about your observation:

That's why I haven't considered secretary Jang as a real friend and even resented her a little. They have a very ambiguous relationship in reality: casual because they have known each other for a long time but also distant. CSH has never confided to her and this is an indication that even in front of JMJ, CSH is not herself. 

From my point of view, JMJ was also someone who contributed to CSH's loneliness and suffocation. In that episode 1 you mentioned, the secretary Jang didn't want to eat at the rest stop because she had had a bad experience with a restaurant before. Indirectly, she was complaining about CSH. For JMJ, it is too bothersome if CSH leaves the car hence CSH says that she will stay in the car. As conclusion, the less moves CSH would make, the better it was for Jang. She had less trouble at work. As you can see, she put boundaries to CSH and sometimes it is for her own comfort. 

And let us not forget that she didn't want to spend the evening with CSH, when the latter asked her if she wanted to go to the Malecon Beach (over the phone). Jang rejected the idea saying that she should go there with her boyfriend. Actually, Jang was well aware that CSH had no boyfriend. She even added that she didn't want to spend time with her... especially after work. You can definitely sense that JMJ has the upper hand in their relationship. She knows that CSH has no friend hence JMJ can say anything she wants and if CSH threatens her to fire her, JMJ whines a little but deep down, she doesn't feel threatened. She even reminds CSH that she never accepted her resignation. All this illustrates that CSH was relying a lot on JMJ in order not to feel lonely. That's why the secretary is not pleased, when she discovers the relationship between CSH and JH. She even tries to work behind her back but this had no effect on JH.  

Totally agreed with your comment, Secretary Jang’s too much worry could unintentionally be CSH’s freedom restriction and burden.

Secretary Jang might overprotect CSH’s image as Secretary till CSH can not be herself and expresses CSH’s desire. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

With you guys being very observant about all of this, I can't help but wonder. Are you also like this with other dramas? Dissecting every part of it? Or is it because this drama gives so much attention to detail that you guys cant help but notice? :lol: As a newbie, I'm quite amazed.

I think of it like an Easter egg hunt where the director and writer leave clues allowing us to discover the magic of the story unfolding.  From the animated opening and closing foreshadowing events in the episode to the wonderful synopsis @bebebisous33 provided about the OTPs rooms and how it expresses their lives.  I hope the director and writer appreciate us looking for and discovering these wonderful little morsels.

• Like 12

L the language to translat'Boyfriend' Song Hye-kyo ♥ Park Sook-gom, a homemade dating alone ... 'Excited' [channel reservation]   <Boyfriend> Song Hye-kyo - Park Bo-gom enjoys a date with the house alone. She is sitting on the couch and taking a self-portrait. 

The TVN drama "Boyfriend" who is spreading full of warm melodic sensibility in the house theater has revealed the appearance of Jinhyuk (Park Bo Seng) who visited the house of Song Hye Kyo ahead of the 7th broadcast. 

In the
last six times, Suhyun surprised the people who participated in events such as Kim Hyung-jin (Cha-hyeon) and Suhyunmo (Nam-ki), who officially recognized it as a "Som Tha Sai" on the question of the reporter who is pushing the existence of the scandal into stalking. As a result, it is predicted that the pressure of Kim and others around him, who regarded the relationship between Suhyeon and Jinhyeok as his eyesight, will become more intense, raising questions about the future development. 

Among these, Steele focuses attention on Jin Hyuk who first visited Suhyun's house and Su Hyun who welcomes him. Suhyun is pleased with Jinhyuk with a smile. Therefore, Jinhyeop responds with warm eyes and induces cardiac tremor. Especially, the two seem to be happy just by looking at each other, and they are doubtful of those who look at the smile on their lips. 

In addition, Suzy and Jinhyeon in the succeeding steel have a time of two o'clock and catch their eyes. Suhyeon and Jinhyeok, who sit side by side and smile with a smile on their face, are exciting to see. Above all, the two men have not been free from the surrounding gaze. I feel the affection toward the opponent in the figure of Suhyun and Jinhyuk who concentrate on each other and spend time, and the interest to romance which two people grow together will be amplified. 

In addition, in the film, Song Hye Kyo - Park Bok, a black fantasy breath with the completion of the scene to raise the thrill index, causing the thumbs of the field staff, the expectation is further heightened.

The production crew said, "There are many obstacles awaiting the love of Suhyun and Jinhyeok, who admitted the relationship at the official ceremony and took their first steps with difficulty. Soo Hyun and Jinhyuk who handed their hands will tell how to cope with this through the <Boyfriend> broadcast. " 

On the other hand, <Boyfriend> is a sensual melodrama that starts with an accidental meeting of Suhyeon, who never lived his chosen life, and free and clear soul dedication. Today (19th) at 9:30 pm <Boyfriend> is broadcast seven times. 

Online News Team sportskyunghyang@kyunghyang.com.....source @https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=144&aid=0000587832.....credit to @bogumtestimonial

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo Enjoy A Romantic Date At Home On âEncounterâ

Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo Enjoy A Romantic Date At Home On “Encounter”

Dec 19, 2018
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Encounter” has unveiled new stills of Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo from its upcoming episode!

On December 19, the romance drama released new photos of its two leads spending some quality time together at home. Although the stills show Kim Jin Hyuk (played by Park Bo Gum) visiting Cha Soo Hyun (played by Song Hye Kyo) at home for the very first time, they both look completely relaxed and comfortable around one another, gazing happily into each other’s eyes and posing for a cute selfie together.

Notably, the scene gives Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun the rare opportunity to be completely alone, with no one else in sight. So far, the two lovers have always had to worry about the inquisitive gaze of others, but their date at home allows them to focus solely on each other.

Spoiler

On the previous episode of “Encounter,” Cha Soo Hyun shocked everyone around her by publicly announcing that she was romantically involved with Kim Jin Hyuk, in order to defend him from accusations of stalking.

The producers of “Encounter” commented, “[Cha Soo Hyun] took the difficult first step of publicly acknowledging their relationship, but there are countless obstacles lying in wait for Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk’s love. To find out how Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk, who have taken each other’s hands, will be able to move forward and overcome these obstacles, please tune in to ‘Encounter.'”

The next episode of “Encounter” will air on December 19 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1280089wpp/park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo-enjoy-romantic-date-home-encounter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

All Headlines

'Encounter' reclaims weekly TV chart throne

09:29 December 19, 2018...

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Dec. 19 (Yonhap) -- MBC's "Less Than Evil" was unseated by tvN's "Encounter," the chart-topper from two weeks earlier, slipping to ninth place on the weekly TV chart after briefly topping the list, data showed Wednesday.

The crime thriller earned a Content Power Index (CPI) score of 216.4, trailing far behind Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum's romantic drama, which recorded a score of 268.8 for the week of Dec. 10-16.

The crime thriller, the Korean adaptation of the British television series "Luther," was highly anticipated within the terrestrial network to attract television viewers in the Monday-Tuesday primetime slot in which MBC has performed badly over the years.

Although the drama performed worse-than-expected in terms of a CPI number that measures not only viewership ratings but also the volume of trending and influence on social media, it still maintains the best rating among the dramas aired in the same time slot.

On Tuesday, it recorded 8.7 percent in viewership rating, outperforming other competitors, including tvN's "Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter," also known as "Tale of Fairy," which came second with 3.9 percent.

Meanwhile, "Encounter," which airs at 9:30 p.m. every Wednesday and Thursday, consolidated its No. 1 spot on the chart, as the blossoming, tantalizing romance between a female hotel CEO (Song Hye-kyo) and an ordinary younger employee (Park Bo-gum) started to unfold.

The CPI, created by CJ E&M and Nielsen Korea, measures the level of popularity, social media presence and influence on consumer behavior of entertainment TV programs aired on the three major terrestrial networks -- MBC, SBS and KBS -- and the seven cable channels owned by CJ ENM, including tvN, Mnet and OCN, during prime time. JTBC, another cable network that airs some highly popular entertainment shows and dramas, is not included in the measurement. 

This still provided by tvN shows Song Hye-kyo (L) and Park Bo-gum in the popular television series "Encounter." (Yonhap)

hide caption
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In tonight’s episode, KJH will be at CSH’s place doing wefies, probably sipping some wine,  listening to the Cuban OST and cementing their relationship with hot kisses (or more).  

Am I the only person who doesn’t want to see Bogummie do more than kisses?  Bogummie reminds me of Pooh Bear, to be hug and fed honey. 

Not to mention, how awkward it is when Bogummie goes to the Song-Song home for Christmas!

1 hour ago, vvpal said:

Am I the only person who doesn’t want to see Bogummie do more than kisses?  Bogummie reminds me of Pooh Bear, to be hug and fed honey. 

Not to mention, how awkward it is when Bogummie goes to the Song-Song home for Christmas!

I want them to have proper kissing scenes just because people doesnt want this to happen. :lol: People need to get over themeselves. They’re actors.

• Like 18

I'm honestly wanna see them kiss..as an actor n actress it can't be avoid if it is necessary to build up the story..as an example (just example guys) jun ji hyun has a kissing scene as well in her previous drama,so why can't shk x pbg have one too? If they see them as an actor that doing their job,so there won't be any problem..but sometimes there will always be people that thinking it's not appropiate cz pbg is jk friend n shk is his wife..<_< not cool at all..n when there is scene like that,they will complain there is no chemistry between them..

• Like 15