[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I have not had time to go through the entire thread of posts.  I find it absolutely fabulous that with only 6 episodes aired, there are already 120 pages of posts.  That demonstrates just how much popularity this series has.  A couple of things I have noticed thus far.

The first episode highlights KJH's visit to the wife's garden at the old villa.  CSH also mentions what I believe is the same garden that is part of the land purchase agreement for the Havana hotel location.  I have a feeling that this spot will be critical at the end of the series as a meeting place for KJH and CSH.  In fact, I think that perhaps KJH and CSH first cross paths in Havana while CSH is going to look at the property and speak with the owner,  KJH is walking on the sidewalk in the other direction may be looking for the garden.

I simply love the scene where CSH gets caught on the swing by KJH.  She does that cute thing where she squints her eyes and bites her lip.  You can tell she is so embarrassed.  It is also sad in a way because her embarrassment is caused by her own self-expectation of always acting like an adult and never doing things just for the sake of fun.

Question concerning "some" relationship:  Is this the equivalent of formal flirting?  I apologize for being the "ugly" American in this situation.  Unfortunately, I sometimes have trouble understanding the formality of Korean courting practices.  This was the first time I had ever heard the use of this term in a KDrama.  Does one normally lower one's speech in this situation or does that just happen as the couple becomes more comfortable with each other?

The scene where CSH is tieing KJH's tie is adorable.  It seems like such an intimate moment for the two of them.  It's too bad that it was seen by JWS.  It came off as a total intrusion in the couple's moment.  However, this scene along with the hand holding scene demonstrates how their relationship has progressed to the point of accepting skinship.  Contrast that to the earlier times when KJH tried to grab CSH by the arm in the first couple of episodes.

Last question: if they get to the point of the kiss, would that be the indication that they have moved from "some" relationship to a "dating" relationship or is kissing allowed during "some"? 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

I have not had time to go through the entire thread of posts.  I find it absolutely fabulous that with only 6 episodes aired, there are already 120 pages of posts.  That demonstrates just how much popularity this series has.  A couple of things I have noticed thus far.

The first episode highlights KJH's visit to the wife's garden at the old villa.  CSH also mentions what I believe is the same garden that is part of the land purchase agreement for the Havana hotel location.  I have a feeling that this spot will be critical at the end of the series as a meeting place for KJH and CSH.  In fact, I think that perhaps KJH and CSH first cross paths in Havana while CSH is going to look at the property and speak with the owner,  KJH is walking on the sidewalk in the other direction may be looking for the garden.

I simply love the scene where CSH gets caught on the swing by KJH.  She does that cute thing where she squints her eyes and bites her lip.  You can tell she is so embarrassed.  It is also sad in a way because her embarrassment is caused by her own self-expectation of always acting like an adult and never doing things just for the sake of fun.

Question concerning "some" relationship:  Is this the equivalent of formal flirting?  I apologize for being the "ugly" American in this situation.  Unfortunately, I sometimes have trouble understanding the formality of Korean courting practices.  This was the first time I had ever heard the use of this term in a KDrama.  Does one normally lower one's speech in this situation or does that just happen as the couple becomes more comfortable with each other?

The scene where CSH is tieing KJH's tie is adorable.  It seems like such an intimate moment for the two of them.  It's too bad that it was seen by JWS.  It came off as a total intrusion in the couple's moment.  However, this scene along with the hand holding scene demonstrates how their relationship has progressed to the point of accepting skinship.  Contrast that to the earlier times when KJH tried to grab CSH by the arm in the first couple of episodes.

Last question: if they get to the point of the kiss, would that be the indication that they have moved from "some" relationship to a "dating" relationship or is kissing allowed during "some"? 

I was wondering about this too, this pre-relationship is a new thing for me. But i guess when they are having their first kiss, it must be called as a real relationship?? i am not sure about this either :joy:

6Sy2n5.gif

dc

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Late night shoot, SHK ordered churros and coffee to cheer everyone on set. 

Leave it to SHK to feed everyone all the time.

Encounter crew must be very well fed. What with all the food trucks and coffee trucks coming from fans of SHK and PBG.

@utkim i so love that scene. Look at her tears! Daesang worthy scene :lol:

21 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

"Ssum" or pre-relationship is like a mutual understanding. Both parties know what you both are feeling and it is mutual. It differs in being in a formal relationship because it wont have the responsibilities and advantages of a boyfriend/girlfriend. :D

23 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

For conservative countries. Mostly asian countries. There will only be kissing if you guys are formally dating, irgo boyfriend/girlfriend. If you guys kissed before that is clarified then it will definitely be clarified after the kissing :joy:

• Like 9
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 3

@twtwb @icyphoenix @philosophie I would like to talk more about CSH's mother. In the last episode, she declared that value was  important to her, while relationships were not, unlike for her daughter. She even added that CSH should live as a useful child. And if we look carefully at CSH's family, we can say that in her eyes, she only defines her husband and her daughter how useful they are to her. However, she is making huge errors in her thinking. 

• First, her thoughts are actually based on relationship, her family. Without her husband and her daughter, she would have never been able to enter the high society. That's why she is actually contradicting herself: without relationship, she would be nothing.
  • Secondly, because she is overlooking the importance of relationship, it reveals that she assumes, her family will always be there. Without her family, there would be no "value". 

That's why I hope that her husband will threaten her with a divorce and even go through one. Honestly, she used her husband and daughter for her selfish desire and she did nothing herself. She used the others as pawn... while she stopped working.      

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I'd love to see step by step of their relationship..it's like when someone fall in love for the first time..they r giddy with each other at first n then now they r comfortable although there r still shiness between two,but that what makes it very cute:wub:..I saw them like I saw myself (not that I look like SHK nor the guy look like PBG,that was very impossible :D) it's like a flashback for me when I'm high school,falling in love for the first time n felt shy whenever I saw him even from a far..hahaha

N don't forget guys it's tomorrow..boyfriend dayyyyy :lol: prepare your heart for the good n the bad for tomorrow epi guys..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why I hope that her husband will threaten her with a divorce and even go through one. Honestly, she used her husband and daughter for her selfish desire and she did nothing herself. She used the others as pawn... while she stopped working.      

I think his father will have to kiss his presidential candidacy goodbye if that happens.

Guys for those who haven't voted. 

Please upvote!

URL: https://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/poll/9320

Create a Kakao account instead if you cant read Hangul

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dukesa1122 said:

I think his father will have to kiss his presidential candidacy goodbye if that happens.

But you can sense that his daughter is more important to him. I also believe that he regrets what he did to her.

My assumption is: he wanted himself to become a politician, because he thought, he was weak as anchorman and couldn't protect his friend, KSJ's brother. Remember that they used to be called the Three Musketeers... so they were fighting for citizen rights. When he won, his wife started to have that big dream: being First lady or the wife of a minister.

Now, he is showing to Chairman Kim that he is not her "dog" and he is powerful enough without her. And he is not wrong: he has the support from his own party. 

Chairman Kim thinks, CSH's father owns his career to her, yet it is not true. He won the election as Mayor of Seoul without her help. CSH wasn't married yet. Besides, he got elected as assemblyman... the citizens voted for him. Yes, money might have helped him in his campaign... but that's it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

But you can sense that his daughter is more important to him. I also believe that he regrets what he did to her.

Yes. I also believe that CSH is the only person that will drive him to do that decision. He have expressed how because of his campaign, CSH lost her privacy.

8 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Chairman Kim thinks, CSH's father owns his career to her, yet it is not true. He won the election as Mayor of Seoul without her help. CSH wasn't married yet. Besides, he got elected as assemblyman... the citizens voted for him. Yes, money might have helped him in his campaign... but that's it. 

I'm actually excited to see how father and daughter will help each other gain back their freedom. Being a daddy's girl myself, both of them can kick-a$$! :D

• Like 7

@vu_hoa1983 About the alimony... I must say that the subtitles between Viki and VUI are totally different:

- by Viki, CSH says: "After I was deprived of all the money I would have received as alimony, except the hotel". The subtitles imply that she never received any money

- By VIU: CSH " I spent the money I received as alimony". Here, she receives some money

As you can see, I relied on Viki's translation therefore I said, she only received the hotel as alimony. 

• Like 7

On 12/17/2018 at 8:36 PM, vu_hoa1983 said:

I believe in the good of people. People like WS and HI, they are not perfect but they are good in nature. 

I believe in the good of people too....until the core of their existence is threatened and love can make or break a person. HI clearly has feelings for KJH and she's very protective of him. She has abstained from the offer of promotion so as not to hurt KJH. All these while, like someone said, she did not feel the reality and magnitude of KJH's feelings for CSH, nor did she dream that CSH actually returned KJH's feelings. Now, her love is threatened and one can do anything crazy and we've had people killing in a fit of jealousy even.

I remember HI's expression when she entered Dae Chan's restaurant when CSH was there and Dae Chan was praising her beauty....you could see the forlorn and lost look on her face. If she is subject to continuous bombardment of rejection at every point and the fear of losing KJH, who knows that she might just do something drastic in a moment of craziness! We know women can be vindictive....lol.

As for JWS, I think he's a lost soul like CSH was too...both ruled by the iron-fist MIL and I feel that he sincerely meant it when he said that CSH was his style in her presence. He probably had no freedom to explore his own preference and style but the minute he spoke with CSH, it could be love at first sight for him though we know that CSH was merely going through the match-making mechanism. So far, he has supported CSH from afar and stopped his mother from further insulting KJH. He did it not to impress CSH (he didn't know that she had seen the confrontation) so it was his genuine desire not to make a bigger ruckus that it was already. He obviously knew that CSH is happy with KJH since he had seen her smiling when she put on the tie for KJH. He's reticent and not a man who can openly express his feelings, probably conditioned by his tiger mum. 

I'll say that since he fabricated a lie to let CSH have her freedom because he has feelings for her, that means that he wants her to be happy and now, he has seen her happy and relaxed, so most likely he'll let her go, which means that he'll not do anything to harm KJH. This is supported by him warning the Director that it is not a manly thing to make CSH lose her hotel. Guys are usually not as vindictive...right? lol..

Just like one of the posters here, regarding the garden, CSH had said not to take it away as it's the essence of their hotel in Cuba, despite it being an old garden. I'm wondering if the hotel is on the grounds of the house of the old man who spoke to KJH? 

"It's the garden of my wife.

The love began here and was completed here"

If so, that old garden whom CSH said will bring people through the value of time, will be the focal point of their love story in that they'll meet in Cuba again and their love story will complete there, which means it'll be a happy ending just like the old man and his wife. Their first encounter in Cuba will invoke sweet memories for both of them even if their happiness is threatened. Cuba will strengthen their love.

Regarding the poem "Yearning", I believe that the strong yearning by both to be together, will help them to overcome whatever that they're not supposed to overcome or told not to do so....which means they'll be doing the reverse...just like the story of rich woman, poor man in this drama. They'll go against the obstacles.

I also noticed the conditioning of CSH in ep 1 where she asked if she could wind down the window and Sec Jang said no, she might catch a cold. That's why she asked KJH for permission to wind down the window....we get to see that this conditioning is undone with the superb power of love, thanks to KJH.

I really appreciate all the thoughts and discussions here and it's such a simple yet powerful love story, isn't it? PBG and SHK are doing such a great job with this drama!

@gumtaek @bebebisous33 and many other chingus - thanks for all your sharing!  :D

@utkim @khxy  - so glad you gals are here too!! Sending you both a big HUG!  

• Like 18

This is just from my attempt at translation, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the people running the daum cafe have said that they need to get to 1,500 respondents before they can request the production of dvd or bluray.  Right now it looks like there's slightly less than 1000 people requesting the dvd and about 1,060 people who've requested bluray.  The bluray estimated price is ~300,000 KRW (~265 USD), which is ****ton of money so I hope I've just misunderstood something there.  But maybe vote for DVD instead?? :sweat_smile:

For my fellow stupid americans, I've made a poll, which you can take here --> https://twitter.com/yonaomi123/status/1075078720854077445

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jl08 said:

I also noticed the conditioning of CSH in ep 1 where she asked if she could wind down the window and Sec Jang said no, she might catch a cold. That's why she asked KJH for permission to wind down the window....we get to see that this conditioning is undone with the superb power of love, thanks to KJH.

I noticed this too. She doesn't even have the freedom to open her window. Thats why KJH laughed at her when she asked permission to do that. 

I love how the writer did not even overlook the little things to portray how caged CSH is. That's what I'm so hooked to this story. I dont understand why some people will say that the script is poorly written. :blink:

28 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

The bluray estimated price is ~300,000 KRW (~265 USD), which is ****ton of money so I hope I've just misunderstood something there.  But maybe vote for DVD instead??

Whoa :o 265 USD is expensive!

• Like 9

@jl08 You're welcome.cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532 

But now, I would like to add something about your observation:

That's why I haven't considered secretary Jang as a real friend and even resented her a little. They have a very ambiguous relationship in reality: casual because they have known each other for a long time but also distant. CSH has never confided to her and this is an indication that even in front of JMJ, CSH is not herself. 

From my point of view, JMJ was also someone who contributed to CSH's loneliness and suffocation. In that episode 1 you mentioned, the secretary Jang didn't want to eat at the rest stop because she had had a bad experience with a restaurant before. Indirectly, she was complaining about CSH. For JMJ, it is too bothersome if CSH leaves the car hence CSH says that she will stay in the car. As conclusion, the less moves CSH would make, the better it was for Jang. She had less trouble at work. As you can see, she put boundaries to CSH and sometimes it is for her own comfort. 

And let us not forget that she didn't want to spend the evening with CSH, when the latter asked her if she wanted to go to the Malecon Beach (over the phone). Jang rejected the idea saying that she should go there with her boyfriend. Actually, Jang was well aware that CSH had no boyfriend. She even added that she didn't want to spend time with her... especially after work. You can definitely sense that JMJ has the upper hand in their relationship. She knows that CSH has no friend hence JMJ can say anything she wants and if CSH threatens her to fire her, JMJ whines a little but deep down, she doesn't feel threatened. She even reminds CSH that she never accepted her resignation. All this illustrates that CSH was relying a lot on JMJ in order not to feel lonely. That's why the secretary is not pleased, when she discovers the relationship between CSH and JH. She even tries to work behind her back but this had no effect on JH.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But you can sense that his daughter is more important to him.

I also believe that he regrets what he did to her.

My assumption is: he wanted himself to become a politician, because he thought, he was weak as anchorman and couldn't protect his friend, KSJ's brother. Remember that they used to be called the Three Musketeers... so they were fighting for citizen rights. When he won, his wife started to have that big dream: being First lady or the wife of a minister.

I'd like to respectfully disagree here, hope you don't mind.

Whether or not his reasons for entering politics were purely rooted in a desire to protect people like Kim SunJoo's oppa, because his wife had a goal, or some mixture of the two, or maybe even something else altogether-- the fact remains that he pursued a political career and then decided that the best way to stay in power was to join hands with TaeKyung Group.  In order to do so, he let his child go through with a marriage to the son of TaeKyung Group.  (Luckily WooSeok wasn't the same type of monster as his mother.)  But in no way, do I think that any of those actions suggest that his daughter is more important.

Do I agree that he regrets what he let happen to his child?  Oh yes.  But I view all of his current actions through the lens of what he allowed to happen to SooHyun in the past.  Which is to say: SooHyun's father may have had noble intentions, but his actions ended up being ultimately self-serving. 

2 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:
2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I think her father will have to kiss his presidential candidacy goodbye if that happens.

Will he though?  I think that SooHyun's father and TaeKyung chairwoman are in a stalemate right now.  If he actually exerts himself on his daughter's behalf and makes sure that she isn't forced out of her Donghwa CEO position, then he may actually be able to become a presidential candidate.  Especially if he succeeds in making it so that her ex-MIL is no longer a threat.  Of course, this is assuming that he really is as pure as the driven snow, and the chairwoman really doesn't have any evidence of him doing dirty stunts. 

I guess, in summary lol, I'm really quite irritated with both of SooHyun's parents and think that they have a lot to answer for. 

1 hour ago, jl08 said:

I'll say that since he fabricated a lie to let CSH have her freedom because he has feelings for her, that means that he wants her to be happy and now, he has seen her happy and relaxed, so most likely he'll let her go, which means that he'll not do anything to harm KJH. This is supported by him warning the Director that it is not a manly thing to make CSH lose her hotel. Guys are usually not as vindictive...right? lol..

Up until episode 6, we've been painted this picture of WooSeok as a guy trying his best to navigate his crazy mother.  He threatens to cut ties with her if she lays one hand on SooHyun's hotel, he hires a hacker to bring down the hotel intranet, he goes behind his mother's back to make sure there are enough celebrities at the hotel opening to make sure it isn't an embarrassment.  I could go on and on-- the list is long because WooSeok really is being a nice guy.  But the thing that niggles at me is their little interaction when he invited her to dinner after the first ramen date article came out.  

In my opinion, if WooSeok truly meant well, he never would have put a condition on his offer of help.  To me that means that now SooHyun has essentially told everyone that she's moved on from WooSeok, all bets are off.  He kept up his end of the bargain because he could convince himself that SooHyun wasn't really in a ~ssum~ relationship or any kind of relationship with JinHyuk.  Who's to say guys are usually not as vindictive?  Even if WooSeok never actively moves against SooHyun or JinHyuk, his inaction in itself has the potential to make their lives very difficult indeed. 

@dukesa1122 265 USD is nuts, right?  I really would like to know what would be the other features of the bluray before I put down that kind of money lol. 

Edited by yonaomi123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

All this illustrates that CSH was relying a lot on JMJ in order not to feel lonely. That's why the secretary is not pleased, when she discovers the relationship between CSH and JH. She even tries to work behind her back but this had no effect on JH.  

I never viewed JMJ as that. Maybe she might have constrained CSH indirectly but I sincerely believe it's not because of her own comfort. I feel that she's concerned about CSH, she is just too concerned about the consequences and that is why she's becoming really protective of her. She is one of the people who knows what will happen if CSH will go against the tigers that is why she is very concerned of her.

19 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

I guess, in summary lol, I'm really quite irritated with both of SooHyun's parents and think that they have a lot to answer for.

While I agree with you that he failed in protecting her as a father, I also think that he never really realized the extent of damage he made to his daughter basing on his reaction when CSH said that she's used to people being interested with her life. I think now that he has realized that, he will make a difference. People change. And if there's anyone CSH needs at her side who can go against the Taekyong group, it's her father. He will level the otherwise very unbalanced field.

21 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

@dukesa1122 265 USD is nuts, right?  I really would like to know what would be the other features of the bluray before I put down that kind of money lol. 

If it includes personalized/written autograph from SHK, I think I can close my eyes and buy it. AND if it has Eng sub. lol 

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

@yonaomi123 I believe that you misunderstood me. When I wrote that CSH was more important to him, I was talking about the present. After marrying off her to that family and seeing how unhappy she became, he came to realize his mistake therefore he has changed his behaviour towards CSH now. He has come to realize what his daughter meant to him. That's why I don't see your statement as different as mine. He has changed from my point of view. 

• Like 9