Quantcast
Jump to content
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, her alimony was the failing hotel. Donghwa Hotel was on the verge of bankruptcy. CSH said that she had to take loans (episode 6, during the walk) in order to support the hotel. When she asked for the hotel, she thought that chairman Kim would be glad to get rid of that failing business. But you are right, these are just speculations on my part. In my opinion, by asking for the hotel as alimony, she wanted to leave the impression that she never married JWS in order to take advantage of his wealth. By not asking for money was a way to show that she is not greedy and cunning.

As for the fair share of responsability, I have to disagree with you. Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce, if CSH had not accepted the divorce contract. CSH told her secretary, if she had protested about any clause, then Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce. Chairman Kim had such a contract written in order to discourage her from leaving her son. That was the point, she thought thatby threatening her like that, CSH would give up. Kim has the impression that CSH is just like her mother but she is not. Worth, wealth and power don't matter to her.  

 

 

Actually the MIL had that clause specifically in there due to the investment of the family into her father’s political career. Im sure part of it was due to the son as well but definitely the usefulness of the political connection too. Which in present day Korea is almost intertwined. 

 

In addition I feel as though WS and SH kept in continual albeit infrequent contact annually since the divorce. When he said in the first episode that he hadnt seen her in awhile, in korea there was no reference to how long it has been. Obviously she shows up to her ex MIL’s bday every year and most likely to other significant family events so they do see each other. 

 

I still root for WS so badly- I am terribly biased towards him! 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bellaangel012 said:

 

 

Actually the MIL had that clause specifically in there due to the investment of the family into her father’s political career. Im sure part of it was due to the son as well but definitely the usefulness of the political connection too. Which in present day Korea is almost intertwined. 

 

In addition I feel as though WS and SH kept in continual albeit infrequent contact annually since the divorce. When he said in the first episode that he hadnt seen her in awhile, in korea there was no reference to how long it has been. Obviously she shows up to her ex MIL’s bday every year and most likely to other significant family events so they do see each other. 

 

I still root for WS so badly- I am terribly biased towards him! 

Well, I can understand that some might fall for JWS because he can be perceived as a poor, misunderstood person who has no power over his own life and against his mother. For some, he might appear as a victim too. But like I wrote it earlier, since I am watching a different drama where children are abused and even killed... I can not judge him as a poor man. 

 

My problem with him is that he allowed his wife to feel lonely for two whole years. Notice that he has only one picture of CSH that was taken before getting married. He even acknowledged that he didn't treat her correctly. To me, saying that he couldn't protect her is a weak point because in many episodes, he proved that he could stop his mother, even protect CSH. He is not powerless, he has even more power than JH! Yet, JH was the one who decided to side with CSH and protect her from the gossips. JH was treated worse than JWS and he was able to protect CSH by remaining cool, when chairman Kim insulted him and her ex-daughter-in-law.

But okay... I can only side with CSH and understand why she is so cold and distant towards JWS. Why was it so difficult to confess his love for her? That's the part where I can not understand him... his reason is that if she knew, then she would have become even unhappier and even more burdened. And that's where he was wrong. She would have felt loved... and as someone who is not even loved by her own mother, it can never become a burden. 

 

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Michelle Gonzalez said:

Hi do you know the name of song that is all the episodes in full english it singer or title? Shazamm doesn't work

 

I'm gonna guess you mean the song that many of us were wondering about.   It's Take Me On by SaltNPaper.  Poster @foolmoondance found the information about it.

 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another crazy speculation why CSH hated JWS too much... what if...

 

Notice when this drama even started filiming they said CSH is going to have a kid but in the end they decided not to... what if... they were about to have a kid but CSH had a miscarriage because of JWS? 

 

As I’ve said... I know it’s wild... It’s more of a mexican telenovela type of story haha :sweatingbullets: 

7 hours ago, sal2 said:

they often film more scenes than what is getting into the final product.

 

Yes. I’ve thought of that. But still, fingers crossed! :wub:

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boyfriend-main-1-2-800x445.jpg
DRAMA 

“We’re into each other”.. ‘Boyfriend’ Song Hye Kyo, innocent confession to Park Bo Gum

In the sixth episode of tvN new drama ‘Boyfriend’ that aired in 13th of December revealed Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) who started to accepted her feelings towards the young man. She took a step forward with Kim Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum), the innocent guy who insisted on taking a step closer to her life.

Cha Soo Hyun was feeling happy like an ordinary people when she was together with Kim Jin Hyuk. This time, the viewers were entertained by seeing the two of them smiling at each other and that the two of them can talk more comfortable now such as riding the bike together and celebrated their first day with a cake. Cha Soo Hyun also put on the lipstick that Kim Jin Hyuk gave her and she was smiling when reading the message that Kim Jin Hyuk sent, Cha Soo Hyun was simply happy for the whole day.

boyfriend-1-1.jpg image source: tvN

Cha Soo Hyun was slightly awkward and feeling strange but she tried hard to be honest to her feelings. Her changes were shown by her affection such as buying Jin Hyuk a tie and carefully put it on him while Jin Hyuk was slightly nervous at the sudden affection. The warm atmosphere between these two people in this drama made the viewers couldn’t take their eyes off the screen.

boyfriend-2-1.jpg image source: tvN

Especially since Cha Soo Hyun has decided to reveal her relationship with Kim Jin Hyuk in front of everyone made the viewers completely taken aback. Her confession is indeed unique because she was always careful on what she will say in front of the media and after realizing her sincere feeling towards Kim Jin Hyuk, she decided to do it. In the end of the episode, she touched the viewers heart by announcing that “We’re into each other” sternly.

boyfriend-3-1.jpg image source: tvN

The appearance of Song Hye Kyo that perfectly pictured Cha Soo Hyun’s brave side has captured the viewers attention. Now the viewers are anticipating more of emotional atmosphere in the drama. The viewers also happy to see Cha Soo Hyun stood up for herself and be honest to herself. At the same time, Cha Soo Hyun has successfully made the viewers feeling the spring in the middle of this winter. Because of Song Hye Kyo’s perfect performance, the drama ‘Boyfriend’ has gained another positive review.

Meanwhile, tvN drama ‘Boyfriend’ aired every Wednesday and Thursday at 9.30pm local time........source credit @http://my.castko.com/archives/28626

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My prediction for the next episode is that when director Choi announces to JH that CSH might lose the hotel because of him, director Choi has been actually sent by JWS so that JH would back off. It is definitely not in Choi's interest to warn JH about the consequences. But if he is following JWS's order, then he can only gain from it.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jl08: I stil owe you my inputs to the points you've raised. I will respond based on the observation that this drama reverses the usual KDrama tropes.

 

Before that I want us to observe not the cake, but the red Christmas balls on the cake to celebrate their pre-relationship stage at the start of Episode 6

 

7OOyAzJ.png

 

One is bigger and glossy, the other one is smaller and has a matte finish. Kim Jin Hyuk gives the former to Cha Soo Hyun; he keeps the smaller matte one. By worldly standards, that is how they are perceived and judged.

 

lmpressive detail, isn't it?

 

See, I noticed it not on my first watch but after several rewatching. Pretty much like a beautiful piece of poetry.That is how amazing this drama is. 

 

Postscript: One development in Episode 6

 

Cha Soo Hyun has put up a Kim jin Hyuk Shrine in her sacred space.:blush:

 

UVRlr40.png

 

P.S. We do that for the people we cherished the most, right? Folowing our personal style, of course.:)

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, her alimony was the failing hotel. Donghwa Hotel was on the verge of bankruptcy. CSH said that she had to take loans (episode 6, during the walk) in order to support the hotel. When she asked for the hotel, she thought that chairman Kim would be glad to get rid of that failing business. But you are right, these are just speculations on my part. In my opinion, by asking for the hotel as alimony, she wanted to leave the impression that she never married JWS in order to take advantage of his wealth. By not asking for money was a way to show that she is not greedy and cunning.

As for the fair share of responsability, I have to disagree with you. Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce, if CSH had not accepted the divorce contract. CSH told her secretary, if she had protested about any clause, then Chairman Kim would have never agreed to the divorce. Chairman Kim had such a contract written in order to discourage her from leaving her son. That was the point, she thought thatby threatening her like that, CSH would give up. Kim has the impression that CSH is just like her mother but she is not. Worth, wealth and power don't matter to her.  

 

Of course I know she had to sign the contract if she wanted to get divorced. My point is: she asked for the hotel as alimony, bet at that times she didn't know about the contract. But when she read the contract and saw that disadvantage terms (the scandal terms), she should have known that it is a way of her ex MIL to control her business. She could just change it to money to avoid the ties with her ex MIL in a new contract.  SH is not greedy or cunning but I wished she could pretend like that in front of her ex MIL for once so that she would not be controlled by her. That's why I mean by saying she had her fair share of responsibility when signing the contract - and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. She divorced but maintained her dignity - that is how she is. 

 

In fact, SH received both the hotel and money as alimony, though the money was probably not too much: she used that to take her staff on a world tour of hotels and then to travel alone, like what she told JH during the walk.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the actor for CSH's dad has played mostly evil roles. I feel he directly/indirectly caused his journalist friend's death. I still HOPE the evil MIL is the one who was involved in the killing so the whole taeyang group can fall under since there's probably no way a hotel chain can bring it down and we know the MIL is gotta go (die/prison) for a happy closure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

One is bigger and glossy, the other one is smaller and has a matte finish. Kim Jin Hyuk gives the former to Cha Soo Hyun; he keeps the smaller matte one. By worldly standards, that is how they are perceived and judged.

 

 

Daebak! Another amazing observation! I’m having goosebumps. Even this detail is not overlooked by the director! Gosh I’m loving this drama so much! ❤️❤️❤️

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, I can understand that some might fall for JWS because he can be perceived as a poor, misunderstood person who has no power over his own life and against his mother. For some, he might appear as a victim too. But like I wrote it earlier, since I am watching a different drama where children are abused and even killed... I can not judge him as a poor man. 

 

My problem with him is that he allowed his wife to feel lonely for two whole years. Notice that he has only one picture of CSH that was taken before getting married. He even acknowledged that he didn't treat her correctly. To me, saying that he couldn't protect her is a weak point because in many episodes, he proved that he could stop his mother, even protect CSH. He is not powerless, he has even more power than JH! Yet, JH was the one who decided to side with CSH and protect her from the gossips. JH was treated worse than JWS and he was able to protect CSH by remaining cool, when chairman Kim insulted him and her ex-daughter-in-law.

But okay... I can only side with CSH and understand why she is so cold and distant towards JWS. Why was it so difficult to confess his love for her? That's the part where I can not understand him... his reason is that if she knew, then she would have become even unhappier and even more burdened. And that's where he was wrong. She would have felt loved... and as someone who is not even loved by her own mother, it can never become a burden. 

 

This is why I like this character so much, because he is paradoxical. He loves CSH since she's like a breath of fresh air in a heavily perfumed room, but he doesn't know how to love her. He does a lot for her, but doesn't understand what she needs. He admires and even shares her desire to escape, but he is too cowardly, too attached to his position of power, and too ingrained in the concepts of status and propriety to follow. He wants her to be with him, but refuses to cause her unhappiness by forcing her back.

 

You wonder why it is difficult for him to confess his love? Look at who raised him. Look at what environment he's been in. He lives in a world of clandestine. Every word has to be carefully construed and analyzed for hidden meanings and intentions. The tenderness of real emotions is a weakness for your foes to exploit. Love means jack all in a household that values status and power above all else. Thus, confessing his love runs counter to every instinct that was fostered in him growing up under Chairman Kim.

 

There is nothing stopping him from confessing his love, other than his own flaws, his upbringing and his decisions. This makes him interesting. It gives an almost Shakespearean air to what appears to be a tragic ending that he's heading towards.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more convinced it will have a happy ending.

1. If its not, the drama is sending a message that a big age gap is not acceptable in our society.

2. If its not, Two people of different society levels ,( financial, educational)entering into a romantic relationship is doomed.

3. If its not, relationship that is nurtured, grown at its own time is just the same as a whirlwind romance.

4. Im holding on to what the old cuban man said to JH, that their love started and completed here . If its, their love started and ended there, its a different story.

5, That poster, JH hugging SH, it shows how tight they will hold  on to each other. Their sad faces there just shows the hardship and sadness they will go through.

JH has his own way of taking things.

That talk with sec. Jang, he said, what kind of life u have ms. Cha

with HI,  his worries are not to himself

with Mil, he's angry to what has SH has endured with that family.

Whatever comes next,  he will handle it in his own unconventional way.

 

Now that he had SH at his back, he is more determined. He is stubborn, when he is into something, no one can stop him. 

 

 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 3:15 AM, stroppyse said:

@nubianlegalmind, I love your write up on the commentary in this drama about the role of women, and I agree with it. I think you verbalized something that I only wrote desultorily about with regards to SH's oncoming rebellion against the role that she has been groomed to play all of her life.

 

 

Yes, I totally agree. The marriage wasn't healthy, especially for SH. My feelings of sympathy for WS are just that, feelings of sympathy over how he was raised and how he is living, in his self-acknowledged cage. Not that he deserves her or anything like that, however, feelings of love are feelings of love, and his are clearly doomed.

 

 

Also, finally watched episode 6, and a few things struck me other than the OTP exploring their relationship with each other which is sweet and lovely in its own right:

1) Driver Nam is a lovely man, with SH's interest in mind.

2) SH"s father is also having a fight. He seems to have gone along with his wife's ambition to take higher and higher office, and accepted Taekyong Group's support. But, now he wants to champion something that Taekyong Group does not want to pass, and the MIL has directly told him to get back in line, and that his daughter has to get back to her place as well. I think SH's father may have a strength that may not have been so evident as yet, but that he may actually decide to stick up for his principles, even if it costs him support and his seat, and to stick up for his daughter's right to live her own life. I was proud of him for telling the MIL that she should stop calling SH her daughter-in-law since it's been years since the divorce, and that she is doing just fine on her own and succeeding on her own terms. However, this power struggle is clearly not over, especially with his wife who is the more ambitious also being on Taekyong Group's side.

3) In the scene where SH ties JH's tie for him, he breaks out in an adorable grin, and SH actually tells him to stop smiling. Previously when I saw just the insta clip of this scene, I thought she was telling him to reduce his smile, but nope, she tells him to stop smiling. His response was to say that he was trying, but he couldn't help himself. It's a pretty fast emotional change from his feelings of delight here to his feelings of unease when he's confronted by SH's ex-hubby and the her ex-MIL. And, I liked his reactions about it. This is a translation of the exchange between JH and HI after he has reflected on things that SH had told him in the past, and when HI asks if he's okay.

 

(HI comes upon JH who is taking a breather outside after his exchange with SH's ex-MIL)

HI: Are you okay?
JH: Huh? About what?
HI: I saw everything.
HI: Do you want to go and rest somewhere? I’ll take care of the event things. The way you are now-
JH: This is how she’s been living. Words like those, this is the first time I’ve heard them, but…that person…those kinds of horrible words, those unspeakable insinuations… how much must she have had to endure.

(JH turns around to contemplate it a little more.)

 

I'm actually not a huge fan of the dialogue in this drama, but it gets the job done. Rather, PBG's ability to convey emotions helps convey what the writing sometimes lacks. What others have been trying to tell him about the pressures and microscope that SH lives under, not to mention the forces trying to control her, he's starting to realize for himself. However, unlike his friends' concerns which have to do with how will he handle it and whether he will be hurt by it, his concern is for SH and how she has been able to endure it for so long. Sweet.

 

edit: Btw, I thought of doing a few scene translations for this drama from YT clips since I noticed that some of the subbing is a bit wrong, but tvN has decided not to make the clips available in my region, so no go on that one. Sorry. I tried.

 

 

@stroppyse when i saw his's kfan and ifan gifs on ig, i remembered your comments vividly. i will not cut your post and just highlight for the comments and clips here with gifs (credit to his kfan / ifan gifs.  thanks. 

He could act all sweets but he can be sour in a minute. He is versatile actor.

his feeling of delights

 

 

B1812130002M.gif

 

Controlling his anger 

997B8D445C12DB3417

 

very subtle acting.  He could not argue back to MIL but he shows with his jaw movement when he gets mad

998593335C12D6D615

 

 

 

 

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is getting interesting that more ppl started to try undertstand the ex. For me his biggest weaknest just same like CSH, they let their mother controlling their life. I think he love and like SH way before their marriage but just didn't know how to show it. SH is the ice princess. She didn't know how to express her feeling and same goes to WS. His life is not even better. His mother is more scarier than SH's mother and he seems like he has no friends whatsoever. Having power and money won't make you stronger if you being chain and living under big pressure. He failed to protect SH and make her happy. He didn't even know how to express himself. He google 'what to say if you dont want to pressure someone with the gift ' for the dress present and end up with ' I pick it up on my way here' which unacceptable for SH. He should just wish her happy birthday but he choose not to show his feeling and cares. He drove extra mile to Sokcho to calm and help SH. Even stay behind and persuade Atrist Jang to help SH with the drawing. I bet SH never know her ex helping her all this time. For me those two wont work together. Their life just miserable, they need someone who can lighten it up. I hope WS found his own KJH just like SH found hers. The thing is that trouble me why MIL want CSH to be her DIL so badly. Come on you monster is there no Chaebol daughter out there you can choose. Leave CSH alone. I bet SH willing to lose Donghwa hotel for her life and JH this time. So I got a feeling the MIL will use father reputation to threaten CSH as a last straw. They seems have done something bad before that make MIL want to keep the tied together. I hope the father will step up for SH this time. I just hope evil MIL wont cross the line by disturb JH's families and friends.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Omo did you guys see SHK’s new Suecomma pictures? :o

 

i dont know how to share instagram posts here huhu

Spoiler

Since it's Kyo's latest endorsement , not related to Encounter drama those photos should be only uploaded to Kyo's thread and SongSong couple's thread  which is done on Kyo's thread already! :)

 

If you want to share another instagram post, just copy and paste url link to where you wanna post and that's it! It's simple as abc!:D

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...