Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

6 hours ago, Far^away said:

that muffler scene... that necktie scene... cemented how small gestures seemed like leaps and bounds for them.

I love this line alot. :heart:

This is the first time I'm going to comment about JWS. Mainly because I was trying to understand him.

I think the reason is simple. He said so himself. He, like CSH, knows the feeling of not owning your own life. When they got married, he might have seen that CSH has been pushed too much to the side or pressured by his mother and it reached a point where he cant stand the person he loves being stifled like that anymore, especially by his own mother. That might be the reason why he made up the outrageous "wanting to marry the other woman" alibi just to get Cha divorced and out of his family. He has been at cross with his mother twice and he never failed to remind his mother that CSH is not a thing. He did not however expect CSH to be involved with another man especially after the signed divorce contract that hinders CSH to ever be involved. So I understand the hesitation from his part in doing anything upfront like what KJH is doing.

MIL played her part well and because of that i hate her. Not as much as i hate CSH's mom. At least MIL has a reason deeper than just being selfish and chaebol. At least she's almost doing it to CSH because she knows his son loves her. CSH mom however, she's pure evil, selfish! argh

• Like 14

Encounter sold to 100 countries! :scream: This is good news indeed:wub:

Spoiler

So Encounter beats sageuk drama Jewel In The Palace in terms of buying the copyright to broadcast to their network from different countries! 

--------

Following its initial broadcast in South Korea, Dae Jang Geum was syndicated in over 60 countries around the world, under the titles Jewel in the Palace and The Great Jang-Geum

Source Wikipedia

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I love this drama.  I am on a wonderful ride with these two.  I think that the K-drama has finally grown-up to air a drama portraying two individuals, an older, divorced, well accomplished woman, and a younger, well read, mature man, falling in love.  I am loving the journey from strangers connecting in Cuba to their "some" relationship.   Their chemistry makes my heart do somersaults.  I am 100% in their corner regardless the obstacles.   I do feel sorry for her ex-husband, but not enough for her to be in a relationship with him again.  I would love to see him embrace her decision, move on and wish her happiness.  It would be nice to see him find someone to love, someone of a humble background so that it would drive his mother insane.  :D

How do I describe it?  The plot is fast paced; however, the story line is slow.  I have watched how they've moved from phase to phase in their relationship and not have had that out of breath, rushed feeling. The walks in-hand, the bicycle ride, playing in the sand on the beach, and thinking about each other smiling, makes me reminisce about when I was falling in love with my mate; the I can't wait to see him again feeling, smiling when I thought about him, and not being sure if I wanted to entered into a more permanent relationship with him.   I applaud the writer and the directors for  one of the most beautiful K-drama love stories I have seen in years.  Even the poems and illustrations are perfect. 

I am hoping for a happy ending.   

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Aaahh at last I already finish watched epi 5-6..my laptop thank u for coming back alive :lol:

Wow what a roller coaster feeling that I have right now..happy (I'm literaly grinning ear to ear,watched sweet scene that sweeter than sugar :wub:),angry,sad arrrghh every emotion came out at once. Shk x Pbg give their character a soul;I'm falling in love with their eyes n smile especially,so masmerizeme..eyes really important I guess to convey someone feelings..totally LOVE it..oh n the actor whose role is ex husband,jang seung jo his quite good too,potraying the lonely n miserable ex :sweatingbullets: n handsome one to add haha

For me this is my TOP/FAVE scene in epi 5-6 (although I like it all,but yeah I have my own fave):

*When SH saw JH in a cafe all by himself,lifeless n suddenly became a ball of happiness after he got a message from SH n their art date

*Cute bickering between JH hyung dae chan n sec jang

*Convo between sec jang n SH in the car, n SH crying

*The way JH hold SH arms to look at him at the ending of epi 5

*Riding bike scene

*The scarf n holding hands scene

*Neck tie scene n the ex hubby saw it

*JH confrontation with the ex hubby n ex MIL

* SH worried face n wanting to interfere when JH being bullied by the ex MIL

*N of course the ending of epi 6 

@utkim do we have same thought,after JH find a way to come in SH house,what next?I will let my wild imagination take over :P

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

On 12/13/2018 at 10:55 AM, stroppyse said:

It seems that JH is coming very aware of the extraordinary pressures that SH has to accept as a matter of fact in her life, and how she has coped with it. In order to protect herself and her emotions, she has deliberately emotionally stunted herself. And, while it may be easy for him to say things such as "It won't be so bad if you can smile" to her, that is actually the naive point of view of youth that haven't had to deal with consequences as yet. He's been blessed to have grown up with a close, loving family, though perhaps he has a sunnier disposition than most.

So, it seems that this story is not just of SH being able to step out of her cage, but also of JH having to grow up about the world some during their relationship together, regardless of the length of the relationship. It's clear that they have both already affected and changed each other already, with more to go.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:15 AM, stroppyse said:

What they are doing rather well, however, is crafting an OTP that I want to root for, despite their insurmountable odds at actually being able to be together. It's like the choice that SH is potentially going to be facing of choosing either JH or basically her whole world, including her job and her family. When one has so much, it is very hard to leave everything behind to go to a subsistence living situation.

It's still not clear to me whether this drama tends to take the more realistic ending of having the OTP part at the end, or to keep it in a more fairytale realm and allow them to stay together.

@stroppyse sorry for cutting your posts.. I totally agree with you here. I'll be honest, I have a feeling this drama might not give us a happy ending where they end up together. Rather, it might be the type of drama that shows us how two people meet unexpectedly and have a profound effect on each other's lives. I really like that poem and the thought behind the painting they viewed under the bridge.. it's like JH and SH have no control over meeting each other and they keep bumping into each other repeatedly and they don't know what it all means and whether they should be together or not. But they do know they're drawn to each other.

I think episode 1 seemed somewhat slow because it lingered on scenes where JH was exploring Cuba and I think that was done on purpose to give us an idea of what JH is like - he is young, carefree and is the type who lives in the present and knows how to take it all in and enjoy the moment. He has an appreciation for what is happening right in front of him. SH on the other hand has lived a pretty confined life. We can see it in the way she spent her time in Cuba. She only went to the places she needed to go and wouldn't have ventured out on her own until she was encouraged to do so. 

Yes, there's an age gap between the OTP but I think we aren't really meant to focus on that gap. I think this show is doing an amazing job at showing us all the complexities of their relationship beyond the age gap. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Let me cut in and just say...

I love how rich the discussion in this thread is.

Beyond the heart flutters we obviously feel inside, we talk more in depth discussion about the show.

Keep them coming ! :heart:

• Like 15

Well, honestly this drama doesn’t give me any feeling that it will be a sad ending. I just have this strong feeling we will have a happy ending :Dtnboeu.gif

dc

as I am not good in analyzing arts, can only see if it’s beautiful or not, I dun understand their language  :P, I’m thankful for your help to make me appreciated the drama even more. Thanks :wub:

• Like 21

1 hour ago, mouse007 said:

Yes, there's an age gap between the OTP but I think we aren't really meant to focus on that gap. I think this show is doing an amazing job at showing us all the complexities of their relationship beyond the age gap. 

I agree that the age gap is not the primary focus, but it is one of the attributes separating the OTP and making JH such an unsuitable partner for SH. So, they're dealing with a power gap, class gap, money gap, and age gap where the female has the superior position in Korean parlance. Even in stories and (RL) that deals with such gaps, it's usually the male who is in the superior position, and Korean society is more understanding and forgiving of it. (Though, I guess this is also true of other societies as well.) I'm not saying that such relationships don't happen where the female is older and/or wealthier, I'm just saying that it's still not commonplace in society.

Even this drama addresses that it somewhat when someone (I forget which character, maybe HI) asks JH if he doesn't mind being misunderstood as being SH's plaything and doing so because she's rich and powerful. JH's response by the way is that he doesn't mind what will be said about him, he just wants to be someone meaningful in SH's life. This is before JH had to face the attacks by WS and his mother on him. To his credit, though JH seems shaken by it, it's not of himself that he's concerned about, his concern was for SH having to put up with that filth for so long and by herself.

But, anyway, it does get to the point that the younger man is typically seen as an opportunist and a plaything rather than a serious partner for an older, wealthier, higher class woman. JH is going to have a very thick skin in order to get through what he has to, and still be there for SH.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I'm not saying that such relationships don't happen where the female is older and/or wealthier, I'm just saying that it's still not commonplace in society.

I agree with everything you said.

Let me just add that, maybe this show isn't just about the gaps but also maybe the unfairness the society have against female? Maybe that's one of the points of this story: Them ending up together is possible and not a fairy tale.

• Like 15

I remember the tea house lady warns JH that he will be misunderstood since he is head over heels about the wealthy CEO of his company. I think he says it's enough for him to see her laugh sometime. Even though there's an age gap, class gap, money gap, power gap, there's no affinity gap. He's sensitive, quotes Rilke, loves that outdoor art gallery of paintings, loves the sea. He takes her to what he calls a great coffee place which is really just a bench looking out at the ocean. They are soul mates. Will societal constraints prevent two such perfectly attuned people from getting together/staying together?Curious to see where the writer goes with this. 

• Like 21

I completely agree that this drama is addressing  society’s prejudice and even misogyny in korean society but even so, I also look at Encounter as a coming of age story of SH and her journey to her own happiness. In a sense I find her romance with JH as a means to an end. As in this drama isnt about their romance but really about her alone. 

This said, i could have skimmed over this but how old is SH in this drama? Her ex husband is in his late 30s but for her, I gather she was at most only 34?

• Like 18

25 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I agree with everything you said.

Let me just add that, maybe this show isn't just about the gaps but also maybe the unfairness the society have against female? Maybe that's one of the points of this story: Them ending up together is possible and not a fairy tale.

I agree that it is highlighting double standards and unfairness to women. Heck, if SH had been a man and JH the woman, this would just be a normal romance. :)

I like your speculation about a happy ending. I had initially thought that this would have a memorable ending rather than a happy ending since it was being promoted as a melodrama. However, having read a couple of articles now, it seems to be being promoted more as a romantic drama rather than a romantic melodrama, so a happier ending is possible. So not sure, if my confusion about this had to do with reading in translation versus reading in Korean.

Still, I think they could make a good case for an ending in which SH and JH aren't together any more despite their love for each other or an open ending given how much they have to bridge between their worlds. That they come together to love each other, and then return to their own spheres being stronger people, especially since the two people are at different stages of their lives. But, I also think that the strongest case for a happy ending may be the demands of the viewers who want SH and JH to be happy, especially now that they've sold the drama to 100 countries.  I have to say that I personally want to see SH and JH kick the system and stay together, though not sure how they'll do that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I agree that it is highlighting double standards and unfairness to women. Heck, if SH had been a man and JH the woman, this would just be a normal romance. :)

I like your speculation about a happy ending. I had initially thought that this would have a memorable ending rather than a happy ending since it was being promoted as a melodrama. However, having read a couple of articles now, it seems to be being promoted more as a romantic drama rather than a romantic melodrama, so a happier ending is possible. So not sure, if my confusion about this had to do with reading in translation versus reading in Korean.

Still, I think they could make a good case for an ending in which SH and JH aren't together any more despite their love for each other or an open ending given how much they have to bridge between their worlds. That they come together to love each other, and then return to their own spheres being stronger people, especially since the two people are at different stages of their lives. But, I also think that the strongest case for a happy ending may be the demands of the viewers who want SH and JH to be happy, especially now that they've sold the drama to 100 countries.  I have to say that I personally want to see SH and JH kick the system and stay together, though not sure how they'll do that.

I read the articles as well and i think it depends on the interpretation of how you perceive it- i read somewhere that the intention of the script would take on a movie- like quality which I interpreted as “open ended” as most Korean movies are in my opinion. The quality of the actual dialogue is more in tune with korean movies which makes sense because i read somewhere the scriptwriter wrote for movies and not dramas (or not too much experience). Hence the high production value and the nuanced acting synonymous with korean movies.

I also think that the way the drama is going is a social commentary and not trying to make a great point or another. More like- it points out an issue or observation on korean society as a whole and up to the audience to do something about it or not. Similar to the drama Miseng.

• Like 13

so finally up to date with this drama. lett me say how I am falling for our girl SH. I mean she is really talented in her work, and they way she proudly talk about how she turned the hotell managing into success is very impressive. It is not often we see a female lead as her being good at her work and also how she handle herself. The best part is how she is getting out of her shell and is smiling more. 

JH is surprising me in the way he is handling stuff and also how he only think about how SH is feeling. They both make my heart fluter :wub:

Regarding a happy ending. The more I think about the more I think we gonna get it. even if there is a big mountain to reach. I think SH father gonna surprise us going forward. I mean he clearly is done with ex laws and want the best for his girl. So when SH is gonna be vocal about what she want for the first time, I think he gonna step up for his daughter. Also I think this is a story about breaking expected rules and reaching for your happiness to get our fulfilled life. No mater how good SH is at her work there have clearly been missing something from her life.

But lett see what writer gonna do. I feel so far they have surprised us with how character have reacted to events so far!  

• Like 17