Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Why Cuba?

Like what JH said, the world is wide and vast, there so many countries....

Maybe, just like our couple's relationship, Cuba has been to many revolutions and turmoils.

I came across Cuba's motto, " homeland or death, we shall overcome".

This should not be interpreted litetally for it is not to be, If ever the motto has connection to the flow of the drama. For me, though i still need to ponder the meaning more, it may mean : obstacles caused by family or caused by unforeseen one that is like a matter of life and death, they shall overcome together.

• Like 12

Song Hye-kyo, Park Bo-gum's 'Encounter' will be shown in more than 100 nations

2018/12/14 13:42

SEOUL, Dec. 14 (Yonhap) -- TvN's television series "Encounter" will air in more than 100 countries, CJ ENM, the owner of the cable channel, said Friday.

The South Korean entertainment giant said the romantic drama, starring Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum, will be available on various global online streaming platforms, including Viki, as well as pay-TV service providers like Now TV in Singapore. Mnet Japan has also bought the broadcast rights to the popular series and will air the 16-part series in March.

"Many overseas partners had shown a strong interest in the series for the star cast and producer Park Shin-woo's proven production ability, even before its premiere," said Seo Jang-ho, head of the global content department at CJ ENM. "We expect the domestic popularity to spread overseas."

The romantic drama premiered in Korea on Nov. 28 and revolves around Cha Soo-hyun (played by Song), a high-powered politician's daughter who divorced a man from a chaebol family, and an ordinary young man named Kim Jin-hyuk (Park), who happens to work at the hotel Cha is running. The latest episode, aired Thursday, recorded 8.6 percent in its viewership rating, according to Nielsen Korea. 

This image provided by tvN shows an official poster for "Encounter," a new television series on the cable channel. (Yonhap)This image provided by tvN shows an official poster for "Encounter," a new television series on the cable channel. (Yonhap)

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20181214005400315?section=tongtongtv/news

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vvpal said:

He has been doing the daddy long legs thing and helping her behind the scenes, so obviously he loved her and continues to love her.  I think  he fabricated the affair and forced his mom to let them divorce when he realized he would hurt her more to keep her in the marriage. He un-cuffed her.  That said, I think he will turn to the dark side (this is a drama and we have 10 episodes left :D) and start creating trouble forour OTP because of his jealousy.

I believe, you misunderstood me. I am pretty well aware that JWS loved and loves her and didn't cheat on her. BUT since he told her that he had fallen in love with another woman and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, for CSH it was like he has been "cheating" on her and had never loved her. Yes, through his gesture he wanted her to leave his family but he had in his mind that she would come back later to him. It doesn't matter if he has been fabricating the story because CSH is not aware of this. He did hurt her with his lies...

As for the daddy long leg, there is a reason why CSH refuses his help just like CSH's close friends. They don't want to be indebted to him. They don't know what he will ask after helping her. Due to the past, they are very cautious around him. Since his mother is manipulative, they also think, JWS is not different. They are not entirely wrong as he is trying to manipulate behind her back. Sure, his intention is to win her heart. Nonetheless, he is unwilling to let her know that he loves her. He wants her love without telling her that he loves her because he wants to have the upper hand in the couple. Maybe he is scared that his love could be used as a weakness. 

And the episode 6 proved one more time to me that JWS is not powerless. He threatened director Choi which outlines that he can even work against his mother's plan... 

• Like 19

I am posting this just so we get the right information. There are several articles with this news.

The 'boyfriend' 6th viewership rate was 8.6% and 10.1%, respectively, for cable-based, IPTV, and satellite-based pay-per-view platforms. The TVN target (male and female 2049) recorded an average 4.4% and 4.8%, respectively, and occupied first place in all channels including terrestrial broadcasting. (Paid platforms nationwide / provided by Nielsen Korea)

http://mnews.imaeil.com/Entertainments/2018121408475852155#cb

To back it up

70mEinM.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encounter_(South_Korean_TV_series)#Ratings

As you will note, ratings slightly went up for the latest episode.

Just to set records straight.

• Like 18

let's the hands do the talking1f46b.png

704aqb8jdjk0.gif

Spoiler

2z0xkheawxec.gif

DuWPf3pW4AAY6R6.jpg

and  Mr Nam approved:D

halrjox2uqwn.jpg

ner08ux3lu09.jpg

vu13ptdaoigl.gif

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dvrels said:

Seriously CSH mother, she is hopeless, choose her own desire over her relationship with her daughter, she is too ambitious, i feel bad for CSH, luckily she got her father. The painting in CSH office room, make me sad, that girl seating alone while watch the tree 

*How can Kang Moo Yeon mother personality change so much when she has CSH as her daughter :blink:*

Oh yeah, I love how the same actress plays Song Hye-Gyo's mom in both shows. But very different personalities!

She's a great actress. She didn't do much in DOTS, but she was a great Bad Mom in Oh Hae-Young. And she was a great Good Mom in Mother.

Here, she might be the worst mom of all. Because the Bad Mom in Oh Hae-Young sort of atoned for her misdeeds by the end.

A couple more thoughts:

- I love how the Ramen scene and the "some" scene - aside from being swoooony - also works so well to neutralize their enemies. If you tell the truth, the baddies can't use it against you.

- Looks like Soo-Hyeon's dad is firmly on her side, and doesn't give a fig about the evil MIL. If these two moms really want to make the dad President of Korea, doesn't HE have to agree to it? He doesn't seem interested in doing what they want, so it looks like Game Over to me. What are they even fighting and hissing about?

• Like 14

I finally had the time to watch both episode today and what a roller coaster ride it is. 

My cheeks hurt watching those two. Aigoo....

highlight of the 5th episode for me is how both of them gathered their courage and took the plunge to have “some” relationship. KJH is courageous enough to ask her that question, and in turn CSH gathered her courage to say yes. *fist in the air*

And highlight of episode 6 for me was when KJH went to see his teacher to have some tea alone, when the teacher said,

For you, it’s not “some” relationship... you really like her...

his face changed as if he has been caught. And to think that how he asked for a some relationship first, he really is being considerate towards CSH. 

for me this is where KJH won against JWS. Not that I’m belittling JWS love for CSH, it’s just KJH wears his feeling on his sleeve and really went all out on her. 

that muffler scene... that necktie scene... cemented how small gestures seemed like leaps and bounds for them. 

As for the holding hand scene.... if KJH did not point out why she doesn’t want to take a chance with him, maybe she wouldn’t even think of holding his arm. 

Does anyone knows the song playing after they held hands? That song is so nice it seemed to ring in my ears even when I’m not watching. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Awesome analysis in this forum..Finished watching EP 6 subbed, and I could see lot of foreshadowing!! 

1. The "garden"  of the hotel that CSH refers to in Cuba - its the same hotel  that KJH liked in Ep1 (as pointed out earlier by one of our chingus in this forum). So we can defnly expect some scenes in Cuba related to the hotel

2. CSH said that Cuba hotel is expected to be ready by next new year - which means that most likely we will see a time jump to next year end since there are some Cuba scenes that we are yet to see..hopefully the hotel will see the marriage of the OTP?

3. WS came between his mom and KJH  and in a way defused the scene. Also both times when WS intereacted with KJH he was polite and not rude . I believe he will play a key role in helping them get together . After Ep6 am convinced that he will not be the bad guy in this series...now I feel lil sad for his unrequited love..but as pointed out by our expects he had hi chance and he blew it.

Reg. Cuba  future scenes :)here's the video in spoiler I found earlier this week.

Now, am more convinced of a happy ending :wub:

Spoiler

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 12:02 PM, haha1999 said:

New here. First ever post. Really like this drama. Another foreshadowing if I may: CSH is going to help JH make the tie, no more zippy :D

Bull's eye! :D:D

Edited by haha1999
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe, you misunderstood me. I am pretty well aware that JWS loved and loves her and didn't cheat on her. BUT since he told her that he had fallen in love with another woman and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, for CSH it was like he has been "cheating" on her and had never loved her. Yes, through his gesture he wanted her to leave his family but he had in his mind that she would come back later to him. It doesn't matter if he has been fabricated the story because CSH is not aware of this. He did hurt her with his lies...

I'm torn when it comes to JWS. I was under the impression that he really cheated on her. However, as this drama has progressed, it's become pretty obvious that he loves her. I would like to think that he was pretending that he cheated on her, but in the first couple of episodes I didn't get the impression he was pretending. Not only that, I don't know what he would have gained from doing so if he really loved her at the time. Could be he wanted to set a caged bird free, but I'm not sure.  I think over the years after seeing her take a failing hotel and turn it around and make it profitable, he probably realized what he lost. When his mother mentioned to him that she would like for them to get back together, it was like she planted this seed in him. He also thought that she would never go with another man just because of her personality; however, he now has competition.

I have a feeling that our leads will separate for a couple of years. I hope they separate because I need to male lead to become a "man"; someone that she can lean on; someone who can protect her. Right now he seems like a young kid; I want to see a confident man.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noonainwaiting said:

Every now and then she smiles, it really makes my day." 
-I had written earlier just how much JH values SH's smile and how he's striving to be the one who brings out that side for her. I don't find it to be a "savior complex" from his side, more like he is trying to be an equal partner to her in the best way he can.

THIS! Made me remember a certain namja saying 

“I feels like a useful person when I see you smile because of me”

i’m so deep in that ship and when KJH said thissss. I meltttttt. 

This is when the teacher said that the relationship its not just “some”, he really do like CSH. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

I'm torn when it comes to JWS. I was under the impression that he really cheated on her. However, as this drama has progressed, it's become pretty obvious that he loves her. I would like to think that he was pretending that he cheated on her, but in the first couple of episodes I didn't get the impression he was pretending. Not only that, I don't know what he would have gained from doing so if he really loved her at the time. Could be he wanted to set a caged bird free, but I'm not sure.  I think over the years after seeing her take a failing hotel and turn it around and make it profitable, he probably realized what he lost. When his mother mentioned to him that she would like for them to get back together, it was like she planted this seed in him. He also thought that she would never go with another man just because of her personality; however, he now has competition.

I have a feeling that our leads will separate for a couple of years. I hope they separate because I need to male lead to become a "man"; someone that she can lean on; someone who can protect her. Right now he seems like a young kid; I want to see a confident man.

I’m torn about JWS too. Watching him so far up to episode 6, he was most pitiful when he bumpes into CSH while trying on a new suit. 

For the viewers, it is very telling that the picky woman he was referring to was CSH but for her, it wasn’t the case. Her facial reaction is silently violent, since it reminded her that their marriage collapse because of a 3rd person. 

In my opinion, she tried her best (in her own CSH way) but he choose the easy way out to let her go instead of fighting together.

remember KJH said lets allow the feeling inside them fight and she was like... fight? She was lost in thought for a bit then agrees to “some” relationship. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

Yes CSH behaves too much like a teenager in first love.. anticipating a time jump where he mans up both in work and in person..

• Like 9

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

I like this scenario very much.. I still think he was loving CSH all the way.. He might have tried relationship with other girl.. But seeing the wallpaper on his phone it seems he was always struck on CSH!! .. He has that two sides where he checks out KJH's tie n feels assured that CSH might have not given him tie.. But he knows the truth but still He wants to thing sorts!!.. I want to know more n more abt him to give judgement abt him.. He came Two times n saved KJH knowing his relationship with CSH.. I don't know whether it's to help CSH or he has a big heart!! I m actually very confused by his behavior.. I can understand CSH's condition in marriage!! 

• Like 13

I just finished watching E6. This episode is all about establishing a demarcation line.

The first line were established by Congressman Cha against CSH's ex-mother in law. Congressman Cha I think is now politically savvy that he can now shield himself and will no longer bow to the wishes of CSH's ex-mother in law. A lot of pressure will eventually be thrown against Congressman Cha but I think he now knows he can defend himself in the political battlefield. 

The second demarcation line was established by CSH herself. With all the media present at the party and all important hotel officials and guest around, she announced her relationship with KJH. With that announcement, all the intentions of the evil people including MIL, CSH's mother, the Board of Director who planned the question came crashing down. The announcement this time around is no longer about friendship with KJH but it has now evolved into a serious relationship. It's like CSH telling everyone to stay away from her relationship. I was smiling like a cheshire cat looking at the faces of Secretary Jang, Mr. Nam,  CSH mother,  the announcer, the MIL, the Director and CSH ex-husband. The line has been drawn. I'm happy for both CSH and KJH:thumbsup::D:sweatingbullets::wub:

• Like 17

Popular korean makeup YouTuber Haneulina who is a big fan of SHK uploaded a makeup tutorial for CSH’s look. Great production value, she even got the real $900 Avouavou red dress.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3