Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

54 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

Watching this episode, I feel so sorry for SH's ex-husband WS 

I barely understands Korean but I guess that he is still trying to help her behind the scene instead  of venting his jealousy on her.

SH is pretty harsh on him. He seems happy to meet her at the tie shop but she barely acknowledges him and walks out quickly. Of course, I know they ended up on a divorce due to his "cheating", his mom and her mom are pressuring them to get back together and it is not a good idea to talk with your ex-husband when you are buying a tie for a guy you like; plus SH doesn't know how he truly feels about her.  Still, poor guy. And he has to witness SH helping JH with his tie and how they smile at each other. I don't blame SH for treating WS like that; just that...if only she is a little bit less harsh on WS.  At least she knows WS tries to help her with the painting issue against his mother's wish; why still so harsh on him.

I know WS purposely goes to JH's workplace to size him up, but at least so far WS still has not done anything harmful to JH at all, despite he has a reputation of being scary. He can't just help but being jealous and is curious about SH's new interest. If he is truly obsessive with the idea of owning SH like an object - just like his mom,  both JH and SH should be in much more trouble than now.

Somehow, WS and JH's friend HI are quite alike, until now. They are sad seeing the person they love come to like someone else but have not turn their back on that person. Of course we can't hope that they are supportive of such relationship. Maybe their methods of display emotion is not suitable or their timing is off... whatever it is, things don't work because they are just not the right people for WS and JH.

WS has the means to make things difficult for JH and SH, if he wants to. I just sincerely hope he doesn't side with his mother and instead will end up going against her wish to gain freedom for himself. He deserves to be free like SH to live his own life - everyone does. And hopefully one day, at least he and SH can have a proper, honest talk with each other.

Honestly, if you discover that your husband wants to marry someone else as he fell in love in another woman or cheated on you (because that's what he told her), wouldn't you feel hurt and would you be able to act as if nothing had happened? I wouldn't... Moreover, in a lot of divorce cases, the ex-spouse is more harsh than that, they sometimes try to ruin the life of the ex-spouse. CSH is just cold, distant but firm and I agree with her behavior. He keeps trying getting close to her, to intrude in her life.

I don't feel sorry for JWS because his prison is self-made and not forced by his mother. The latter is using every tricks to force CSH to come back... she knew that her son loved CSH and tormented her for not loving her son back. JWS knows now that his mother knew all along about his feelings, yet he doesn't really stop his mother. He is just doing control damages. JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH over her own mother. He is facing less pressure than CSH. My question is: does he know about the clause in the divorce contract? If not, then this underlines how superficial his care and worrying is because he could have influenced his mother otherwise ... if not, then he is responsible for CSH's terrible situation.

Yes, JWS and HI are similar. They thought, time was on their side, which is quite stupid. There is nothing free in this world. In order to be loved, you need to work for it. JWS and HI never confessed their love to the other and that's their own mistake. JH was just nice to her, he even said that she was a friend. So if she wanted something else, she should have been more proactive. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

DRAMA: BOYFRIEND EP. 6

Original Article: [star news] 'Boyfriend' Park Bogum And Song Hyekyo Some 1st Day "It's Spring For Us Already"

0002748465_001_20181213215424351.jpg?type=w540

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-12-13%2Bat%2B10.48.15%2BPM.png

1. +1748, -89 Romantic and straight-forward Park Bogum is so heart-fluttering ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. +1223, -67 Park Bogum really suits this character
3. +1093, -90 Song Hyekyo is so beautiful..
4.+610, -30 Park Bogum is so handsome
5.+188, -5 It may seem like a some but it's already a relationship where they both love each other. Jinhyuk-ie Suhyun-ie you both are the only ones who don't know
6.+124, -9 Song Hyekyo is pretty seriously
7.+53, -3 Jinhyuk-ie and Suhyun-ie match well

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

A translation of the preview for episode 7.

JH: At first, I was only planning on running to Han River. Because that would be hard, I thought my desire to see you would disappear then. (me: He's referring to the exertion of the run tiring him out so that it would cause his desire to see SH recede. It obviously didn't happen since the implication is that he may have run all the way to SH after all. :D)
Nam: Oh! I can’t drive… Just a moment. Just a moment. (me: LOL. Seems to be a “needing the bathroom” excuse to let the lovebirds have a moment.)
Director: Just because of you, Cha Soo Hyeon’s position of being CEO is in jeopardy, you youngster.
SH: I lived thinking that anything that I might want was not possible. For the first time, I’ve become the owner of my own life.

edit: I noticed at the end of the episode, there is one extra line, though it's not in this clip. That line is SH saying after her line about becoming the owner of her life above, "It's not because of anyone or anyone else's fault."

The OTP is still being cute, though reality and the consequences of their choice to explore being together continues to chase them.

So, not completely caught up yet on this drama, bit I should mention that the pacing in this drama seemed a bit off to me at times. However, I wonder if that was done somewhat deliberately now to show their idyllic meeting that meandered on, and now as pressures pile on, to quicken the pace as a way to increase the tension. Even if so, I'm not sure that it entirely works for me.

What they are doing rather well, however, is crafting an OTP that I want to root for, despite their insurmountable odds at actually being able to be together. It's like the choice that SH is potentially going to be facing of choosing either JH or basically her whole world, including her job and her family. When one has so much, it is very hard to leave everything behind to go to a subsistence living situation.

It's still not clear to me whether this drama tends to take the more realistic ending of having the OTP part at the end, or to keep it in a more fairytale realm and allow them to stay together.

But, I do feel bad for SH's ex-husband, and hope that he finds a measure of freedom from his cage as well, even if he doesn't end up with the love of his life, SH.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:06 AM, bebebisous33 said:

Honestly, if you discover that your husband wants to marry someone else as he fell in love in another woman or cheated on you (because that's what he told her), wouldn't you feel hurt and would you be able to act as if nothing had happened? I wouldn't... Moreover, in a lot of divorce cases, the ex-spouse is more harsh than that, they sometimes try to ruin the life of the ex-spouse. CSH is just cold, distant but firm and I agree with her behavior. He keeps trying getting close to her, to intrude in her life.

I don't think CSH should get back together with her ex-hubby either, but I'm not sure that he did cheat on SH. Rather, I think he gave the appearance of cheating on SH, probably in an attempt to make SH jealous and feel something for him. The reason I think so is because there is a scene in a past episode where WS is eating dinner with his secretary who asks him how long they have to keep this up. Though this scene was set up with some ambiguity, that along with his flashbacks of meeting SH leads me to think that he had not cheated after all, though he tells her that he did.

Having said that, once he tells her that he cheated and demands a divorce from her, then I think SH's reaction was the right one. That's why I say that if it was a ploy on his part to get reactions from SH, then it's backfired on him in a massive way. How much of this his mother knows or suspects is open to speculation, also, though, I think she's aware of how much her son loves SH. His mother can't have known this all along, however, because I can't see why she would countenance a divorce between them, if she thought that her son still wanted SH.

One can feel sympathy for a character who is being an idiot, especially when he's thoughtless, careless, and frustrated rather than actively mean. My opinion anyway.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

This drama excels both in its message and in consistently conveying that message through its powerful, well-executed narrative.

PD Park Shin Woo: "Our drama is a lovely story about the small and great shows of courage that are displayed from the beginning stages of having a crush until something significant occurs." 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1266831wpp/song-hye-kyo-shares-thoughts-age-difference-park-bo-gum

@stroppyse: Thanks for camping in the thread. I will comment about the pacing of the drama and the plausible ways by which the OTP can have a realistic happy ending.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I think whether the ex-husband cheated or not is irrelevant. If you defend him saying he did it to "make her jealous", thats one extreme way of doing it. he couldve make some remarks on women when they are together instead of going to the extreme. Plus he should've known her personality by then to risk it.

Plus i honestly believe he really did have affair or he made it very real like one. His mom wouldn't let them divorce and give her the hotel without any evidence. Maybe he planted evidence but whatever the reason he wanted out and now he regrets it. 

• Like 12

Had to sign and join the fun here... been watching from day 0 and been lurking around here for updates for a while now. 

JinHyuk is sooooo adorable... every time he smiles just melts everything in me...! like i just want to keep this guy in my pocket seriously!!! can we clone him!!!??? 

Suhyun is sooo pretty and soooo perfect... that level of elegance in every inch.... but when she cries, oh you would just start crying with her and when she bickers, she so darn cute!!! how could that be possible...? she isn't human...promise!

i love how they change or gave an alternate title on this drama... because really... it's all about that spark when they first and every time they "Encounter" each other - it's the timing whenever one is the for the other. 

a big thank you to those who are recapping live... you dont know the kind happiness you are bring to the less privileged to watch the live broadcast like me!!! hihihi...!

xoxo, 

kym - (why did i sign in, why did i wrote here oh yeah...i love this and i am enjoying this and i am feeling in love with this...so decided to hang in here around here for good!) 

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

Just now, Dr_Fangirl said:

Ending scene recap for those who wants to read it.hehehe

And the award goes to....

hahaha

Thanks much!

I thought I was going to bed without an English translation/recap. :heart: and die in my sleep in the process. with a smile still 

:relieved::yum:.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

59-E47642-E3-F8-4-E97-9-BEA-0-B6-E8-C26-

It appears that the ship is Argo Navis, a symbolic archetype of a great ship which crosses the waters of the Deluge. The Argo Navis finds references in the Bible, Egyptian, Greco-Roman and Hindu mythology. 

The flying fish is the constellation of Volans, the constellation is represented by a type of tropical fish that can jump out of the water and glide through the air on wings. In early celestial maps, the flying fish was often depicted as accompanying the ship Argo Navis. 

06-DFE290-4-EF3-4027-9-C37-DAB9-B7-ADD92

The man ( KJH) and woman( CSH) on the ship the animation could be referencing the Myth of the Egyptian gods Osiris and Isis ( husband and wife) who escaped the deluge on the Argo Navis. The big waves represent the deluge which in the drama context would be the never ending problems for the main leads. 

Image of the Argo Navis with the Volans

3-F7-C6-DED-1481-4-E7-C-BE34-588-AF4303- 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 14

Just now, KymberleeD said:

Had to sign and join the fun here... been watching from day 0 and been lurking around here for updates for a while now. 

JinHyuk is sooooo adorable... every time he smiles just melts everything in me...! like i just want to keep this guy in my pocket seriously!!! can we clone him!!!??? 

Suhyun is sooo pretty and soooo perfect... that level of elegance in every inch.... but when she cries, oh you would just start crying with her and when she bickers, she so darn cute!!! how could that be possible...? she isn't human...promise!

i love how they change or gave an alternate title on this drama... because really... it's all about that spark when they first and every time they "Encounter" each other - it's the timing whenever one is the for the other. 

a big thank you to those who are recapping live... you dont know the kind happiness you are bring to the less privileged to watch the live broadcast like me!!! hihihi...!

xoxo, 

kym - (why did i sign in, why did i wrote here oh yeah...i love this and i am enjoying this and i am feeling in love with this...so decided to hang in here around here for good!) 

so good you too chose to :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

@stroppyse

I don't think CSH should get back together with her ex-hubby either, but I'm not sure that he did cheat on SH. Rather, I think he gave the appearance of cheating on SH, probably in an attempt to make SH jealous and feel something for him. The reason I think so is because there is a scene in a past episode where WS is eating dinner with his secretary who asks him how long they have to keep this up. Though this scene was set up with some ambiguity, that along with his flashbacks of meeting SH leads me to think that he had not cheated after all, though he tells her that he did

I also believe that he didn't cheat on her but that's not the point. It is about the impression he gave, the pain he caused. Falling in love with another woman and saying to the official wife, he fell in love with another woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her is actually like cheating. As a married man he is supposed to be loyal and faithful and not look at other women. These words have the same impact than adultery... Moreover, CSH is not someone who will express her feelings hence JWS is assuming that she never loved him back. I sense that she did have some affection for him but in his eyes, it was never shown because she never smiled like that. But affection can be shown in  many different ways. In my opinion, he was used to be pursued by women and he thought that being treated like this means to be loved. CSH has been raised differently, therefore it could be that JWS just overlooked it.  CSH showed interest towards JH with gaze, her hands aso... did JWS pay attention to her body language? I doubt it, I also think that JWS is not subtle and not sensitive enough to pay attention to people's feelings. From my point of view, he is the exact opposite of JH. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I don't feel sorry for JWS because his prison is self-made and not forced by his mother. The latter is using every tricks to force CSH to come back... she knew that her son loved CSH and tormented her for not loving her son back. JWS knows now that his mother knew all along about his feelings, yet he doesn't really stop his mother. He is just doing control damages. JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH over her own mother. He is facing less pressure than CSH. My question is: does he know about the clause in the divorce contract? If not, then this underlines how superficial his care and worrying is because he could have influenced his mother otherwise ... if not, then he is responsible for CSH's terrible situation.

Yes, JWS and HI are similar. They thought, time was on their side, which is quite stupid. There is nothing free in this world. In order to be loved, you need to work for it. JWS and HI never confessed their love to the other and that's their own mistake. JH was just nice to her, he even said that she was a friend. So if she wanted something else, she should have been more proactive. 

I think you are too strict on WS. But then, it's what you think and I am not trying to change that.

First of all, I already said I don't blame SH for being harsh on WS. I understand why she acts that way towards WS. But WS does try to help her - that's a fact, even though she doesn't want to accept his help. 

Secondly, I don't really see signs of WS trying to intrude of SH's life. They barely met in private after the divorce and he did not try being nice to her by saying sweet words. He did what SH asked him to by telling him mom not to mess up with the hotel or get them back. He was worry about his mom interfering in painting issues and try to solve it for SH.  Yes, he brought a dress because he remembers SH's birthday but he doesn't want to make the receiver feel pressure so he makes it seems like he casually picked up on the way without putting much effort - just like how a jerk he is in SH's eyes. When the gift was returned, he didn't seem to be offended by it. Yes, he looked up JH's information, he is just SH's ex and he doesn't have the rights to tell SH to stay away from JH or make JH stay away from SH. But he still has feeling for SH, so it is normal for him to feel upset and jealous. So far, did he even do anything harmful to JH or give JH harsh words like his mother? 

Thirdly, you really think he can stop his mother? WS was born in a very wealthy and powerful family - his life was groomed to be the heir of a big corporation from the beginning. Look at how his mom can still go his office to talk about work - WS can be a director but it does not mean he has the full control of the corporation or family wealth. His mom is obviously the one leading everything. Remember when he threatened his mother that he would live his own life - she remarked what own life is that. WS and SH never had their own life because of the environment they live they but also because they made their choice - not to go against their parent's wish, not to abandon their status. SH's prison was self-made too. Her mom forced her to get married but she could say no as an adult and chose her own life - she didn't. SH can't change her own mom's thinking or stop her, what make you think WS can change or stop his mom? These two moms are basically hopeless human-being. WS's life is sad in its own way. What can he do other than trying to solve damages that his mom causes? He can only be free if he abandon everything to choose his own path - it requires courage and a big push. SH finally finds that push in JH in her thirties; WS need his push too. 

I never feel sorry for WS for his failed marriage. Not information to know what went wrong but he is obviously not the right man for SH. I only feel sorry for the cage he was put in but he chose to stay in it until now.

And being proactive does not guarantee a happy ending; if you are not the right person, you can still fail. You can only guarantee that you don't feel regret for not trying, no matter what the result is. 

• Like 4

what i am really amazed is.. to see that transition from young cheerful polite stranger to a man who hardly ever says anything but is so stubborn!!

I like the way JH's stubborness is being shown to us.. every little word, every little action - the way he has pursued CSH because he liked her from the moment go.. (literally, not one word he said with respect to her was motiveless)

not daunted by society, rich status, relative life status - like nothing.

Very very confident and very strong personality - and the types who does not shout.

Plus a big shoutout to the fact that he is manipulative and very observant but then again you wouldn't notice it if you are not a 3rd party observing him.

I just like the layers in this character. CSH for now is pretty straight - repressed cinderella and so are other characters. But, i think i like MIL, hubby, and JH.. and just maybe daddy. He can't be that innocent.

i like how KJH looks small in front of all .. but in flashback scenes with HI.. he looks so much bigger - the one with the power/dominating - like college stud and HI is the smaller presence in the frame..

i don't know how they did it.. but that scene stands out, specially shop scene. KJH has never looked that big a presence in any frame till now which reflects the people he is with in the frame... but i guess the fact that HI is in one sided love hence she is the smaller one.

Don't know how to explain this.. but brilliance how they did it

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

#JinSoo sounds nice! Count me in!

I watched ep 6 raw and I just love the little intimate moments of holding hands...putting her hand with his in his pocket, celebrating their pre-relationship with a cake and coffee,  tying JH's tie, JH putting his scarf on CSH etc...Their expressions are simply so sweet and beautiful! Waiting for Eng sub to comment. 

Best moment for me for now is the final admission by CSH that she's in some relationship with the 'young' guy....KJH was deeply touched and could not hide his happiness....and their eyes locked together....it was sheer heaven to see this beautiful couple! I'm definitely shipping PBG with SHK as the most beautiful and sweetest screen couple! :D

• Like 19