[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@bebebisous33 - I think WS did make some effort. For example: he met the painter to get the painting for SH, drove 2.5 hours to Sokcho to give the dress for birthday party, etc.

However, you're correct that he's not making effort to know SH as a person...it maybe also that SH is just too cold or distant at that point so he felt rejected all the time. He should have been honest with SH from the beginning and shows his vulnerability from the get go and SH may have been staying as his wife. I think their marriage problems were actually solvable should they communicate,  adapt, and WS reigns on his mom....anyway, now it's too late and I hate for WS to continue to stalk and put hope on SH. He should move on and I hope we can see some growth from WS so that he can be happy also at the end. 

Regarding Secretary Jang, did anyone feel weird that she would brag about going to the culinary tour but never take SH there? I thought Sec Jang is SH's real friend...not so much then?

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, beebeep said:

@bebebisous33 - I think WS did make some effort. For example: he met the painter to get the painting for SH, drove 2.5 hours to Sokcho to give the dress for birthday party, etc.

However, you're correct that he's not making effort to know SH as a person...it maybe also that SH is just too cold or distant at that point so he felt rejected all the time. He should have been honest with SH from the beginning and shows his vulnerability from the get go and SH may have been staying as his wife. I think their marriage problems were actually solvable should they communicate,  adapt, and WS reigns on his mom....anyway, now it's too late and I hate for WS to continue to stalk and put hope on SH. He should move on and I hope we can see some growth from WS so that he can be happy also at the end. 

Regarding Secretary Jang, did anyone feel weird that she would brag about going to the culinary tour but never take SH there? I thought Sec Jang is SH's real friend...not so much then?

That's not the effort I meant. He needs to make an effort to show his love for her. The gestures he made can't be perceived as such by CSH. First, he destroyed everything with the note he left with the dress he chose: "I picked it up on my way there". The words were not reflecting his true intentions and in CSH's eyes, it looked like he had bought just like that... a casual gesture, nothing more. Meeting the painter is not an effort in my eyes too... because CSH never heard his speech and it could be seen as someone who wants to make sure that her opening can be ready on time... Like I said, he needs to put an effort in front of her!! He needs to convey his feelings properly. JH's feelings are visible on his face and his body language... it is not the same with JWS for CSH. You can complain that she was cold but JWS was not warm and open either.

Besides, don't forget that CSH doesn't have the same knowledge than we have as viewers. Even if he says that he loves her, she will never believe him and I wouldn't either. He spent 4 years with another woman and even "cheated on" her during their marriage... I would think that JWS is acting as a spoiled child who is hurt to see that his ex-wife is now attracted to another man.   

• Like 17

ep 8 more or less again shows that husband has actually given more to the relationship.

Given she never opened up to him, still he observes and recognizes small things about her.

2 hours ago, beebeep said:

nothing would have changed..

she told her mom right that she smiled when he heard of the divorce.. when she met him, she told him she is meant to make him like him.

She never loved him, and went in with a negative mindset.

So, actually kudos to the husband, who did fell in love with her and prioritize her over everyone else WITHOUT her telling him.

He has done so much more .. if at all he understands her.. but she has zero clue about him, because while everyone sympathizes with her, they also should consider that she was judgemental and compartmentalized people based on being rich/affluent/ ones her mom likes means they must be like her mom :P

it is sad to see her showing surprise when hubby told her he likes her. Her muted actions should mean wife's honest effort but his should be disregarded.. why???

And lastly, the only reason KJH world with CSH is because again, she already formed an opinion about him when he refused money.. otherwise KJH could have banged his head on wall and CSH would not have bothered

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

And lastly, the only reason KJH world with CSH is because again, she already formed an opinion about him when he refused money.. otherwise KJH could have banged his head on wall and CSH would not have bothered

Hahahahha funny how put the last sentence. It's interesting that your perception of CSH is that she's judgmental. I agree that SH and JWS are at fault for the failed marriage. They are intelligent people and they should have known that their marriage is doomed to be unhappy from beginning given the arranged marriage, MIL meddling, etc. It's unfortunate that they didn't seek help throughout that 2 year marriage since it could possibly be salvable at that time. 

Anyway, it's already too late now. WS should make ways for JH and SH and support them. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, waaw said:

About the kissing scene : i'm part of the few ? who don't have any complain about it, i'm still moved by it, i don't think i can tell in words what i felt (especially in english). 

Welcome!  I agree with you about the kissing scene.  I thought it was really sweet.  :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

To me, he doesn't really love her because he doesn't know the real CSH. He just believes, he loves her.

I agree. I think what WS is feeling right now is a sense of dominance. Like a toy he thought that's his is suddenly being taken from him. For him, being from chaebol family that he is, he is not really used to NOT having what he wants.

Recalling his musings while he was in his car and he sad "a concern between a brother to sister is love, right?". Let's say, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he JUST realized the he love her NOW. Still, he's just 25 minutes too late. :joy:

3 hours ago, jl08 said:

throwing caution to the wind even in the office! Heck the boss.

I am that person right now. hahahaha

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Wow.. kudos.. she has kissed some of the hottest men out there including her husband.. but she never never never does on-screen kiss. her lips are always tightly closed..

You must watch Worlds Within and Camellia, you'll be shocked :phew:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, ahdrianaa said:

I think you’re right about the tin man but if I could disagree with CSH’s mask. I think she is the (wo)man behind the iron mask, the real CSH had been locked up, hidden from the world and the false CSH was out and about. Now things are about to change 

I always love your ideas but I'm gonna hang onto my Green Man theory.  There's a butterfly on the mask and there are plants and flowers.  Those are branches reaching out of the top.

JH chose that mask for her specifically, and I don't think he would ever want to refer to the fact that she had been caged in the past or to bring that back to her memory, much less to put such a weight of sorrow on her.  The Iron Mask would only be about the sad past, and JH is thinking into the future.  He respects that she has now become her own person.

Disagreeing is good; it's how we think things through.  :)  I say Green (Wo)Man.  

• Like 12

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

I agree. I think what WS is feeling right now is a sense of dominance. Like a toy he thought that's his is suddenly being taken from him. For him, being from chaebol family that he is, he is not really used to NOT having what he wants.

Recalling his musings while he was in his car and he sad "a concern between a brother to sister is love, right?". Let's say, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he JUST realized the he love her NOW. Still, he's just 25 minutes too late. :joy:

I am that person right now. hahahaha

You must watch Worlds Within and Camellia, you'll be shocked :phew:

Maybe its just me.. but she always was different with HB .. its like typical kdrama story.. jerky flirt flamboyant guy with less voluble Lizzy

5 hours ago, thistle said:

I think that he has been strong with her all along but he has never been in the position to have to press a point before.  JH has shown that he is able to stand his ground without making a fuss (like when he had to listen to MIL threatening him and he didn't obviously react or apologize) and that he makes up his own mind (like when he came to SH's rescue by coming out as the ramyeon date).  I think that SH already knows that she can rely on him because he has shown her that she can.  The fact that he's able to be more forceful this time shows growth in their relationship.  

@yonaomi123 I've only seen screen caps and they aren't too clear on showing the whole mask.  That's why I'm still wondering, too, but it seems like there are trees at the top of it?  I wondered if it was a reference to the Celtic Green Man (although I don't think that makes sense).  And I thought that the lacy-ness of the mask was a reminder of the opening animations.

.....editing to add that I just looked up Green Man.  He's a symbol of rebirth, regrowth, and spring.  Now that makes sense!  Remember JH saying that it felt like spring?  :)

yup right on tree mask.. it isn't just a steel coloured iron mask..

16 hours ago, thistle said:

Just saw the episode and it was wonderful (including the back of PBG's head during the kiss ;)).

I'm still thinking about those masks.  I really do think that SH's mask is Green Man.  And I loved that JH was the Tin Man (after all, that character just wanted to have a heart).

@ahdrianaa about CSH's mask... your ideas were interesting but honestly,  I would rather analyze the design of the mask, rather than identify the mask. Encounter episode 8 iron princess mask.pngThere are two things that caught my attention:

- There is no mouth. This means, she can not even speak with the mask

- The holes in the nose are so small. Breathing is difficult.

Suffocation and being speechless is what described CSH's past situation. Then we shouldn't forget that JH used to call her the Ice princess. Encounter episode 8 introduction mask.pngThe tree branches look like a crown... moreover, it also reminds me of ice picks as well. Under the tree branches, it looks like a decoration that a princess would wear. 

The texture reminds us of iron... CSH is a cold lady who doesn't show any emotion. Then the viewers can notice the flowers and plants on the mask. I had pointed out earlier her fascination for nature (garden, sea, mountains) and JH knows very well that CSH enjoys nature. They often walk together (episode 6, 8). To me, that's how JH views CSH that's why he created the mask. But we shouldn't forget that the mask she is wearing is not put on her face attached to her head. She needs to hold it... and this is an important clue. JH knows that the image of the ice -iron princess doesn't represent her true personality. This is a created image that was influenced by her surroundings... so by making the use different JH wanted her to feel more free, moreover it is easier to speak with her. JH wanted to see her face.

Moreover, by using a similar material, JH underlines their similarities: both are made of metal hence they are partners. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7