[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Posting the article of Soompi's tweet that @Jemrie posted.

5 Locations That Mark Pivotal Moments In Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyoâs Relationship In âEncounterâ

5 Locations That Mark Pivotal Moments In Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo’s Relationship In “Encounter”

Dec 12, 2018
by S. Park

tvN’s “Encounter” has cemented itself as a melodrama to watch this season.

“Encounter” tells the story of Cha Soo Hyun (played by Song Hye Kyo) who never got to make her own decisions to dictate her life and Kim Jin Hyuk (played by Park Bo Gum) who has a free spirit and pure soul. The drama has topped viewership ratings in its time slot during all four episodes so far.

Let’s explore the five key locations that have appeared in the series thus far. (There may be potential spoilers.)

1. Cuba

Cuba is where Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk met for the first time. For Cha Soo Hyun, who went to Cuba on a business trip to open a new branch of her hotel, this day was a getaway from her usual routine. For Kim Jin Hyuk, who saved up for a year to travel to Cuba, this was a dreamlike day for him as well.

Cha Soo Hyun initially planned to go to bed after taking a sleeping pill, but changed her mind because she wanted to see the sunset at Malecón Beach. Her taxi broke down and her bag was stolen, but she was able to arrive at the viewpoint to see the sunset. Her sleeping pill then kicked in and she almost fell from the wall she was sitting on. Cha Jin Hyuk spotted her and caught her just in time, then sat by her while she slept.

After a while, Cha Soo Hyun woke up and asked, “Do you have some money?” The two then spent an unforgettable day where they drank together, enjoyed the night view, walked the streets of Cuba bare feet, and salsa danced.

Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk may not have been able to become lovers or even friends if they had met in Korea, so their time together in Cuba was precious since they could solely focus on themselves without thinking of their social and company statuses. This also marked the beginning Kim Jin Hyuk becoming someone who allowed Cha Soo Hyun to breathe in her suffocating life.

Encounter-1.jpg

2. The playground

This playground was a place where Kim Jin Hyuk went to hide when he was scolded by his parents, had a lot on his mind, or was feeling happy. It’s a place that gives him both comfort and leisure, the kind of place that doesn’t exist for Cha Soo Hyun.

When Cha Soo Hyun visited this playground that is filled with Kim Jin Hyuk’s memories and warmth, she became closer to him as well. She was curious about Kim Jin Hyuk, who had joined her company as a new employee, and visited the playground after reading about it in his job application before running into him there. She was able to enjoy ordinary things with Kim Jin Hyuk such as looking at a film roll of photos he took in Cuba and trying to get dolls from a claw machine.

Cha Soo Hyun, who lived her whole life scheduled by someone else, was able to enjoy ordinary things, and Kim Jin Hyuk was able to see the loneliness within her. The bright smile that appeared on her face also showed the value of finding joy in small, ordinary parts of life rather than an outwardly luxurious life.

Encounter-2.jpg

3. Rest stop

The rest stop was where Cha Soo Hyun was able to find courage thanks to Kim Jin Hyuk. For Cha Soo Hyun, who wasn’t able to enjoy everyday things such as eating ramen at a rest stop, this is a place where she was once again able to revel in the ordinary joys of life with Kim Jin Hyuk.

The night before, she had driven a drunk Kim Jin Hyuk home after a company dinner. In the car, he drunkenly fed her dried squid and pulled all kinds of antics on her. The next day, Cha Soo Hyun made fun of him for his drunken behavior and suggested that they go to eat ramen at the rest stop.

They enjoyed their time together, but photos of them were unknowingly taken during this outing. These photos were then printed along with reports of a dating rumor. Through this incident, he was able to experience what her life is like and became more concerned about her than himself.

Spoiler

Encounter-3.jpg

4. The beach

Cha Soo Hyun has lived her life under the spotlight as the daughter of a politician and CEO of a hotel. On the other hand, Kim Jin Hyuk is an ordinary man with a positive mindset and carefree spirit who is a new employee at the hotel. The beach was the place where Cha Soo Hyun personally revealed her private thoughts to Kim Jin Hyuk, who fell asleep on her shoulder, as well as the place where he confessed his feelings for her.

After spending the day with Cha Soo Hyun at Sokcho, Kim Jin Hyuk listened to the radio before going to bed. Just then, the song they listened to together in Cuba played on the radio. He drove back to Sokcho in a heartbeat and told her, “I came because I wanted to see you.”

Cha Soo Hyun’s secretary, Jang Mi Jin (played by Kwak Sun Young), then came to see him and told him not to meet her boss anymore. In response, Kim Jin Hyuk told her, “This isn’t a playful curiosity. I think that it’s a meaningful thing for a person to hold another person in their heart, even if it’s for a little while.”

Spoiler

Encounter-4.jpg

5. Donghwa Hotel

Donghwa Hotel is where Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk reunited after spending a dreamlike day together in Cuba. Last week, Kim Jin Hyuk also gathered his courage to act on the behalf of Cha Soo Hyun and left a strong impression on viewers.

At the end of the fourth episode, Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk’s rest stop scandal and a post on Donghwa Hotel’s anonymous online bulletin board became the center of the employees’ gossip. Cha Soo Hyun was surrounded by employees who asked her for a response.

Just then, Kim Jin Hyuk said, “CEO! I have some money. I’ll buy today so eat ramen with me.” Despite the fact that he just revealed himself as the person in the dating rumor, he stood in front of Cha Soo Hyun and looked at her with a warm smile.

This made viewers look forward to the future storyline of this drama, which will continue to tell the story of a search for an ordinary life and freedom instead of power and wealth.

Spoiler

Encounter-5.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1276921wpp/5-locations-mark-pivotal-moments-park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyos-relationship-encounter

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The painting is drawn by artist Kim Whanki in 1970, titled (Where, in What Form, Shall We Meet Again? )

He was inspired by a poem written by his friend Kim Kwang Sop

Countless human beings on earth

There is only me in that star's eyes

Countless stars in the sky

There is only that star in my eyes

The night is getting darker

The stars are drowned by its ray

Such a deep emotion

One you and one me

Which year, which month , how to meet again?

006w90Z3gy1fy3sou4629j30k00u040r.jpg

006w90Z3gy1fy3ssrrun7j30t6131npd.jpg

• Like 16
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, redbeanbuns said:

Bogum still nice wearing high school uniform..n look so innocent..wanna pinch his cheek for sure :wub::P

Here's a close-up.

DuMIeQDUwAA8z1o.jpg

The resolution is not so good though. Will post a better one after getting a snapshot of this drama scene.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, khxy said:

The painting is drawn by artist Kim Whanki in 1970, titled (Where, in What Form, Shall We Meet Again? )

He was inspired by a poem written by his friend Kim Kwang Sop

Countless human beings on earth

Such a deep emotion

One you and one me

Ohhh i got tears just by reading the painting title and the poem.. i can't believe how much we learned just watching this drama.. we talked about roman holiday, greek mitology, poems, painting, places. 

Do i have to prepare my heart for whatever coming to JH&SH? T.T

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, gumtaek said:
:wub:

I think Encounter team do justice with the casting, not only the main leads, but everyone from Hye In, mr. Nam, mr. Park, JWS, Sec. Jang, are absolutely match their characters, and bring those character alive with their acting.

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 6

“Countless human beings on earth

Such a deep emotion

One you and one me

This poem is so deep! :bawling:

• Like 9

Park Bo Gum And Jeon So Nee Are High School Friends In âEncounterâ Flashback

Park Bo Gum And Jeon So Nee Are High School Friends In “Encounter” Flashback

Dec 12, 2018
by K. Lew

Park Bo Gum and Jeon So Nee share a long-lasting friendship in “Encounter.”

“Encounter” is about the romance between Cha Soo Hyun (played by Song Hye Kyo), the daughter of a powerful politician and former daughter-in-law of a wealthy family, and Kim Jin Hyuk (played by Park Bo Gum), a carefree young man.

The released photos show a flashback of Kim Jin Hyuk’s high school graduation. His long-time friend Jo Hae In (played by Jeon So Nee) gazes off sullenly into the distance in a school uniform. However, when Kim Jin Hyuk approaches her, she smiles brightly with a congratulatory bouquet of flowers in her arms.

Spoiler

Jeon-So-Nee.jpg

Park-Bo-Gum-1.jpg

Jeon-So-Nee-1.jpg

Previously, Jo Hae In half-jokingly told him that they should get married. However, when he was swept up in a scandal with Cha Soo Hyun and worried more about her than himself, Jo Hae In showed slight jealousy and disappointment. When offered a guaranteed promotion from Chairman Kim (played by Cha Hwa Yun) if she uploads gossip about the two on the company’s online forum, she refused and stated, “I have no interest in anything that will put Kim Jin Hyuk in danger.”

A source from the drama stated, “The upcoming episode will show why her friendship with Jin Hyuk is so precious to Hae In in a flashback. Please look forward to their close friendship.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1277121wpp/park-bo-gum-jeon-nee-high-school-friends-encounter-flashback

@redbeanbuns

Spoiler

He's simply Bo Gum to me. :)

@rosiepeonie188: Agree

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ohlalaw said:

i only read here and there but your words made me have to post here. which part did you mean he's not the good actor? please explain so i'd know a bit cause i watch all episodes and i didnt see  "lacks" you talked about. and He's not casted because of his handsome face or that smile. pbg is capable for his various roles and expressive eyes so to say he's not a good actor. seriously sounds bit too much for me (personally). i watch this drama just because of him and SHK and his role was the person who's clueless with the CSH world. so it's his character that he doesnt know the situation or how cruel of those chaebol society is and all he has was courage and kindness which contrast with others.

first two episode.. and his overzealous acting to come off as chirpy, cheerful and bubbly.. i think he got ok after the drunk scene and where he is not trying to impose upon audience that he is a cheerful character

8 hours ago, mellinadear said:

All I have to say is in spoiler.

Hide contents

Normally, I always lurk but I had to delurk for this.

Gummy is a good actor.

I have been his fan for a few years, I have watched him grow into the young man that he's become.

I have followed all dramas he has acted in and I am impressed by all.

And I find it darning when anyone says he can't act.

All you have to do is watch his previous dramas and make a judgment on them.

When he was casted in LITM, he had problems getting into his role, he couldn't connect with his character and we his fans knew but once he became one with that role, he slayed.

Maybe he hasn't blended together with his role for this drama but to say he can't act, I disagree. Call me biased or whatever but I disagree. 

You don't judge an actor on just one role you see him/her in for the first time, you watch their previous works( if you have time) and then make your assumptions. That's what I do. 

However, knowing him as a fan, Bogum never stops trying to challenge himself with roles and if he "lacks" in any department, he will make sure to fulfill/exceed expectations that are beneficial to him being an actor.

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0010518014

I read this article (using google trans ofcourse) and it talked about this show not being the usual "Cinderella" story but more of Don Quixote. The writer talks about why jinhyuk's character may seem so unrealistic.

It's easier to believe in a cinderella story, than to believe that a man like don quixote exists (which I'm sure some of us have questioned on why JH's character has it so easy despite coming from a poor background and why he's all smiley and full of life. Some of us have even questioned how to relate to him).

I just hope the drama doesn't end in a sad note cuz Don Quixote had a sad ending.

lol.. why do you assume i haven't watched his previous drama.. and i think the comment is obvious enough that he is being compared to caliber shown in previous works

• Like 1

Boyfriend is the no. 1 CABLE TV program (i.e. drama, entertainment show, etc.) in terms of household viewership and number of viewers from December 3-9, 2018.

Credit: Nielsen

P.S. I boldfaced it and increased its font size for our greater enjoyment. :D

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Yong Jun-hyung will participate in the third OST of TV drama tvN 'Boyfriend' and will be released at 6 pm on the 13th. 

Yong Jun-hyung's "Do not hesitate to say" is a song that lyrically captures the hearts of lovers who are beginning to love. Through this work, Yong Jun-hyung, who participated in the first solo, ost which is composed in the middle, will be combined with his deep sensitivity and drama atmosphere.

545WQq.jpg

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003356968

• Like 13