[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

After watching the 4 episodes, I've wondered many times how Cha Soo Hyun could hold out after what she has gone through...a mother who "pawned" her to fulfill her obssessive ambition of advancing her husband's political career, a loveless marriage made worse by a mother in-law whose sole purpose in life is the flourishing of the Taegyong Congomerate and the protection of her family's reputation as it impacts on the business, being subjected to an unreasonable, shackling divorce settlement, becoming a "media prey" most, if not all, of her waking hours. Anyone would have caved in a long time ago.

The answer? Her deep concern and consideration for her father.  Cha Soo Hyun is holding out because of her father's well-being, reputation and political career. You see this is Episode 2 when she reunites with her parents after her Cuban trip, and in Episode 3 when she calls her father to express her concern with regard to the impact of her "ramyun date scandal" on his work.

Several have accused CSH's father as a spineless man who couldn't rein in his wife, I wil not venture into that. What I would like to draw attention to is his relationship with his daughter: One of warmth and genuine concern asking her to get enough rest after her Cuban trip, assuring her (not berating her at all!) that the ramyun date scandal has not adversely affected his job, and instead, advising her not to skip her meals, expressing relief and joy at finding out from his friend, Mr. Nam, that his daughter is taking the "blows" well.

Afetr the long exposition about Cha Soo Hyun's resilience and her loving and warm relationship with her father, I wanted to post one scene in Episode 4 that thrilled me...

The scene where CSH celebrates her birthday with her parents and her father's gift was the same poetry book that Kim Jin Hyuk gave her...So like Jin Huk, CSH's appa is a lover of poetry!

wBzU6Od.png

Cha Soo Hyun ask her father if he also like this particular poet and he answered in the affirmative. And then the father asked Soo Hyun if she also liked the poet.

8eDEyD1.png

mqdkPJo.png

And my heart fluttered wildly with her answer!

wIojLzx.png

CSH: "Yes, I am starting to like him!" I don't think I am over-interpreting it when I say  this has "double meaning": That CSH directs this "I am starting to like him" to both the poet and Kim Jin Hyuk!

I think Cha Soo Hyun's father  and Kim Jin Hyuk will hit it off well if ever they get the chance to meet as they are both good men (if he is a friend of Mr. Nam and we know how grounded this Cupid Guardian is, I think CHS's father is, too.)  and both are lovers of poetry.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Guys

There's something I'd like to ask. 

I understand JH's behavior so far - it is in line with his character.  But there is one scene about SH that I kinda find rather odd: the scene where she asks JH who he was talking to on the phone. Is she curious and jealous or what?

At that point, to her JH is no more than a friend - someone nice who she spends a memorable day with. She seems a little bit dissapointed but then eventually is fine, thinking that he really has a girl friend. That does not stop her from wanting to spend her day with JH because it is not like she expect anything more than friendship from him.

I appreciate that SH is honest to her feeling and shows she does care about JH, which makes him find her cute. But is that kinda out of character? Of all the things SH ever says or does to JH, for me this is the one where the boundary of flirting and normal friendship is blurry the most. I can understand other actions, like why she comes to the playground or wants to eat ramen with JH. But that scene where she is curious why JH smiles so happily like that, I am not really sure her motive. I can only think of two possible reasons which I think can be acceptable: (1) he used to laugh happily like that with her during their dance so she is curious who can also make him do so (2) if he does have a girlfriend, it is probably hard to hang out with him since it can make his girlfriend uncomfortable.

Can anyone explain that scene to me?

• Like 7

5 Things We Loved From Episodes 3 And 4 Of âEncounterâ

5 Things We Loved From Episodes 3 And 4 Of “Encounter”

Dec 10, 2018

Encounter” is the new hit tvN K-drama starring Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo. The series started off strong, with breathtaking cinematography, solid storyline, and obviously the beautiful visuals courtesy of the two main leads. The high expectations that the series had set prior to the premiere were definitely met, and this past week’s episodes also proved to deliver. Here’s a look at five things we loved from episodes three and four.

Spoiler

1. LOVED: P.O’s appearance

P.O finally makes his appearance in episode 3 as Kim Jin Myung, the aegyo-filled and adorable younger brother of Jin Hyeok. His character is exactly what you would have expected out of P.O. His energy and personality light up the screen and if the series wasn’t full of good characters already, P.O is the icing on top of the cake.

encounter-po.png

It seems as though this family has a great relationship and even though the younger brother role might not be as significant, I’m really enjoying his scenes. It’s especially adorable seeing how tight-knit this family is and the heart-warming interactions Jin Myung has with Jin Hyeok. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of him in the episodes to come!

2. LOVED: Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyeok’s “date”

When Manager Nam Myung Sik (Go Chang Suk) invites Kim Jin Hyeok to go see Cha Soo Hyun in the “business trip” to Sokcho, we know right away that he’s trying to set Jin Hyeok up with Soo Hyun and we love him for it. Manager Nam feels the need to bring joy into Soo Hyun’s life and he knows that involves Jin Hyeok.

encounter.pngencounter-1.png

It was surprising to see the two meet so quickly after their scandal breaks out. Especially because Soo Hyun is in the public eye, I didn’t think Jin Hyeok would want to risk meeting each other, but I loved that they were able to reunite. Their chemistry is pretty undeniable and this particular part of the episode was so sweet. You could really feel Soo Hyun’s heart warming up to Jin Hyeok as she even laughs and smiles.

encounter-1.gif

3. LOVED: The poem

On Jin Hyeok and Soo Hyun’s “date” in Sokcho, Jin Hyeok gives her a book of his favorite poems along with a picture he had unknowingly taken of her when they were in Cuba. She smiles at the gesture and reads the poem, which is titled, “To You.”

encounter-3.png

This poem roughly translates into this:

I’m being told not to go, but there’s a road I wish to take.

While being told not to meet, there’s someone I wish to meet.

If you tell me not to, it makes me want to do it even more.

That is life and longing. That is you.

encounter-5.png

This poem is perfect in terms of embodying their relationship. They have feelings for each other, but it’s difficult for the two to be together because they’re from such different worlds. The poem is beautifully worded and is a not-so-subtle hint from Jin Hyeok, expressing his feelings for Soo Hyun.

4. LOVED: Park Bo Gum’s “I miss you” confession

Jin Hyeok hears the song that he and Soo Hyun had listened to together on the radio in Cuba. This causes him to drive back to Sokcho to her hotel in the middle of the night. Although he has some serious feelings that compel him to go see her, he doesn’t tell Soo Hyun right away of his feelings. He makes an excuse about wanting to eat at a particular restaurant. When they sit down to eat, Soo Hyun pushes Jin Hyeok about why he had driven back to Sokcho and he finally confesses.

encounter1.pngencounter-11.png

This part was so romantic and sweet. Maybe it’s because of the innocence and purity that Park Bo Gum exudes through his character, but it was enough to give butterflies. It was also the first time one of the two make any mention of their ambiguous relationship, so it was refreshing to see him clear the air because we know that Soo Hyun can’t be the one to make moves on him, considering the scandal that broke out.

I also loved the close-up of their shoes in this particular scene as it emphasizes the fact that they’re from totally different worlds.

encounter-2.png

5. LOVED: The public confession

When Soo Hyun is confronted in the main lobby of her company about the rumors involving her and an employee, Jin Hyeok takes it upon himself to reveal that he is the employee she is having a relationship with.

encounter-41.pngencounter-51.png

He calls out to her in the midst of the crowd and asks her to go eat ramyun with him. This particular confession scene was monumentally romantic for so many reasons, the main reason being that it was unpredictable. I would not have thought that Jin Hyeok would be that bold enough of a character to make that stand especially so early on in the series. And in front of all those workers!

The anticipation of what he was going to say next after he called out to her totally had me on the edge of my seat. And the lines following were perfection. It’s a confession that was enough to take our breaths away and is probably one of my favorite K-drama scenes this year.

encounter1.gif

encounter-11.gif

encounter-10.png

Oh, the dread of having to wait another week!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1274799wpp/5-things-loved-episodes-3-4-encounter

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

Guys

I understand JH's behavior so far - it is in line with his character.  But there is one scene about SH that I kinda find rather odd: the scene where she asks JH who he was talking to on the phone. Is she curious and jealous or what?

At that point, to her JH is no more than a friend - someone nice who she spends a memorable day with. She seems a little bit dissapointed but then eventually is fine, thinking that he really has a girl friend. That does not stop her from wanting to spend her day with JH because it is not like she expect anything more than friendship from him.

I appreciate that SH is honest to her feeling and shows she does care about JH, which makes him find her cute. But is that kinda out of character? Of all the things SH ever says or does to JH, for me this is the one where the boundary of flirting and normal friendship is blurry the most. I can understand other actions, like why she comes to the playground or wants to eat ramen with JH. But that scene where she is curious why JH smiles so happily like that, I am not really sure her motive. I can only think of two possible reasons which I think can be acceptable: (1) he used to laugh happily like that with her during their dance so she is curious who can also make him do so (2) if he does have a girlfriend, it is probably hard to hang out with him since it can make his girlfriend uncomfortable.

Can anyone explain that scene to me?

She just wanted to know who makes him smile like that soo brightly!! I don't think she has romantic kinda interest in it.. It's just her curiosity!! I guess she also wanted that kind of joy.. She wanted experience that kind of happiness in life.. She mentioned abt girlfriend stuff when he gave her his phone number.. She didn't wanna make his relationship to wrong if he was having one.. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

She just wanted to know who makes him smile like that soo brightly!! I don't think she has romantic kinda interest in it.. It's just her curiosity!! I guess she also wanted that kind of joy.. She wanted experience that kind of happiness in life.. She mentioned abt girlfriend stuff when he gave her his phone number.. She didn't wanna make his relationship to wrong if he was having one.. 

Yes, I also think it is not related to romantic motive at all because she is perfectly fine at that point if he has a girlfriend. Just that he smiled like that to her once so she is curious who can also do make him do that.  That is my very first explanation of the scene. I just wonder if JH understands that  or he thinks she has some romantic interest in him :lol: 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

Guys

It's both but the latter, i.e., jealousy was prompted by her Secretary/best friend's response to CSH's query that most likely he was talking to his girlfriend, given the loving and smiling expression on his face (as noticed and commented on by CSH).  

Cha Soo Hyun is very aware of Kim Jin Hyuk. The way she stopped in her Welcome Address when she saw him and the immediacy with which she saw him outside talking on the phone is very telling.

aIJQMfl.png

Nh0n8sG.png

B09U0cM.png

If that were to happen in real life, we would readily think its jealousy working here. I was amused by Cha Soo Hyun precision: 12:42pm!

Spoiler

9K74wxC.png

I mean, how can you remember such a detail if you're not interested in the person and why would you even ask if you're not? She even brought this up when Jin Hyuk was giving her his number. This means it bothered her and the only plausible reason to her actions is jealousy. Human psychology would attest to it.

Spoiler

cQOdy9K.png

vmIRszx.png

Why, it even bothered Cha Soo Hyun that Jin Hyuk's heart fluttered for Korean beef! :lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 12

38 minutes ago, utkim said:

Boyfriend continues to dominate as  nr1 and the same for Bo-gum nr1, kyo nr2 in 2 constructive eeeks according to good data corporation 

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003918865

Google Translate :lol:

"Boyfriend", Top TV Buzzworthy for 2 consecutive weeks, 1st place Park Bo Gum, 2nd Song Hye Kyo

[Herald reporter Chun Yoon-hye] TVN drama 'Boyfriend' in TV drama buzzworthy category, announced on December 10, 2018, is the first place for two consecutive weeks.

At the same time, Park Bo Gum and Song Hye-kyo kept first and second place for the most buzzworthy actor/actress for two consecutive weeks. 

From second to fourth place, JTBC 'SKY Castle', tvN 'Memories of Alhambra Palace', and SBS 'Empress of the Empress' were ranked. However, as the topic rankings are the same, the gap between the top two 'boyfriend' and the second, third, and fourth films is narrowing to 2 ~ 5%. 

MBC 's new drama' Bad Detective 'was ranked 5th with Shin Ha - gyun' s acting , followed by SBS 's praise, JTBC' Let 's get hot clean', tvN ' Red Moon Blue Year ', and OCN' God's Quiz: Riboot 'were ranked from 6th to 10th respectively. 

In the cast member category, Hyun Bin (memories of Alhambra Palace) is ranked 3rd, Shin Ha Kyun (bad man) 4th, Lee Jong Suk (chorus of the company) 5th, Jang Na (6th rank of empress), Shin Hye Sun (Elegance of the empress) 8th, Park Shin-hye (memories of the Alhambra palace) 9th place, Kim Yoo-jung (once hotly cleaned) 

This survey is based on the analysis of online articles, blogs, community, SNS, and video responses of 30 TV dramas that are being broadcasted or scheduled to be broadcasted from December 3, 2018 to December 9, 2018 by GOOD DATA CORPORATION. The results were announced on December 10. 

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, utkim said:

Boyfriend continues to dominate as  nr1 and the same for Bo-gum nr1, kyo nr2 in 2 constructive eeeks according to good data corporation 

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003918865

Thanks for this @utkim Boyfriend's lead from the other dramas has narrowed down to 2-5%. Of course, it very impressive that the main leads and the drama have both kept the no. 1 spot.

Please support them by checking Naver and Daum daily.

Another tweet of the same news

• Like 9

2 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

I saw there was a little of jealousy on her face, i think she already had a soft spot on him and when she saw him talking happily like that, it might rise her curiosity and a little bit of jealousy :D

• Like 13

On 12/10/2018 at 1:56 PM, utkim said:

I saw there was a little of jealousy in her face, i think she already had a soft spot on him and when she saw him talking happily like that, it might rise her curiosity and a little bit of jealousy :D

Exactly like my thought, I can't describe as well as yours.

I felt something from these scenes which looked fishy in a certain level of interest, memories to treasure with this man.

-  Dance salsa together

-  CSH ran to the breakfast cafe just after signing revised contract but too late.

-  CSH stunned when seeing KJH during welcoming speech for newly hired employees.

-  CSH was very curious whom  KJH was talking at 12.42 with bright smile.

- CSH asked Mr.Nam to drive her to KJH's playgound he has grown up around.

-  CSH unpacked sandal to place among brandname shoes.
-  CSH wear the watch, she used to wear when she met KJH, to meet KJH for CEO-new employee meeting.

-  CSH asked KJH to join her ramyeon at rest spot where she wanna enjoy time there.

-  CSH asked whether KJH has girlfriend by mentioning liks his girlfriend would feel not okay when KJH gave CSH his mobile number.

-  CSH paid attention to KJH at bus stop till she was in car crash.

-  CSH requested song which she has memory with KJH to implicitly express her feeling to miss.

A woman who spends her life with high standard behavior in the limelight, she might be unconsciously show her feeling to what/whom she really has special interest in.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I’m enjoying this drama while watching two pretty people together.   I can understand the attraction each character has for the other from the beginning.  Now we need to see if fear will slow down or stop their relationship growth.  I like the vibe in episode 4 where he steps up to take the CEO out for ramen, thus killing the gossip about her abusing a sub-contractor, etc.  The gossip now will have to be about the difference in their status.  I digress, the vibe of him stepping up to save her embarrassment in front of lots of people in the lobby is groundbreaking since he took it upon himself to go against her wishes to distance themselves from one another.  Further, he came out as the ramen date and now has to face the heat.

• Like 19