[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

wanna share some insightful post / on point tweets that i came across.  credit to below / logo 

Kpop and Korean Drama Pick
Episode 2
Thoughts

Now I know why this drama got a high viewers ratings for both pilot episode and episode 2. The story is flowing nicely.  no..it is not boring contrary to what others are commenting in some sites. I think if viewers will not see SHK as a married woman already and not mention Song Joong Ki or not see Park Bo Gum as a dongsaeng but as a legit actor... They would also find the drama interesting and quite good. Park Bo Gum besides being an eye candy and a refreshing sight on screen is a very talented actor. I think he has conveyed exact emotions his character called for. Like in episode 2 when he realized who Song Hye Kyo really is and when he finally see her again after their Cuba rendezvous. As for Song Hye Kyo, she is simply natural. I guess it helps that PBG is really her dongsaeng (in real life and even in the drama) ...kind of off limits to her stature as a CEO and someone who has lived her life in a controlled way. But what makes it cute is that she herself is not immune to his charms. She is also kind of curious and smitten to his smiles. Or perhaps she found comfort in his uncomplicated life. He is free to do anything and seems to be enjoying life as a young man. He is courteous and well mannered. He seems loved by his family. Unlike how she grew up in a political family, her actions are always filmed or captured by media that is why she must be cautious at all times not to make a mistake. A sad reality for her. Not to mention being married to a wealthy family and then divorced. She must have been walking on thin ice.

Episode 2 is fast paced. It showed already how 2 main leads bonded again. What happened in Cuba was a good memory which pulls them together and making it hard for them to draw the line between being a CEO and friends. She is just as curious and interested in him as he is to her. Both are trying to hold back their developing emotions to each other but has yet to succeed. I like their rest stop date. It was casual, comfortable and fun to watch. They could not hide their smiles and their gestures towards each other is visible even to the prying eyes (lens) of the media. A sad twist that came too soon. I think this will start the real story of their affair. It is not illegal though because both are free. Their friendship is also not morally wrong. But in the eyes of her family and maybe of the company it is ethically wrong and questionable at the same time. Did he have prior motive? I would certainly feel bad for him. He is just starting in his new job. While she would be seen as either being taken advantage of or she has gone crazy after her divorce going for younger guys. Kind of an undesirable situations seriously. It is not as easy to be her or to be him in this kind of situation. It is not like they can do anything they like. She has a responsibility as a CEO of a hotel. I know this is bull...reasoning but that is reality. She has to consider not only herself but people around her. Of course love must prevail and conquers all is a cliche but it is easier said than done. Because if it is..then there will be no broken hearts or relationships in reality.

Looking at PBG in the ending scene makes my heart pound for him and his concerns. His face might be covered in the news but his friend seems to have realized it was him with their CEO. Or will he be discovered by the whole company? What a dilemma!

Waiting for next week.

-mslee1107- ( credit)

View image on Twitter

• Like 14

And I dreamed last night

That you love me

And even if I died afterwards

I want to kiss you

Give me a kiss and forget

That you kiss me

I would give you my life

If you asked for it

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

wow...such a romantic song, the song that cha so hyun listened to during the sunset at Cuba..

It's  beautiful but has sad vibe in it...oh my....

• Like 9

5 hours ago, caileysmiley said:

@122am that lipstick you're looking for!:D I've already shared an info too on Kyo's thread! 

Credit SulwhahooTH

Thank you for informing me, I'm so grateful to you. And in my country it will sell out for sure. I had better go to buy it fast!

• Like 3

Hello chingus, I haven't commented on a drama thread in soompi in years... So happy to be back for encounter.
Some random thoughts about episode four-
1. I loved the cute way JH held the coffee cup while draping the coat over SH. SH's expressions while telling her life story thinking JH was asleep- that faroff, melancholic look while remembering the scars of her past - was mesmerising. In fact Song hye kyos eyes did most of the acting in this episode, but more on that later. 
2. It was funny how she was so distracted by JH at the bus stop that she got into an accident. In a way its good JH apologised on her behalf cuz he was indirectly the cause of it. :P
3. Her birthday dinner was so telling--she has lived such a suppressed life that she doesn't even remember her carefree acts and past personality. Love how Jh is bringing out that side of her.
4. That ending scene, when he called her name, I literally gasped. JH actions cudve been called impulsive and immature but he just cudnt stand for someone he cares about getting disgraced. That isn't in his nature, and so he selflessly risks it all to be by her side. And song hye kyo's eyes in that scene-that mix of relief, disbelief, hurt, confusion, I would say she's doing a masterclass in restraint. In fact, I don't understand the complaints about her so called "expressionless" acting, its all in the subtle shifts in her eyes, a stolen smile, her hands, her feet even. Like someone said, so much of the communication between them is implicit and nonverbal.
5. I also loved Nam drivers subtle acknowledgement of JH in the ending scene - like ha! He's worthy enough for SH, in reference to his earlier convo with the secretary.
6. Lovely use of music and graphics - it really adds to the mood. And thanks so much to the users here for explaining the metaphors, it really enriched my understanding of the drama.

And thats it! I'm really supposed to be studying for a major exam but here I am continuously browsing the threads for more news on this drama. 

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, noonainwaiting said:

Hello chingus, I haven't commented on a drama thread in soompi in years... So happy to be back for encounter.
Some random thoughts about episode four-
1. I loved the cute way JH held the coffee cup while draping the coat over SH. SH's expressions while telling her life story thinking JH was asleep- that faroff, melancholic look while remembering the scars of her past - was mesmerising. In fact Song hye kyos eyes did most of the acting in this episode, but more on that later. 
2. It was funny how she was so distracted by JH at the bus stop that she got into an accident. In a way its good JH apologised on her behalf cuz he was indirectly the cause of it. :P
3. Her birthday dinner was so telling--she has lived such a suppressed life that she doesn't even remember her carefree acts and past personality. Love how Jh is bringing out that side of her.
4. That ending scene, when he called her name, I literally gasped. JH actions cudve been called impulsive and immature but he just cudnt stand for someone he cares about getting disgraced. That isn't in his nature, and so he selflessly risks it all to be by her side. And song hye kyo's eyes in that scene-that mix of relief, disbelief, hurt, confusion, I would say she's doing a masterclass in restraint. In fact, I don't understand the complaints about her so called "expressionless" acting, its all in the subtle shifts in her eyes, a stolen smile, her hands, her feet even. Like someone said, so much of the communication between them is implicit and nonverbal.
5. I also loved Nam drivers subtle acknowledgement of JH in the ending scene - like ha! He's worthy enough for SH, in reference to his earlier convo with the secretary.
6. Lovely use of music and graphics - it really adds to the mood. And thanks so much to the users here for explaining the metaphors, it really enriched my understanding of the drama.

And thats it! I'm really supposed to be studying for a major exam but here I am continuously browsing the threads for more news on this drama. 

me too studying for exams while having this page on another tab and refreshing the page after every 15 mins. y so many exams in december?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

53 minutes ago, Yenung Joa said:

Secretary Min-Ji and Restaurant owner's little banter the best cute moment of the drama? (Mr.Nam's smile at close 2nd):innocent:

Also, Where is the lady Woo-Seok wanted to get married to?:sleeping:

My little recap/highlights of episode 4: https://www.asiandrama4u.com/encounter-episode-4-recap/:sweat:

hey, I think you got something wrong in the post.

kjh drops csh near her house, not his. after dropping off he crosses the road and is looking left right for a taxi but she calls him back because of the gift.

he doesn't drop her directly to her house because there are reporters outside her house.

• Like 7

Ratings wise the show is doing great! Like others have mentioned it’s a cable network. Why we tripping? I do enjoy the other show for different reasons *cough*(CJH)? Encounter is on it’s own level other shows can’t compare. IMHO

I’m seriously developing 2nd lead syndrome for now. WS hasn’t showed any ill will toward SY yet. I’m afraid his greed to love her will rear it’s ugly head... I was sad that she returned his gift. Does she realize all the bts stuff he’s doing for her? Poor rich, smart, & beautiful SY... 2 guys falling for her to boot? Love her though!

• Like 12

12 hours ago, foolmoondance said:

who is the official artist's drama? no wonder it was such beautiful work. an old fairy tale book coming alive with so much richness in it.

Jamsan . The artist has a YouTube channel and SNS 

When your own daughter chooses CSH over you. Mother asked her daughter twice who she found prettier, CSH or her. Daughter pointed to the TV both times.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aisling said:

I really hope WS won’t turn into a hateful and clingy second lead... He seems like a decent human being unlike his trash mother. I feel so sad for him if he really faked an affair so SH could walk away.

Even though he doesn’t win her heart I hope he’ll find his own happiness and break free of his mother’s clutches.

Me too, hope he will not turn into bad guy. Hope JWS and Hye In will keep protect CSH and KJH.

2 hours ago, chdom said:

I’m seriously developing 2nd lead syndrome for now. WS hasn’t showed any ill will toward SY yet. I’m afraid his greed to love her will rear it’s ugly head... I was sad that she returned his gift. Does she realize all the bts stuff he’s doing for her? Poor rich, smart, & beautiful SY... 2 guys falling for her to boot? Love her though!

You must fall in love with the ex-husband when you saw the scene where he search for the words to write in the note in naver, honestly I found this scene funny (in good way). The way  ex- husband convince Jang artist to hand over the painting to CSH shows he is such a good person but we don't know what he will be next, hope he won't be siding his mom.

*Now i sound like I have second male syndrome too, but it's not, I just hate to see good guy turn bad guy :D*

• Like 9

This will be my first time in posting a comment for this thread. I usually don't watch a drama until it reaches the halfway mark. I always try to look at the comments in the thread and find out if it's worth watching. Watching Episode 1 made me really curious and got hooked to it. I'm about to start watching E4 and I hope the story line will still be worth watching. 

• Like 8

@dvrels @aisling @chdom Okay, I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I am not developing any 2nd lead syndrome. Why?  Because despite his good actions, we shouldn't forget that he did hurt CSH a lot in the past. Even if he is "trying" to protect her from his mother now, he didn't really protect her in the past and he knows that. Remember that

- his mother knows that JWS has feelings for CSH. So when he asked for the divorce, she knew what JWS wanted to do: let her go but at some point, CSH would come back to him. JWS hasn't let go of CSH and she knows that. That's why there is this terrible divorce contract. CSH is forced to attend to the events related to her ex-family.  

- CSH thinks that JWS is not allowed to live like he wants to but in my opinion, she is wrong. She is just projecting her own "thoughts" and life onto JWS. Sure, JWS must have told her that he was forced to marry her. But was it really the case? I doubt it. Why? We were shown that JWS knows how to pressure his mother and to get what he wants, f. ex. she even agreed to the divorce because JWS wanted the divorce. I doubt that she will punish him for intervening with the painting therefore he is able to make such a move. All this proves to him that JWS has much more power over his mother than CSH has over her own mother.

- JWS thought that his mother didn't know that he had feelings for CSH but he was mistaken. We have the divorce contract as proof. So was it really an arranged marriage for JWS ? Maybe his mother noticed that he was attracted to her hence his mother choose to help him to get her. CSH had a good pedigree (social status, beauty, reputation aso) that's why she thought, this marriage would be so perfect. She would please her son, her company would benefit from it, just like CSH's father. But I sense that JWS might have told CSH that he was in the same situation.

Finally, we see that he doesn't want her to date any man... as he asked her not to date JH. So in his mind, she is still his wife. He hurt her, when he said that he had fallen in love with another woman. His words made her feel unattractive aso. JWS thought that CSH would fall in love with him as time passed on. A ridiculous idea, especially if he doesn't even try to woo her. He doesn't even try to understand her... all this time he is more focused on his feelings and himself than CSH: waiting for her to love him back. The bought dress was not a smart move for two reasons: it showed again that JWS can buy anything he wants (expensive, limited edition, aso) and he doesn't try to find something that would please her. Moreover the dress was in black. Notice that all this time, except in Cuba, CSH has been wearing cold colours (grey, black, white, blue) and the dress is also black. JH has been offering her shoes (brown) and a lipstick (red). All these colours are linked to earth and warmth... That's why his presents could symbolize as if he was bringing life and warmth to her. Moreover, the lipstick is different: this is not so expensive and unique... it won't attract attention like the dress (limited edition). CSH is looking for normality and not attention that's what JWS hasn't understood after so many years. He doesn't understand her loneliness, if he did, then he should have tried to connect to her. However, he is hiding many things from her and the most important thing: he loves her and has always loved her, therefore CSH is still unaware of his feelings for her. That's why she doesn't need to hide that she doesn't want to get back together... why should she think about it, when she had been confronted with these terrible words: I love another woman and I want to marry her!! 

Don't get me wrong: I don't hate him at all. But he is partially responsible for CSH's misery.

@alekaonu @USAFarmgirl @icyphoenix         

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

@bebebisous33 That's exactly the reason I m not having 2nd lead syndrome here.. As I mentioned before JWS doesn't understand what truly a love is, what longing is or how to love a person.. As his mother n his status provided what he wanted.. But that wasn't the case in CSH.. He wanted to have the different woman CSH who was very different from the girls who flock over him.. But then him marrying her, didn't make her heart to to him.. She was just cold.. This is my analysis that he might have thought that if I say I had an affair then she would show some kind of reaction which would show that she was interested in him like he was.. But it badly backfired.. Then he thought with her attitude, she wouldn't be able to find someone else other than him, so she will eventually come to him happily!! But again it went wrong.. He didn't try to understand what she wanted.. Like CSH had to ask for the trip in car with him n he agreed.. In case of KJH,  he shows her a new world, he tries to make her happy in small things... JWS doesn't know the context of proper love.. 

I just don't want him to turn negative coz of his love.. I just want him to learn what is true love by seeing KJH n CSH!! Hope he turns into a new leaf!! 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, dvrels said:

You must fall in love with the ex-husband when you saw the scene where he search for the words to write in the note in naver, honestly I found this scene funny (in good way). The way  ex- husband convince Jang artist to hand over the painting to CSH shows he is such a good person but we don't know what he will be next, hope he won't be siding his mom.

*Now i sound like I have second male syndrome too, but it's not, I just hate to see good guy turn bad guy :D*

You got me! I’m thinking I like the actual actor, not his character. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3