[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

2 minutes ago, chilis said:

I love watching this. PBG and SHK are such goodlooking actors.  I love the supporting cast too. 

I read comments about how this drama is so predictable boring. Am I watching the same drama?  

Did those commentors actually watch the episodes?

Given all kdramas have a pattern and lag at some point. 

I skipped parts of SITR that was so popular. That had too much drama for me. 

I have watched every minute of these 4 episodes and I like the flow. 

Those are prolly just haters who didn't even watch the drama. 

• Like 4

My early two cents...

After watching episode 3, I haven't watched 4 yet, I am still on board, but I have to admit that the third episode was not completely an easy watch for me. 

The ebb and flow of a drama usually comes about when there is good balance. Episode three did not have good balance. The evil MIL got way too much screen time. Once again, her time with her mother was unpleasant. Once again, her time with her father was useless. And we got spoon fed a few sweet scenes between CSH and KJH, and we needed more.

The scene with the MIL was just funny to me. I work in the legal field and literally EVERYTHING she said was either senseless or criminal. "You thought that once you divorced then you would be able to cut ties with Taekhung Group? With my son? No,..." Lady, that is exactly what divorce is, cutting ties. Then she threw in the fact that CSH received the hotel in the agreement. However, it was a business that they would've lost and that is why they gave it to her. This whole, "you need us more than we need you" game that they're running is complete and utter nonsense. Yes, their family runs a conglomerate, but no one is talking about them. EVERYBODY is talking about CSH. She alone could get her father in the Blue House if she put her mind to it. Her family doesn't need those horrible people, and no one knows that more than her ex-husband. That director who is acting as a minion for the MIL would have that company in Chapter 11 before the year would be up. The MIL represents so much of the 1% attitude. That "how dare you reject us, and not want to have anything to do with us considering all that we have" mentality. Then, she turned around and threatened her with the idea that her father will never realize his political aspirations without them. Due to the fact that South Korea just ousted a president who had wealthy friends around her advising her while she was in the Blue House, I am pretty sure the father not having too close ties with the likes of that family will benefit him greater in the long run.

In order to beat a powerful enemy, you have to be smart. Be on the offensive. CSH needs to lawyer up, and she also needs to hire a private detective to find out who is following her and taking pictures and who hired them. I would also recommend that she starts recording any conversations she has with the MIL.These people are banking on her obedience and passivity because that is what is expected of her.

Looking at the long term and how this drama could have a happy ending. The only way that she and KJH can be together is if her father puts his ambitions to the side for once and stand by his daughter. Dear old dad is the only one who can really help them, and at this point, he should. She has sacrificed her entire life for him, he can do this one thing for her. Also, her ex could help, but I doubt he would go to the extent of exposing his mother.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ahdrianaa said:

Someone please save this man. In his official resume, KJH’s e-mail is greengrapeman@naver.com. :P

He is Cha Soo Hyun's green grape man:lol:.. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

I have just finished watching Encounter/Boyfriend Episode 4 with English Subtitle, I really appreciate the writer to let this drama's novel-like story to deliver scripts on screen with reasonable development. 

Even some audiences might feel unfamiliar about younger male lead and much older female lead with divorced status and different social status; however, the script could make unbelievable "ENCOUNTER" to create potential "BOYFRIEND" (the male lead)'s moment to the female lead. 

I like the last part that Kim Jin Hyuk telepathy::)

"Don't ask me about what this feeling is.
I don't know yet either.

Right now...I just don't want to leave you alone and be lonely. 

That's all." 

This might answer to some audiences' questions why Kim Jin Hyuk professed his feeling so fast after just some "ENCOUNTER" and also why Cha Soo Hyun feel swayed.:wub:

PS. I really like Park Bo Gum's acting to find the new rhytym of his Kim Jin Hyuk's role, sometimes wait&see and sometimes harshly express.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, chilis said:

I read comments about how this drama is so predictable boring. Am I watching the same drama?  

Did those commentors actually watch the episodes?

Nope. Haters don't watch a drama to comment. They go by envy and jealousy and vindictiveness, mostly for personal reasons or if they fear competition with their other favorite drama. Mostly, it's a deliberate attempt to put a good drama (actor/actress) down by word-of-mouth and through social media, garnering attention and support - or so they thought. But actually, they should get a life.

A notable point worth mentioning is the Korean culture and its unreceptiveness towards a divorced/single woman, not to mention having a much younger guy falling for such a woman. There might possibly be a section of the viewers who are still embedded in the old-fashioned status divide so might find it a challenge to support the drama. Just my opinion.

In truth, the drama we're all watching here is a beautiful drama with everything awesome. I've enjoyed eps 1 to 4 totally and I find the last part of ep 4 truly touching. It's just such a beautiful gesture on KJH's part to step forward to protect CSH. I've been waiting for such a gesture and I got more than what I had hoped for - KJH was firm, courageous and was determined to cross over to CSH's lonely world. He did not stop to consider his position. His instinct was to protect CSH who was clearly being cornered. It shows that he cares deeply for her. Such a gentlemanly disposition is a rarity these days

The fiinal scene is too beautiful. CSH's teary eyes at this young man's courage to own up as 'the ramyeon guy' had me tearing much too.  Told you words between KJH and CSH are redundant. I get caught up in their world just by seeing their intense gaze and silent communication with each other. 

Let's enjoy the chemistry and beautiful romance and bear in mind that the villains are necessary to spice up the drama and make us anticipate hurdles for our lead couple. A relationship can't be trouble-free all the way and it's exciting to see how they ride the storm together.....as lovers one day soon. Also, much as I love lots of screen time for our lead couple, it's not realistic to exclude the supporting cast as they synergize with the entire storyline. It's necessary to bring in the individual subplot to build up the main plot.

Did I say that I love KJH's super-efficiency as CSH's 'male secretary' during the accident? How he led her to her car and asked her to sleep while he drove..... and told her she could yell at him later That's so touching too! And the zipper necktie is truly the ice-breaker!   :D

"Boyfriend" is like a romantic, fantasy tale come true!  I shall continue to bask dreamily in it. Won't be surprised if this drama sparks off a trendy #Boyfriend where the netizens do a frantic, hopeful search for a KJH-alike younger guy to step into their world!  Lol...

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Okay, the ending of episode 4 totally floored me. I'm scared the drama will become predictable after watching ep 3 then ep 4 happened and it kept me on the edge of my seat argh. Not gonna lie, I was expecting him to either just shut up when Soohyun was being harassed or try to defend her in a fit of rage (which would not end well) but I didn't expect him to do THAT... to just throw everything out in the open. I'm so excited. Jinhyuk, my boy, what are you planning? 

Anyway, I have to laugh at those comments saying that Jinhyuk seems like a typical flat "candy" character. After every episode, he's becoming more and more interesting. His  resolve, determination, sensitivity, and maturity are so refreshing. He doesn't succumb to self-pity either. The way he responds to certain situations aren't predictable as well. It's like they're giving us a common storyline but the way the characters react are totally different and that's what makes this drama fresh for me. 

Grr, now we have to wait one more week

• Like 24

Just Finished watching episode 4 with subs and I must say it was like watching a fairytale. My screen and I lit up whenever both KJH and CSH are together. For me, they are no more SHK and PBG but KJH and CSH. I really loved how Nam smiled when JH came forward to reveal his identity. 

my mind is now making up various scenarios on how each episode will be played hereafter, 

i simply loathed the mother. SHe is way more evil than the MIL. Wondering how much trouble our leads will face cause of them. Why is it not Wednesday yet.

P.S. Before the drama aired, I read that CSH is a single mother, but there isn't any indication to that. can anyone enlighten me here?

P.S.S - I really felt bad for CSH ex-husband. The way he spoke on behalf of CSH to the artist struck a chord with me. Dont know what went wrong between them.         

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@alekaonu @triplem @icyphoenix @allythefangirl @USAFarmgirl I really like the pictures in the beginning of each episode because they somehow reflect the situation of our protagonists. In the episode 3, the focus was definitely on CSH therefore we had a lot of scenes with CSH:

- the ex-mother in law

- her own mother

- her ex-husband

- her father

- her friend Mr. Nam

But let's take a closer look at that picture: 

This woman embodies CSH, our heroine. Notice that although around her, the sky is pretty clear (you see the moon, the butterflies aso), this princess has her eyes closed. It is as if she is sleeping but I am sure, she is not sleeping because we know that CSH is suffering from insomnia. Remember that she needs her sleeping pills. So why is the princess with her eyes closed? 

In my opinion, out of fear she doesn't open her eyes as she doesn't want to feel imprisoned and yearning for something that she can not get. If she had her eyes opened, she would suffer even much more: she would feel the pain for missing so much, for yearning something/someone...

Then the "camera" gets away from her face and now what we can see how she is trapped.

Actually, on her head, there is a wall with windows. So the wall symbolizes the hotel which underlines, how heavy the responsabilities are. She is managing that hotel but she is also trapped. She can't only move her head but also her body because she will lose the hotel. Besides, on her hair there are ornaments which indicates how luxurious her life is. They represent her social status. Yet everything (the ornaments, the wall) is in reality a burden. But she is not only trapped by the hotel and her social status, there is another jail around her as well, since there is a fence around her head. This picture makes you feel, how burdened and lonely CSH must feel. She doesn't really live... it was as if she was "sleeping" all the time that's why she can not sleep in reality. Then we see how a red butterfly flies towards her eye and rests there for a while. To me, the butterfly symbolizes JH who wants her to open her eyes but she doesn't move at all. He wants her to see the beautiful things around her: the sky, the moon, the butterflies. Yet she remains calm and acts as if the butterfly wasn't there hence she "rejects" him. She thinks that once the butterfly flies away... it will go somewhere else. (That's why CSH moved her shoe away from JH's shoe... she is too scared).

The color of the butterfly is not random: red is not just linked to passion and love but to life as well (blood). So the butterfly touches her eye and tries to bring life to her... yet she rejects him as she doesn't open her eye. She is surrounded by a fence too. From my point of view, the fence represents her family and ex-family... they are keeping her in that "prison". They ensure that she doesn't dare to move at all. For them (mother, ex-mother in law) it is better if she remains like that. 

Finally I would like to add that her hair and the hotel are all black. The dark color underlines her dark thoughts... it was as if all this would represent her worries and struggles. To conclude, this scene outlines how unhappy and lonely CSH is. She is trapped and has the impression that she can never escape from these two prisons.

Let me know what you think about this.;) 

Thanks a lot for your interpretation. It blew my mind off.

Everything you wrote is on point. It makes me fall deeper into this drama. 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 6

@ahdrianaa: Funny that you pointed out the same thing I suspected: That most likely Jin Hyuk's Appa could tell that the pixelized male figure beside Cha Soo Hyun in the rest stop was his son. 

I tweeted a few days back about an article which wrote about the term "boyfriend,' a common name which, of late, with the hashtag sign,  has become a Proper Name to refer to Park Bo Gum: #Boyfriend.:)

The drama, with its conventional theme, is doing an awesome job in taking the "non-conventional, refreshing narrative route, pulling in surprises for its viewers!

And yes, I know I sound redundant, but the drama's cinematography is  "postcard-worthy"!

Thanks, everyone! Your insights make my heart full!!!

• Like 12

"I'm being told not to go, but there's a road I wish to take... that's life, and longing.. It's you..." - Cha Soo-hyun  ep3

endearing scene

yu7gszcid5hq.jpg

The ending scene was refreshing ,it was just perfect.:thumbsup:Like a painting come to life.

DtvTzq4U8AA9kGD.jpg

wl8yfp1ics5w.gif

PREVIEW

JH – Do you want to take a walk?
JH – We met in Cuba with no money. then we met again as boss and employee. It is kind of a funny relationship.
SH – Your hand.
SH – I was smiling without noticing.
JH – Love started at that moment.
WS – Find out everything about that employee.
JH – Do you think we will meet each other again?

https://www.dramamilk.com/encounter-episode-4-live-recap/

• Like 23

The one think that drives me nuts about Dramas is how the gossip mill has so much power. Want to ruins someones life? Make up a story and broadcast it to everyone and people will believe it hook, line and sinker. Since I am not big following gossips or social media ( other than dramas, lol) I am not too sure if it is like that in real life. But it just rubs me the wrong way.

Though I do think that JH's way of dealing with the issue was very good. He was making a very bold statement to them. Which was, there was nothing shameful about the situation, and it was in fact something rather normal. And secondly, it was showing SH that she was not alone and that he was not going to let her carry the burden by herself...which instantly made her burden lighter.

• Like 13

Waiting for subtitle 

Its funny how SHK cant stop smiling when bogum said she's cute. 

2Z8ZYIb.gif

Thats why director need to push bogum away, so SHK can focus with her line hahaha

OBS3ipT.jpg

PBG is truly a woman's killer :joy:

FV7QKKl.gif

Cr in the tag

Spoiler

Its happened with kim yoojung too in MDBC 

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

Previous episodes referenced the princesses in Roman Holiday and Cinderella .

Possible references after watching this weeks episodes while it’s still fresh on my mind. It might get long and repetitive in some places. 

PsycheXEros

The episode shows a painting of a sleeping woman whose face is covered with a butterfly. In Greek mythology there is this story of a princess called Psyche, Psyche is also the Greek word for butterfly and spirit/soul. The princess is famed for being the most beautiful woman in the world and undergoes many trials, tribulations because she has earned the wrath of the goddess Aphrodite.Psyche’s troubles start because of her father the king. He tries to find her a husband she can love, having set certain actions in motion he loses control. Psyche pays the ultimate price and it is ordained that she will be bride to a non-human groom. The king feels helpless but being weak of character abandons Psyche. On her wedding day she sets out dressed for a funeral and she is whisked away by her groom. The twist in the story is that her husband is Eros, the god of love and the son of the goddess who is the bane of her existence. His mother intends for Eros to punish Psyche but he is secretly in love with the princess. 

Due to some trust issues he leaves Psyche but is still in love with her and shields her from his mother. While Psyche is on a lonely journey to discover herself, the princess is plagued with judgments of the subjects of her kingdom. In the beginning she is quick to despair and give up but as the story progresses there are strong elements of depression, transition, maturity, control over her own life  and the ultimate triumph of love. 

During said journey, Psyche even falls into an enchanted sleep. The drama keeps associating sleeping pills with CSH. 

CSH is Psyche, her father is the king who loves her but he’s helpless, similar to the princess CSH leads a death like existence ever since her father joined politics, the MIL is Aphrodite , her ex husband is Eros who truly loves her , people passing judgements is the rest of society who views her life as press fodder.

Psyche journeys back from the land of the dead, gets back with Eros which could mean that the story might end with CSH getting back with her ex husband. 

DionysusXAriadne 

Ariadne is the beautiful daughter of King of Minos, popularly known as King Midas. There is a monster living in this kingdom called the Minotaur which is half man and half bull. The king demands an annual sacrifice of sons and daughters to this monster. Prince Theseus of neighboring Athens comes to kill the monster and succeeds in doing so with the help of Ariadne. Theseus tells Ariadne that he’s in love with her, they elope and run away. Theseus is deceitful and abandons the Princess on an island while she is asleep. 

After finding herself abandoned on the island the princess cries herself to sleep, unbeknownst to her the God Dionysus who is  symbolised using grapes, grapevine and alcohol reaches the shore and falls in love with the sleeping Ariadne. In Greek culture the god who rules the psyche(butterfly/soul/spirit) is Dionysus. Dionysus is artistically represented as a handsome young man who brings music and dance with him wherever he goes, accompanied by magical beings like the satyrs. 

When she wakes up she is startled to see a strange man in the island with her, Dionysus asks her the reason for her sadness and gives comfort to a grieving Ariadne. He later confesses his love for Ariadne, she accepts him and later finds out he’s a god. Ariadne is given the gift of immortality. 

A chance meeting on the island of Naxos brought Ariadne and Dionysus together.

Some versions of this story suggest the involvement of another god called Hermes, he is known as the messenger of the gods. He is also known as the god of transportation. Hermès interferes and introduces Ariadne to her true husband Dionysus.

CSH is Ariadne, her father is King Midas and this is heavily hinted in the episode with the image of a king, her mother is the monster - CSH asks her mother if she’s a monster in episode 3, Prince Theseus is her ex husband, Hermes is Nam Driver. 

Image of King Midas drawn by the official artist of the drama with his golden cup 

KJH is Dionysus, drama gives us several clues. CSH says he is a green grape , KJH’s e-mail is greengrapeman, the color green is used to refer to his youth- Dionysus is youthful looking. His character is introduced in the drama with music and dance, he is pulled towards CSH from the first time he lays eyes on her. CSH  has been robbed, is helpless by the sea and is about to doze off. KJH to the rescue, she wakes up to find him. She makes what seems to be a strange request for alcohol, KJH provides the alcohol. He provides her with music, suddenly there is a choreographed dance number in the background - these are the accompanying satyrs. 

Like Ariadne and Dionysus, KJH and CSH could also have a happily ever after. 

Pegasus 

The artist shared some images on Instagram, a winged horse and small figure of a girl in the tower. 

Seems similar to the lore of Pegasus, he helps Perseus save a princess called Andromeda who has been abandoned near the sea from a vicious sea monster which has a serpentine head. Andromeda’s mother is the vain Queen Cassiopea whose boasting lands Andromeda in the path of the monster. Pegasus alludes to facilitation of travel that would be Nam Driver and the other characters are self explanatory. Perseus and Andromeda have a happy ending too. 

Snow White 

The sleeping pills could also allude to the story of Snow White , evil (step) mother who is  power hungry. The first time CSH falls asleep she is dressed in bright red, in sleeping beauty the princess falls into enchanted sleep after biting into a red apple. The princess wakes up to find her prince, CSH wakes up to find KJH.

In Snow White there are seven dwarves, in the drama with the exception of KJH and CSH’s family members and the evil PR team member there are 7 positive characters. 

Using the image on the first page of the thread having scratched out the traitor. 

Sleeping Beauty 

Previous artwork shown in the drama shows a castle covered with spinning wheels. In one image there is a young girl and the other shows the same tower but the girl has matured into a woman

The princess is cursed to die if she pricked by a needle and can only come out of her enchanted sleep if she receives true love’s kiss. CSH nearly dies in the first episode because she’s so sleepy, KJH rescues her. 

The artwork shows the woman in the shadow of a moon alluding to sleep. The passage of time is the loneliness in CSH’s life from her younger years to present day.  This story also like the Sleeping Beauty has a positive outcome. 

Rapunzel 

The previous artwork shows the woman standing in the balcony of an impossibly long tower.

In Rapunzsl the princess is locked in the tower by an evil witch because of the greed of her parents, the king and the queen.

The witch cuts Rapunzel’s hair to stop her from meeting the prince. CSH has short hair before and during her marriage, her present short hair could be a metaphor for what she’s already because of her MIL.  Evil MIL threatens to take away CSH’s hotel to stop her from meeting the KJH. The prince can’t climb the tower without the princess’s long hair, KJH can’t meet CSH under present circumstances if he’s fired or she loses the hotel. 

In episode 3 KJH is counting the floors to the building and her office is high up like a tower. Like the princess is locked up by the witch, CSH is confined to certain spaces as per the wishes of the MIL. 

Forbidden Fruit versus the Apple and Grape

In the Bible, the eye catching red apple is forbidden fruit in the garden of paradise , the one thing god has forbidden Adam to taste which will ultimately lead to the downfall of man. CSH is the eye catching red apple, Adam is KJH, God is Adam’s creator/parent - KJH’s mother has forbidden him to involve himself in a relationship with a divorced woman. The snake in the garden is represented in the poem “yearning”. Adam is banished from life as he knows in paradise, KJH will be fired from work and face other dire consequences in his life if he is to engage with CSH. 

Before Christianity spread in the Slavic states there was this goddess called Ziva who rules life, fertility and immortality. She is seen carrying an apple in one hand and bunch of grapes in the other hand. CSH and KJH are the apple and grape, the rest of the story is completely opposite to the Bible - a male god who punishes and a female goddess who nourishes, loss of life in the earlier story and the power to give life in the story of the goddess. One would result in complete destruction of KJH and CSH, the other story has a positive outcome. 

This is a pictorial representation of the Goddess with the apple and grape in her hands.

Princess Diana  

There are also obvious similarities to Princess Diana’s life. Infamous divorce ,cheating husband, heightened paparazzi interest, romantic relationship with a commoner, interference by famous in laws who believed that she was still answerable to them and indifference by her own family who wanted to stay in the good books of the royal family. Some sources state that Princess Diana’s personal chauffeur was extremely loyal to her and facilitated many of her romantic rendezvous. 

Princess Diana dies in a car crash after being chased by the paparazzi. CSH has been in two car accidents within 4 episodes. The day Princess Diana died the car was not driven by her driver. Nam Driver wasn’t the driver the two times CSH finds herself in a car crash. This could be foreshadowing, CSH like Diana might end up tragically dead.

I think these were the only references that I could find till now. In some places fans have started calling CSH a peach but I am now more than ever convinced that she is an apple. 

wow to have come up with these is just amazing. now we see why this drama is not just what people expect it to be. there is so much material underneath it. with the greek and roman classic you really never go wrong. and with viewers who can catch those, this is why we have this much fun and fullness. 

who is the official artist's drama? no wonder it was such beautiful work. an old fairy tale book coming alive with so much richness in it.

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 6