[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Spoiler

just saw the office lobby scene on naver. even without the subs, my thoughts were, "boring??? is this boring???". characters are taking quiet,  but bold, well-thought-of steps toward what is in-front of them inspite all that is around. now that's momentum we are not so used to seeing. if calm courage is boring, well i would rather be boring. 

love the scenes even without the benefit of the english subs. when you have a good scene played out so well by a nuanced acting from its performers, you get that. and i love how the whole ep was a mixed of sentimental, light-hearted, worrisome, and outright funny (the family watching the tv and the little bro's attire was hilarious and cute).

Spoiler
Spoiler

56 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Love this screencap! Color Coordinated! :) Ridiculously Stunning Pair!

@pink_meddy

same exact thoughts here. this is how even the  clothes, the use of colors on the set is part of the storytelling.

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 9

Most of the Naver articles coming out are about Kim Jin Hyuk's lipstick gift to Cha Soo Hyun. I wouldn't be surprised if this brand and shade will be sold out soon!

Ramen sales will also go up! :D

And then girlfriends and wives will nag their boyfriends and husbands to "man up" like Kim Jin Hyuk! :blush:

• Like 4
  • LOL 13

@gumtaek I forgot to mention this but after the first episode a few salsa dance clubs in Seoul reported a surge in people interested in Salsa nights.

So Encounter just helped sales for dance classes, books, lipsticks, bags, earrings , clothes, hangover medicine, barley tea, hair salons. The cultural impact! 

• Like 9
  • LOL 9

9 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Most of the Naver articles coming out are about Kim Jin Hyuk's lipstick gift to Cha Soo Hyun. I wouldn't be surprised if this brand and shade will be sold out soon!

Ramen sales will also go up! :D

And then girlfriends and wives will nag their boyfriends and husbands to "man up" like Kim Jin Hyuk! :blush:

The men will have a tough time then. :D

Sometimes watching Encounter is like watching a CF. Both SHK and PBG effortlessly make everything they wear and eat look so good. Effective endorsers indeed! Lol

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

46 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

Thank you very much for your recap with English Translations.
I am more than happy to watch this episode... The Word "Encounter" and "Boyfriend" reflect the relationship between the leading actor and leading actress in this series perfectly.

:heart::love:

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

@gumtaek I forgot to mention this but after the first episode a few salsa dance clubs in Seoul reported a surge in people interested in Salsa nights.

So Encounter just helped sales for dance classes, books, lipsticks, bags, earrings , clothes, hangover medicine, barley tea, hair salons. The cultural impact! 

Whoa! That's good news! Not to mention the choice of Cuba as a travel destination!

DtvdLeIV4AA6-sz.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, ahdrianaa said:

lasting cultural impact it is! pretty accurate analysis there @ahdrianaa

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, leedonghaek said:

The men will have a tough time then. :D

Sometimes watching Encounter is like watching a CF. Both SHK and PBG effortlessly make everything they wear and eat look so good. Effective endorsers indeed! Lol

Actually,  several of the products Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo are endorsing are featured in the drama...

In the case of Bo Gum, there's TNGT, Eider, Coke, Ace Bed...

I was amused with the scene of Jin Hyuk  buying the Sulwhasoo lipstick and they cut (?) the (head portion of the brand model who is Song Hye Kyo!) :lol:

Allow me to nitpick just a tiny bit....for someone coming from a simple background, Kim Jin Hyuk's clothes look expensive. There! End of nitpicking! :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 10

i think i'm having a headache from too much tension after just 4 episodes.

i wonder how the plot would develop along? 

conflict is what makes the story worth watching and sticking to.

and the changes that come about.

i really, really hope the writing carries these lovely characters and performers way into the last sequence with the best that they've got.

and i also trust SHK and PBG wouldn't take on the project esp after so long a break if they themselves do not believe in it.

there is so much eye-candy in the creative and commercial work of this series.  

the ratings and the craze over anything associated with the series translate to significant interest.

but to me story is still king.

and so far, i am at its service. 

thank you again to all who chingus who have provided this space and who make our viewing more fun and interesting. 'til next week. and all the articles and wonderful thoughts in-between!:blush::kiss_wink:

• Like 12

'Boyfriend Song Hye Kyo' is trending at no.1 in the Naver Entertainment News Topics!

What did I tell you? :)

Boyfriend Song Hye Kyo Lipstick ... Local brand 'price'?

L20181206.99099002740i1.jpg

In the TVN 'Boyfriend' broadcasted on the 6th, Park Bo-gum (Kim Jin-hyuk) gave a Lipstick to Song Hye-kyo (Cha Seo Hyun) as a birthday present. 

Viewers showed a keen interest in the lipstick. 

The lipstick is a local brand  (Sulwhasoo) whose endorser is Song Hye - kyo. Color is known to mix Rose Red and Apt Red. (I am not sure if the translation of the shades is correct.) Price is 30,000 Won.

http://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp/newsbody.asp?code=0500&key=20181206.99099002740

• Like 7
  • LOL 6

KJH’s brother asks if CSH is really as pretty as people say. KJH answers in the affirmative, his dongsaeng is shocked because KJH is not the kind of person who notices if a girl is petty or not. Dongsaeng tells mom that CSH must be a real beauty for his brother to have noticed her, KJH’s mom is not impressed, she thinks CSH is in the wrong for having divorced her husband. She thinks a woman’s rightful place is beside her husband.

It seems like ALL the mothers are going to be problematic.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

KJH’s brother asks if CSH is really as pretty as people say. KJH answers in the affirmative, his dongsaeng is shocked because KJH is not the kind of person who notices if a girl is petty or not. Dongsaeng tells mom that CSH must be a real beauty for his brother to have noticed her, KJH’s mom is not impressed, she thinks CSH is in the wrong for having divorced her husband. She thinks a woman’s rightful place is beside her husband.

It seems like ALL the mothers are going to be problematic.

If we are not watching K-Drama, in reality, it would be unlikely for any general mothers/fathers to cheer a young man to love with a divorced older woman, esp. with different wealth and social status. :phew:

• Like 7

Dongsaeng says it’s his dream to end up with a woman like CSH. Mother says she forbids her son being with two kinds of woman - a divorced woman or a single mother. 

Uh oh.

the father is silent during the entire conversation, I think he suspects that it’s KJH in all the news reports with CSH. 

I am fast loving Park Han Gil, he was the PR team member who got drunk last time. He and CSH share the same birthday, later when everyone in the PR team is discussing the dating news and the horrible comments left by netizens he says it’s all because of envy and jealousy towards CSH. Goo Eun Jin agrees, says CSH has it all but adds that she is pretty too and  being younger has a slight advantage when it comes to age .GEJ says CSH probably feels very lonely ,  Team Leader defends CSH  and then Lee Jin Ho, the traitor snidely remarks who can really tell the  true nature of people like CSH.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I love watching this. PBG and SHK are such goodlooking actors.  I love the supporting cast too. 

I read comments about how this drama is so predictable boring. Am I watching the same drama?  

Did those commentors actually watch the episodes?

Given all kdramas have a pattern and lag at some point. 

I skipped parts of SITR that was so popular. That had too much drama for me. 

I have watched every minute of these 4 episodes and I like the flow. 

• Like 10