[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

This drama is simply breathtaking with its beautiful lead couple, their awesome acting and beautiful, romantic settings in Cuba. PBG and SHK visually killed me! Yeah, I felt like I was watching a box-office movie!

Everything is beautiful, especially the eye contact and shyness between CSH and KJH. These moments are so heart-fluttering and KJH is like a high school boy having a huge crush on his first love! He's barely able to hide his feelings and I just love all the captured moments of his staring at CSH. He displayed the right kind of shyness mixed with excitement. He laughed often because he's just in awe of CSH and her beauty. I suspect he's halfway to falling in love at first sight!  :D

PBG is good with his eyes...lol.

Like the airport encounter where he picked up the call from Donghwa hotel - his look at CSH then - speaks volume of his internal disbelief and happiness at being able to meet her again. He conveys so much feelings just with his eyes - I had to rewind many times to bask in his bewitched look at the woman he had begun to fall for. SHK is amazing with both her facial expressions and girlish laughter at times. She could tease KJH with a straight face, repeating all that he said in his drunk state....lol.

The aura of this lovely couple, the subtle romance and excitement akin to high school students' encounter, plus the magnificent camera works and angles all serve to make this drama so beautiful and special. I never knew sunset in Cuba could be this beautiful.

Not forgetting the beautiful OST and MVs which I can't help but to post them here. It's so magical.

Credit: CloudNine Sub

Credit: ClsQ

I miss this type of slow-burning and steady romance with its heart-fluttering moments. No wonder the PD said that he wants us to sit back, relax and enjoy the romance....yes, we should savor it bit by bit...and I'm excited to see how both will handle the storm when it comes. Hopefully, they'll emerge stronger and I wanna see KJH protecting CSH badly.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I have been a SHK fan since Autumn in my Heart and a PBG fan more recently. More strongly her fan but I actually went to a fan meet of his. There was a Hi-Touch so I got to high five him and he is really gorgeous with flawless skin. He just glows. Anyway I wasn't too sure about this pairing although I love them individually but they're really killing it. The drunken scene will become a classic. I can just imagine the heartbreak coming with their differences in age, background and the Korean culture. Better get the tissues ready. 

• Like 13

Episode 2, was fun [Skipped one because I can't always find the patience for the set up, though PGB's hair was great. Read a recap and I'll watch it later.]

Seriously drunk KJH was a hoot. CSH is a good sport. Sorry but I am not eating unwrapped food from someone's pocket. I was expecting her to put the dried squid in a special place as a treasured memory.

I've been thinking about Korean black cap of invisibility. In every drama K-drama [Shout out to Terrius or whoever is behind me and The Beauty Within] the folks use black caps like a wizarding coat of invisibility to great effect.  I guess the cap doesn't work that well on women.

Has anyone ever seen PBG dance.  They edited in the dance sequences as if he cannot dance, or at least as if he cannot move his feet in time with the music.  It seemed like a weird choice.

Have the series clarified the age difference.  He've aged PBG up to 29 for KJH, but I don't see as age for CSH.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

.....P.s. guys have anyone noticed that the friend of KJH also has this tiny crush on him?..  She looked at KJH when she saw the news.. Did she notice that it was him even though the face of him was blurred!! 

I kinda think her crush is major and that it could be the set-up for some future trouble.

There is one small moment I noticed (really very small):  when CSH brought a very drunk KJH home, we were shown a quick scene of the playground above the road; one of the swings was moving but not the other, so someone had to have been sitting there.  Even though the friend (sorry can't recall her character name) was supposed to go home in the other direction, I think she went back to the old neighborhood to wait for KJH to see that he got home okay.  Friend knew the playground (since we've seen her there before with KJH), so that was where she waited.

Just a thought.  ^_^

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Hello everyone,

I just caught up with both episodes and I’d like to ask about one thing that’s been confusing me - I thought SHK’s character had a kid? I was convinced from the promos that she had a kid with her ex-husband. Or did the creators decide not to include a child after all?

And we still don’t know her age, right? I don’t think she’s supposed to be over 40...

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, aisling said:

Hello everyone,

I just caught up with both episodes and I’d like to ask about one thing that’s been confusing me - I thought SHK’s character had a kid? I was convinced from the promos that she had a kid with her ex-husband. Or did the creators decide not to include a child after all?

And we still don’t know her age, right? I don’t think she’s supposed to be over 40...

@aislingYou can go back to page 57 to find the answer, @selen4ever already post the explanation there

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, thistle said:

I kinda think her crush is major and that it could be the set-up for some future trouble.

There is one small moment I noticed (really very small):  when CSH brought a very drunk KJH home, we were shown a quick scene of the playground above the road; one of the swings was moving but not the other, so someone had to have been sitting there.  Even though the friend (sorry can't recall her character name) was supposed to go home in the other direction, I think she went back to the old neighborhood to wait for KJH to see that he got home okay.  Friend knew the playground (since we've seen her there before with KJH), so that was where she waited.

Just a thought.  ^_^

Might be coz it seems she knew that it was KJH who was with CSH in that pic of date.. The way she saw him suspiciously after reading the tabloid.. There was no reason for her to look at KJH while reading her boss' news.. Next episodes,  we will see more hindrances from CSH's ex hubby n this Friend.. Plus CSH's ed mother in-law seems to have started making her move as per the preview!! 

• Like 6

@icyphoenix @thistle It appears to me that Jo Hye In had a similar strategy like JWS. She also thought that she just needed to wait, until he has settled and then she can make a move. But like I wrote before, this is definitely non-sense. She was definitely too passive. As if time would change a person's feelings. In order to move someone's heart, you need to be proactive, like JH did. To conclude, they were too self-centered because they didn't think of the other's desires and needs. When it is said that she waited that he has a good job, then it reveals too that her feelings for him are not entirely based on his personality but his social status does play a part. JH seems to have been carefree which can have bothered her: all his part-time jobs he had, I guess, she didn't see the point in it. Maybe I am overanalyzing it. 

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@icyphoenix @thistle It appears to me that Jo Hye In had a similar strategy like JWS. She also thought that she just needed to wait, until he has settled and then she can make a move. But like I wrote before, this is definitely non-sense. She was definitely too passive. As if time would change a person's feelings. In order to move someone's heart, you need to be proactive, like JH did. To conclude, they were too self-centered because they didn't think of the other's desires and needs. When it is said that she waited that he has a good job, then it reveals too that her feelings for him are not entirely based on his personality but his social status does play a part. JH seems to have been carefree which can have bothered her: all his part-time jobs he had, I guess, she didn't see the point in it. Maybe I am overanalyzing it. 

CSH's husband might have thought that after marriage everybody probably falls in love.. But when he didn't see it from her.. He wanted her to react to him but he didn't thing what could make her happy.. I guess CSH's ex husband is bought up in that way that he didn't feel the true dimension of Love so he couldn't reflect it to CSH.. As he is rich, he got things easily do he felt love of CSH would be also like that.. But no he was wrong.. I would blame his upbringing, actually I feel sorry for him.. But for KJH's friend, I guess she doesn't wanna acknowledge the fact KJH can never see her as a lover prospect.. She was there with him every phase of life, she too knows he wouldn't have that feeling for her ever but still she tries to give herself false hopes.. I feel she in that perspective is bad!! 

• Like 8

Side note but isn't it interesting how people are saying that Jinhyuk is basically Bogum but they also said the same thing about Bogum's Reply 1988 character, Taek. Taek and Jinhyuk are both adorable puppies but I guess Jinhyuk is much more expressive and extroverted while Taek is more introverted, keeping his thoughts to himself most of the time. I see Bogum as a mix of both of them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For our background info since her pic was shown several times and her song was played in the drama

Omara siempre

Omara Portuondo Peláez (born 29 October 1930) is a Cuban singer and dancer. A founding member of the popular vocal group Cuarteto d'Aida, Portuondo has collaborated with many important Cuban musicians during her long career, including Julio Gutiérrez, Juanito Márquez and Chucho Valdés. Although primarily known for her rendition of boleros, she has recorded in a wide range of styles from jazz to son cubano. Since 1996 she has been part of the Buena Vista Social Club project, touring extensively and recording several albums with the ensemble.

Credit: wikipedia

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, httpgttk said:

Side note but isn't it interesting how people are saying that Jinhyuk is basically Bogum but they also said the same thing about Bogum's Reply 1988 character, Taek. Taek and Jinhyuk are both adorable puppies but I guess Jinhyuk is much more expressive and extroverted while Taek is more introverted, keeping his thoughts to himself most of the time. I see Bogum as a mix of both of them. 

I think Taek is a calm one, and Jinhyuk is more noisy, friendly and expressive. Maybe this is a reason why PBG's acting kinda overreaction, its because jinhyuk just too expressive with everything. I watched encounter with my friend and she complain "why he always smiling". Lol

For what I remember jinhyuk character almost the same with his character in chinatown, minus an expressive one. And about PBG, I think he's more introvert, calm, like choi taek but have positive manner like jinhyuk. You'r right 

• Like 7