[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Hi everyone, same like most of you, I have watched ep 2 already. 

Bo Gum with his priest-monk-like aura has unleashed his full power in ep 2! So, being adorable is his secret weapon talent huh! I've only watched a full drama of his in reply 1988 but I was on team Ryu Jun-yeol. 

Read many comments above that he doesn't drink... so he has to practice a lot for this role... if I'm the director, I would just ask him to drink some wine and then no acting is needed since he would be easily intoxicated.

Watching their ramyun scene, Bogum makes me want to slurp noodles too. He makes it look so delicious. I can't generate feelings for him but being in my 30s close to SHK's age, I kind of watch him like a kindly godmother or elderly senior, wishing that my son can smile brightly like him too. He is indeed like his name, a precious sword of Korea.

SHK's dead face in ep 1 and 2 are on purpose, she is dead inside. She hates the media attention but wants to fulfill her family's direction as a politician family. Even her marriage was a duty for her. I can understand how she can't trust anyone. Meeting Bogum must be the best thing that happened to her. He doesn't know who she is and she must appreciate that deeply. 

The saddest thing (and I may get the dreaded second lead syndrome for this) is, I read in the character summary that her ex-husband loves her so much and decided to divorce her because he was the only one who could make this decision, so that she can be happy again. I don't think there was any third party. He loves her, he married her but everyday seeing her dead face, he knows it is not the end solution. What a great man. I hope she eventually finds out about his true intentions and feelings. Maybe his mother (her mother-in-law) is evil, but he sacrificed his reputation to give her an exit. 

Lastly, I'm really curious about SHK's lipstick shades. All of them. I want to go out and give them my money right now, just to get all colours. How does she get it so correct for her face? Muted pink, bright luscious pink, gentle sweet pink... it's all a little different and yet so beautiful in each scene. I'll be looking out for articles or information on her makeup as there is bound to be.  

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, 122am said:

The saddest thing (and I may get the dreaded second lead syndrome for this) is, I read in the character summary that her ex-husband loves her so much and decided to divorce her because he was the only one who could make this decision, so that she can be happy again. I don't think there was any third party. He loves her, he married her but everyday seeing her dead face, he knows it is not the end solution. What a great man. I hope she eventually finds out about his true intentions and feelings. Maybe his mother (her mother-in-law) is evil, but he sacrificed his reputation to give her an exit. 

I kinda have a soft spot for the ex-husband after reading his character description. Seems like he does love her. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Really appreciating all your insights on the drama! The past 2 nights have been sleepless nights for me because of livestreaming, a failed attempt at live recapping as I simply could not take my eyes off each scene in the drama and then still staying up further to check tweets, IG posts, blogs, and Naver articles to feel the pulse of the viewers. And then waking up early to check the ratings. I feel like a zombie now but a hyped up zombie because of the heart-fluttering scenes of our leads and the historic ratings. 

Boyfriend is NOT a hollow drama. It is a nuanced one (very much so...hence, I can't understand comments like the story is so-so because it is not) It needs to be chewed and digested. You need to rewatch the episodes because it is very easy to miss out on some important elements that were used to help us get to know the characters and to build up the beautiful narrative. 

I need time to put my thoughts together regarding Episodes 1 and 2 the but the first point I would like put across is the use of a deliberate "pattern" (a very good one which I don't encounter in other dramas) from the promotion to the airing of the drama:

From the teaser photos to the teaser posters and teaser videos up to the airing of the first episodes we have the following:

1ST  Introduction of Cha Soo Hyun

2ND Introduction of Kim Jin Hyuk

3RD The Fateful Encounter (which will bring about a change in the lives of each one)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ardently said:

This is a test on how great these two actors are.

I think you meant this is a test on how MATURE the audiences are?

It's clearly all in the mind about the relationship stuff in reality, isn't it? I don't see PBG acting awkward  at any point of time. He's just so natural and obviously he has taken SJK's advice to act without burden. As for SHK, she couldn't be more adorable. At some point, you could feel her laughter is so genuine. They have been in the industry for so long. I'm sure they can differentiate between reality and acting professionally. It's the audience who can't; who carry the images of wife and husband's best friend acting together. No problem for me. It's just another beautiful lead couple taking on their respective roles, earning their keeps. I hope there will be kiss scenes because for them to be professional actors, these scenes are unavoidable and realistic too.

Reiteration: It's the audience who are burdened. They can only enjoy the drama if they put down the self-imposed burden.

For me, I love their chemistry and I have no qualms about their combination. Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo are acting and this doesn't constitute betrayal in any form. I'm enjoying the drama immensely.  I just love PBG's drunken scene totally! He's just too cute! And SHK is no less adorable when she's drawn into it.... :D

And I love their dancing scene too! It exudes light-hearted, giddy moments when 2 people are attracted to each other and are excited and happy being together.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the comments about "boring" SHK's expression- let's recap the characters again, shall we?

“Boyfriend” will tell the story of Cha Soo Hyun (played by Song Hye Kyo), a woman who has never been able to truly lead a life of her own. As the daughter of a prominent politician, she is forced into an unhappy marriage with the heir to a wealthy conglomerate at a young age, and she eventually ends up getting divorced - so I guess she should be smiling happily like an idiot under such circumstances where she is the sacrificial lamb? This happens when people don't read and are quick to judge her acting. 

Cha Soo Hyun’s life changes unexpectedly when she happens to meet Kim Jin Hyuk (played by Park Bo Gum), an ordinary, innocent young man who knows how to find happiness in the small things -  I'm happy to see her relaxing and definitely smiling when she's doing stuff with KJH. Her expression obviously is in tandem with the requirements for each plot development. 

The heart-wrenching romance between the two, who appear to have nothing in common, ends up wreaking havoc on both of their lives - 

well, I'm hoping that we'll have a good ending to wrap up this "slow-paced, heart-fluttering romance"  between two such cute and beautiful persons. The PD seems a jovial and nice guy. He can't fail us.....lol.

"Different people meet and fall in love. Everyone sacrifices something (to keep their love) and feels happy when they do so. The drama focuses on that courage" - PD.

Well, I admire PBG and SHK for their courage in doing this drama together, knowing the reservations that some people have regarding their connections to SJK. They're willing to share a beautiful romance through a chance encounter with us, with all their ups and downs, and I'm so ready to be drawn into their beautiful love story.

Thanks for all the updates, comments and sharing of drama-related news and ratings. It's a very good start, I'd say.   :)

@gumtaek

I can't thank you enough for all your passionate contributions and staying up to update all. You're just too awesome! Your dedication is admirable.  :)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

About the age comments, SHK does look older than PBG but isn't her character supposed to be older than PBG?

You are right.  SHK has been married and divorced and PBG is an adventurous, carefree guy.  His warm personality will melt her cold heart.

• Like 5

Just watched episode 2 and was very happy on the development of the drama.  Now, they are really acting.  I can already see the growing chemistry between them.  Good actors are always trustworthy.  Sometimes, negative comments help the drama, too.  It makes the actors work more and try their best to live with the audience's expectations.  Of course, to die-hard fans like me, it doesn't matter if there are flaws in the drama.  I just want to see Park Bo Gum and that will make my day.  But this time, no more romantic fantazies like what I had with Kim Yoo Jung and him in Love in the Moonlight.  

• Like 8

A lot of depth of insight! Must-read! Please comment.

Boyfriend: Episode 1

by Lollypip

Boyfriend01-00228.jpg

One word: gorgeous. tvN’s new romance about a pair of lonely souls who find each other in an unlikely place is absolutely breathtaking, whether you’re talking about the cinematography or the wistful, dreamy feel of its story. These two already have a lot to overcome if they’re going to be together, and I predict that it will be equally lovely and painful to watch.

(Recap)

COMMENTS

What a lovely drama this is looking to be. I particularly enjoy the slow burn of the story — this first episode felt unrushed and languid, as if there’s a tale to tell but no hurry to tell it. The cinematography was absolutely breathtaking, with saturated colors and soft edges combining to create a dreamlike feel, so dreamlike in fact that I nodded off once or twice while watching. I mean that in the best possible way! There’s nothing boring about Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk’s romance, it’s just that the show has this relaxing quality to it that made me feel pleasantly comfortable. I know it’s too much to hope that things will feel the same after leaving Cuba, but I really hope the show finds a way to continue the magical aura now that our hero and heroine are back in Korea.

I really have high hopes that the director will continue to tell a lovely visual story as well as a lovely romantic one, because the way that colors and camera angles were used to create certain moods was just masterful. The scenes in Cuba were rich with warm colors and soft lighting, while the scenes of Soo-hyun’s unhappy home life were washed out and sharp. This was used to particularly dramatic effect when Soo-hyun was watching the sunset and remembered her life back home, and suddenly everything went from comfortable and cozy to stark and cold. It’s rare that a drama moves me as much from the visual artistry as the acting and story, but I think this will be one of those dramas.

Boyfriend01-00238.jpg

That’s not to say that the story and acting aren’t great, and goodness knows that our leads make a strong contribution the visual impact of Boyfriend. Both Song Hye-gyo and Park Bo-gum are ridiculously beautiful, but more importantly, they’re experienced, nuanced actors who know how to build a scene around a feeling or a significant moment even when there’s no dialogue. In fact, Soo-hyun and Jin-hyuk seem to be the sort of people who don’t use many words unless absolutely necessary. And that gets me as excited about this show as anything else, because nothing is more lovely than watching two people who don’t need to talk to fall in love.

Aside from the beautiful look and feel of the show, I found myself drawn to the characters relatively quickly. Part of that is my admiration of Song Hye-gyo and Park Bo-gum as actors, but the characters themselves are just incredibly interesting people. Jin-hyuk is not wild and irresponsible like I was anticipating after hearing the character descriptions, but instead seems to be very wise and insightful, but a little insecure and with different priorities in life than the mainstream. Soo-hyun is quiet and reserved, always doing what’s expected of her and never rocking the boat… but that seems to be more a product of self-preservation after living her life in the spotlight (including her disastrous marriage) than her true personality. There were moments when she showed great insight, like how she knew that Jin-hyuk wouldn’t take money from her, or her mostly-hidden wicked sense of humor, such as when she threatened to fire Secretary Jang for not hanging out with her. I’m very much looking forward to seeing Soo-hyun’s true personality blossom as Jin-hyuk’s carefree and open nature begins to influence her.

I can already tell that these two are going to break my heart in all the most painful and wonderful ways. They liked each other so much on the night they spent together, but they each also showed a lot of insecurity and uncertainty, too. That first scene at the airport was awful, the way it was so obvious that they were happy to see each other but too nervous or scared to admit it. Thank goodness Jin-hyuk figured out who Soo-hyun is, and he may even be her employee soon, but I’m afraid of what the future holds once they realize what a huge social and financial chasm stretches between them. Their love story will be epic and painful, but I’m totally ready to dive right in and see where this takes them.

Boyfriend01-00371.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/boyfriend-episode-1/

• Like 14

Is "Do you have any money?" the new pick up line to get a boyfriend? ;)

I was enticed to watch just for the pretty lead actors alone but thankfully it also has a beautiful story and the cinematography is just :astonished:

While thinking about dramas like Boys Before Flowers, I wished there's also a drama where the girl is the rich one while the boy is the poor one. For example a love story between a princess and her knight or an ojousama and her butler lol :P  In here it's a heiress and younger man commoner.

I like CSH. I think she's very cool. I was pissed when her mom said that there's no one who will fall in love with her. When the date photo leaked, I was worried for our 2 leads but I was also happy imagining the reactions of the mother and mother in law. I was like yeah take that, CSH can have a great time too too coz she's with a person who can make her laugh.

About KJH the "future-boyfriend", I love his nice personality. It's cute that he's giddy like a fanboy whenever he's with CSH.  I love the gender role reversal. This time the boy got the stuff toy from the girl lol. Im sure his life will never be as peaceful again as she got involved with CSH but I trust that he will not avoid her but in contrary will continue to be her friend. His friend also said that he's the stubborn type.

Some complained that the drama is slow but I actually appreciate these types of dramas more. The leads' interactions are heart fluttering and I just found myself smiling watching them.:wub:

PS. It seems that this is the third noona romance drama Im watching this year. What they all have in common is the nice and sweet but persistent younger male lead. Im so blessed. :blush:

• Like 17

Encounter" Song Hye-kyo Is a Lady Divided

posterphoto1020558.jpg

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Encounter", Song Hye-kyo as Cha Soo-hyeon started laughing with Park Bo-gum as Kim Jin-hyeok.

She felt interested in the carefree young man who seems to be living in a different world than hers. In the process, Song's various charms captured the hearts of viewers. She couldn't help the curiosity she had for Kim Jin-hyeok and looked up his resume. She also wondered who he was talking to on the phone.

When she met him, she smiled without knowing it. She sneaked a look at him, but when he turned to look, she turned her face quickly away.

This is a different side to Cha Soo-hyeon. She's very honest with her feelings and at the same time, she very bold. She picked up a doll for Kim Jin-hyeok and said suggested eating ramyun because it was her dream to do so. She also adjusted the passenger seat for him.

On the other hand, her lack of freedom brought out the bitterness in her life. However, Song Hye-kyo is doing a good job of portraying a woman who is building her curiosity and honesty.

• Like 9

I'm Sold with this drama!!!

So lovely... the dialogs kinda weird for some parts, but the actors did a good job. I dont felt awkward with their interaction (maybe because I'm not into song-song couple?) everything's narutal. I think its better to watch both episodes in one go.      

SHK looks so pretty! and PBG's smile awwww

cant wait for the next episode

• Like 5

I liked the first ep. Idk what's with the harsh reviews? It did feel a lil dated? Like a drama from the 90s or something. 

The views from Cuba were gorgeous. Especially the sunset... 

There's chemistry between Hye-Kyo & Bo-Gum (aw his smile) in some parts it reminds me of Devilish Joy but the roles reversed. This time an ordinary guy falls for a female CEO. 

A lil dumb that a female traveler goes wandering after taking a sleeping pill LoL. And then she acts so nonchalant when her purse get stolen.. Poor Bo-Gum havin' to spend so much ha-ha! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

I liked how Soo Hyun managed to so subtly determine he was speaking to his mom at 12.42pm. Hehe.

The boy seems to be crushing quite a bit. I can feel the thrill he feels, understand the smiles he cannot suppress. I do wonder what the attraction is.

Is he in awe and looks up to her maturity, confidence and sophistication? Afterall, she absolutely is stunning and turns heads. After finding out about who she is, it seemed that he was uncomfortable because of those exact qualities. There is wariness mixed with curiosity and honesty. He is so easy to read. I like how the show and PBG could unfold that in an adorable way. 

Jin Hyuk is breath of fresh air in her world. Perhaps cos he sees her as a person instead of who she is/represents in society. She can be real with him and not be too concerned about what he thinks - cos he isn’t built to mind the stratas in society. Or perhaps he doesn’t know how much it can affect him when he steps on the wrong toes. I guess he is about to find out. The paparazzi is frightening. So are the mothers.

Appearances are given too much importance. If you look good, you have certain advantages. If you are good-looking and in high society, there are even more advantages. But these are very superficial and no one really knows the life led.

She is bitter and obligated because of her very unhappy experiences - she’s managed them well I think to only turn into someone cold so she can numb out the hurt. She didn’t turn nasty and hysterical so her nature must be a good one. I am looking forward to how she might morph into someone who takes full control of her destiny and not be beholden to appearances after she meets Jin Hyuk, finding strength in his candor and joie de vivre. 

• Like 16

8 Reasons Why Park BoGum Already Stole The Hearts Of Viewers In First Episode Of “Encounter”

Are you part of the fans that have eagerly waited for the drama “Encounter”? The new drama with Song HyeKyo and Park BoGum. The love story of a chaebol and an ordinary man. For more information and pictures about the drama, you can have a look at it here.

The first episodes started to broadcast this week and from the first episode Park BoGum stole the hearts of viewers with his character name Kim JinHyuk. Be aware that this article has spoiler up to the first episode only.

The first episode of the drama took place in Cuba. The drama shows the beauty of the country with cinematographic scenes. Park BoGum is on a backpacking trip with the money he saved from his part-time jobs. Song HyeKyo (as Cha SooHyun) is on a business trip.

Here is a list of some of the reasons why Park BoGum already got viewers falling for him.

1- The Way He Travels

The fact that he was backpacking with his own money and that he planned his trip all by himself seems rather attractive. Also, during his trips, he had fun with the locals and even danced with a little girl. The boy also impressed with English skills and a few words in Spanish. It looked like he is having the best travel ever and made viewers want to travel with him.

His attractive backpacker look is a plus.

park bogum encounter, park bogum drama, park bogum boyfriend, park bogum 2018, park bogum cuba, park bogum boyfriend episode 1, park bogum tvn

tvN

2- The Way He Care For Things Because Of Sentiments Over Money

Because of an accident, the camera which he cherishes got damaged. Throughout the episode, viewers could feel that he is attached to it because of its meaning more than its costs. It looks like he is sentimental and sensitive to things.

park bogum encounter, park bogum drama, park bogum boyfriend, park bogum 2018, park bogum cuba, park bogum boyfriend episode 1, park bogum tvn

tvN

3- The Way He Looks At The Female Lead

With Park BoGum’s great acting, viewers can right away be aware of his feelings for Song HyeKyo. At various times, he surprised viewers. For example, the scene where he first saw the lady as she was walking afar and also when they first matched eyes in a romantic scene.

4- Life Savior

Song HyeKyo was by herself waiting for the sunset, sitting at the edge with also the effects of her sleeping pills kicking in. As she was dowsing off and almost falling, Park BoGum came on time to save her. In other words, he is her life savior.

5- He Makes Her Trip Perfect

Park BoGum seems to know about how to enjoy traveling in Cuba. He chose for her the perfect song to see the sunset, he knew places for Salsa show, and he also knew how and where to take transportation. He even helped with directing the taxi driver. The way he put his heart and effort to help is sweet.

tvN

6- Consideration

Park BoGum has a lot of consideration for the girl and that can be seen at several moments. For example, he went to search for her dropped shoe. One of the best examples would be when he decided to walk bare feet so that she felt less embarrassed to do so. It is very considerate for someone you just got to know on the day.

7- “It’s Adorable”

Several cheesy lines are also a reason why Park BoGum stole hearts. One of them is “It’s adorable” when she was asking him if he could buy beer.

tvN

8- Sincere Hope To Get To Know Her

The characters did not exchange numbers but they agree to meet the next day early morning at a cafe. Not only the boy came early, but he left a sweet note as he had to leave to take his train. Viewers could feel that he was very disappointed and sad that he could not meet her again and get to know her more.

cr (https://www.kpopmap.com/8-reasons-why-park-bogum-already-stole-the-hearts-of-viewers-in-first-episode-of-encounter/)

Edited by bebebisous33
too much space
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh, the second episode absolutely charmed me. There were already a lot of good insights from what I've read but I'd just like to verbalize my thoughts. First of all, I LOVE the subversion and gender-reversal of the typical cold-hotshot-guy-with-a-troubled-past-falls-in-love-with-a-quirky-girl kdrama trope. They even subverted the usual kdrama scenario where the girl gets drunk and gets taken home by the guy lol.  I think it’s very telling that people are criticizing SHK’s consistent stoic and straight-face and even Jinhyuk’s tendency to smile at anything because these aren’t really common archetypes in kdrama land. Usually the smiley guy and the cold girl end up as second leads who are left to pine over the main leads. Usually, the cold guy is the one in a position of power while the quirky girl is the one who will “thaw” his cold heart.

In this drama, the dynamic of the leads are so subtle and nuanced that you don’t really have to make them spoon feed the audience what they’re feeling through dialogue — they just have to show it through their smiles and gestures, and I find this beautiful and refreshing. In real life, we pick up what others are feeling or indirectly conveying through their body language and not necessarily through what they’re saying and imo, the actors really nailed that. Like what I said in my comment about the first episode, SHK and PBG really nailed the awkward-and-shy-but-curious-about-each-other vibe and this is why I’m really confused about the people who are saying the scenes looked awkward because, imo, I think that was supposed to be the point. They’re strangers who met due to weird circumstances and found themselves coincidentally seeing each other again — who wouldn’t be awkward? The actors were really good in showing that awkwardness and shy infatuation with each other which you can see through their subtle smiles. Isn’t this how it really is in real life? When you meet someone new that you like, there are a lot of awkward silences and hidden smiles. Honestly, those subtle and nuanced gestures made by the two actors really intensified their chemistry for me. They don’t need to talk nor do they need to verbalize their curiosity about each other; their actions speak for them. And before I forget, although I'm sure there will be A LOT of obstacles and hurdles they have to face because of their (future) relationship, I like how the leads themselves didn't bring that unnecessary tension through denial of their feelings (that's a common trope which I'm so tired of)

Other than that, I love how we’re slowly getting more and more snippets of their personalities through their interactions. CSH is very frank but she’s also quite gentle and empathetic. She also loves to tease people with cold one-liners and is strangely curious and innocent despite her stoic exterior. KJH so far is a ball of sunshine with some insecurities. So far, he’s quite transparent about his emotions so I’m curious to see how his character will develop. I’d love to see a different side of him that we’re not expecting and I think we’re gonna see that when conflicts arise throughout the drama.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rahma92 said:

I'm Sold with this drama!!!

So lovely... the dialogs kinda weird for some parts, but the actors did a good job. I dont felt awkward with their interaction (maybe because I'm not into song-song couple?) everything's narutal. I think its better to watch both episodes in one go.      

SHK looks so pretty! and PBG's smile awwww

cant wait for the next episode

Me too. Just watched 2 episodes in a row. When they were having their ramyeon facing the street i did wonder what if someone took their picture, and it happened.  I am interested to see how they' re going to deal with the current situation. So, I'm sold too! Till next week.

• Like 9