[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@dukesa1122 I was too depressed to post here, the thread reminds me that it’s the last week.

@bebebisous33 yes, I thought the same after the first episode. There is so much focus on her consumption of sleeping pills that the possibility cannot be ignored. Don’t you think that the show suggests SH suffering from depression, it’s sort of implied but not yet confirmed. Someone suffering from depression could overdose on medicine without intending to kill themselves.

Spoiler

In high school someone in the year above me overdosed on sleeping pills and was discovered dead by his mother the next morning. Turns out he was suffering from depression, he also had a bad case of insomnia which was aggravated by his depression. :tears:

• Like 1
  • Sad 17
  • Insightful 2

So far, in terms of predictions, I am happy that

1) Hye In as predicted did not close ranks with Taegyeong as it will go against her desire of protecting Jin hyuk from getting hurt...

2) that Congressman Cha will reciprocate the sacrifice his daughter Soo Hyun made to help his political career and that his way of doing it was going to serve his purpose of 'living properly' in the form of admitting to receiving political bribery from Taegyeong, a most effective way of bringing about its downfall (hopefully), thus, freeing Soo Hyun from its clutches...

So I still hold fast to this in terms of the ending....

bEIqavy.png

and to what Song Hye Kyo said in the Press Conference which I posted here several pages back that "It's a cute love story." I cannot reconcile anything tragic with that statement. :)

• Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 7

Good point, @ahdrianaa.

She might be depressed. Strictly speaking tho, to be diagnosed with a major depressive disorder you must fulfill at least 5 of the core symptoms of it. These symptoms should also last two weeks. Oh, and insomnia is very common among depressed patients.

Generally speaking, the term depression has a very broad meaning in the field of psychiatry. There’s major depression, there’s persistent depression (lasting up to 2 years), then there’s double depression (major depression on top of persistent depression)

Anyway, I didn’t mean to give a crash course on mood disorders lol BUT it will be hard to diagnose our dear CSH, who is a fictional character

Given what she’s been through tho for the past years, I’d say she might be in a persistent depressive state until of course, JH came along. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 6

@stardustvoid what about lack of appetite? Is that a sign for depression too?

SH keeps hinting that she doesn’t have much of an appetite during the show, she tells Secretary Jang that she wants a certain kind of breakfast, she tells JH that she is picky about food. JH is constantly worrying about her meals, she even tells him during their dinner that it was the first meal of the day for her

• Like 7
  • Insightful 7

5 Lines By Park Bo Gum From âEncounterâ That Made Our Hearts Flutter

5 Lines By Park Bo Gum From “Encounter” That Made Our Hearts Flutter

Jan 22, 2019
by D. S.kim

With only two episodes left until the end of “Encounter,” viewers are feeling bittersweet to see the romantic journey of Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo) and Jin Hyuk (Park Bo Gum) come to an end. The end of the drama also means the end of Jin Hyuk’s sweet words to and about Soo Hyun, which touched not only Soo Hyun’s heart but also those of viewers.

Here are five lines from Jin Hyuk that filled our stomachs with butterflies!

1. “My place is within a 10 centimeter distance of Cha Soo Hyun.”

In episode 11, Soo Hyun expresses her concerns about their relationship. She reveals that she worries Jin Hyuk is too good to be true and that it would all be a dream when she wakes up in the morning.

In response, Jin Hyuk calms her down by promising to always be next to Soo Hyun. He says, “I have a new set of coordinates now. My place is within a 10 centimeter distance of Cha Soo Hyun. I will always be there.”

2. “If there’s something I have to deal with in order to protect her, whatever that may be, I will not run away from it.”

In episode 12, Jin Hyuk is confronted by Jung Woo Suk (Jang Seung Jo), Soo Hyun’s ex-husband. When Jung Woo Suk tells Jin Hyuk to give up on Soo Hyun because he will not be able to handle her, Jin Hyuk shows his determination to keep her.

He says, “If there’s something I need to deal with in order to protect her, whatever that may be, I will not run away.” He adds, “I’m protecting her my way.”

3. “She is the first one to help me realize what love is.”

In episode 14, Jin Hyuk meets with Soo Hyun’s father. During the meeting, Soo Hyun’s father asks about Jin Hyuk’s relationship with Soo Hyun, and Jin Hyuk answers, “I care about her a lot.”

He continues, “She is the first person to help me realize what love is. I want to take responsibility for that love.” By doing so, Jin Hyuk sets the mind of Soo Hyun’s father at ease.

4. “I will walk together with this person.”

In episode 11, Jin Hyuk confesses to his father about his true feelings for Soo Hyun. When his father reveals that he is worried about him, Jin Hyuk says, “I will walk together with this person. I don’t know where it will take us, but we will go as far as we can.”

When Jin Hyuk’s father sees that Jin Hyuk is certain about his feelings for Soo Hyun, he puts aside his worries and decides to trust his son.

5. “She makes me an honorable man.”

In episode 14, Jin Hyuk shows his deepened feelings for Soo Hyun to his mother who worries about the differences between Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun. However, Jin Hyuk lets his mother know that Soo Hyun is a special person to him by saying, “I think she turns me into an honorable man.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1296725wpp/5-lines-park-bo-gum-encounter-made-hearts-flutter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

@ahdrianaa yes, it’s a core symptom

lack of appetite, eating disturbances

insomnia/hypersomnia

anhedonia

feelings of worthlessness 

indecisiveness

recurrent thoughts of death

Those are just some of the symptoms

Ah, she should just move to a new country and farm with JH just like Driver Nam said :P

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

Does this all end with sad ending?
then, what is the author's statement? that he will give the audience a happiness not a sorrow?

lately, my design was destroyed because it always crossed whether they would end up happy? 
this is indeed a drama, but it feels real
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Watch: Park Bo Gum Shares Silly Behind-The-Scenes Moments During âEncounterâ Filming

Watch: Park Bo Gum Shares Silly Behind-The-Scenes Moments During “Encounter” Filming

Jan 22, 2019
by Y. Shin

tvN’s “Encounter” has revealed a new behind-the-scenes video of Park Bo Gum, Song Hye Kyo, and other actors!

The clip begins with Park Bo Gum shooting a scene with his on-set family. He takes the camera to introduce the actors who play his family, and everyone waves hello to the camera as Park Bo Gum grins happily.

Park Bo Gum’s fascination with the behind-the-scenes camera doesn’t end there as he later takes the device to film his co-stars. He holds the camera steadily in his hands, taking on the task seriously. Later, his co-stars ask if he is good at English, to which Park Bo Gum replies, “Hello, everyone!”

The actor then takes viewers to a “class” on leather-making and explains the steps to cut out a pattern. He clasps his hands together as he jokes, “This has been Kim Jin Hyuk’s leather crafting class. Please click the subscribe button.”

The scene later shifts to one featuring Song Hye Kyo and Jang Seung Jo. Before filming their tense scene together, Song Hye Kyo reveals that she and Jang Seung Jo are actually the same age and remarks, “We’re friends.” She laughs as she tells him, “Let’s meet in a friendly manner in our next drama.”

Park Bo Gum takes the behind-the-scenes camera back as he finally thanks viewers for their support and cutely tries to introduce the director, who speedily walks away after seeing the camera in his hands.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1296733wpp/watch-park-bo-gum-shares-silly-behind-scenes-moments-encounter-filming

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, she might take too many sleeping pills because she has trouble to sleep... and she has an overdosis of sleeping pills. the result is: it looks like a suicide attempt.

I was just about to post this..i was thinking about what you said and going back to the preview..

In the scene with JH looking at his phone, he is thinking.. he had called CSH 11 times n the last call he made was about 11.30 AM and it's night when he is checking his phone.. he is wondering why CSH hasn't called back.. and this scene also has JH in mirror angle n JH turning back in concern.. so this is a significant scene.   

The person coming up behind JH is most certainly Nam or MiJin to tell JH about CSH.. 

My guess is she must likely ODed on the pills accidentally.. doesn't turn up in office next day prompting JH to call her multiple times in the morning.. but no response...

In the night, when he is checking his phone, Nam (most likely) tells him that CSH is in hospital.. this might be ep15 ending.. After this JH wil not leave her side no matter what..

• Like 11
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many calories did they lose from all that kissing plus the retakes from different angles :lol: No wonder they both look so thin after Cuba hahaha

Spoiler

(this is just a joke to lighten the mood ok?)

@stardustvoid

we’ve been dry since episode 10, chingu. Haha! Honestly. KJH can be a monk if he’s really a real life person. I mean, how can you resist that lips.....  :sweatingbullets:

@rosiepeonie188

lol the person who posted might’ve been scolded by posting the pic with the bandage (or was it really a bandage?). Too late though, once it’s up, it’s up. Some are too fast with the screenies.

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3

Eventhough my guess is always wrong, can i still make a guess about  the photo with the illuminated cross? 

The way Jh sits, its like proposing something. Like the way he sits when he gives the bouquet to Sh. The cross meaning church. The illuminated cross is always seen whenever they are in the playground or under the naebu expressway.

I can't remember who posted the translation of the poster behind them at the bookstore which is .... the next face of the model is you. And this might be related to the painting of the headless bride. The man in the yt also discussed the painting and also thinks that there might be a relation to the poster in the bookstore.

And Samuel said... the love begin and completed there.

Oh, i just hope for the best.

We may have.101 ideas of what comes next but knowing already  what will mostly happen on ep 15,  we are on a dead end.

I think this is what" disappear" they are always mentioning. Their relationship disappears but love never disappears. Jh promised to be at 10 cm near to Sh. Because love never disappears , i hope it will give them courage to be together again.

I hope all the issues  with all the other characters will be settled before ep 15 ends. And ep 16  is only about them. No screen time tor other characters,,only them.

The only mother with no bad characterization is Mrs. Kim(SJ).  And she is a divorcee. Her convo with her daughter , there is something on it.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

@stardustvoid

we’ve been dry since episode 10, chingu. Haha! Honestly. KJH can be a monk if he’s really a real life person. I mean, how can you resist that lips.....  :sweatingbullets:

Tell me about it

A4dp79l.gif

I blame Seoul and the complications, lol. At least we got some split second pecks *pfft*. Seriously tho, where are my other cute coupley scenes? They prepared dinner together but we didn’t even see it...:tears: She saw his room, but we didn’t see it too!

The optimist in me thinks PD has another explosive scene in store. The pessimist in me thinks they played their cards too early.

Now before some of you jump on me for being too obsessed with smooches, I’m just trying to lighten up the mood. Humor is a mature defense mechanism :P

• LOL 22