[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

I first watched episode 13 without subs and couldn't bring myself to watch episode 14 and just relied on the live recaps. I couldn't get any sleep and decided to rewatch the scene where JH's mom asked her to break up with her son, this time with subs. 

I can understood JH mom's stated reasons for wanting SH to break up with JH, but watching that scene again didn't hurt any less. And despite her repeatedly saying I'm so sorry to SH, it just felt even more hurtful. It somehow felt like a slap in the face. Worse, SH couldn't defend herself. And seeing her unrestrained tears was still way too upsetting for me.  She had always been so tightly controlled when it comes to her feelings. This is the first time I have ever felt that I hate the words "I am sorry, and please". It reminded me of SH's mom who also pleaded with her to attend the death anniversary, by using the word please repeatedly. But it didn't move nor hurt her because her mom no longer has any control or holds any power over SH. Whereas this time around, she was completely defenseless. SH wanted so much for JH's mom to like her. Sigh. 

I just observed that the mom seems terrified that JH might get his heart broken over a relationship that's not even serious. I'm hoping that if SH decides to keep on going; the first thing she needs to do is let JH's mom know just how much her relationship with JH truly means to her. And also to let Mom see for herself how very capable JH is when it comes to his work. She should be proud of JH and care less about what other people think. There will always be haters and people jealous of him, but that should not stop them from living the way they want to. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Boyfriend' Park Bo Gom, Song Hye-kyo met his father .. "

Article Entered 2019.01.17 9:48 pm
Last modified 2019.01.17 9:49 pm 
0003791567_001_20190117214948307.jpg?type=w430_q70View original
Park Sookmoon, Moon Sung Keun / TVN Capture © News 1
(Seoul = News 1) Lee Ji Hyun reporter 'Boyfriend' Park Sookmyung met his father Song Hye Kyo. 
In the TVN drama 'Boyfriend' broadcasted on the afternoon of the 17th, Kim Jin-hyuk (Park Bo-gum) faced Cha Jong-hyun (Moon Sung-Keun), father of Cha Seo-hyun. 
Cha Jonghyun first proposed a meal to Kim Jin-hyuk and confided in his mind. He asked, "How about you and me? We had a lot of difficulties, but are we still seeing them well?" "I do not say so, so I asked him here," he laughed. 
Kim Jin-hyeok said, "I have a lot of dignity, and it is the person who made me know what it is to love for the first time, so I want to take responsibility for it." 
Cha Jonghyun told Kim Jin-hyuk, "I have one homework that I have not been able to do in the past, and I am afraid that Suhyun will be alone, so I can not do it. He said. 
So Kim Jin-hyuk smiled, saying, "Please watch me, I will always be around you so that you are not alone." 
Meanwhile, 'Boyfriend' is a romance drama that begins with Cha Byoung-hyo (Song Hye-gyo), who has never lived his chosen life, and a free and clear soul Kim Jin-hyuk (Park Bo Sword) is broadcasted every Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 pm . 
lll@news1.kr....source credit @https://m.entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=421&aid=0003791567&rankingType=default&rankingDate=20190117

Repost Only: credit and thanks @2014rainy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@ahdrianaa I do agree that SH's mother can feel disappointed with her new boyfriend.

If she felt that way because her daughter was happier with WS it's different. But it was always riches and power with her.

Yes she sacrificed herself for her husband. But then she expected a payoff. It is always about what she wanted. Yes a mother or wife should not be expected to sacrifice all. But her world view that SH would be better off for WS are for the wrong reasons. And her treatment towards SH is not a normal maternal sort of love. So yeah she can disapprove but she wanted WS and his associated benefits. It is not because she wanted or see how happy/ contented SH is with KJH. Yes SH is in the beginning stages of love but it's not as if KJH was dirt poor and incapable. He has a job and will be financially independant in the future. Not everyone can be born wealthy. He is average. And SH's mother wanted the cream of the husband crop for her own benefit.

That's why I understand her view. Have no sympathy for her as a mother for it. That shouldn't be why you have children. They are or should not be there for your social status. Where's the respect for them as an individual?

Btw am off for another busy day so won't be back still watching. I have no complaints about the watchability factor for this drama. Just a bit surprised at the extreme reactions like the plot developments are a surprise. You can see it coming. Its expected. And so is the ending.  I am not expecting a surprise ending.

What I am watching is the execution of the plot points. The story delivery. And so far its hitting all the right notes when it comes to delivery of expected plot devices in a Kdrama. Lovely pace. Lovely story flow.

Haven't screamed at the tv for this drama yet. Or the writer as well. Maybe whoever is screaming should watch some truly bad dramas to get a perspective. Or how badly bungled dramas and angst looks like. Say a 6 episode separation or a twit of a male or female lead. 

@autumnight agree with your views. However the drama is not jarring with unexpected issues. Or major omissions. It is a melo drama so I wasn't expecting legal or medical accuracy. So dialed my expectations to only having a good romance drama.

And maybe because I am Asian it takes a lot for me to react. Since I am used to unreasonable mothers and MIL's actions. The sense of entitlement that they seem to have interfering in their children's lives. My real life examples makes Kdramas mothers and MIL pale in comparison. I cringe more with what real mothers have done.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

after seeing episode 13, I couldn't sleep and wasn't in the mood to do any task. 
hope episode 14 gives a positive, but even the opposite. now that I'm really tight seeing them split up,
 hopefully they end up happy so that I can live happily too
Edited by mads129
terlalu pendek
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

boyfriend14.png

Boyfriend] Ep 14 spoilers, Park Bo Gum x Song Hye Gyo

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2019

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Song Hye Gyo decides to break up with Park Bo Gum, "I'll break up with you now" 

1. [+1239,-73]
A boyfriend like Kim Jin Hyuk, Park Bo Gum doesn't exist... A blackhole without any exit.. It was sad. Jin Hyuk said he will be wherever Soo Hyun is. I understand where Soo Hyun is coming from, but don't break up. ㅠㅠㅠ Don't cry. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+864,-32]
The two are thinking for each other too much.. Just let them love each other.. ㅜㅜㅜ Don't 

tear my heart into pieces. ㅠㅠㅠ And how am I supposed to wait another week? ㅠㅠㅠㅠ 

3. [+486,-22]
Park Bo Gum, Jin Hyuk is such a nice man. ㅠㅠ He speaks in a reliable and touching way. ㅠㅠ Jin Hyuk's heart is going to break next week. ㅠㅠ I hope he's happy. 

4. [+226,-38]
Song Hye Gyo's acting is outstanding and she touches hearts this time. Her beauty is amazing too, she matches well with Park Bo Gum. I'm clapping for the two. 

5. [+198,-45]
I could only say that Song Hye Gyo is pretty. 

6. [+171,-18]
I cried just by looking at Song Hye Gyo's eyes. That's how good her acting is. 

7. [+140,-17]
Song Hye Gyo's emotional acting is the best. She's pretty too. 

8. [+129,-11]
I cried while watching Boyfriend today. Park Bo Gum's mysterious smile at the end that seems like he knows and somehow, it seems like he doesn't know, that made it sadder. Park Bo Gum's acting is really good.

boy14.png

Article: Naver 'Boyfriend' Song Hye Gyo decides to break up with Park Bo Gum, "I'll break up with you now" 

1. [+684,-19]
Don't decide to do that, Soo Hyun-ah... ㅠㅠㅠ Soo Hyun leaving Jin Hyuk will be the thing 

that hurt him the most. Don't break up. 

2. [+447,-7]
Jin Hyuk was smiling and saying that he'll always be with her, but why is Soo Hyun breaking up with him? Don't do that. Don't make it a sad ending. ㅠㅠ

3. [+310,-13]
I was tearing up while watching unknowingly too. I hope Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun gets a happy ending!! Thanks to Park Bo Gum's and Song Hye Gyo's great and immersive acting, I got to enjoy this. 

4. [+258,-5]
Park Bo Gum said that even if she's at the end of the world, he will be there... Don't break up. 

5. [+244,-7]
Park Bo Gum's personal life has already been revealed, he has still made it till this point even though it's been difficult. You can't do this, Soo Hyun-ah. Jin Hyuk is going to be sad, how do  you want him to live? ㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+72,-4]
Ah, Park Bo Gum ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ No matter how difficult or hard things were, he's someone who will always remain strong and endure them. Where else can you find someone like him that you're breaking up with him now? My heart hurts today. How am I supposed to watch Park Bo Gum getting hurt next week? I'm already worried. 

7. [+70,-4]
Please don't make Park Bo Gum cry. I'm already sad thinking that things are going to be difficult next week. 

8. [+99,-34]
I can't watch this a second time. It's too sad! In the middle of that, Song Hye Gyo is so pretty. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Hello, without contest, "Encounter" will be one of my favorite dramas of 2019. I adore te plot, the cast, the chemistry,...

The episode 13 was quite well but the end made me sad with KJH's mother's request to CSH. I almost cried. Even if i can understand the reasons of the mother, I hope that the scenario will give us a happy ending. 

I will watch the episode 14, hoping that the last 2 episodes next week will be moving and heartful as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I am not sure whether I am hallucinating but do any of you remember seeing Park Bo Gum cry in one of the Encounter teasers? I remember seeing a scene where Bo gum, seated in a car, was crying... I remember saying to myself “wow, that was some intense acting.”  I have been searching for it but couldn’t find that scene. I really hope it was just a terrible nightmare I had due to  Song Hye Gyo’s and Park Bo Gum’s immersive and superb acting.

• Like 7

bc585c8f-c719-4f51-9b08-656abd959b6b.jpg

I do not want to break up with the soul sword.

Input: 2019.01.17 11:49 PM

Revision: 2019.01.17 11:49 PM  

This check-TV] Actress Song Hye-kyo spilled tears because I did not want to break up with Park Bo-gum. 

12c53f3c-4ff5-4ccd-8462-ceb7c5a53f99.jpg

On the 17th tvN 'Boyfriend' 14th show, Cha Seo-hyun (Song Hye-kyo), who is worried about continuing his romance with Kim Jin-hyuk 

d328df5a-27ec-4ecd-bd27-00a0161fd391.jpg

Cha Soo-hyun talked with her best friend, Rose Gin (Kwak Sun-young), on the stall. Cha Soo-hyun was worried about his family because he was hurt by himself. 

338ea11a-16b0-46ae-8916-2ee5e9be8351.jpg

She said, "If you only want one, do you care about your family? It is a serious illness to care for others." Cha Soo-hyun said, "I have married and the world knows it. I think there is a limit to what we can dream of." 

24283a02-3773-48db-9614-e94406d1a1b1.jpg

So he comforted Cha Soo-hyun, "You are your first love." Cha Soo-hyun, who heard this, spilled tears. 

9dd42553-a696-4bb4-8f6b-77ebdf52943b.jpg

Cha Soo-hyun, "I really do not want to break up," I confessed. "But what about his family's sins, because of me. I have this kind of life, once I start, I start to freak out." 

aa79a84e-ad32-4faa-8c7b-fb071faa3edd.jpg

L"I do not want to worry about it, and I'm going to suffer from it all by myself," said Chae Soo-hyun, who told her to talk to Kim Jin-hyuk. 

Photo / video source = tvN 'boyfriend'>...source credit @https://www.dispatch.co.kr/2001195#_enliple

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

For the love of... after seeing all these depressing posts, I'm depressed myself! Song Hye Kyo had really outdone herself this time with such great acting! I'm refraining watching the episodes but every time I see gifs, photos, and dialogues from her, I can't help my heart from breaking. Amidst her character growth throughout, I think ep 14 also proved that CSH is after all just a woman who loves others without boundaries and is still afraid to love herself fully. She embodies pure and unselfish love and that's why it's so heartbreaking to see her in this state. I think although the writer is still flawed, I think the way she had written CSH's character is close to perfection.

In the end, seriously, this storm too shall pass! After all, no storms last forever and I believe it's the same for SH and JH. We will have our happy ending. 

PS.

even sweets right now seem hard to swallow :tears:

• Like 9
  • Sad 7
  • Thanks 2

IMG_0389.jpg

Deep breath... this is a drama so there will be drama. It's not surprising that as we're nearing the end, everything is building up to a climax.

Watching episode 14 was like a bad rollercoaster ride that I really wanted to get off of at times. What was most heart wrenching was the contrast between CSH crying and in pain and KJH blissfully unaware. He seemed to have a sense that something was off with her but no idea that his own mother was behind it.

Well actions have consequences. There have been differing opinions on JH's mom and what she did. I have no issue with her not approving of her son's relationship with SH, what I found problematic is the way she went about trying to break them up. Yes he's her precious child, but SH is also someone's precious child and she could care less. The way she dumped on SH, backing her into a corner and put the entire burden on her was very unfair and cowardly. Did she not see SH's heartbroken face or her tears? This lady may seem nice on the surface but she's not as docile as she seems and she knew exactly what she was doing. If she was so sure that she's right she could've talked to JH or her husband about it first. Instead she snuck around everyone's backs. What makes it worse for me is that she overheard JH telling his dad how much he liked her and couldn't imagine living without her and decided to just blatantly ignore his feelings. She knows that SH is a decent person and was preying on her love for her son to get her to break up with him and break his heart and that is what makes it soooooo wrong for me. Oh yeah the fact that some of it may be motivated by a certain sense of possessiveness towards JH is messed up as well. So two people besides SH know about this. It really needs somehow to get back to JH that his mom went behind his back and asked SH to break up with him which caused her a world of pain. JH may love his mom but there is no flipping way he would ever be cool with that. It would honestly serve her right if this spurred him to move out and escalate his relationship with SH to the next level. "You and me against the world" attitude. C'mon kids you can do it!

And I'm with JMJ that being too considerate of others can be a disease especially if means you suffer alone needlessly. That's such an Asian thing that is way overused in dramas.

PBG and SHK have both been incredible this whole series but SHK in particular killed it these last two episodes. I don't know of any other actress who is so emotionally compelling that can make me cry along with her and it's no fair that she still looks stunning while doing so.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

I have just finished Encounter ep.14 with subtitle, I think it is the least reasonable one among 14 episodes which I used to praise Writer Nim’s logic.

- KJH’s mom still objected, that is just one unfavorable factor in KJH&CSH’s love life.

Several sons’ moms in this world might object to their son’s choice of girlfriend.

Classic Love triangle in the world is Mom’s love and girl’s love to only one man, even with different kind of love but to the same man.

Such man,whom mom might think he will have loved mom the most since he was born, is starting to love another woman in his life so dearly.

This might shock moms’ heart when she firstly know and some moms might start to evaluate her son’s girlfriend with bias mind. 

It might be understandable that no girl is good enough for her dear and valuable son at the very beginning, too low&too high&too fancy&too lively&too flirt&too beautiful whatever moms could forejudge.

I was angry to the scene when CSH discussed with Secretary Jang with anger that CSH underestimated KJH about handling unpleasant situations.

Several incidents during ep.1-14 has not proved to CSH that KJH has guts to tackle things here and there, KJH is not weak but strong and tough enough with good sense of approach properly eg. Cuba, Sokcho relocation, recommendation to forgive once which made the board of directors problem solve.

If CSH trust KJH, KJH can handle his mom as he knows his mom well for 30 years. 

Why would this overrule any others’ favorable factors in CSH’s love life with the recent and current situation?

- KJH dearly loves CSH from the bottom of his heart, if CSH feel the same, she can love and stay with KJH to express her love and make KJH happy, being by KJH’s side.

KJH and his info have already been revealed to the public, dating or break up can not bring KJH&family’s lives back to normal as nothing happen. 

Break up now does not help to improve any things in KJH&his family’s life at all. 

When KJH’s mom requested for break up to bring back normal life, the smart woman as CEO CSH should know the fact that break up does not help improving the situation, CSH should be able to logically think much better than KJH’s mom who is just in small society and choose to live CSH’s love life with KJH.

(KJH’s mom was still shocked from CSH’s grand opening with bombarding info to a normal mom from KJH’s girlfriend eg. Headline news, Sokcho relocation, Couple rings, KJH’s deep love, KJH’s dad’s &KJH’s little brother’s warm welcome, Teacher Lee’s acquaintance, Neighbor’s request to indirectly not credit KJH’s ability in work, coming more in her bias mind)  

Why would break up idea be the choice that CSH is thinking to choose NOW? 

This decision might be unreasonably brought up here because we are watching ep. 14, just 2 more episodes to end  so the writer nim requires to create tense situation to hurt both KJH and CSH. 

If so, please make it be more reasonable with more guts to CSH.

Everything has been solved in favorable ways as I mentioned earlier in this forum:  

- CSH’s dad made his political career’s choice, not dependent to the chaebol anymore, which resulted in much less burden to CSH’s life. 

- Donghwa Hotel with Board of Directors has been solved about backfire from Director Choi by Mr.Nam’s helping hands. 

- CSH has already cleared with Ex-husband about what he did and told him no need more. 

- KJH’s work is doing well with PR team. 

- KJH’s dad expressed his welcome to CSH, CSH with her wise sense should be able to catch KJH’s dad’s positive response, KJH’s little brother also showed his support. 

- Last but not least, CSH should be the one who knows how much KJH loves CSH and how miserable KJH will be if CSH requests to break up now when KJH has moved from interest, attraction, fondness, affection, to the stage of deeply love., as same as CSH. 

Break up is the heartbreaking choice for both KJH and CSH, much more than let KJH face some obstacles from dating CSH, revealing KJH&his info to the public has been already occurred and can not solve from break up, too late to correct this issue now with this separation. 

In summary, I can not find the good reason to support the story in ep.14 with attempt to lead audiences watch CSH’s pressure to make her choice of break up, inspiration just from KJH’s mom to break up is too weak to convince audiences to count down 2 more episodes to end with climax situation.

I gave very low score to the writer nim for this ep. 14 and deduct some credit to the production house to let the script flows this way, it ruins the magic of splendid storyline and differentiated script that Encounter has done before with high appreciation.

If the writer nim choose this break up in coming episode, I think about permanent break up might be the good choice for the end of Encounter because I might have to presume that the writer nim has created CSH’s unreasonable personality to repeatedly request for break up from time to time eg. this time by KJH’s mom, next time from any other obstacles, in coming times from external factors...Live a life or being in relationship will not be smooth as silk and have only happy hours but faceing thick and thin situations together is a real life.

Let free up KJH and KJH’s character be in peaceful mind without anxiety

, let CSH be in her world which dare not to have a love life, and no need to hurt both of them more by permanent break up as audiences can not watch KJH&CSH’s lives after Encounter ep.16.

Otherwise, Writer Nim, if you did not intend to destroy what you create KJH and CSH to the Kdrama world, please please keep being on track with amazing storyline and script in Encounter ep.15-16 to draw CSH &KJH with a good choice in life reflecting the favorable situations from KJH&CSH’s wise actions and supporting family&friends for episodes. There might be coming obstacles as same as other human beings, KJH&CSH has walked too far to ruin the magic of the word “Encounter” and “Boyfriend” by silly decision.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

And her words underlines a certain delusion: she assumes that JH's love for her will never change too. Yet I doubt that once JH knows about his mother's action, he will still love her like before. This will change him... such a disappointment which will help him to put some boundaries towards his mother. To me, her words clearly show that she thinks, she will remain his biggest love. CSH as such is not the problem in the end... it is the other woman in general. So this oedipal complex hasn't been solved.  

You know I am reading your words and remembering SH seeing JH's happy face on the phone in an early episode talking to someone who SH thinks is probably a girlfriend. JH  later tells her no I'm not seeing anyone--it was my mom. Totally creeps me out now. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 9

28 minutes ago, sugarbunnee said:

What makes it worse for me is that she overheard JH telling his dad how much he liked her and couldn't imagine living without her and decided to just blatantly ignore his feelings. She knows that SH is a decent person and was preying on her love for her son to get her to break up with him and that is what makes it soooooo wrong for me.  Oh yeah the fact that some of it may be motivated by a certain sense of possessiveness towards JH is messed up as well.

This also makes the entire thing so cringe worthy for me. Yes, she is a mother who is concerned but...

She knows that her son loves SH and can’t live without her but still went to SH to ask her to break-up with him behind his back

His son told her straight to her face that she loved both SH and her equally but in a different way but still had to insist that HER love will never change and implied that SH might. How could she know? She barely knows SH. They were wearing couple rings for crying out loud. It is a serious relationship

I know a lot of you guys are upset with how JH’s mum is being dragged in this forum right now, and I don’t know if the writer is doing this deliberately but JH’s mum just struck me as

1. Possessive 

2. Jealous (that SH might steal JH away from her. God forbid she will be no longer the center of JH’s universe)

3. Someone with a hint of a Jocasta complex (given how she strongly favors JH over the other son and the other two factors I’ve listed above)

Rant over.

PS: A bit bummed that the rating dipped but at this point I just want a happy episode 15 and 16!

• Like 10
  • Sad 8

Earlier in the thread someone wrote that they were watching it mainly for the excellent execution of the story, and they were right.  Boyfriend is really well done, more unpredictable than most dramas that I watch, and both of these factors (plus the actors!) have combined to make me fall in love with the drama! So I agree with the many, many people that I can’t tag right now because I’m on mobile LOL, that a drama cute as this with a soundtrack as cute as this could never have a sad ending. 

Seriously, this is a bop.  It's taken over the number 1 spot from the Saltnpaper song as my favorite OST. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2