[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@bebebisous33, love all of your posts analyzing JWS and his hidden motives. From the way he operates, he’s a very cowardly man. Like you’ve observed repeatedly, his manner is directly opposite to JH who is upfront and straightforward. For me, JWS sitting hidden outside of CSH’s house a few times now is perfectly indicative of his dishonest relationship with CSH from the beginning up to now. I find everything about him cowardly including dealing with his mother, the hotel director and JH. In particular, the way he relies on his status and wealth to attempt to discourage and denigrate JH tells me more than enough about his true character. The way he used the incident at the Cuba hotel to establish himself at Donghwa hotel, knowing full well the true cause of the issue, further solidifies his hypocrisy for me. His motives show that he’s there to attempt to open the door that CSH has closed because she has refused to let him in and he’s also there undoubtedly to gain leverage over JH and the possibility to intimidate him as he has already done at least twice (in the hallway and in the garage) to JH. However, what I find most disturbing is that all of this he does in secret like a snake. At least his mother is direct with her nastiness which though not palatable, it at least let people know where they stand in her estimation.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@bebebisous33, love all of your posts analyzing JWS and his hidden motives. From the way he operates, he’s a very cowardly man. Like you’ve observed repeatedly, his manner is directly opposite to JH who is upfront and straightforward. For me, JWS sitting hidden outside of CSH’s house a few times now is perfectly indicative of his dishonest relationship with CSH from the beginning up to now. I find everything about him cowardly including dealing with his mother, the hotel director and JH. In particular, the way he relies on his status and wealth to attempt to discourage and denigrate JH tells me more than enough about his true character. The way he used the incident at the Cuba hotel to establish himself at Donghwa hotel, knowing full well the true cause of the issue, further solidifies his hypocrisy for me. His motives show that he’s there to attempt to open the door that CSH has closed because she has refused to let him in and he’s also there undoubtedly to gain leverage over JH and the possibility to intimidate him as he has already done at least twice (in the hallway and in the garage) to JH. However, what I find most disturbing is that all of this he does in secret like a snake. At least his mother is direct with her nastiness which though not palatable, it at least let people know where they stand in her estimation.

Thanks a lot for the compliment. I agree with you on this: his mother has never hidden her thoughts and feelings in front of CSH and others. JWS is as scary as his mother... a stalker in reality.

The thing is that now he can not fire KJH as he is the face of Donghwa Hotel due to his action. JWS uses his money in order to appear strong and "brave", while in reality, he is really weak... the fact that he described JH's action as foolishness tells us a lot about him. He really thinks that there is nothing more superior than money and status. I really want him to fall off his pedestal. He really believes that he loves CSH but he doesn't. He didn't read any book about love hence he doesn't know what it is hence he can not recognize his true feelings: obsession, possessiveness but not love.

It would be interesting if CSH confronts him about it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have been thinking about this:

- What if JWS proposes to CSH his shares willingly hoping that this bait might tempt her. However, CSH refuses like the painting as she doesn't want to be indebted to him.

- As reaction, JWS changes his tactics: he threatens her with this deal: she takes the shares and she can become the real owner of Donghwa Hotel, in return she needs to cut ties with JH. If she doesn't take the shares, then he will take away the hotel from her. 

JWS would rather take this offer to JH than CSH.. coz he wants CSH to come to him.. if there is no wind to sweep CSH then JWS believes that she would go to him.. but JH or no JH, CSH would never go back to WS.. this he will eventually realize and then he would back off..

But JH would be in a dilemma for CSHs sake if this happens coz the hotel means the world to her..acc to him.. this is where the letter under the tree may come if that story was to be foreshadowing

Edited by nikir
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Someone in this forum asked about JinSoo relationship timeline, how long have they been together. Well luckily our writer and PD-nim were aware about this..

How JH keep his memorable moments with Soo Hyun make us easy to trace

60vQnEm.jpg

What i'm curious is, which moment JinSoo became BF&GF?

- last date before JH moved to Sokcho

- NYE Kiss

- Getting back together after break

- JH love confession in Cuba

What do you think, chingus?

Anyway i found this when i tried to track back JinSoo's timeline

zNEaIWc.jpg

The crew were clearly behind them :D.. for what i've seen, PD-nim seems like perfectionist, the fact that this half second scene with crew in it must be frustated for him.. That's OK, PD nim, i just realized that after replay it for dozen times :D 

just give JinSoo happy ending, will you pleasee

• Like 11
  • LOL 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nikir said:

JWS would rather take this offer to JH than CSH.. coz he wants CSH to come to him.. if there is no wind to sweep CSH then JWS believes that she would go to him.. but JH or no JH, CSH would never go back to WS.. this he will eventually realize and then he would back off..

But JH would be in a dilemma for CSHs sake if this happens coz the hotel means the world to her..acc to him.. this is where the letter under the tree may come if that story was to be foreshadowing

But since she decided to join his family, JH is aware that he means more than the hotel. JWS could propose this to JH believing that he might tempt him but this is not even possible as JH said in the last episode that he can not live without her.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, mellinadear said:

LOL Jin Myung is that annoying little brother. Some of us have siblings like that that ruin moments.

And him trying to Tattle tale to his parents about his hyung singing to his GF and JH bribing him.

The funny faces he makes behind their father.

It gave me a good laugh & brought back memories of my brother & I. :)

Even about him almost telling that a girlfriend would be uncomfortable to visit her boyfriend's parents.. cute.. this is one drama where none of the secondary characters make me cringe or skip the scenes.. no over the top scenes anywhere.. even sec and LDC is cute.. but the brother scenes are really funny n realistic

• Like 21

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@nikir @gumtaek @Far^away @boredahjumma I doubt that JWS created that Co-CEO seat in order to help CSH so that he plans to give her all his shares from the start. IF so, why would he visit JH and warn him to stay away from his woman? Why would he say that CSH is not someone JH should date based on his social background and his age? Yes, he was nice and well-mannered, when he visited the PR-team but there were witnesses and he had to act as a good and nice Co-CEO, especially after JH has become the face of Donghwa hotel. He is arrogant and rude in front of JH alone because he doesn't want any witness. To me, in front of our hero, JWS shows his true color. Striking is that he used the incident with the Cuba Hotel to criticize CSH as she was not able to solve the crisis herself. I doubt that he has another scheme: giving her all his shares. If he had the intention, why hasn't it happened yet? What is he waiting for? Is it to prove that JH is not after CSH's money? But if this is his reason, why did he have to hurt her that way? Why did he ask to meet her often and ask her to eat for lunch? In this scene, we witness how he uses his position as Co-Ceo to interact with her, as from the episode 10 on, she had started disobeying his "invitations" (orders). He knew, he could no longer use his past relationship and his "love" in order to meet her. CSH had showed him that she didn't care for him at all: he waited for her for three hours... He was gracious enough (in his mind) to let her know that she could take her time but he, the prince charming per se,  had been stood up... 

He has the video evidence of his mother's involvement and he didn't use it to reveal what T. Group did. He used it for his own advantage. In his mind, the shares as Co-Ceo can make him look attractive. Don't forget that he uses his money to woo CSH all the time: the dress, the flowers, the expensive wine ... now the stakes are higher, as he knows that JH is even allowed to enter her house. JWS knows very well that even CSH's mother can not even enter that house. So far, only JMJ had that right. Here, he saw a man entering CSH's house and spending some time there. So more and more he sees that he is loosing his grip on CSH hence he uses her love for the hotel to tighten up the leash around CSH's neck.

@bebebisous33 I liked reading your take on JWS's actions regarding making himself a Co-CEO.  

JWS never cheated on CSH, even after their divorce, because he's in love with her. In his own way he has tried to help her. The reason I think he wanted to be Co-CEO was for a few reasons:

1. He could see how JH was making a name for himself within the company, but more than that, JH made himself someone that CSH could depend on. CSH has already told JWS that she couldn't depend on him while married, he wasn't a "man" she could depend on. He could see his mother mistreating her, but instead of stepping in to protect her, he would buy CSH  gifts to try and compensate for his mother's actions.  

In his mind, CSH and JH's relationship can only become stronger because they are working closely together. By making himself co-CEO, he now can come into constant contact with CSH.  In a way, I think that JWS is trying to mimic JH, hoping that CSH will see him as a protector as he help her address issues with the hotel. 

Summary: JWS wants to be close to CSH in order to show her that he can help her.

2. The second reason I think he made himself Co-CEO is so that he could gain those stocks and eventually give them to CSH to secure her spot as sole CEO. He may be thinking to use it as leverage for her to come back to him. My secret desire, because my heart does go out to this man in love with his ex-wife, is that he will give these shares to her in the end. Earning the ire of his mother, but also giving him wings to independence.

Summary: JWS final act of support to CSH will be to give her the shares to the hotel. 

Last thought, I think we've been seeing the real JWS this entire drama. I can understand  his rudeness towards JH because he's jealous of him--JH is stealing his "woman".  In JWS' mind it's always been him and CSH, they are alike, they belong together. JWS still hasn't realized that he lost his opportunity. He lost being a "man" to CSH.  

There is a "kindness" to JWS because in a lot of ways he and CSH were "alike".....in a suffering sense. I don't recall seeing him being abusive to others.  JWS is trying to find his independence from his mother, whereas CSH has found hers.  When this drama first started, CSH went to her ex-mother in law's birthday (i think) party because her mother told her to, despite the fact she didn't want to. NOW, her mother pleaded with her to go to the memorial--CSH stood her ground. 

At this point, the writer hasn't made JWS the evil, revengeful ex-husband at this point. Yes, he's irritating and trying to get between CSH and JH, but at the same time he's been really low key as drama evil exs goes. He hasn't tried to harm JH's family (at this point) by trying to destroy JH's family business in order to show him I'm more powerful; however, I can see that coming if he becomes evil.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

Someone in this forum asked about JinSoo relationship timeline, how long have they been together. Well luckily our writer and PD-nim were aware about this

I wanted to check the timeline for the rings.. thanks for posting this

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

But since she decided to join his family, JH is aware that he means more than the hotel. JWS could propose this to JH believing that he might tempt him but this is not even possible as JH said in the last episode that he can not live without her.

I really hope JH has realized/ realizes that.. only 4 more episodes.. can't wait but don't want it to end either

• Like 16

10 hours ago, gumtaek said:

If you have the acumen and access to Korean SNS and sites, searches about the drama would help even on non- airing days to increase buzz for Boyfriend.

If anyone can suggest on how to go about it, it would be much appreciated!

I camp both in Naver and Soompi.:D

Thanks for the exciting prediction @rosiepeonie188!

Thank you gumtaek.

I believe you posted links on some searches for Naver for encounter, pbg, shk before? Can you post it again please.

I was trying to compose replies for the discussion but I stumbled on your post and think it takes precedence. :D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nikir said:

Even about him almost telling that a girlfriend would be uncomfortable to visit her boyfriend's parents.. cute.. this is one drama where none of the secondary characters make me cringe or skip the scenes.. no over the top scenes anywhere.. even sec and LDC is cute.. but the brother scenes are really funny n realistic

Talking about Jin Myung, he really is a mood maker. His personality is a good balance of Jin Hyuk and I think he will play a large role shortening the gap between their family and SH. 

Spoiler

PO has improved a lot, considering his last outing in Fluttering Warning. His scene with HI is heartwarming. He talked abour her crushing on JH all this while but what about him himself? I find it so bittersweet and he captured the feeling well. Job well done PO! And considering he’s a rapper, his singing voice is not that bad :)

• Like 19
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1