[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

So.. If you put something in a spoiler, it's like saying not to eat that sweet, dripping chocolate ice cream :joy:

You can't resist it. You must open it.... and then trap!

Spoiler

I think it's a couple ring.

Who wants to place a bet? :P

• LOL 23

@ahdrianaa 

Spoiler

It’s fine! I was scrolling ever so carefully when I opened your tag and recognized both pictures

Hmm it can also be purity rings LOL

I don’t know how to feel about them getting married so soon but promise rings are my best bet

Damn, he looked 100x sexier with that ring on his finger IDK why

@dukesa1122 I think couple/promise ring too. But what are the strict definition of those? 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

22 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I realized something while watching the episode 6. The writer likes to use parallelisms.

I think you or somebody posted about this before. Thank you for posting these scenes however, these are one of the best scenes in this drama. Thinking about it just makes my heart flutter and I can feel butterflies in my tummy.  The holding hands scene, KJH's face while CSH was tying his neck tie (not to mention CSH was so beautiful in that scene). aaahhhhh! :heart:

@stardustvoid

Spoiler
5 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

@dukesa1122 I think couple/promise ring too. But what are the strict definition of those? Hmm 

Dont know. Just a promise/couple ring. You know. 

So that everyone will know you're not available to anyone else anymore.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

I have a question, it may also be MAJOR POSSIBLE SPOILER, so please don’t read this if you hate spoilers.

I love spoilers.  :)  And I really like this one!  I hope that your guess is right.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

@ahdrianaa 

Reveal hidden contents

It’s fine! I was scrolling ever so carefully when I opened your tag and recognized both pictures

Hmm it can also be purity rings LOL

I don’t know how to feel about them getting married so soon but promise rings are my best bet

Damn, he looked 100x sexier with that ring on his finger IDK why

@dukesa1122 I think couple/promise ring too. But what are the strict definition of those? Hmm 

Spoiler

I think we skipped Puresville last episode and are soon approaching Boomboom Town :sweatingbullets:

So I am not putting any money on purity rings.

I am really reaching here but maybe they  need that marriage topic to show their next big obstacle, the combined disappointment/worry of all the people in their lives minus Driver Nam. I mean everyone except his parents already know that they’re dating.

I am going to stop hypothesizing now, this is my last post. I feel guilty .... lol

Edit - he does look sexier. I guess we love a man who can commit. 

@thistle a girl can hope! :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 12

@dukesa1122 

Spoiler

Got it thanks! I remember those used to be a thing in my younger days but probably are not so popular nowadays

JH is so old fashioned I love it

Also, if our guess is right, this parallels the scene where WS returns CSH’s wedding ring.

@ahdrianaa

Spoiler

You maybe onto something but a shotgun wedding in the last 6 episodes feels a little contrived to me :sweatingbullets:

I kinda of get a feeling that since they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, thanks to those 2 magical Havana nights, then maybe JH just wants to make it known to everyone they are exclusively dating? 

• Like 20

@stardustvoid

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I kinda of get a feeling that since they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, thanks to those 2 magical Havana nights, then maybe JH just wants to make it known to everyone they are exclusively dating? 

20 minutes ago, ahdrianaa said:

I think we skipped Puresville last episode and are soon approaching Boomboom Town :sweatingbullets:

Good guess. 

Since they have skipped Puresville and might've even approached Boomboom Town already. :lol:

He's marking her HIS! 

That's super sexy. :love:

• Like 9
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, ahdrianaa said:

I have a question, it may also be MAJOR POSSIBLE SPOILER, so please don’t read this if you hate spoilers.

Hide contents

Is this legit? I saw it on r______achel620’s page. I don’t remember seeing that screen grab of PBG. Does anyone remember where it’s from?.

Does this mean they’re engaged in the next episode!?

OMG you made my day! :) shucks!!!! Yes it’s a promise ring that signifies this promise: “ill love and cherish you, for as long as we both shall live” *CSH teary eyed* *kissssssssssssmmmmwwwaaaahhhh*

• Like 14
  • LOL 6

28 minutes ago, utkim said:

The report said that in this scene JH and SH will confirm their strong heart to each other .

:wub:

Hide contents

i think we can see his ring here lol

Wow they are so beautiful, it’s encounter day today so excited :blush:, I love them... love this kdrama so much...

• Like 13

10 episodes in and I cant believe I’m just asking this now.

Can anyone, please. Provide steps or screenies on what to click so we can register in Naver and start upping/liking those articles?

I caanot for the life of me figure out what to click. It will ask me to sign in so I can like the articles.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

10 episodes in and I cant believe I’m just asking this now.

Can anyone, please. Provide steps or screenies on what to click so we can register in Naver and start upping/liking those articles?

I caanot for the life of me figure out what to click. It will ask me to sign in so I can like the articles.

The sign up form should be in English, watch this tutorial if you’re facing problems.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, redbeanbuns said:

u know whenever I've seen a drama or movie,I always tried to take good lessons from it..n Boyfriend it's one of them...from JH n SH,

• I learn become positive in any possible way although its hard,
  • always grateful for every single thing that u already have,
  • take action not only talk,
  • stay firm in the face of evil peopleB) 
  • strong,calm

..how far this drama will affect people like me :sweatingbullets:

I loved your post so much that I had to edit it (hope you don't mind) because every one of those points deserve to be emphasized.

I also like to take good lessons from what I watch.  For years, I have kept a notebook where I write down the names of the shows that I watch.  I also write quotes from the show and sometimes the lessons I've learned.  In my note for Encounter, I will write your very good list, and I thank you for posting it.  :)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Oh my, so many posts this morning, i can't catch up..

Saw Jh wearing a ring also, in their filming welcoming the new year. Its in a video, i have to rerun it several times to be sure , though still have doubt if its really a ring.

• Like 8

Spoiler
1 hour ago, sugarbunnee said:

Hello fellow Encounter/Boyfriend lovers! 

I've been a silent reader of this forum for awhile. I've really enjoyed all the astute observations, analyses, translations and news everyone has been sharing. I want to thank you all for the awesome contributions and chime in with a few thoughts of my own.

The Drama

I've been captivated by this exquisite gem of a a drama right from the start. I will start by saying that I don't actually watch that much TV or K-dramas these days because I have very high standards. Encounter has not only met but exceeded those standards by leaps and bounds. This show is a visceral as well as a cerebral feast. I love everything about it from the richly layered storytelling, the stunning photography, the talented cast as well as every meaningful detail. People have dragged it for being slow but for me the pacing is obviously very deliberate and it's perfect. While one can just watch this drama and enjoy it for what it is but it is when you dig a little deeper to the complexities that you really begin to appreciate that it goes beyond an enjoyable drama and is actually a beautifully story with a deep meaning and message. The story is wonderfully nuanced and it's a fresh take in how it employs familiar tropes and subverts them in unexpected ways. While it is a love letter to the power of love, it also speaks to the stigma against divorced women in Asian society as a commentary against that that outdated prejudice. I love that the male lead isn't a traditional alpha male type. Kim Jin Hyuk doesn't suffer from a fragile sense of masculinity or feel inferior to Cha Soo Hyun despite their social differences. Instead he admires and applauds her strength and her success. Similarly Cha Soo Hyun sees Jin Hyuk for the person he is and knows that he has no ulterior motives. Of course he quite literally saved her life on their first meeting in Cuba. Their relationship is balanced and based on a foundation of mutual attraction, respect, consideration, understanding and friendship. This is the type of relationship that is built to last in both the drama world and the real world. There are enough dysfunctional relationships (for the sake of drama) depicted on television. For the people who find this boring, it's not boring at all, this is what a healthy and loving, adult relationship looks like. Thank you production/writing team for showing that instead of creating contrived unnecessary drama. There is so much ugliness in the world right now and this show is the perfect escape.I look forward to it every week. On the surface it may not be very realistic but I find that the core values and how people behave are quite grounded in reality. 

Song Hye Kyo & Park Bo Gum

All the credit in the world needs to go to these two actors for fully immersing themselves in their roles. SHK and PBG are both known for being choosy with their projects and they also like to challenge themselves when it comes to acting. When I watch Encounter I'm seeing Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk, not SHK and PBG. It kills me that instead of being praised for their professionalism and emotionally resonant performances, people keep bringing up their real life relationship and her husband Song Joong Ki which have nothing to do with this. For anyone that has a problem, it says more about them than two professionals who are doing their jobs. For SJK to tell PBG to perform without burdens, he had to know what the role involved and I'm sure he talked with SHK about it as well. If anyone felt uncomfortable, I'm sure SHK and PBG wouldn't have accepted the roles. If I were SJK I'd certainly be more comfortable with someone like PBG acting opposite my wife than some random actor I don't know. PBG is such a precious cinnamon roll who is so earnestly considerate and respectful. And give SJK some credit and self confidence as well as trust in his wife to know the difference between acting and real life. I'm a big SHK fan and it's like she can't catch a break. No matter what she does she just gets undeserved hate. She can probably save a country and people will still find something to pick on. Leave her alone already! Jun Ji Hyun kissed Kim Soo Hyun and Lee In Ho in dramas after she got married and I don't recall any of them getting any hate.

The Acting/Chemistry

The entire cast is solid and so well cast but I can't imagine anyone else as Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk. Hye Kyo and Bo Gum have brought them to life in such stunning fashion. TBH I wasn't sure sure about the pairing (not because of the age difference but the chemistry. Their chemistry was palpable from their first "encounter" (sorry couldn't resist) and I was immediately sold. It really bothers me that it's okay for older actors to be paired with younger actresses but there is always intense scrutiny when it's the other way around. SHK is radiantly beautiful and seemingly ageless. There is no way she looks like PBG's mother or aunt and anyone who thinks so needs to get their eyes checked. I've been wondering if she's actually a vampire because of how she is so eternally stunning and youthful LOL. I'm glad the PD mentioned early on that the age gap is not a factor of this story and it shouldn't be because true love knows no age.

I know that there have been some articles that seem to imply that PBG is carrying the show but that's not true. There is a balance and equality in the weight and performances of both leading characters. I don't know if it's because of her gorgeous looks but SHK never gets enough credit for her acting skills. I've been watching her for many years and the beauty in her acting is the subtlety and depth. Anyone who thinks she's bland or giving the same performance over and over is not a real fan and should just go back to watching crappy idol acting with over the top reactions with no real emotional connection. She acts with her eyes, facial expressions and body language and even though I haven't watched PBG as much I think it is the same with him. SHK is also the type of actor that doesn't necessarily need to shine in a scene. She is willing to step back and let her partner do that if that's what a moment calls for and I think anyone who watches her carefully can see that. Joong Ki said something about that when they were filing Descendants of the Sun and Jo In Sung was effusive in his praise for her when they filmed That Winter The Wind Blows.  He was blown away by her beauty as well as her amazing acting skills saying "If I do not want to be embarrassed, I better work harder. There was once whereby I heard the director was full of praise of Hye Kyo's acting while monitoring her performance and I found myself doing the same while watching her performance too. Hye Kyo will be even more outstanding in the future but now that I get to work with her, I feel honoured and happy. That's why I feel happy every time I came to the filming set, I can be more focused when I act with Hye Kyo. Many praise my acting but for me but it's because Hye Kyo's superb acting skills." Bo Gum is indeed shining in this role but he is not acting in a vacuum. I really believe that he's reaching the next level in his acting and it's thanks in no small part to Hey Kyo letting him shine. I mean he had a partner in those sizzling kiss scenes in episode 10 that elevated him as the "nation's boyfriend"  I'm willing to bet that most people who claim that they don't see any chemistry are probably diehard PBG stans or those have an issue with older woman/ younger man romances. I know it's a subjective thing but their chemistry is scorchingly visceral in my eyes. Not to mention how good they look together. Like what age gap? If SHK weren't married and close in age to PBG IRL, people would probably be madly shipping the two of them right now. I know I would! Ah the visuals! They look so good together! PBG stans should actually be happy he's acting with a a married woman so they don't have to worry about him falling in love with her.

The Skinship/Kisses

I'm so glad Encounter is on a cable network that doesn't hold back on showing kisses and skinship. These are all natural elements of a romantic relationship. It has all been well paced and appropriate throughout the progression of CSH and KJH's relationship and all so heart flutteringly romantic. This show is a true ode to the lost art of romance! The first kiss in episode 8 was so sweet and perfect and the kisses in episode 10 were so ardently loaded with love, longing, desire and passion. It's incredible that they shot the latter in the first month of production and were able to convey that advanced stage of the relationship so convincingly. And Bo Gum finally gets to kiss someone who is as pretty as he is (sorry Hyeri is no visual and Kim Yoo Jung was too young) I'm usually slightly grossed out by on screen kissing but with these two it's like MORE PLEASE.

The Haters

I never get people who feel the need to dump on what they don't like instead of showing support what they do like. Don't you have better things to do with your time? I mean when I don't like something, I don't acknowledge it and I certainly wouldn't give it any precious attention or time and go about leaving negative opinions all over the place. If you don't like it, don't watch it! I guess the fact that there are haters is a testament to the success of this drama and they're just crying for attention. The best thing to do is just ignore the haters and let them wither away. The fact that they can't appreciate this beautiful work of art speaks more to their ignorance and we shouldn't let it diminish our love. 

I've written a small essay. These are some thoughts that have been streaming in my head that I just had to get off my chest. My love for this drama knows no bounds. Encounter has taken me on a beautiful journey that I'm seriously enjoying and will miss greatly once it ends. Thank you for the heart fluttering romance as well as visually and narratively compelling story. Please give it the happy ending it deserves! I just fear this high quality will probably ruin K-dramas for me in the future but I guess I can just rewatch it and find something new to love. Not so patiently waiting for episode 11...

P.S. Why can't we have Jin Hyuk with Sokcho hair all the time? 

Gosh @sugarbunnee! I am so in love with what you posted I was clinging on word by word ❤️ Thank you for coming out and posting. I’d wage you that someone will make a screenshot out of your post and post it in ig. I cant help but be a lil emotional about what you said. Thank you, thank you, thank you chingu! 

@ahdrianaa

lol thank you for that vid. Sometimes I cant believe how dumb I am hahahaha

Edited by dukesa1122
Let’s make it happen in ig!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1