[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

3 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

@gumtaek

here is the ig post:

Reveal hidden contents

Your name is part of the credits in caption. Thank you chingu ❤️

@bebebisous33

i like the fact that JMJ sort of “reported” to CSH where KJH is. And that she told CSH that her mother visited KJH in Sokcho. That’s a start for me. Sometimes what I think JMJ needs is boyfriend to loosen up. *hoping for Dae Chan*

They fit each other. 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@dukesa1122 I totally get what you mean :) 

I believe that CSH and KJH’s “encounter” in Cuba is the driving force of their relationship.  They met without prejudices which made them believe in each other’s sincerity.  Even if KJH was hired at Donghwa and had the one on one interview with CEO, without the “encounter” there still wouldn’t be a chance for him to become her “boyfriend”.  

1 hour ago, Josh Marquez said:

Is it just me or anyone else notices that the man at the cafe who puts JH memo upfront was the same old man from the hotel in cuba (the one who got the taxi for SH at ep 1)? The cafe was clearly not part of the hotel. Or they recycled the extra? :joy:

I think everybody has noticed that already lol. I believe PDnim meant it that way.  For him to be like the Cupid or as @bebebisous33 mentioned, he’s a guardian angel. It’s very possible though for the same character to be in those restaurants heheh.  But part of it is also they have to recycle extras hehe just like the security guard who caught them kissing is the same actor who was in the ferry and was asked by CSH which way to Moro Cabana and he said “up arri arri”.  :D 

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

Lol @charlieblue17 I know what you mean. The comments were all good and then some party poppers showed up just be be Deby downers.

However, I loved this particular comment by "Charlie" (I'm assuming it's you :)).

Spoiler

I have a different understanding of their personalities, JH's in particular, and that is the reason why for me this works. To be fair, this may be saying more about me than the actual show.

First, JH was always a bit of a loner, someone who hides behind the camera or in a book observing life rather than living it. Not unfriendly, but he needs personal space. He is mature for his age (in some respects) and that is possibly to do with how his parents were working a lot and he had to be sensible and responsible from early on. Still, he is particularly emotionally intelligent and open to the world.

Second, they met in Cuba. Being on a holiday in a magical place where no one knows you gives one the license to be someone else for a bit. To let out the carefree, fun-loving version of you. This might look different for an introvert vs an extrovert but it's pretty universal. It was supposed to be an one-off thing so they could just enjoy the moment, discarding who they are and what it all means in the real world. And it was magical. They genuinely liked each other. And that is the foundation for everything else.

The ice queen who never smiles caught a glimpse of JH dancing with the little girl and smiled. She liked him before they had spoken a single world, that's why he trusted him when they actually met later that evening.

JH saw her walking by and she caught his eye - because she looked beautiful, somewhat familiar although he could not place her, but also really lonely. It was enough to notice her again on the wall (he was there first, shown in the foreground as she sits down).

When they landed back in reality it took them quite some time to negotiate their new positions (boss-employee) but they had the memory of Cuba as a reminder of the prize and that it was worth it.

It was her who took the initiative then, with the ramyeon date, teasing him. Had to be her call, because of who she is. And I kind of love her for it even when there were moments it felt awkward and slightly inappropriate. [The way I see it, she was ready for change and him coming along was the excuse she needed to set it into action.]
Once that message was clear, he turned into the pursuer. He is my-way-JH and once he set his mind to something he will follow through no matter what. This was needed because, although it was clear that she was attracted to him, she had all the baggage of the past and decades of passiveness to battle through.

By the end of ep.10 they are finally in the place where they want to be, dropping the last barriers between them. Cherry on the cake that it's back in Cuba too.

But ultimately, two introverts ended up together makes sense, precisely because of the details of who they are as people.

About JH's fake smiles: half the time his smiles are just for show on purpose. It's one the character's main traits - hiding his real feelings behind a small, smiling harder when he is unhappy. I think PBG brings a lot of nuance to JH."

I started watching this show because I adored (and strongly identified with) SH. JH was there just to make her happy and as long as she liked him he was ok. But as we went on, I started to identify with JH too - the hard working parents who love for their kids, the love of books and slight detachment from the world, the stubbornness of doing your own thing despite the social expectations. I now love both characters a lot. It's ultimately because they are smart, genuinely good people that feel real to me; they are a better version of myself I could aspire to.

Thank you for defending the characters.

In life we have,

• Negatives & Positives

• Ying & Yang

• Advantages & Disadvantages

• Right & Wrong

• Yes & No

• Right & Left

There are always 2 sides to everything. With that we try to find a common ground between the 2 sides.

We may like The drama, some, not so much while others might be in the middle.

That's just how life is.

So, Negative comments or differing opinions about the characters or drama itself shouldn't bother us.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

On 1/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, mellinadear said:

However, I loved this particular comment by "Charlie" (I'm assuming it's you :)).

Reveal hidden contents

I have a different understanding of their personalities, JH's in particular, and that is the reason why for me this works. To be fair, this may be saying more about me than the actual show.

First, JH was always a bit of a loner, someone who hides behind the camera or in a book observing life rather than living it. Not unfriendly, but he needs personal space. He is mature for his age (in some respects) and that is possibly to do with how his parents were working a lot and he had to be sensible and responsible from early on. Still, he is particularly emotionally intelligent and open to the world.

Second, they met in Cuba. Being on a holiday in a magical place where no one knows you gives one the license to be someone else for a bit. To let out the carefree, fun-loving version of you. This might look different for an introvert vs an extrovert but it's pretty universal. It was supposed to be an one-off thing so they could just enjoy the moment, discarding who they are and what it all means in the real world. And it was magical. They genuinely liked each other. And that is the foundation for everything else.

The ice queen who never smiles caught a glimpse of JH dancing with the little girl and smiled. She liked him before they had spoken a single world, that's why he trusted him when they actually met later that evening.

JH saw her walking by and she caught his eye - because she looked beautiful, somewhat familiar although he could not place her, but also really lonely. It was enough to notice her again on the wall (he was there first, shown in the foreground as she sits down).

When they landed back in reality it took them quite some time to negotiate their new positions (boss-employee) but they had the memory of Cuba as a reminder of the prize and that it was worth it.

It was her who took the initiative then, with the ramyeon date, teasing him. Had to be her call, because of who she is. And I kind of love her for it even when there were moments it felt awkward and slightly inappropriate. [The way I see it, she was ready for change and him coming along was the excuse she needed to set it into action.]
Once that message was clear, he turned into the pursuer. He is my-way-JH and once he set his mind to something he will follow through no matter what. This was needed because, although it was clear that she was attracted to him, she had all the baggage of the past and decades of passiveness to battle through.

By the end of ep.10 they are finally in the place where they want to be, dropping the last barriers between them. Cherry on the cake that it's back in Cuba too.

But ultimately, two introverts ending up together makes sense, precisely because of the details of who they are as people.

About JH's fake smiles: half the time his smiles are just for show on purpose. It's one the character's main traits - hiding his real feelings behind a smile, smiling harder when he is unhappy. I think PBG brings a lot of nuance to JH.

I started watching this show because I adored (and strongly identified with) SH. JH was there just to make her happy and as long as she liked him he was ok. But as we went on, I started to identify with JH too - the hard working parents who live for their kids, the love of books and slight detachment from the world, the stubbornness of doing your own thing despite the social expectations. I now love both characters a lot. It's ultimately because they are smart, genuinely good people that feel real to me; they are a better version of myself I could aspire to.

Thank you for defending the characters.

There are always 2 sides to everything. With that we try to find a common ground between the 2 sides.

We may like The drama, some, not so much while others might be in the middle.

That's just how life is.

So, Negative comments or differing opinions about the characters or drama itself shouldn't bother us.

Yes, I'm that Charlie.  Thanks for reading and sharing.

I don't mind people with different opinions. In fact, I put a lot of effort trying to explain my point of view and to link back to what they are saying. But it can get extremely frustrating when other parties do not extend the same minimal courtesy. Saying that PBG can't act while extensively discussing his past dramas does not help the original point. Nor does saying I wish this was the story of a poor older woman falling in love with a boy instead (I think that is called Pretty noona...). Or that My Ajusshi is a masterpiece and nothing else compares. I go to forums because I want to have a meaningful conversation about the drama I am currently watching (and loving). If that's not there, then there is no point. 

</rant>

I'll stop here, lest I become one of those people who use forums to vent because therapy is too expensive.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, you are not the only one. Furthermore, he is also the one who mentioned the place Morro Cabana. He even added that was the perfect place to fall in love. So he is their guardian angel.

And he is also the same man who asked KJH to move to a different table because he was used to always sitting on the table kjh was currently at. Hence, the car accident with CSH driver who drove right into KJH. Haha he is becoming the Cuban version of Mr. Nam.

3 hours ago, msbae81 said:

just like the security guard who caught them kissing is the same actor who was in the ferry and was asked by CSH which way to Moro Cabana and he said “up arri arri”.  :D 

Excellent observation. I have not realized that! :joy:

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

@charlieblue17 thank you for your point about JinHyuk’s smile.  Everything you wrote was spot on!

Something I have been thinking about: Why didn’t JinHyuk straight up tell SooHyun he was going to Cuba to speak to the landowner?  Why did he just send that more cryptic than usual text message?  Because, just like when he agreed to the Sokcho exile, he knew that if he told her beforehand, she would have prevented him from going at all costs.  And she would have been within her rights as his boss.  It was her company in danger, it was her responsibility to make contacts and negotiate.  

But JinHyuk had a goal— returning to Seoul’s so he could protect SooHyun.  So he didn’t tell her.  He stepped over the line between the personal and professional and sought out Samuel himself.  From the real world POV, JinHyuk absolutely should not have done this thing.  From the fairytale POV, JinHyuk has finally put on his suit of shining armor and saved the damsel.

He’s no longer ordinary, instead he “deserves” to be at her side.  Even if no one outside Donghwa knows of his contribution, the people who matter will know.  SooHyun’s parents, TaeKyung Group, the Donghwa board of directors.  He is more than a fresh faced ingénu; he’s a man with something to bring to the table.  

All of this to say— JinHyuk must get another job.  Or he must learn to know his place and keep to it and not just take off his Donghwa hotel employee identity and turn into SooHyun’s boyfriend whenever she faces a hardship at work.  

Since we’ve pretty much nailed down that JinSoo intend to stay together now, I’m predicting that the last few episodes will have SooHyun and JinHyuk engaging in the power struggle with TaeKyung.  And as part of that struggle, JinHyuk’s job will be collateral damage.  The reason being is that he has shown himself to be an asset to SooHyun, in her professional life,  and not just a pretty boy that she’s dating.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@yonaomi123 But there is one reason why he left for Cuba. He had met the owner and knew where the place was. Moreover, he knew what the garden meant for him.... no one in South Korea knew the meaning behind the garden. Once arrived there, he tried the normal way first but it didn't work, just like for CSH. He had one more card than CSH. And the owner did recognize him that's what JH had been hoping too.

• Like 18

5 hours ago, waaw said:

I really love the subversive but poetic aspect of this show. Maybe because i've always been a rebel (but romantic !) who loves Art....although i don't know anything about it Lol...but i'm sure it is about "feeling". 

I'm not really surprised by SHK accepting this project as she has some of that in her :wub: but i'm really surprised by PBG because from what i understood he has a very traditional education, that's why he gained all my admiration here. :wub: (and by saying that i'm also aware of the prejudice of mine).

But i admire both of them, they have all my support. 

Sincerity and true love are important in the story, and maybe this drama is an opportunity to show her the fans who sincerely love her, sincere supporters. Maybe with this project she wanted to defend her freedom and art because that's very restrictive/limiting to be seen mainly as " the wife of "  (and him as "the best friend of " ) and not as free individual human beings....I feel lucky that all i see is CSH and KJH when i watch otherwise i would miss all the beauty of the drama. 

That's interesting (for me), cause Freedom is another important aspect of the story...her character is Cha Soo Hyun... a sad puppet but who's courageous enough to free herself. 

PBG and SHK are courageous by playing in this show as much as their characters are in the story..

That's why i said that i feel the values  (and some lines) of this drama go beyond the frame... i wish i was more fluent in english cause i can't find proper words to explain this feeling. But the more i feel it and the more i understand why they both have accepted this !  Maybe i'm weird to feel that :blink: .... :ph34r::D

I LOVE THIS "SHOW" !

I LOVE JINSOO :love:

All of the above x10000%!!.  When I was rewatching during the hiatus, I kept thinking to myself “Song HyeKyo and BoGum really had something they wanted to say to people.”  

There’s so many paralells between the constrained and lonely life of SooHyun and that of a Hallyu star.  I can’t even count on both of my hands the number of times that I’ve heard a Hallyu or TW or C drama star mention during an interview that they wished they could walk down a street holding their loved one’s hand and not be stared at or crowded around.  But the price of fame (especially at the level both of leads have attained) is not just attention when you’re going around living your life.  Every good and bad bit of your life is dissected and discussed and people profess to dislike you or even hate you, when they’ve never spoken a word to you in their life.  

That line SooHyun spoke to JinHyuk about “the words spoken are so sharp, the wound may never heal” that felt real.  And really it applies to a whole lot more than just trials of living in the public eye.  The whole drama seems to be about urging all of us watching to strive to live in a more romantic world.  Where our ex’s make efforts to not be toxic (well he’s toxic but less than in a lot of other dramas), where our friends do want the best for us (and they may screw it up but at least they try and they care), where we can make mistakes and forgive one another.  I don’t know, perhaps I’m being overly sappy?  But that’s what I see.  A drama telling us to find beauty in the world and to be gentle with ourselves and others.  

——

@bebebisous33 you’re quite right!  JinHyuk did have another card in his deck and he played it and won.  Personally I’m glad he did.  I’m just saying that he should have communicated the fact that he had a wildcard in his hand to SooHyun.  He should have let her make the decision because she’s the CEO.  Instead, he took unilateral action, which was wrong from a relationship partner POV and a boss-employee POV.  And if he can’t keep the lines straight, then he might need to find another job.  This is just my opinion though and I’m open to other ways of looking at it. :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

@bebebisous33 you’re quite right!  JinHyuk did have another card in his deck and he played it and won.  Personally I’m glad he did.  I’m just saying that he should have communicated the fact that he had a wildcard in his hand to SooHyun.  He should have let her make the decision because she’s the CEO.  Instead, he took unilateral action, which was wrong from a relationship partner POV and a boss-employee POV.  And if he can’t keep the lines straight, then he might need to find another job.  This is just my opinion though and I’m open to other ways of looking at it. :)

But if he had told her, then she would have said:

- I'll handle it myself

- or come with me in order to meet the owner.

CSH wouldn't have been able to meet the man. In the second case, CSH would have been criticized, she had taken her boyfriend in order to enjoy her time in Cuba. JH needed to be alone so that JH and CSH could never be criticized. Traveling together would have given them ammunition. Like it was mentioned above, if JH had told her about his intention, as CEO she would have stopped him. 

• Like 17

53 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

There’s so many paralells between the constrained and lonely life of SooHyun and that of a Hallyu star.  I can’t even count on both of my hands the number of times that I’ve heard a Hallyu or TW or C drama star mention during an interview that they wished they could walk down a street holding their loved one’s hand and not be stared at or crowded around.  But the price of fame (especially at the level both of leads have attained) is not just attention when you’re going around living your life.  Every good and bad bit of your life is dissected and discussed and people profess to dislike you or even hate you, when they’ve never spoken a word to you in their life.  

You are quite right. When I heard both leads accepting the role, I worry that they are taking so much risks. This drama just touches a sensitive topic in our society hence the noise. Moreover, I have never ran into a kdrama who focuses so much on art and poems or even songs. :heart:

—————————————

I have a few observations and questions:

1) The New Year card that CSH distributed? Did she handwrite all of them or was it photocopied and then sent out to all the employees? Or did she just hand write the one for KJH? Because if she wrote evey single card, well, I guess it will take her mind off KJH because they were at a stand still then. 

2) I just want to add that i like the fact that almost everytime when KJH and CSH are out on a date, KJH always pays for it. It is a subtle thing but it explains alot about he can spend for his woman and not the other way around just because he has CEO  for a girlfriend.

3) In the last episode when KJH was in the garden. He was alone. No one was there. Then who turned on all the lights? :joy:

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

3) In the last episode when KJH was in the garden. He was alone. No one was there. Then who turned on all the lights?

Usually those things are on an automatic timer.  They may be set either to come on at a certain hour or they may have a sensor that sets the lights to come on when a certain level of darkness is reached.  The latter is how street lights work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leedonghaek said:

An appreciation post for eyelashes..-_-

Compliment the noses next please :wub:

2 minutes ago, thistle said:

Usually those things are on an automatic timer.  They may be set either to come on at a certain hour or they may have a sensor that sets the lights to come on when a certain level of darkness is reached.  The latter is how street lights work.

I thought of that but seeing as an old school setting, i doubted that the lights were hight tech. Haha 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I thought of that but seeing as an old school setting, i doubted that the lights were hight tech. Haha

Timers actually are old school.  They've been around for decades (like think 1950's or 60's).

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

But if he had told her, then she would have said:

- I'll handle it myself

- or come with me in order to meet the owner.

CSH wouldn't have been able to meet the man. In the second case, CSH would have been criticized, she had taken her boyfriend in order to enjoy her time in Cuba. JH needed to be alone so that JH and CSH could never be criticized. Traveling together would have given them ammunition. Like it was mentioned above, if JH had told her about his intention, as CEO she would have stopped him. 

I like what you say about CSH then being criticized for going on "vacation" with her boyfriend.  I can completely see that happening logically. 

So, I completely acknowledge all your points and don't think I'm doing too much of a flip-flop here when I say that I think the heart of my issue is that I want to see JinHyuk and SooHyun talking more about their problems.  They're making improvements on talking about their relationship issues, but now they need to start talking about their professional entanglement.  They need to do more than say "it doesn't bother me."  It's great that they don't have weird feelings about it!  But in this instance, JinHyuk had the ability to make a professional problem of SooHyun's disappear, and I think the drama should have allowed them to get into what it means for a boss and an employee to be lovers. 

As we move into the final episodes (which I still predict will be heavy on power struggle and less on the romance between the JinSoo couple), I really do think that they could really benefit from solidifying their professional partnership.  JinHyuk is super serious about protecting SooHyun's dreams and ambitions, and his kind heart, inventiveness, and proactive nature are a pretty strong combination that are an asset to SooHyun the CEO.  By talking about the issue and not just doing things without discussing them, they'd be laying the foundation for a professional partnership that could help ensure that she keeps her CEO spot at the upcoming election and elections in the future. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, thistle said:

Timers actually are old school.  They've been around for decades (like think 1950's or 60's).

Wow! That answers my question then. Guess I wasnt too curious on how street lamps work. :sweat_smile: sorry for being naive.

@yonaomi123

I love what you said. And I think we will be seeing more of their professional partnership in the next episodes when they will take on TG.

———————————

i just love this song so much:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2