[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

How many times should i watch this episode before i can see it without blurry eyes?:bawling:

I want to add to my answer why it is titled boyfriend...

Only a man who can endure pain, make sacrifices,  have emotional stability, determination, full of love can be a boyfriend of SH. And sh has found one, JH.

There are many nice sayings/quotations said in ep9... but the nicer ones come with a heavy heart. I just want something light, take it from Mr. Nam, he always knows one...." love is like sneezing, you can't stop it, just like burping".:rolleyes:

• Like 12
  • LOL 3

15 hours ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

I have one little complain: the hugging scene by the end - something is missing and I can't pinpoint exactly. Is it because he doesn't hug her tightly at first or pulls her to him- with the hand gesture, it is more like the hands are placed behind her back latter in a separate shot. Or her hands are still in her pocket while he runs towards her rather than take it out and holds him at the same time - it may look better than she takes her hands out of her pocket to hug him latter?. I mean, the visuals of PBG and SHK are good, the scenery is beautiful but the hug scene does not really look as intimate as I thought - it is just safe. I love the scene leading to that, when they look at each other and JH runs towards SH  their expressions are on-point but after that, I feel the hug is quite like technical acting; even the facial expression. It is compensated by the final scene with the book though.  

I have to say that I'm really enjoying this drama and didn't have a problem with this hug. When compared to the normal "stiff as a board, woman don't hug back" hugs that are usually found in K-dramas, I thought this one was pretty good because she hugged back. I also don't expect a lot of "passion" in a K-drama.....especially when one of the actors is popular and married to another popular actor.

That being said, I do understand what you mean and agree that something is missing. I've thought for a while that they are missing "chemistry"; the scenes are beautiful and well executed, but the "C" is missing. It's almost as if we have an actress who is a little too mature for the male lead; an older woman with a young man. Her acting comes across as more melodrama type acting and his is a mix between romantic school drama. There is a chemistry between the second leads (her friend/assistant and his friend/pub owner) that feels seamless; the same for Mr. Nam and JH's ex-manager. 

I will say, however that as this drama has progressed, I do think their interactions have developed a lot more from where they first started.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

The most important scene was when CSH and ex-hubby met. We finally got to know how the marriage was, terrible. I believe that if Hubby had stepped up to the plate and defended CSH from his mother, CSH would have fallen for him. She expected that from him. Who doesn't love a strong man!! So when she told him how she cannt forget how weak he looked as he looked on helplessly at his evil mum, I understood her fully!! Weak men suck!

CSH and her ex-hubby were very much alike in that they both had mothers who pretty much ruled their lives. CSH always tried to endure for the sake of her father and mother's political ambitions (more her mother).  What she didn't expect was to have a mother in law that tries to control people with an iron fist.  I agree with you that if he had stood up to his mother and protected her, she probably could have fallen in love with him.

Her ex-hubby really loves her. Unfortunately, he's a man who was raised to obey his mother. He didn't like the way his mother treated CSH and would buy her presents to compensate for the treatment. What he failed to realize, is that material things can't buy happiness. What CSH needed was a strong man to stand up to his mother and protect her.  

I do wonder how CSH will react when she finds out that he never cheated on her, but made it up so she could have a proper and respectable reason for divorcing him; all in order to protect her from his mother. 

Side note:  I need for the writers to make Jin Hyuk appear stronger otherwise it's like CSH is still with a man who can't protect her. Currently, here ex is doing a lot behind the scene to protect CSH. That's why I was hoping that JH would leave for a while (time jump) and come back as a worldly man who wasn't depended on her company for a job.

• Like 11

I thought the hug scene was fine and their facial expressions was on point for me . I agree that their interactions has developed a lot lot more as the drama progresses which is understandable and expected :)

HI....i have always thought she cares about JH and i think she still do...but this time she has crossed her line being as a true friend :crazy:

hYtshV.jpg

dc

@nikir  it wasn't like that when i was watching that scene, maybe the pic was  being photoshopped :lol:

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

12 hours ago, utkim said:

Bo-gum and Kyo were so good at this scene, those tears of longing, happy seeing each other again are love :heart:

dc

but hey why both have the same lipstick color :o:lol:

I often find them with matching lip color in most scenes :D

• Like 2

My thought about WS and HI in episode 9

1. About WS

We already saw him by gifts to his fake mistress or dresses to the saleswoman as a way to say thank you. And obviously he wasn't a protective husband to SH, that's why the marriage ended in a very bad shape. So there is nothing new to me when SH told WS about he stood there with weak eyes, doing nothing when his mom punished her and later showered her with gifts.

WS has a serious communication problem, that's for sure. He simply doesn't know how to express himself. All of these, however, make him a weak character rather than someone who is not worth being sympathized at all (I am not talking about sympathizing with his failed marriage because I have no second lead syndrome for him; just that as a human being he still has the chance to be better). He was able to let SH go once, he can still do it again and protect her from his mom, once and for all, for everyone's sake. 

"I hope we can start greeting each other with a smile" - well, I consider this the ending for WS and SH, in a near future.

I do have a problem with the script regarding WS. It is OK that WS has not been able to move on but it is absurd to try to come back to your ex-wife after not treat ing her well without any prior moves. It looks like WS does nothing in particular to get on SH's good sides again and suddenly he mentions getting back together without any reason, just because he feels threatened by JH. Of course he gets a no - what is there to expect because he, more than anyone, knows how SH suffered as a daughter-in-law in his family and (as she took nothing but a nearly bankrupt hotel as alimony) she doesn't care about wealth. And SH doesn't even think of him as a man who makes senses - he knows that too.

WS has trouble in expressing himself, yes; a weak character, yes; but he is not a crazy, lunatic man. I get it that the writer may want to make a stark contrast between WS and JH just to show that JH is the man that WS can never be to SH. But really, WS is made to look so pathetic and unable to comprehend even simple issues. 

2. About HI

Before SH announced being in a pre-relationship, HI voiced her concern to JH what SH would choose - to save her hotel or JH. By admitting to JH that SH is really cool and telling SH about JH's transfer, it is a sign that HI at least temporarily cast aside her worry about SH's sincere feeling towards JH. She expected that SH would  protect JH by revoking the transfer to let JH stay. I notice HI's change in facial expression when JH said he had to go so that SH could keep her hotel. I guess that it is not just HI but everyone around JH and SH understand Taegyeong won't just let them be. And it is true JH is suffering alone in a remote place, away from his family and friend.

"I know this may sound rude, but can you just stop seeing him now?" It is not like HI directly asks to meet SH and tells her to stop seeing JH. She had to muster her courage to talk like that to her boss when she has the chance and she also says she is sorry. I don't consider it as sabotaging SH-JH relationship - it is just something SH is already scared of and someone voices it out loud for her - someone who does care about JH. HI is stepping the line of friendship in this case - yes; even when she means well. But I just don't hold it against her because she does not do it to be able to replace SH in JH's heart. Even MJ voices the same concern to SH, only the use of her words is different.  

"It's excruciating to watch someone you care about go through the wringer because of you. We're used to being under the public eye, but he's led a normal life so far. Having that normality shattered is painful too.No one knows that better than you" - said SH's father. 

People like HI and MJ have not truly realized how SH and JH love and need each other.  And they are still young so there are things they don't understand yet about happiness, like Mr Nam or tea-lady friend. In time, they will

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@krisan  your comments below is on point with their scene. 

Yes, it breaks my heart that the one who always good at holding things break down and show her emotions while the other one, who always show his feeling, freely tell to the world how he felt, hold it. Just break that door and show the world, I don't want to see them both like that .

boyfriend's ending scene and movie scene still top 1,2 at naver until now.

me. when i see some comments abt ws. :phew:  breath in / breath out. 

• Like 11

Just want to share my thoughts on HI and the others

I absolutely agree that as a friend, you can only ADVISE but NEVER MEDDLE in your friend’s relationship. I was rolling my eyes the entire scene. Sure her intentions may be pure (or is it really?) but it also kinda rubbed me the wrong way

Also what is that scene in the preview where she is showing JH’s Dad something? I wonder...

Re: hug scene. I loved it, probably because my initial reaction when I see my significant other after a long time is to hug him tight. A kiss would’ve been great but let’s just say it happened in our imaginations :wub: because 3 kisses in a single episode? When will they ever :joy:

Re: WS, where do I even begin? I do feel bad for him but dude had all the chances but didn’t really know what to do with it. Part of me thinks he cannot accept that CSH has moved on and is actually happy. Like many of you have said in the past, may be he thought CSH would always be available for him to woo back but now that she’s not he is getting kinda desparate. I loved how CSH told him bluntly that the person she is seeing is very special to her 

I only wish we have more than 16 episodes to flesh out all these side character because all of them are so interesting

• Like 17

5 hours ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

Im sure the journalist will write about her experience on how Donghwa Resort Sokcho staff help her.

Just like he said before, KJH is actually making his own way back to where he belong.. with his kindness

Yep this is exactly what am expecting as well..this will make others see JH in a positive way ..will mitigate some of the negative commens in SNS..

Ep 9 was awesome..this is one show that keeps getting better and better with each episode..expectations are reaching sky high!! The experts have spoken what I and we all felt..so wont add much..but such a beautiful episode..this episode alone felt like a movie..the emotions..omo..giddy happiness followed by comedy then harsh reality sinks in then an emotional ride finally ending in a beautiful hug!! Sigh..:wub:

Reg. the hug in the ending..I think JH was perfect in his portrayal!! if only CSH's hand was more forthcoming for the hug or her action..she cried but her emotion did not show as much as JH!! She was happy but not super happy/emotional as JH in meeting after a month. Or maybe we are just expecting too much from this drama..what can we do ..they portray the characters so well!!:D

And am hoping there will be a kiss in the reunion which we will see in Ep 10 beginning!! :wub:

One question..are JH and CSH meeting after a month in ep ending? So technically in Jan end/feb? I thought it was maybe a week or 2 break? Do they show the duration in the episode?

• Like 6

I would just like to compliment the composer once again. At the end of episode 9 when CSH was driving, the bgm was marvelously crafted. Based on the theme in Johann Pachelbel's Canon -- a theme that I've always associated with pure and ardent love -- the bgm accurately conveys the notion that through their time apart, their feelings for each other have perhaps distilled into something deeper than just attraction. However, the melody was also broken and mixed with dissonance at times. These imperfections invoke feelings of foreboding and urgency, which mirrors their situation: CSH was hurried looking for KJH, and their relationship is expected to be riddled with difficulties and challenges. Music here was so well done.

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

The most important scene was when CSH and ex-hubby met.

I had a major "told you" moment when I saw this scene, as it supported what I said earlier in this thread, and why ex-hubby was such an interesting character. You kinda feel for him, but you also know that he deserved what he got. This is a sign of a well written character.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Also now I wonder if CSH and WS had any relationship as husband and wife when they were married? Coz CSH initially expected WS to protect her from his mother..so were they otherwise husband and wife? how was their communication with each other? Did they initially communicate well but then did it get worse after MIL interference or from Day 1 they were like strangers? Ep 9 got me more curious abt the nature of their relationship!! 

• Like 3

Let’s make a guess what does CSH scream with  happiness in episode 10 : hmm maybe CSH , 사랑해요. :D

also , I’m waiting until the day JH drop the honorific and  just call SH as SH-si instead of CEO cha, I’m not too familiar with all the Korean honorific but up to this point , can he just call her by her name considering they are already in another level of relationship. 

• Like 8

Song Hye-kyo is Song Hye-kyo....                                            Enter article 2019.01.03 at 2:50 pm

0002377433_001_20190103145140281.jpg?type=w430_q70    There are a variety of modifiers to call entertainers. Someone is called a 'star'. Someone else is called 'actor'. What is the difference between the two? If the 'star' is an image built on the popularity, 'actor' can be obtained by having the skeleton of acting ability. Sometimes these two seem difficult to do. Song Hye - kyo is such a great person. This is because he is an actor who leads the Korean Wave market and is an actor armed with solid performance. There is no exception in the current TVN drama 'Boyfriend' (play Yoo Young-a, director Park Shin-woo, production factory) 
Song Hye - kyo suffered the pain of a divorce in the play, but he acted as Chae Soo - hyun, who stood out as a distinctive dancer. He seems to have many things but he does not have much, and he seems to be free from divorce, but he is still not free from his gaze and envy. He meets a man named Jin-Hyuk Kim (Park Bo-gum) and opens his eyes to a new world. I am careful, but the appearance of Cha Seo-hyun entering into the realm of Kim Jin-hyeok is natural and refreshing as the sponge does. 
To Song Hye-kyo, 'Boyfriend' was a double-edged sword. It is a blessing to meet with the most trendy actor of the day called "Park Boogum". But it is not easy. If you squeeze, you have to carry a great deal of criticism. Comparisons coming from physical age differences should also be taken. However, Song Hye - kyo is able to digest all of this. The appearance that does not feel age difference as the 'star' is outstanding, and the character digestive power which directs this drama as the 'actor' is the best.
Song Hye-kyo has always been breathing with the best actors of the time. Conversely, it can be said that Song Hye Kyo was allowed to sit next to a male actor who was in the best position of his day. This is not a result that anyone can make deliberately. Song Hye-kyung is a self-employed position. In ten years, Changsan has changed. Song Hye - kyo has been steadily maintaining his position for more than 20 years when Changsan has changed twice. This is proof that he has all the conditions of star and actor. 
The Korean entertainment industry is a rather harsh place for the actress. There are not a lot of works that they can appear in comparison to male actors. The works that focus on women are extremely rare, and even in the works they appear, they are still ancillary figures. Moreover, the role that can be taken after marriage is limited. Especially the male and female actresses who care about the chemistry of the actor are more disturbed. 
However, Song Hye Kyo has walked all the way through all the gates as he has done so far. And Song Hye - kyo 's choice speaks out that the decisions of those who chose Song Hye - gyo were not wrong. Although it is a cliche, Song Hye-kyo is still pretty. When an actor plays well, it looks even more beautiful. That's why Song Hye-kyo is in the 'boyfriend'. 
Whoever says that Song Hye Kyo is Song Hye Kyo. 
Anjinyong reporters realyong@munhwa.com.....source credit @https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=021&aid=0002377433
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

@africandramalover I loved your observation about the frequent use of frames in this episode. And this reminded me of JWS's liking for rectangles. Encounter episode 8 JWs office 2.png  

We could interpret this aspect in this way: CSH and JH are living in JWS's world, the frames symbolize the boundaries and the lack of freedom. Then you can also notice that the space (inside the frame) is getting smaller and smaller as time passed one which represents the increasing pressure coming from outside. The smaller the frame is, the stronger is the pressure. Notice that in the first picture you posted, CSH is sitting in front of the smaller window and in the next picture, the frame is even smaller. But this is even more visible with JH. Encounter episode 9 JH in the mirror.pngNotice that there are two frames which illustrate that he is facing two boundaries/kinds of pressure. I feel that the second pressure signifies that he can not even express his own struggles. He knows that if he complains to CSH, she will get even more scared and run away. That's why he always smiles when talking to her over the phone, he always tries to smoothe her worries. He is definitely "stubborn" but in a positive way. No matter what he sees, hears or experiences, he won't give in. And this contrasts a lot to JWS. I would like to underline the similarity between JWS and JH. Both are facing the same "enemy": chairman Kim. The latter tries to dictate the life of others: JWS and JH. Striking is that JWS has definitely more power and money than JH, yet he never dared and dares to stop his mother. He didn't object to her request: meet three other girls. JH does the exact opposite: he stands his ground, lets the chairman Kim insult him and CSH, even demote him to Sokcho, yet he replies to her and remains firm in his conviction/attitude. She might hurt him but she can not break him! To conclude, he doesn't stay quiet as he talks to chairman Kim. On the other hand, JWS remained quiet and did nothing.

Then the frame symbolizing JWS's world contrasts a lot to the natural element "the wind". It was already mentioned in the episode 8 that JH used to visit this place

Spoiler

Encounter episode 8 the tower.png

in order to take picture of the wind. Remember the importance of nature in this drama. I had already pointed out that JH had been associated with nature. And even JWS has realized this. When he meets CSH, he talks about the wind.

Spoiler

Encounter episode 8 JWS and CSH meeting.png

Here the wind is actually a metaphor for JH. The wind knows no boundary, no limit as it is connected to the sky that's why the wind should be perceived as the epitome of freedom. Moreover, by asking her not to let herself blow away, JWS actually wants her to remain in his world ("rectangle/frame") because if she allows this, she will leave his world and won't be able to come back. Furthermore, by associating JH to the wind, he is implying that her relationship with JH is doomed as the wind is something untouchable. You can not remain by the side of the wind, you can feel it but that's it.

And now let's pay attention to the drawing in the beginning. Encounter episode 9 drawing beginning.png

In this scene, the wind is not only visible (the sheets of paper are blowing away) but also audible. Striking is that JH is seen as if he was standing on a podium. His actual position reflects the situation he is facing during the episode:

• his loneliness
  • he is in the spotlight, gathering the attention of the media and SNS
  • the pieces of paper could be perceived as the messages, articles and texts written by the journalists, "friends" and netizens. They are spreading rumors about him and he can not control them. As you can see, the wind as natural element is also used as a negative aspect, just like the waves and the snakes in the earlier drawings. Like JH confessed to CSH: this was a natural happening and it can not be controlled.  Notice that he doesn't stop them from blowing away. He remains quite passive. 
  • an allusion of the ending scene: Encounter episode 9 scene at the lighthouse 1.png The wind is turning the pages of the book. We know that JH finds comfort and strength in reading books in order to overcome his loneliness and his struggles. Therefore, we could interpret this scene like this: By letting the pieces of paper flying away, our protagonist is also sending a SOS, maybe someone might realize his terrible situation.  

The chosen dark colors also indicate that this episode will be rather sad and gloomy as I had already written that the dark colors are linked to trouble and cold world. JH is not able to leave this podium, he is trapped and can only watch what is happening around him. There is no escape for him.  

As conclusion, the wind is used for different meanings: freedom, JH and the power of media and SNS. Let us not forget that the wind is linked to the element air which made me realize that our OTP is often represented in the drawings as if they were flying in their air, f. ex. 

Spoiler

Encounter drawing episode 6.png orEncounter episode 8 drawing ending.png

And the air as natural element (next to sea, earth and fire) plays a huge part in this drama. This is what I found about the symbol of air:

Air is the element of intelligence, creativity, and beginnings. Largely intangible and without permanent form, air is an active, masculine element, superior to the more material elements of water and earth.

• Qualities: Warm, Moist
  • Golden Dawn Direction: East
  • Golden Dawn Color: Yellow
  • Season: Spring
  • Time of Day: Morning, Sunrise

If you read carefully, you'll realize the air fits JH's description. He is very manly and oozes warmth and comfort. The fact that he keeps mentioning spring to CSH in order to let her know how happy he is to be in love with her and to be with her. She is able to change the season with her only presence. 

@twtwb @stroppyse@Yongzura @jl08 @USAFarmgirl@thistle @dukesa1122 @nubianlegalmind 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5