[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

4 hours ago, nikir said:

So,given that KJH saved a year's money to go to Cuba initially,   looks like this is a high paying job since he is going to Cuba within few months of joining Donghwa :D:w00t:

If he was a smart boy (which he is), then he would expense this out as a business trip to have a business meeting with the Donghwa Hotel CEO.  As long as they speak for about a minute about the hotel, he can fully justify and have Donghwa Hotel pay for his travel expenses.  That's the beauty of dating the company CEO.

Rewatching episodes 1-8 for about the 20th time now.  I think my favorite support character is Secretary Jang.  I think it's her prickliness as Dae-Chan describes her, that makes her so endearing.  The part where she is bemoaning her hangover and suddenly hears the Dating App notification chime is hilarious.  Her reactions to the ever-evolving CSH/KJH relationship just make me laugh out loud.  She is going to wear out the phrase "Oww, my head!"  She has all these cute things that she does like when she runs around the car to confront Manager Nam and tricks him into spilling his guts.  She is my guilty crush for this series.

:love:

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

10 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

Rewatching episodes 1-8 for about the 20th time now.  I think my favorite support character is Secretary Jang.  I think it's her prickliness as Dae-Chan describes her, that makes her so endearing.  The part where she is bemoaning her hangover and suddenly hears the Dating App notification chime is hilarious.  Her reactions to the ever-evolving CSH/KJH relationship just make me laugh out loud.  She is going to wear out the phrase "Oww, my head!"  She has all these cute things that she does like when she runs around the car to confront Manager Nam and tricks him into spilling his guts.  She is my guilty crush for this series.

I remember thinking to myself that Secretary Jang’s protectiveness + Mr. Nam’s want to give CSH freedom provides good balance as supporting roles. Mr. Nam is there to tell Sec Jang to lighten up a bit and Sec Jang is there to remind CSH of the reality when she’s doing too much. I love that she’s not telling CSH not to date KJH ever since she found out that CSH have feelings for KJH (when they were talking in the car). I also love her reaction every time KJH’s name is being brought up. :D They provide relief to an otherwise heavy drama between our OTP

To Mods:

Please combine my posts. :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I remember thinking to myself that Secretary Jang’s protectiveness + Mr. Nam’s want to give CSH freedom provides good balance as supporting roles. Mr. Nam is there to tell Sec Jang to lighten up a bit and Sec Jang is there to remind CSH of the reality when she’s doing too much. I love that she’s not telling CSH not to date KJH ever since she found out that CSH has feelings for KJH (when they were talking in the car). I also love her reaction every time KJH’s name is being brought up. :D They provide relief to an otherwise heavy drama between our OTP

I agree, I think a turning point for Secretary Jang was when she and CSH were talking in the car and CSH was almost in tears as she explained about the horrible timing of their building relationship and her having the stigma of being a divorcee.  You could see on her face that she was feeling CSH's pain.  I do not think that Secretary Jang will try to dissuade the two of them from dating anymore.  I think as you said she will be the voice of caution and reality.  I also hope that she and Dae-Chan start dating.  That might help take the edge off her as well.  Nothing mellows out a person more than being in the early stages of romantic love.

:heart:  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, larrysouth said:

I also hope that she and Dae-Chan start dating.  That might help take the edge off her as well.  Nothing mellows out a person more than being in the early stages of romantic love

I wonder if she knows that it was Dae-Chan wearing the Pirate mask in the YE Party and was trying ro flirt with her :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I wonder if she knows that it was Dae-Chan wearing the Pirate mask in the YE Party and was trying ro flirt with her :joy:

What I am really hoping for is that she gets really drunk again and then they wake up in bed together the next morning.  I don't think she knew during the party but I am sure she would be surprised if they woke up together.

:joy:

One thing that I have been wondering about is that since the two of them seem to be going through what would appear from the public's perspective to be a very traditional Korean courting process,  would not public opinion and hence the SNS comments eventually start to become more positive or does the fact that she is older and a divorcee make the whole relationship taboo?  It just seems that at some point the public would say, I think they are being respectful to each other and to the public's sensibilities and therefore I am OK with their relationship?  I would love to hear the Korean perspective on this.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, dukesa1122 said:

Hope our OTP is fine. SHK gets runny nose easily.  :dissapointed_relieved: I wonder why they weren’t bundled up by their stylist though. :mellow:

I bet they have hot packs stuck all over them underneath their thin clothes!  Poor things.  At least the staff probably can wear as much coats and gloves as they want. 

• Like 7

Weather in South Korea, “Feels Like” is really tough for Encounter’s Casts and Crews indeed.

As audiences have watched, there are several scenes outdoor and in the night time because of beautiful videography, definitely very cold/freezed.

5594CFF5-750C-47DF-8B65-33EF48EDD774.jpg

44716868-2CF8-41E4-94EF-6324F02B1096.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Hope our OTP is fine. SHK gets runny nose easily.  :dissapointed_relieved: I wonder why they weren’t bundled up by their stylist though. :mellow:

I wouldn’t know our beloved casts and crews have to work in such extreme weather conditions If I hadn’t join this thread. It makes me feel really grateful and appreciated the entire casts , production team so much more.

Eventhough I miss my weekly dose of encounter; however I’m very glad that they postponed the airing schedule until next week.

thank you so much  Encounter team and 

all those members who work diligently updating the news in this thread.

감사합니다.

남사친고  보고 싶어요.

4 hours ago, larrysouth said:

:love:

Eventhough I know Sec Kang do all her best to protect CSH but at time I feel she crossed her line. 

I don’t think she has any right to meet up JH privately and  tell him to stop seeing CSH. Luckily, our beloved JH is stubborn and that’s why we have so many sweet moments up till now.

i hope by having romantic relationship with Dae Chan , she will be more loosen up and be a good comrade to CSH in the battlefields.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So I’ve just started episode 4 of my too-many-times-to-count rewatch and I feel like I’ve had one of those lightbulb Eureka moments...

I hadn’t realized before now that it wasnt JinHyuk who confessed first— it was SooHyun.  And it was perfectly tailored to him, artist that he is.  Nothing so straightforward as calling him, but instead reaching out across the distance between them through song.  I’m sure by that point SooHyun had already looked up the translation of the lyrics and knew exactly what the words meant that she was sending him, on top of the fact that it was a song specific to the two of them.  

No wonder JinHyuk is almost bursting with this overly pleased with himself energy, in the wake of telling SooHyun he missed her (too).  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@yonaomi123 Nice catch on CSH communicating long distance to KJH.  It certainly gave KJH the energy to make that long drive back to Sokcho.

I do feel however there is a lot of discrimination occurring in this series.  What's with all the hate on zipper ties?  I have 5 of them and use them all the time.  They are so much easier to use than a standard tie and about 10 times quicker.  No one has ever known that I did not have on a standard tie unless I tell them.  Once another man sees it, the first question out of his mouth is where can I buy those at?  CSH please stop hating on those of us that are fashion forward in our tie selection.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14

@larrysouth

Although I seriously doubt that to happen, I still wish it. It’s also nice to have balance and have one very classic couple and one very unconventional pair. These two needs to heat it up. 

The public is starting to appreacite our OTP however, there are still haters especially those who have their own dramas to ship.

@yonaomi123

I hope so too. The staff were all weaing thermal clothes from the BTS. 

4 hours ago, tamanh nguyen said:

tI don’t think she has any right to meet up JH privately and  tell him to stop seeing CSH. 

This might be because when they were celebrating the night before, CSH gave her the impression that she wants to stop or trying to stop. But when she knew that CSH likes KJH she didnt do all those stunts anymore.

2 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

hadn’t realized before now that it wasnt JinHyuk who confessed first— it was SooHyun.  And it was perfectly tailored to him, artist that he is.  Nothing so straightforward as calling him, but instead reaching out across the distance between them through song.  I’m sure by that point SooHyun had already looked up the translation of the lyrics and knew exactly what the words meant that she was sending him, on top of the fact that it was a song specific to the two of them.  

You are totally right, chingu! :thumbsup: Had CSH never requested that song and KJH didnt hear it, there wouldnt be any confession from KJH. I didnt lookup the lyrics for that song yet. This almost makes me remember the time when SHK posted a french song in her ig and the lyrics is so obviously for SJK. :wub:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For me sec jang is a 'perfect' buddy for SH, not only she is her sec,but also her old friend of SH n we could say that she almost know everything about SH past, so everything that she has done until now is realistic as it is,both as her friend n her professional secretary..her 'annoying' behaviour towards possible problems is reasonable  too,given the situation that SH have going through if SH make any mistake since she is famous CEO..

Although yes I have to admitted that she is quite rigid n sometime make me wanna say 'Yah,your friend is falling in love n happy,support your friend!!' :sweatingbullets: its like in epi where JH was confronted by ex MIL,SH wanna go to helped but sec jang gave her a NO n drag her away,n that time I said 'why u have to stop her sec jang!!!' but then again it is her character,to 'protect' SH as her boss n her friend..

N I hope she can like Mr.Nam a little bit in later epi to give SH more support to pursue her happiness..

• Like 9

Si Llego A Besarte (English Lyrics)

If I Manage to Kiss You

They say that your caresses
will never be mine ...
that your loving arms
will never embrace me...

And I dreamed last night
that you loved me
And even if I died afterwards
I want to kiss you.

Give me a kiss and forget
that you kissed me
I would give you my life
if you asked for it.

For if I manage to kiss you
as I have dreamed,
it would be impossible
for you to forget me.

Give me a kiss and forget
that you kissed me
I'd give you my life
if you asked for it.

For if I manage to kiss you
as I have dreamed,
it would be impossible
for you to forget me.

Interesting choice of music from the writer

I want another Spanish song in the soundtrack :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Actually, since ep 1, SH is the one making the 1st move. When she ask for money to buy beer, thats the 1st one. If i were in her situation , i will ask money for transportation fare going home and not for beer. And it was followed by asking money for food and then for salsa show. Ha ha ha, she never stopped. Maybe, if JH has more money, their night would never end.

In ep 2, her visit at hongjae playground and ramyeon date, there will be none of these if not for SH.

• Like 11
  • LOL 5

Since we have a few more days before the next episode, I’ve decided to list down some of the “parallels” (am I using the correct term?) I’ve noticed. When one half of Jinsoo does something it always ends up that the other would be doing the same thing as well for the other

Episode 1: JH treats SH to a meal in Cuba, pays for her taxi

Episode 2: SH brings home a drunk JH, treats him to some ramen

Episode 3: JH tells SH to listen to the radio

Episode 6: SH tells JH to listen to the radio

Episode 4: JH defends SH from utter humiliation at the lobby by announcing he is the ramyeon guy

Episode 6: SH defends allegations that JH is a stalker by announcing they are in a pre relationship stage

Episode 4: SH teases JH that his head is heavy and that women have delicate shoulders

Episode 6: JH teases SH that she is heavier than she seems and that bikes are delicate in a sense

Episode 1: JH buys SH a pair of shoes

Episode 6: SH buys JH a necktie 

Episode 3: JH came rushing back to Sokcho to see SH

Future episode: Seems like SH would be doing the same as well

We probably all know these by now but it’s nice to keep a record and see how long this list goes when the drama ends :)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

When Park Bo Gum, Song Hye Kyo, and Encounter’s Casts&Crews made me check weather in South Korea.

They all are working in this freezed and cold weather.

Cold wave to rage on in Seoul and neighboring areas
Updated: 2018-12-27 18:06:00 KST

Cold wave hits South Korea 

Source: Xinhua| 2018-12-29 07:50:01|
A pedestrian walks in street of Seoul, South Korea, Dec. 28, 2018. A cold wave hit the country on Friday, dipping Seoul's temperature to minus 19.3 degrees Celsius. (Xinhua/Wang Jingqiang)

1 hour ago, roshzanna said:

Actually, since ep 1, SH is the one making the 1st move. When she ask for money to buy beer, thats the 1st one. If i were in her situation , i will ask money for transportation fare going home and not for beer. And it was followed by asking money for food and then for salsa show. Ha ha ha, she never stopped. Maybe, if JH has more money, their night would never end.

In ep 2, her visit at hongjae playground and ramyeon date, there will be none of these if not for SH.

When I rerun Encounter esp. early episodes, I felt as same as yours that Cha Soo Hyun has made several moves  and initiated moments with Kim Jin Hyuk.

- Ask to pick shoes and buy beer 

- Ask to salsa dance

- Go to KJH playground and ask KJH about telephone at 12.42

- Make a kidding joke to drunken KJH during newly hired meeting and request to ramyeon at rest area.

However, after these moves, CSH was conscious and cautious with ramyeon news till she looked hesitant. Then KJH had interest in CSH and made more moves.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The note that KJH wrote is: "To the princess of the Roman holiday" 

If you have seen "Roman holiday”, the American romantic comedy movie, you will discover there is a similarity between Encounter and it.

During a trip to Rome (Italy), the princess decided to flee the supervision of the entourage to discover life in her own way. In that journey, the princess fall in love with a reporter. Together, they wandered around the alleys, turning the streets of Roma, and then when she return to the palace, the summer days in Roma become the best memories in Princess Ann's life. 

The role of Princess Ann in "Roman Holiday" has given actress Audrey Hepburn the Oscar of the Best Actress in 1954.

• Like 7