[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I agree with you. With this statement, JH makes it clear that he won't give in due to the pressure. I also sense that CSH feels terrible as she thinks, she is somehow responsible for all this. Nevertheless, I believe that JH will force her to become more brave and courageous. When he told her that she would hesitate with him, his remark incited her to take the initiative. Hence I think that JH's words will have an impact on her. 

And that's why he is so different from JWS, actually the exact opposite. He keeps following his mother's orders (his life, marriage, aso) and tried to stop his mother. All this time, he did some actions behind his mother's back. He never really confronted her therefore he let CSH suffer.   

You make a good point: that because WooSeok never truly confronted his mother, therefore SooHyun suffered.  I find myself curious what a real confrontation between WooSeok and his mother would look like, or rather if we'll ever see a real one.

We've already seen him threaten to cut ties with his mother if she doesn't leave off pressuring SooHyun, but obviously no such cutting ties has taken place.  In my head, I think perhaps his mother has heard him make all of these types of token protests in the past, when his heart was engaged, but knows that when push comes to shove her son isn't truly willing to put everything on the line for someone else.  All of which goes back to WooSeok being trapped in his position and not understanding that there is a worthwhile world to live in, outside that of the mega-rich one he has inhabited since birth. 

Going back to the beginning of your comment, I hope the writer will show us that even WooSeok has a breaking point (maybe I should say building point?), past which he will not let his mother push him.  And use that to mirror the way in which JinHyuk has so far not bowed to any pressure (and probably will continue not giving in), just as he'll encourage SooHyun not to give into pressure either. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

You make a good point: that because WooSeok never truly confronted his mother, therefore SooHyun suffered.  I find myself curious what a real confrontation between WooSeok and his mother would look like, or rather if we'll ever see a real one.

We've already seen him threaten to cut ties with his mother if she doesn't leave off pressuring SooHyun, but obviously no such cutting ties has taken place.  In my head, I think perhaps his mother has heard him make all of these types of token protests in the past, when his heart was engaged, but knows that when push comes to shove her son isn't truly willing to put everything on the line for someone else.  All of which goes back to WooSeok being trapped in his position and not understanding that there is a worthwhile world to live in, outside that of the mega-rich one he has inhabited since birth. 

Going back to the beginning of your comment, I hope the writer will show us that even WooSeok has a breaking point (maybe I should say building point?), past which he will not let his mother push him.  And use that to mirror the way in which JinHyuk has so far not bowed to any pressure (and probably will continue not giving in), just as he'll encourage SooHyun not to give into pressure either. 

Striking is that JWS has always used the same way to "protect" or impress CSH: money and power. He used his power and money to buy her a fancy dress. He even bought the mistress/girlfriend and again he used his connection to meet that painter. But money and power come from his family. I had mentioned before that JWS never made any effort for CSH as he never used other ways. 

In order to leave his self-created cage, he needs to give up all this but he can not right now. He is too used to it. As long as he will use his fortune for his own desire, he will never be able to live freely as his mother has a way to pressure him. His threads have always been empty threads. In my opinion, he can only change, when he witnesses how CSH gives up everything for her own happiness. I sense that she might inspire him in the end.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Posted by yckim124 AKP STAFF  1 hour ago

'Boyfriend' not airing this week

bfjpg.jpg

tvN drama 'Boyfriend' is not airing this week. 

On December 26, it's revealed 'Boyfriend' has been omitted from tvN's broadcast schedule this week. Episode 9 originally scheduled to air on Wednesday the 26th and episode 10 on Thursday the 27th will not air this week.

The producers explained the break is to heighten the quality of the drama. 

Past episodes 7 and 8 will be airing again on Wednesday instead, and an episode of 'Drama Stage 2019' will be airing in 'Boyfriend' slot on Thursday.  

'Boyfriend' will resume airing on its normal schedule next week on January 2....source credit @https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/12/boyfriend-not-airing-this-week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

I never think JH tries to break up or stay away from SH under pressure; at this point she is more likely to give up than him, given all things she has gone through so far and how she wishes the best for JH. It is not about who loves who more but JH is truly a strong pillar in this relationship. He always takes the lead and encourages SH to take bold steps with him;

6 hours ago, gumtaek said:

As the PD of the drama has underscored during the PressCon, Boyfriend is a story of courage in protecting the love...so they will hold fast to that love up to end.

Thinking about it now, you guys are right. I guess, the realistic feelings of what will happen is what you guys pointed out: that CSH will be the one who will give up to give JH’s normal life back but JH will remain to be stubborn.

@stroppyse Thank you so much for the translation! I always find yours accurate :wub:

Just an after thought.

People have been asking for a flaw from KJH. Stating the he’s too perfect and unrealistic. Well here it is: He’s one of those people who can’t or don’t know how to tell his unconventional relationship to his parents.

Not to critizise JH. I truly understand that he might have been waiting for the right timing to tell his parents about the relationship but things have been blown out of proportion before he can find that timing.

One more flaw: he’s too stubborn for his own good. While this might be an important characteristic for our OTP to thrive and continue their romance this will also be a roadblock for KJH in the future.

Just some thoughts to answer those people asking for flaws. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know how I feel about CSH giving up now as I think she has come so far as a character, but I guess when you care so much about a person and their life and privacy is on the line, it cannot be helped. I’m really, really curious about how the writer will deliver this. But then again previews can be misleading lol

Seems like she went to Cuba on a business trip? I hope she took JH with him rather than he followed her there

And do we have a translation of the card she opened in the preview?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I don’t know how I feel about CSH giving up now as I think she has come so far as a character, but I guess when you care so much about a person and their life and privacy is on the line, it cannot be helped. 

She might be going back to Cuba for a business trip and for a time to think. What she’s wearing in the preview is not the same clothes she wore the last time she was suppose to meet KJH when they were in Cuba so this isn’t a flashback.

ul1iJT.jpg

Sorry but I don’t like KJH’s hair here. :sweat_smile:

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

I don’t know how I feel about CSH giving up now as I think she has come so far as a character, but I guess when you care so much about a person and their life and privacy is on the line, it cannot be helped. I’m really, really curious about how the writer will deliver this. 

If CSH gives up then this will turn into another typical drama with similar script , just gender reverse. This time rich girl gives in to the evil, external force which I maybe very disappointed.

i want a strong , determined badass female character will stand on her ground and protect what she deserves.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

If CSH gives up then this will turn into another typical drama with similar script , just gender reverse. This time rich girl gives in to the evil, external force which I maybe very disappointed.

i want a strong , determined badass female character will stand on her ground and protect what she deserves.

It’s realistic if you ask me. If I was in CSH place, the first thing that I would do is protect the one I love. CSH is older and with that comes experience to things that can be or cannot be. As per Sec Jang’s lines when they were in the car, KJH is just starting his life and now this is happening. CSH wanting to let go to give him back his old life is a more reasonable approach AT LEAST while she sorts out her business with Taekyong group and completely sever ties with them. 

Please dont get me wrong. I mean that CSH will have to let go of KJH ATM while she’s settling her business with her enemies and then go back to him.

As the line goes, courage can also be found in letting go.

———————————-

I might be wrong though and I would love to hear your inputs on this. Something to talk about while waiting out next week. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tamanh nguyen said:

She will be. I am confident in the "original" (before the burden of expectations buried her) and recently "unearthed" (thanks to free-spirited, unconditional and solid love of Jin Hyuk) Cha Soo Hyun. She will definitely stand her ground and protect her love for Jin Hyuk to the very end. The drama as I've posted many times is a story of courage in protecting that love.

@stroppyse: Thanks a lot for coming to the rescue!

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

She might be going back to Cuba for a business trip and for a time to think. What she’s wearing in the preview is not the same clothes she wore the last time she was suppose to meet KJH when they were in Cuba so this isn’t a flashback.

Sorry but I don’t like KJH’s hair here. :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah definitely it’s not a flashback, I’m just wondering how JH ended up there too. I hope they decided to take the trip together because that will send a strong message to the haters around them. :wub:

As for JH’s hair, it’s a little too bouffant for my taste but it still looks good, tho I prefer his masquerade hairstyle the best :wub:

And since we have six days to dissect everything, what do you think was written on that note? It couldn’t just be the Roman Holiday reference he said right

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm I think at some point they will succumb to the forces that will try to tear them apart. Love is sacrifice. One would think that loving the other is best expressed by letting go. But of course as the climax comes to its resolution, everything will fall into place. I think the plot intends to bring about growth in KJH’s end. He can always fight but sometimes it’s best to fight being more prepared, stronger, braver and of course more forceful. Having a little set back in the relationship makes it more dramatic. We can just see them fighting for their love in their own way. Im sure no matter what the odds are, they will find their way into each other’s arms. KJH is so subtle, so warm, and refreshing that CSH could not resist- she will always go back to the man who brought warmth and hope and color in her monotonous life. I want a stronger and more capable KJH. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

And since we have six days to dissect everything, what do you think was written on that note? It couldn’t just be the Roman Holiday reference he said right

Maybe the title of the Kim Hwan Ki painting:

Where, In What Form, Shall We Meet Again?

• Like 6

Remember when SH said in ep 7, that its the first day CSH is no longer crazy about the hotel, the CSh sold to and criticized?

I do believe she's willing to give up and leave behind what she had just to save their relationship.

She had already imbibed the stubborness of JH.

She's halfway regaining her freedom and happiness. There's no reason to turn back.

What's the use of living if you cannot even smile.

• Like 11

I believe the both of them will be together to conquer all odds..they will have it hard n feel want to give up for each other sake,but back again if someone is fate to be with u,with or without any obstacle they will end up with u..

JH is SH strength n vice versa..so I wanna see how much stubborn JH is until the end,will he feel want to give up for SH sake?

• Like 7