[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

7 minutes ago, charlieblue17 said:

I love this point. The way I see it is that despite being a well adjusted 29 year old with a lovely family and all there's an undercurrent of loneliness in JH as well. Not sure how to put it exactly, like he is hiding behind the camera or in his books while watching other people live. Same with learning what love is from a book rather than experiencing it first hand... When the little girl asked him to dance his reaction was very similar to SH's later that evening. When he drags her to dance it's not only her world that is changing but his as well.

What a great way of seeing it!  I think you're right.  We know that JH was lonely as a kid because his parents were very busy working and that was how he ended up in the library when he got tired of playing games.  The camera was supposed to be for his parents to take pictures of him but instead, he took pictures of them--that indicates some isolation and a kid who is taking responsibility before he really has to do so.  We also know that he has been through some sad times because his mother was ill and in the hospital for a month.  (Of course, I have to wonder just exactly what she was in the hospital for--I hope it was nothing either deadly or emotionally problematic.....but knowing how dramas tend to go, it is very likely to be either.) 

In his own way, JH was likely also shut off from the world because, as you so sagely say, he has been hiding behind the camera and in books.  And maybe he was doing that to hide the pain.  Certainly when his camera is broken in Cuba, he denies to accept payment and doesn't really indicate how devastating this is for him.  After all, when he later gives the camera to SH, he acknowledges that it is his most important possession.

I wonder if JH would have thought to ask SH to dance if the little girl hadn't done the same thing for her earlier.  

You made some great points that made me think more.  Thank you!  :)

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

In episode 1, when JH said if they could meet at the cafe at 9am and he has a question to ask CSH , I’m wondering what was the question he wanted to ask her.

will the writer reveal in the end or do they just leave it like that??? 

Im very curious about this.

The note JH left on the cafe notice board for SH might make an appearance later in the story. I imagine she ends up back in Havana alone, misses him, goes back to the cafe and finds the message. I think that he wanted to say that he would like to keep in touch. Or he was grasping at any excuse just to see her again.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

@dukesa1122 It’s okay, I’ve done it too. :sweatingbullets: The last one was my favorite too because it was a good, sweet old fashioned smack with a sound to boot. I’m glad the editors left it in, lol

Try zooming in on the gif that was posted. It wasnt a simple smack. JH sucked CSH lower lip. Suck and then release. :sweat_smile: So sorry for the perversion. I can’t help zooming in. 

7 hours ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

Oh well, i thought JH was about to kiss SH when he gave her the chocolate candy, and want SH to share the candy with him :lol::lol::lol:.. i mean, they were the only ones left at the office.. so.. :lol:

If it was a western drama, for sure they were grabbing each other the moment they were alone. 

52 minutes ago, thistle said:

The first camera I had was from even earlier than JH's, and it took both color and b&w film.  Perhaps others know much more that I do but I think that most cameras, unless they are very old (like maybe before the 1940's), are adapted to both color and b&w film. 

B&w pictures have a very different mood to them, and it can add a great deal of emotion.  But they can also be very somber.  JH seems like a very thoughtful person but also someone who appreciates color, so I'm still not sure why he would literally take all the color away from a trip to Cuba that he had worked so long and so hard for.

The other reason why I thought his camera can only take b&w pictures because all of the pictures in his room (aside from those of his graduation pictures) are taken in b&w.

But I agree with @charlieblue17. Perhaps, the saying is true, the most happy people are actually sad inside.

PS. my posts didnt merge like it did before. Please merge it if this is against the rules. Thanks

• Like 6
  • LOL 11

@thistle and @charlieblue17 I really enjoyed reading your posts about JH's personality. Yes, the fact that he chose to take pictures in black and white could be seen as an indication that his life before meeting CSH was colorless. I had noticed in the introduction of Encounter (first episode) that when JH is presented, the color changes, it goes from red to black and for CSH, it was dark pink to dark blue. We know that dark blue symbolized CSH's life before meeting JH: cold and distant.  In my opinion, JH never had a true childhood. He was forced to mature very early, to become an obedient son in order to help his parents. His pictures and books became his real companions. Since he never gave his parents any trouble, he had a certain freedom (arcade for a while, then the library) but he definitely had his own boundaries, especially due to his younger brother who caused a little some trouble to his parents. His isolation was different compared to CSH. He had friends (HI, DC) but he could never confide to them. I guess, he was not really aware of his isolation. I also think that he used to walk to the "open gallery" in his neighborhood or to that tower in the middle of a field alone and not with his friends. Hobbies like poetry, paintings or taking pictures are not the favorite hobbies of the younger generation. This also explains why he can connect so well with CSH. Despite the age gap, they are closer in their personality.  

What caught my attention is that JH keeps lying to his mother: about the transfer, about the shoes... Deep down, he must have this feeling that his mother won't like that he is dating CSH, a celebrity who is older and even divorced. To me, his mother keeps seeing him as a son and not as an adult. This close relationship with his mother is not good either.   

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I introduced this drama to my friend and she binged watched it in a day.

She came over to my house and she had these scenarios played out in her head that it amazed me and I thought I should share.

Spoiler

F: you know, I had this thought.

Me: what thought?

F: SH goes to a lingerie shop with her bestie (the secretary who will date Daechan) to help her friend to choose what to wear for the sexy moment between her and her man.

Me: huh?

F: think about it. Bestie asks if SH has done the do with JH and when SH says no, she nudges her to pick a lingerie also.

Me: now you are just being absurd.

F: hear me out will ya? SH says even if she gets one, she wouldn't know how to enchant her BF because she doesn't know how to. I mean, let's face it, from what we have watched so far about SH & WS, SH was tryna be the Woman WS likes, the ideal wife of a chaebol. What if it extended to their sex lives?

Me: well, you could be right but I'm not sure the writer will go that far adding that to the show.

F: It would be great if the writer does so. She could also write about bestie teaching SH some tricks to use to lure JH. After a date , SH asks JH if he wants Ramyeon, he agrees , he follows her to her home, she goes to change to her sexy outfit, comes out & the rest is history.

*my friend looks at me* 

Me: what is this? A fanfic? Pfft. It won't happen.

F: and if does?

Me: it definitely Won't.

Lol I'm looking forward to where our couple would go after their time together at the party. We have seen spoilers of them at Subway (i think) LOL.

If the writer decide to give a bed scene, I would scream my head off in excitement but I know it "may" not happen. 

I have been replaying the kiss scene and the gifs here ain't helping.

Someone tell me to control myself before I break the replay button.:crazy:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 10

47 minutes ago, charlieblue17 said:

The note JH left on the cafe notice board for SH might make an appearance later in the story. I imagine she ends up back in Havana alone, misses him, goes back to the cafe and finds the message. I think that he wanted to say that he would like to keep in touch. Or he was grasping at any excuse just to see her again.

Oh no no no no  , she shouldn’t end up alone in Havana , haha, I know I’m crazy . She should end up with him to see the garden. Love started there and completed there.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

What caught my attention is that JH keeps lying to his mother: about the transfer, about the shoes... Deep down, he must have this feeling that his mother won't like that he is dating CSH, a celebrity who is older and even divorced. To me, his mother keeps seeing him as a son and not as an adult. This close relationship with his mother is not good either.   

I think this is the most serious challenge that they're likely to face going forward. On one side, I do understand JH's reluctance to talk about the relationship. Their love is fresh and fragile and new, too precious to expose to discussion. Then there's the comment his mother made after ramyeon-gate and the fact that he got demoted/sent away because of her. He's going up against some very powerful people and his parents will be rightfully worried that he'll get hurt. Moreover once their relationship becomes public knowledge the whole family will become gossip topic by extension. As said, I totally get why he is tight lipped about it. But I hope he gets to tell his parents himself instead of them hearing it from the news. He's so fearless about every other challenge coming their way so it would be sad if he messes up with the people that matter the most.

That said, I think SH will fit right in as part of the Kim family. The way she and JH tease each other seems similar to the way his family teases him (like the hilarious "if JH drove it would take 4 days to get to the market" scene). Once they get to know her, I'm sure they will love her too. SH could really use spending time in such a warm environment.

• Like 18

40 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I agree.

He needs to tell his parents the truth.

He’s protecting his love (nothing wrong in that) but not realizing that his parents are going to get hurt when they find out the truth. 

Like @charlieblue17 mentioned, I also understand why he's hush hush about it.

He might be the object of gossip in the neighborhood and called names. He might not care about such things but his parents will & if such talks affects them, it will affect him + he's dealing with evil forces at work. They might come for his family.

• Like 14

I also wish JH had told his mother about his relationship with SH--he clearly doesn't want to worry her--is going to do what he's going to do. But I hope it doesn't blow up in his face and SH's face, too--wouldn't want her hurt by yet another mother.  

Re: B&W vs. color photography. Think B&W film is cheaper.  That's one possible reason to use it?  But I like @thistle observation, too, that JH's loneliness and solitary nature are mirrored by his B&W photos before he meets SH.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vu_hoa1983 said:

One of the key element to create chemistry is being able to step back and let the co-star be the focus of a scene instead of grabbing attention to oneself only - this is something I notice that SHK always does. No wonder why she has great chemistry with all of her co-stars.

I have to quote this, yes that's her. She doesn't mind to step back and let her co-star get more attention.

6 hours ago, larrysouth said:

I love your reference but I don’t think that Manager Nam is the fairy-man.  He is the carriage.  In fact, didn’t he become a pumpkin at midnight?

:innocent:

Ah yes..... It's more suitable for him, I forget the pumpkin mask :joy:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/boyfriend-episode-8/

Okay, so i just got back from dramabeans recap for ep.8. even tho i had horrible experience reading those nasty comments on episode 7 recap, but, i decided to go to the page after i read it on IG. The recap was lovely, it captured all the details and feels in each scene. 

And as much as i dont want to read the comments, my thumb making its own decision, Ha! :lol:

Surprisingly, 90% of the comments are positive.. at least for now :sweatingbullets:. I guess we all get swayed by the storyline and the chemistry of our OTP.

Although still i found one comment like:

Only watching it for side characters and main leads scenes are soul crushingly boring.

I can't help but laugh:D.. and rolling my eyes :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • LOL 9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 10:30 PM, thistle said:

Love your post.  :)

But, yes, overthinking maybe on this point because JH's mask is the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.  Remember how the Tin Man only wants a heart?  ;)

I think his mask might represent two characters - Tin man and a knight.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Tola Ir said:

I think his mask might represent two characters - Tin man and a knight.

A knight in shining armor come to rescue the damsel in distress?  That kind of applies to both SooHyun and JinHyuk toward each other lol

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/boyfriend-episode-8/

Okay, so i just got back from dramabeans recap for ep.8. even tho i had horrible experience reading those nasty comments on episode 7 recap, but, i decided to go to the page after i read it on IG. The recap was lovely, it captured all the details and feels in each scene. 

And as i dont want to read the comments, my thumb making its own decision, Ha! :lol:

Surprisingly, 90% of the comments are positive.. at least for now :sweatingbullets:. I guess we all get swayed by the storyline and the chemistry of our OTP.

Although still i found one comment like:

Only watching it for side characters and main leads scenes are soul crushingly boring.

I can't help but laugh:D.. and rolling my eyes :rolleyes:

So I sucked some air and went to take a peak and surprisingly I found myself scrolling down and reading more. Positive feedback alright! The only negative ones I read is why the kiss is too zoomed out. Which frankly, is not really negative for me.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

He had friends (HI, DC) but he could never confide to them. I guess, he was not really aware of his isolation.

Reading your comment and @charlieblue17 & @thistle made me realize why JH character is essential that way. One of the most common comments about JH’s character that I read is that he’s like a school boy, a “virgin” who’s having a crush on his teacher. That him smiling alot is annoying to mosr viewers. What they don’t say is, they want JH character to be hot or macho and broody. So the typical male tropes we see in kdramas today. While I dont entirely disagree with them (about the macho part), reading your guys’s comments make me understand why JH character has to stay the way it is. CSH would never have fallen for a smooth talker. She never would have opened up to that level with him.

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I don’t see a good response from his mother, honestly. Her mother’s personality is the definition of traditional wife and mother - who stays home, cleans the house, cooks the meal and takes care of everyone. So imagining JH telling his mom that he has fallen in love with the CEO of a big company and someone even older than him is not painting a good picture for him atm. 

• Like 17

Hmm...I read comments about JH's mother and makes  me worry....any other similar storyline obviously will makes things difficult with that kind of situation....just hoping that there'll be a twist that his mother like CSH despite of the negative reaction that we predicted based on her point of view about woman like Cha soo hyun..who knows that she might be all complaining and frustrating at first but ended up liking soo hyun and fall for her when she actually meet her in person...just like jin hyuk got attracted to SH when he first saw her in Cuba...

haish...what am I saying..just rambling...sorry chingus...:sweatingbullets:

• Like 9

3 hours ago, charlieblue17 said:

I think this is the most serious challenge that they're likely to face going forward. On one side, I do understand JH's reluctance to talk about the relationship. Their love is fresh and fragile and new, too precious to expose to discussion. Then there's the comment his mother made after ramyeon-gate and the fact that he got demoted/sent away because of her. He's going up against some very powerful people and his parents will be rightfully worried that he'll get hurt. Moreover once their relationship becomes public knowledge the whole family will become gossip topic by extension. As said, I totally get why he is tight lipped about it. But I hope he gets to tell his parents himself instead of them hearing it from the news. He's so fearless about every other challenge coming their way so it would be sad if he messes up with the people that matter the most.

I am seriously looking forward to this part of the drama!! If the writers are as clever as I think they are, we will see massive growth from JH when dealing with this obstacle. Whoever thinks JH has not been manly will and should get a good display of manliness once this situation hits the fan :D!!

I think it was episode 3 in the car when SH asked JH if he was a mummy's boy! I believe he denied it and said he just loves beef! However I think the audience are fully aware that he is a bit of a mama's boy and this will and should play a big part in their relationship! 

It's the perfect opportunity for JH to show some growth from his usual free spirit, smiley self to a more serious, will stop at nothing to be with his soul mate type of man! I really need to see this growth before the end of the series! As much as I love JH's character and I absolutely love PBG, I did find JH's character a tad too youthful in the first 2-3 episodes but as the episodes progressed, he is becoming more and more manly :wub:

I loved when he got slightly jealous when he was asking SH about Oppa's heart! You can see that he can be serious! I loved when he told HI to back off in episode 4(I think). Again, he seemed strong like he can be in a mature relationship! I really want to see him angry! I need to see that growth in him!! (I keep saying growth... :lol:)

What I am trying to say is that I am sold on the free spirited personality of JH but no man or woman is one-dimensional so it is important that we also get to see the other side of him!

• Like 13

I truly understand why KJH has to omit info about CSH and I think he has done white lie for his family properly.

In the scene he ran to CSH from Seoul to Sukso to have breakfast in early morn, he told CSH that he have behaved in good shape for a big while but he broke his rule to meet her straightaway because of missing. 

Even KSH is in love with CSH, he still has duty to be a good son. KSH knows what his parents, who have worked very hard for decades to feed the whole family, want to see their son not to be.

Why KJH has to hurt his parents’ heart with truth that he is in love with a older, divorced from chaebeol family which still actively try to manipulate CSH’s life, daughter of a politician, and CEO of his workplace...worse situation that his love life has already impacted his work life to be relocated to far away from such powerful CSH’s ex-husband family. (as his mom is wondering why he was promptly relocated)

Frankly speaking in the real world with normal life’s standard in Korea or in Asian countries, parents are unlikely to accept their son’s lover as CSH.

I agreed with KJH’s choice of a good son to exclude fact about his love life to his parents, at least for now.

• Like 12

This is so beautiful :heart:

cr. siheung

-------------------------

It seems that rookie actor Kim Woo Seok (Voice 2) watched Boyfriend

In video, soohyun called her ex husband's name, so Kim Woo Seok wrote on his caption, "ya...? Did you call me...?" :lol:

# But still write your mind
# It can not support wooseok
# But it looks like wooseok is a bit pitiful

-------------------------

There was a glimpse of Boyfriend drama (ep. 2) on SBS's variety show "We Will Channel You" (Rose Blackpink's part). Rose and people in the house also watched Boyfriend??? :w00t:

cr. rosieswhore

other link (more clear) SBS

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3