[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

6 hours ago, kingkong72 said:

Since 2019 is around the corner. I would like to throw a scenario for the possible ending of this drama.

CSH and KJH will not end up with each other. Somewhere before the story ends, it will be revealed to CSH that the true reason why her husband asked for a divorce was to free her from the controlling arms of MIL. It will be revealed to CSH also that WS doesn't have a real girlfriend and that everything he has done is just for a show. Some other important matters were also revealed in E8.  WS really love CSH and he personally said the words to her "Because it's regarding the woman I like" . WS also said in that conversation that he is not joking and that he find himself missing CSH a lot. Those words from WS made CSH thinking.

If the true reason for the divorce is revealed, CSH will find out that WS made a lot of sacrifices for the good of her. It looks like WS will start claiming back her ex-wife. Dropping more hints will ultimately make CSH think of her relationship with KJH. There's going to be a love triangle before the drama ends. KJH will ultimately sacrifice his love and allow CSH to get back to WS. WS will also break free from his mother so that he and CSH will have a happy life. End of drama.

So for the shippers of CSH and KJH, I apologize for breaking your ship. This is just a wild scenario that could possibly happen. Peace everyone.

Wow! Nice scenario. But I guess the plot is already committed to its goal. The couple are falling and falling for each other. The ex husband is weak letting her slip from his hands or maybe they are just not compatible. Just basing from CSH’s reaction towards him, just being in the same room with him stifles her. How can she get back with him when that means going back to her old sad life controlled by her ex MIL. She despises her past. I guess even if she doesn’t end up with KJH, she will never go back to that family again. I guess the obstacles are gearing towards her keeping the hotel at the same time having KJH by her side. I hope KJH can create a path that is not within the way of the hotel. Like if he can be successful in a different field where he can’t be controlled/subordinated. And maybe CSH can just give up the hotel and have a happily ever after with him. I hate that KJH is kind of powerless. Hoping for more great episodes ahead. Peace

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

This was a fairytale episode. 

You have the seperated lovers, a masquerade, a fairy godmother, and true loves first kiss at the stroke of midnight. 

I don't know how this show does it - blending the extraordinary into the ordinary. I really hope my thoughts make sense because I'm still not over it. 

Wasn't it wonderful just how much thought Jin Hyuk put into that masquerade - yes it was an important year end event, but he put in a personal touch that would reach Soo hyun - the announcement of it being a celebration of their Havana hotel opening and the salsa dancers - it would remind SH of their wonderful memories of Cuba and connect them even though he could not physically be there. He knew she would be missing him just as much as him. And all the detail in creating Sh's mask- he knows exactly what she needs, and this is why this couple works. 

And that kiss at the end, I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved how their was no hesitation, no dialogue, he sees how touched she is by that announcement, all that longing, and it just happens.
I wish the pd did focus on the moment though--he has given us beautiful shots of their hands and even their shoes, then why not that actual affection. The ending though was really sweet, with them gently swaying with each other. 

My other thoughts-
-Sh's confrontation with the director - this is such a remarkable change. She has come such a long way. Her speech was controlled but there was no mistaking the obvious anger and dominance.
- I just love Shk's acting in this drama, she is a big, big part of why their chemistry is just so natural and overflowing. Her secretly shedding a tear while observing JH - just gorgeous. 
- Jh's family is so warm and loving, I really liked his omma this episode... But why do I feel Jh's identity will get revealed and his mom makes the connections next episode. Her gut feeling isn't wrong. 
- On the other hand, something is seriously wrong in taeyong household. Ws mom is trying to protect him and his feelings and Ws is misguided ly going about his. Everything is twisted up. 
- The side characters and their stories are all interesting. I get the feeling that this show is perfectly cast. 
- I want to end with this quote - 
"You know when your in the middle of work, or you're asleep, or brushing your teeth, I find myself smiling alone thinking of these memories."
Me too, Soo Hyun, me too. Its gonna be a long wait for the next episode. 

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 5

Hi all!

I'm new here but I have been reading on Soompi for years but didn't feel compelled enough to sign up and post something until now. It's been amazing reading everyone's commentary and theories about the series and I don't think I have anything new to add but just wanted to say hi and perhaps go through the things I am enjoying about Encounter.

- I love PBG and I was sold as soon as it was announced he would be in the drama! I had my reservations too because it was with SHK but  that was quickly forgotten because it had been 2 years since MDBC.

- I like SHK too but I don't think I have ever finished any of her drama. For all the hype DOTS had, I only lasted until like episode 4 or 5. It takes a really good drama to pull my attention and an even greater drama to keep my attention! 

- I love, love, love... in case I am being overly subtle about how much I love this drama! "I love Encounter/ Boyfriend"!! :)

- I love it because the storyline is so simple, it actually blows my mind!!! :wub:

- I love it because they switched the story up but not in a weird way! I am a female but I would not consider myself a feminist as I believe in equality opportunities for both men and women and with a bit of common sense we can all go a long way. So if a drama is trying to pull a radical feminist agenda then I would be out the door. Encounter tells a story of a normal woman who just happens to be a CEO but not just a CEO by entitlement but by hard work! Great learning for all willing to learn from this great example! Guess what all CEO, including women CEO's want and need, someone to love them and actually show that love (Sorry WS, I like him but I will continue to favour him in my imagination, where I have written a beautiful love story for him in which he lived happily ever after with someone that is not SH B) ).

- I also love that Encounter did not make JH weak just to portray SH as a strong competent character instead we have a good looking, strong, manly, bold, brave, lovely, understanding, stubborn and very happy young man with the name of JH! Writer-nim Thank you!

Honestly I don't know what else to say to people that can't see how beautiful this drama is? Of course, I have not even mentioned the Cinematography, Arts, Framing of scenes, actually showing us how a romance grows rather than telling us while the couple jumps into their first kiss. A romance, this is something most people have completely forgotten about and what I love the most in a story! 

I can clearly see why there is a reference to Roman Holiday and fairy tales! Old Classic movies are full of romance. The lead couple might not even share a kiss but you will surely feel the love! People have talked about Notting Hill on this thread; UK movies/drams are typically full of romances, slightly different from US stuff! Since most of their movies/ dramas are from books! Which is why Encounter seems like a book, it builds and draws a vivid picture of the romance for our enjoyment. 

@gumtaek Thanks you so much for posting the difference between public and cable ratings! I have been so confused for a long time trying to make sense of why a mega popular drama has a lower rating than another drama that is not as popular. It's been a bit of a struggle trying to make sense of it! I finally do! Thanks

Ireland says Hi :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, Tola Ir said:

Ireland says Hi :D

Hi from the US.  My grandparents were from Ireland.  :)

Glad that you joined up to share with us.  I also lurked here for a long time.  

Encounter is such a great show, and I love all the fairy tale elements.  (Yes, I still think that SH's mask was a Green (wo)Man despite everyone else's theories. ;) )  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It warms my heart to read comments that they love this drama as much as I do.

I was a lurker for a long time too!

20 minutes ago, noonainwaiting said:

"You know when your in the middle of work, or you're asleep, or brushing your teeth, I find myself smiling alone thinking of these memories."

I just love this line so much :heart:

Please show how you love this drama by voting. We are less than a hundred leading. 

Choose the kakao logo to register (its in english)

https://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/poll/9320

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

It warms my heart to read comments that they love this drama as much as I do.

I was a lurker for a long time too!

I just love this line so much :heart:

Please show how you love this drama by voting. We are less than a hundred leading. 

Choose the kakao logo to register (its in english)

https://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/poll/9320

Done! 

@all I love all your thoughts, analysis, theories about this drama. I love, love, love this drama so much. :wub:

• Like 8

I just loved the way he prepared even the small details for the party, he knew she would want a mask that would cover her whole face, and the notes he took were so sweet, unlike her ex husband who just ask someone to find out how she was dressed, like if she was going to be dancing in the middle of the platform. This guy does not know his ex wife

• Like 16
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

If she did remarry WooSeok, wouldn't that essentially send him the message of:  "Ah.  I don't have to actively work at making the relationship between her and my mother better, as long as I do these little protective acts behind her back."  So far as we've seen, SooHyun responds best when people are direct with their words and actions.  (go back and rewatch the potato pancake scene and the 'woman I'm talking to is my mother' scene)

From that standpoint, I find it hard to believe that SooHyun would return to a man who struggled before, during, and after their marriage to tell her the most of basic of things... such as "I like you."  Even if the JinSoo couple does not stay together, I don't see any evidence that just because WooSeok made sacrifices for her and "loves" her, that would lead to SooHyun deciding she owes it to WooSeok to marry him again.

Edit: Maybe I'm just being too rigid?  But being in that toxic house again might cause SooHyun to need more than sleeping pills to get through the day...  I don't think anyone's silent sacrifices are worth needing to take pills, but that's just my opinions

There's about 8 more episodes to go to end this drama. I really think that somewhere along the way the Director and Writer will inject a twist to the story. I really can't imagine the Director and Writer going through 8 episodes of pure feel good scenes between CSH and KJH. The twist I am throwing is a possibility of a love triangle between WS, CSH and KJH.  This twist in all likelihood will break the heart of a lot of viewers. But then again, isn't it that most korean dramas are full of twist and turn? In order for WS to pursue CSH successfully, he has to breakaway from his Mom. He has to show everyone, CSH included, that he is a man of his own. If he can't breakaway from his mother then he won't be able to get back CSH. That is like a pre-condition. Until now we haven't seen a segment where CSH has expressed her true feelings with WS while they were still married. All the previous episodes were telling us that she lives in a toxic household because of her MIL. What if CSH learned to love WS also? 

That's all for now folks. I'm not trying to be the Grinch to your Christmas holidays. Sorry to the CSH - KJH shippers. I still maintain that this scenario is a wild one that may eventually happen. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

40 minutes ago, kingkong72 said:

There's about 8 more episodes to go to end this drama. I really think that somewhere along the way the Director and Writer will inject a twist to the story. I really can't imagine the Director and Writer going through 8 episodes of pure feel good scenes between CSH and KJH. The twist I am throwing is a possibility of a love triangle between WS, CSH and KJH.  This twist in all likelihood will break the heart of a lot of viewers. But then again, isn't it that most korean dramas are full of twist and turn? In order for WS to pursue CSH successfully, he has to breakaway from his Mom. He has to show everyone, CSH included, that he is a man of his own. If he can't breakaway from his mother then he won't be able to get back CSH. That is like a pre-condition. Until now we haven't seen a segment where CSH has expressed her true feelings with WS while they were still married. All the previous episodes were telling us that she lives in a toxic household because of her MIL. What if CSH learned to love WS also? 

That's all for now folks. I'm not trying to be the Grinch to your Christmas holidays. Sorry to the CSH - KJH shippers. I still maintain that this scenario is a wild one that may eventually happen. 

Sorry to break your wild guess , but WS is still one step behind in everything , and is still a supporting man no matter what haha. CSH is born for JH and vice versa.

look at the masquerade event and see how JH planned the event but also included the salsa performance , designed the mask himself for CSH knowing exactly what she likes and grabbed her hands right away in the dark while WS completely lost haha.

i hope our couple have a happy ending which is unlikely since the title of the drama is”Encounter” or “Boyfriend” which may indicate these two will just meet up , have sweet memories to keep for the rest of their lives.

• Like 11

Lot of people posted here how they think csh gonna endup with her ex. If that happens i swear i will drop this drama before it ends. I really cant watch sad ending kinda drama.. I go into depression and my whole month gonna be ruined.  Thats why i couldnt watch the last 2 episode of mr sunshine. I dropped it.. My tiny heart cant take it..

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

22 minutes ago, tshering12 said:

Lot of people posted here how they think csh gonna endup with her ex. If that happens i swear i will drop this drama before it ends. I really cant watch sad ending kinda drama.. I go into depression and my whole month gonna be ruined.  Thats why i couldnt watch the last 2 episode of mr sunshine. I dropped it.. My tiny heart cant take it..

I do not think that will happen--the love in this drama is so tender and so much like a fairy tale that it just has to come true.  Also, it has to be said, that trolls are gonna have a field day when they know that others feel the bite so they just keep trolling.  The atmosphere here has not been nice about taking sides because of the ex.

I also tend to drop dramas when the pain or the frustration gets to be too much (hey, I've even thought about dropping this thread).  If you feel like that, then I think that's a sign of a big heart rather than a tiny one because you feel the pain more, so be kind to yourself.  

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, tshering12 said:

I ageee and most likely I will do the same. We watch the drama to believe happiness do come to people who deserve it , and love can overcome any obstacles that these people are enduring. It’s not a fairytale since in real life I do see people actually  give up their status and wealth to be with the ones they love.

i can’t handle CSH tears as well as JH sad face on screen.

• Like 7

I believe this drama is filmed to make a point. This is not like any other drama where a girl and a boy meets, fall in love, have fights and goes right back together. This is so much more than that. It clarifies gaps among men and women in the society. This drama is like a starter pack. They show the people that this kind of love is possible and that this kind of union has been happening all around us and it is not different from any other relationship. Love is love. No matter the gaps or the differences. There’s no point to this drama if they wont end up together.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Annyeong chingu :D.....hmmm...i'm seldom posting here..but very2 love to read all chingu post here :D the plot twist maybe be happened but for WS and CSH end up together is a BigNoNo :lol: the reason i watch this drama because of song hye kyo and park bo gum a.k.a csh and kjh...we are lead to their beautiful love story until now.so i never see any possibility WS and CSH end up together unless PDnim decided to make this is like CSH dream at CUBA when leaning on KJH shoulder:P happy ending for CSH and KJH like in the main poster:wub:  

also loving their hugging and 1st kiss..so beautiful..:kiss_wink:

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

If the twist is CSH ending up with WS then I’d say this writer would probably be the worst. Why go back on the very world you’re trying to escape from,eh?

I doubt this will happen tho. As much as we know that WS isn’t all that bad, I agree that he is a step behind everything. What message would this drama convey if they were to reconcile? Besides, I just don’t see CSH’s character doing a complete 180 and falling in love with WS, not when episode 8 already happened.

Lastly, my clues to a happy ending with JH is that garden in Cuba. That old man said that the love began and completed there, if that’s not foreshadowing I don’t know what is. Oh, and is JH telling his brother that he might cry if he gets transferred abroad a foreshadowing too? 

• Like 12

With all the fuss about the kiss, it should be done in a dignified and respectable way, she's the ceo, they are in her hotel, in a public place with all eyes on them, so that was enough. How i wish the ex has seen this and it made some sense in his mind. WS might even have a plan for the night and invited reporters, to take pictures of them and publish to the world to see. But JH thinks ahead, always thinks ahead.

A 2ND time around with her ex?  Its like you have been released from your prison time and here you are again committing the same crime again and be prisoned again. WS did not loved SH. He didn't even respect her throughout her marriage. How can he be tight-lipped when his mother undendingly verbally abused SH?  He just let his mother do her thing. Even  in our life when we see someone experiencing  abuse, whoever he is, we extend our concern. What more if it is your wife. I just hate him. Hate is a strong word but thats the truth. And his actions now giving SH hints here and there, he is so arrogant.

Is money a big issue in their marriage?

In ep 1, when SH saw JH dancing in the street with the locals, she said, he won't take the money. And that made the first good impression for JH.

And as their 1st meeting progresses, she always asked if he has some money. 

SH was sold off for marriage. At 1st i thought its bec. of her father's politics but in the last ep it was revealed she was the debt's payment.

Maybe mil always put into SH's head that she is into that marriage not of anything else but as a payment of her family's debt. SH can't even buy anything without asking WS, and WS asking Mil. Its very apparent even the liberty of buying her own clothes was taken away.

But for JH in Cuba, he never hesitated. Even when his face showed he has little left on his pocket, still he never hesitated.

Encounter or boyfriend being the title enable us to think how far their relationship will take them. When SHK described her character, she said, upon meeting( i translate this as encounter) JH(i translate this as boyfriend), she found freedom and able to live the life she long for.

There are many obstacles but as in Cuba's motto "homeland( it means freedom to Cuban) or death: we shall overcome. They will overcome it, for love conquers all. Is there love bigger than JH's love for SH?  And as SH beginning to reciprocate that love, it will be a happy ending for them.

Happy holidays everyone!!!!!

Merry CHristmas!!!!

Edited by roshzanna
want to add something
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, tamanh nguyen said:

i hope our couple have a happy ending which is unlikely since the title of the drama is”Encounter” or “Boyfriend” which may indicate these two will just meet up , have sweet memories to keep for the rest of their lives.

I fully agree with you that there's not going to be a happy ending simply because of the drama title. Encounter/Boyfriend title in a way is a gimme as to what will be the final outcome of the drama. It's like love at first sight that eventually flourished into a true relationship stage. It means that the relationship will stop at the Boyfriend stage. The Director/Writer gave us all those feel good episodes from Episode 1 to 7. Finally he gave us the icing of the cake which was the kissing scene in E8. All the viewers were ecstatic and were singing Hallelujah. However, after giving the viewers fluttering hearts, the Director/Writer suddenly becomes naughty and will give us viewers heartaches and pain on the succeeding episodes. A twist and turn that will give the viewers a chance to use their hanky to wipe off their tears. That is Korean drama at its best.

As to @tshering12  I sincerely hope that my wild scenario should it happen won't bring you into depression. I'm still rooting for a CSH - KJH happy ending but I really think that the Director/Writer has already put down on the table the cards that tells otherwise. 

Peace everyone.

• Like 1